PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Satanic Edition - Released

parker13
December 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Discover your dark side by installing Ubuntu Satanic Edition!

The initial release, Evil Edgy, is now available and can be installed from a secure APT repository.

See the following link for screen shots and instructions:

http://parker1.co.uk/satanic

aidanr
December 13th, 2006, 09:59 PM
:twisted: haha, thats awesome!

zcal
December 13th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Are you serious? I can't tell...:confused:

Crooksey
December 13th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evil Edgy is a theme pack, is that enough to classify it as a ubuntu spin off?

BuffaloX
December 13th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Cool... I mean HOT.:twisted:

Since it doesn't possess you system.
It's not really satanic is it?

mcduck
December 13th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Well, why not. My box is full of strange daemons anyway :D

BigDave708
December 13th, 2006, 10:16 PM
You are going to request a third-party subforum here, right?

Choad
December 13th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Well, why not. My box is full of strange daemons anyway :D
hah!

i wish this forum had a rep system just for this post :)

parker13
December 13th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, it's currently just a theme pack. Still, everything has to start somewhere.

Then again, who needs a religious version of Ubuntu anyway?!

meng
December 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Yes, it's currently just a theme pack. Still, everything has to start somewhere.

Then again, who needs a religious version of Ubuntu anyway?!
Ooh them's fighting words! :D
In any case, you've successfully reignited the debate about what constitutes another distro, or for that matter what constitutes a spinoff! Let the flames begin!

parker13
December 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM
You are going to request a third-party subforum here, right?

Of course. Do you think they'd go for it? I guess it depends on how popular it is. My goal is for it to be adopted and supported by Canonical in a commercial environment :-)

After all, we already have the backing of the Devil himself. An I'm not talking Bill Gates!

Crooksey
December 13th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Theres theme packs, then there are sub versions of ubuntu.

You think people will give you a sub forum for some GTK themes?

SunnyRabbiera
December 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I am getting a laugh out of this seriously :D
I personally am working on a ubuntu flying spaghetti monster edition :D

parker13
December 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
No, I don't really think I'll get a sub-forum.

Maybe if we can come up with some packages to include in a fully fledged distro. GnomeSword? Nah.

parker13
December 13th, 2006, 10:34 PM

I can just see the GDM login screen now.

H.E. Pennypacker
December 13th, 2006, 10:41 PM
What about those of us who are good and don't associate with evil?

meng
December 13th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Depends on your definition of Satanism. Not everyone equates it with evil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

parker13
December 13th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Follow the installation instructions up to the point where you install Ubuntu Christian Edition...

...then stop.

SunnyRabbiera
December 13th, 2006, 10:47 PM

Come on wheres your fun spirit eh?
People take religion WAAAY to seriously

katgfan
December 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
You should do evil things with it or else nothing satanic about it. It will be like being a poser. POSER.

justin whitaker
December 13th, 2006, 11:00 PM

The initial release, Evil Edgy, is now available and can be installed from a secure APT repository.

That is awesome. My only quibble is that you didn't go far enough. Think Evil Entity Ubuntu edition.

BWF89
December 13th, 2006, 11:00 PM
That's awesome.

Johan!
December 13th, 2006, 11:03 PM
You should do evil things with it or else nothing satanic about it. It will be like being a poser. POSER.

He's planning world domination :)

parker13
December 13th, 2006, 11:06 PM

You can optionally donate your souls over PayPal.

jkroto
December 13th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Hi-larious
left my comments on your site....

justin whitaker
December 13th, 2006, 11:09 PM

Hell, I'm planning world domination, and I am not that evil. :rolleyes:

katgfan
December 13th, 2006, 11:10 PM
You can optionally donate your souls over PayPal.
Well silliness still does'nt equate to being Satanic.

parker13
December 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Hell, I'm planning world domination, and I am not that evil. :rolleyes:

What's the point of dominating the world if you aren't evil? That would be no fun at all.

parker13
December 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Well silliness still does'nt equate to being Satanic.

At last, some hostility. You're just the kind of person we're looking for.

You could download it and use it to send scathing posts to people.

katgfan
December 13th, 2006, 11:35 PM
At last, some hostility. You're just the kind of person we're looking for.

You could download it and use it to send scathing posts to people.
Hahahaha. I think your really a clown in a satan make-up. I'm outta here.

kuja
December 14th, 2006, 12:01 AM

Make the windows hot pink, that would be evil. EVIL i tell you! Or ooh, how about a steve ballmer wallpaper, how's that for evil?

