PDA

View Full Version : n00b C++ compile questions

MikePB
May 5th, 2005, 02:25 AM
mmkay, Yeah, I'm new still fairly new to Linux and programming C++, I was wondering how to compile and run a simple teminal program.

I used g++ and got a file called a.out, but don;t know what to do from there. The file says it's executable but won't run when I double-click it, nor when run from a terminal.

Help a poor n00b? :) :roll:

dataw0lf
May 5th, 2005, 03:11 AM
boringprompthere$ g++ foo.cpp -o foo
boringprompthere$ ./foo

lorap
May 6th, 2005, 09:52 AM
hi friend!
well the previous reply was very good.
this's mine one:
i use native unix compiler that's built in in any linux/unix system - cc.
to compile the file say "mixer.c" and build an object file do this:

cc -c mixer.c

if you wanna build an executable then you do this:

cc -o mixer mixer.c

this'll produce an executable "mixer".
if you've any questions how to create static and dynamic libraries then write to my private email:
prianfamily@gmail.com
feel free, i'm silly so no prob :-)
i'm not proposing you use anjuta or any other environment, but make everything by your hands so no way a poison gets in your food :-)

Kimm
May 6th, 2005, 11:02 AM
then theres just the problem to that a *.c file is not a C++ file [-X

MikePB, Linux does not work the same way as windows on this area (if it does in any area). A console program will start when you dubble click on it, the thing is woever that it will not open a console window automaticly, if you want to see the output you have to run it from the console, like so:

./a.out

if you want a different filename for your program, you can type (lets say the file is called green.cpp):

g++ green.cpp -o green

the file is now called green, to run it, type:

./green

LordHunter317
May 6th, 2005, 01:46 PM
i use native unix compiler that's built in in any linux/unix system - cc.As has been said, this is C++. There is no standard C++ compiler.

to compile the file say "mixer.c" and build an object file do this:

cc -c mixer.c

if you wanna build an executable then you do this:

cc -o mixer mixer.cIt's worth noting that this is about the limit of flags you can expect to be stanard across all UNIX.

i'm not proposing you use anjuta or any other environment, but make everything by your hands so no way a poison gets in your food :)This line of thinking is downright silly at best.