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 12:26 AM
oh man this the greatest thing ever.....soon this shall be the distro of choice for black metal kids every where.....

Crooksey
December 14th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Ubuntu would be contradicting itself if it supported this, seeing as their is the Christian edition.

SunnyRabbiera
December 14th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Ubuntu would be contradicting itself if it supported this, seeing as their is the Christian edition.

well CE isnt really a ubuntu varient, its not really a official fork of ubuntu.
If it was I wouldnt use ubuntu as I like the separation of church and computer

alchimera
December 14th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Is this thread why the forum suddenly changed colour?

TrailerTrash
December 14th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Wtf? [-(

pseudonym
December 14th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I thought Ubuntu already was 'evil', what with nude wallpapers and all...

But, then again, I've been out of the loop for a while.

Hey if Ubuntu SE (Satanic Edition) can make my monitor spin around furiously spewing green goo everywhere, then it's got my vote! :D

mintcoffee
December 14th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I think satanic edition is a little strong. If it's just a dark theme, why not just call it 'dark' edition.. i mean, i don't exactly see how making a devil-worshipping OS can be any good for Ubuntu.

KiwiNZ
December 14th, 2006, 01:09 AM

No , its not an official Canonical Product

toydolls0101
December 14th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I think satanic edition is a little strong. If it's just a dark theme, why not just call it 'dark' edition.. i mean, i don't exactly see how making a devil-worshipping OS can be any good for Ubuntu.

This is satire. Also perhaps, flame bait to see if anyone from the CE forums will come over to complain about Ubuntu supporting satanism.

SunnyRabbiera
December 14th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Well i dont see how christianity could be good for ubuntu either, your point?

delfick
December 14th, 2006, 01:19 AM
(i couldn't be bothered reading the thread......already so many pages :D)

but

i LOVE IT!!

infact i'm installing it as i type (well not while i'm type, more like after, but that's beside the point :P :D)

pseudonym
December 14th, 2006, 01:40 AM
I don't wanna spoil the party, but did you guys know that if you install a regular Ubuntu CD backwards, you already get the 'Satanic Edition'? :D

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 01:40 AM
installed and loving it.... hmmm... also the logo should be a pentagram, where the circle of devils surround the upside down star with the goat head as well.....I am gonna whip something up to explain what I mean.......seriously I love this variant....

hail satan!

delfick
December 14th, 2006, 01:45 AM
installed and loving it.... hmmm... also the logo should be a pentagram, where the circle of devils surround the upside down star with the goat head as well.....I am gonna whip something up to explain what I mean.......seriously I love this variant....

that sounds cool :D

hail satan!

that sounds potentially dangerous :p

finferflu
December 14th, 2006, 01:47 AM
LOOOL!
The funniest thing is that there's a link to Ubuntu Christian Edition on the website!!! :D

M7S
December 14th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Since this is religious satire, wouldn't it be better of in the backyard?

KiwiNZ
December 14th, 2006, 02:01 AM
LOOOL!
The funniest thing is that there's a link to Ubuntu Christian Edition on the website!!! :D

That is bad taste to put that link there :rolleyes:

Please do not start an "us and them" thing here

Johan!
December 14th, 2006, 02:11 AM
The default starting sound should be changed to AC/DC - Highway to Hell

:twisted:

viper
December 14th, 2006, 02:24 AM

LOL crack me up :mrgreen:

weasel fierce
December 14th, 2006, 02:30 AM
This makes me want to do "Ubuntu - Heavy Metal edition"

Every time you click on anything, you will hear, at random, one of the following:

A woman wailing

A sword clanking

10 seconds of a random Manowar song

mhancoc7
December 14th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Let me first say that I understand that this is at least partially religious satire. I find satire very funny. I even see some humor in a few of the above posts. However, I do not like the subversive attack on Ubuntu CE. To encourage people to install the "satanic edition' over Ubuntu CE is just rude and childish.

I am not trying to flame this thread or concept. If you take the time to read this entire post I think you will agree.

I also wanted to address a few of the posts.

This is satire. Also perhaps, flame bait to see if anyone from the CE forums will come over to complain about Ubuntu supporting satanism.

Well, I am not here to flame at all. I think it is fine to create any edition of Ubuntu that you would like. That freedom is what allows me to create Ubuntu CE. I have always said that the users would decide if it would last. So if you have enough of a "following" then it will grow. If not it will fade away. I imagine that most of the folks that will use this will not be satanists, but will be young, rebellious, Ubuntu users who dislike Ubuntu CE or just want to look cool, but that is just my opinion.

Since this is religious satire, wouldn't it be better of in the backyard?

I agree.

That is actually the main problem that I have with this. I don't like the idea of a "satanic edition", but I think they deserve the same freedoms that I have been afforded. However, it is definitely in poor taste to attack Ubuntu CE in that manner.

Jereme, Ubuntu CE Developer

aidanr
December 14th, 2006, 02:34 AM
dugg!!:D
http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_Satanic_Edition_Released

maniacmusician
December 14th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I imagine that most of the folks that will use this will not be satanists, but will be young, rebellious, Ubuntu users who dislike Ubuntu CE or just want to look cool, but that is just my opinion.

Haha, phew, the devil is with me, I'm getting sudden urges to type things that I may regret :rolleyes: I think I really better be quiet now, lest my tainted rage tempt me to strike out at others :-#

this thread reminds me most of The Excorcist....classic movie. :-k

loell
December 14th, 2006, 02:50 AM
hmm, what possible daibolical ebook could be included on this edition?

possible suggestion are,

1, a wallpaper with an upside down crucifics

2. an iso size of 666 MB

:-k maybe i'll add some more later :twisted:

Peepsalot
December 14th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Depends on your definition of Satanism. Not everyone equates it with evil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism
You know, I never bothered to see what Satanism was about, but now that I've read that, I decided that I am a Satanist. I found that the majority of the things written there were already a part of my philosophy. I already considered Myself to be My own God. :twisted: Now I have a word for my religious stance.

P_Badger
December 14th, 2006, 03:01 AM
hmm, what possible daibolical ebook could be included on this edition?

Well, I'd suggest "The Satanic Bible" by Anton LeVey, for one. Recommended reading for the budding Satanist.

meng
December 14th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I don't believe that anyone in this thread has attacked Ubuntu CE, indeed I submit that comment has been appropriately restrained. However, I too would caution others to refrain from attacks.

augied
December 14th, 2006, 03:12 AM
You know, I never bothered to see what Satanism was about, but now that I've read that, I decided that I am a Satanist. I found that the majority of the things written there were already a part of my philosophy. I already considered Myself to be My own God. :twisted: Now I have a word for my religious stance.

The same goes for me.

By the way, will this work with Dapper? I manage a computer running Dapper at my school (I may be getting a few more in the near future) and I would love the chance to corrupt my schoolmates.

loell
December 14th, 2006, 03:13 AM
what bothers is, if someone will feature an article possibly on Digg

" A man demonically possess, after using linux " , added with a youtube video , of a horrible looking person sitting in front of the computer, spinning or rotating his head 360 degrees.

Peepsalot
December 14th, 2006, 03:19 AM
what bothers is, if someone will feature an article possibly on Digg

" A man demonically possess, after using linux " , added with a youtube video , of a horrible looking person sitting in front of the computer, spinning or rotating his head 360 degrees.
Haha, actually I hope someone does that. It would be hilarious. Anyone who would actually believe a video like that is already too far gone.

hanzomon4
December 14th, 2006, 03:20 AM

You folks are so EviL :^o :mrgreen:

hardyn
December 14th, 2006, 03:35 AM
The 666Mb iso file size is waaay to cool to not do!

... and i think we all need to chill out a little, if you don't like the idea of the SE... DONT RUN IT... its really that simple.

out of curiousity, how would SE differ from the standard stream if it were to become a distro? i mean, are there any apps that really have an evil vibe about them?

HAHA i love this... its computing, it supposed to be fun... and stuff like this is exactly what keeping life interesting!... definately a gooder!

troymcdavis
December 14th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Well, as for applications, there is the obvious choice:

SATAN (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=122209) :twisted:

plb
December 14th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Is there a custom devilish wallpaper? If not, I suggest one...devils holding hands or something :p

pseudonym
December 14th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Oh yeah, and what about all those 'demons' you'll be running?

Not to mention the scary possibility of 'dependency hell!....hahahaha:D

emarkay
December 14th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Well since there's no Ubuntu Atheists edition....

(Seriously, way cool and someone needs to Digg this!)

pseudonym
December 14th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Well since there's no Ubuntu Atheists edition....

What would that be? A blank CD?

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 03:51 AM
that sounds potentially dangerous :p

hahahaha....it was a joke I hope no one takes that seriously, but I love this edition.....

and yes this version so made me wanna do a death/black/grind/goregrind metal variant of ubuntu.

stanjam
December 14th, 2006, 03:53 AM
I really like the graphics! I am not so thrilled with the "Satan" part. Is there any way that the "Satanic Version" part can be edited out with say gimp? Where do I find the file to edit and do you think the creator would mind (if I promise not to distribute it)?

hardyn
December 14th, 2006, 04:13 AM
I think it will be okey ;)

plb
December 14th, 2006, 04:25 AM
you need custom sounds and icon set

bruenig
December 14th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Absolute genius, nothing like reductio ad absurdum to hit back.

I would have preferred Ubuntu Flying Spaghetti Monster Edition, but effective nonetheless.

SunnyRabbiera
December 14th, 2006, 04:39 AM
What would that be? A blank CD?

Nahh not really, it would just have more sciency stuff on it.
But the flying spaghetti monster edition will blow anyone away :D

plb
December 14th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Now what about Scientology and Hindu edition or even better, pirate and ninja editions!

SunnyRabbiera
December 14th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Pirate edition would be with the flying saghetti monster as pirates are favored by the great noodly one :D

pseudonym
December 14th, 2006, 04:57 AM
lest they start to feel left out, let's not forget the Tooth Fairy edition or, seeing it's that time of year, the Santa Claus edition :)

SunnyRabbiera
December 14th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Santa gets too much publicity, I rather have Harold the Rabbi :D

bruenig
December 14th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Let me first say that I understand that this is at least partially religious satire. I find satire very funny. I even see some humor in a few of the above posts. However, I do not like the subversive attack on Ubuntu CE. To encourage people to install the "satanic edition' over Ubuntu CE is just rude and childish.
One could say the same for those who wish to encourage people to install Ubuntu CE over Ubuntu. The only difference between CE and SE, is that CE has artwork changes and one extra app, whereas SE only has the artwork changes.

Well, I am not here to flame at all. I think it is fine to create any edition of Ubuntu that you would like. That freedom is what allows me to create Ubuntu CE. I have always said that the users would decide if it would last. So if you have enough of a "following" then it will grow. If not it will fade away. I imagine that most of the folks that will use this will not be satanists, but will be young, rebellious, Ubuntu users who dislike Ubuntu CE or just want to look cool, but that is just my opinion.
What a huge double standard allowing this post to stay up is. I personally would support that it stand, but for all the posts and even entire threads that were thrown out for being even moderately critical of Ubuntu CE, and then this guy says that the people who install this only want to look cool. How he can question their motives and judge them on the basis of their choice to fork, but any attack on a person who might choose CE is silenced? This is nothing but a double standard.

That is actually the main problem that I have with this. I don't like the idea of a "satanic edition", but I think they deserve the same freedoms that I have been afforded. However, it is definitely in poor taste to attack Ubuntu CE in that manner.
Poor taste? This is the only way any such opposition could even be framed. Any outright opposition is silenced and even a subforum is created to accomodate. I may personally entertain the idea that it is in poor taste to fork ubuntu to add a cross to the artwork, but then again the only way for me to communicate that is through satire, which is "poor taste." Love me some catch 22.

bruenig, Ubuntu Invisible Pink Unicorn Edition (IPUE) developer

P.S. If you don't already know, you all already have Ubuntu IPUE installed, all the official artwork has the invisible pink unicorn on it.

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 05:18 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/redemma/satan/logo-2.jpg

or if you dont like the flames

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/redemma/satan/logo.jpg

this is a quick and dirty put together, so no flames plx, just an idea to the logo modification

also any chance the usplash progress bar were brighter red/color its hard to see imo.

MetalMusicAddict
December 14th, 2006, 05:18 AM
***_MMA_ thrashes around the room to Deicide's "Once Upon The Cross" in celebration of all that is evil. \m/

Im up to my eyes in work with Ubuntu Studio but I SO gotta help with this, even if it is just parody. :)

Is one actually a developer if they just use Reconstructor to add apps and art? ;)

meng
December 14th, 2006, 05:28 AM
I find it interesting that months ago when the idea of an Ubuntu Satanist/Atheist Edition was floated in counterpoint to the existence of a Christian Edition, it hardly raised eyebrows. Now that there's a concrete entity called Ubuntu SE, although it's purely a cosmetic difference from Ubuntu itself, there's more of a glimmer of controversy.

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 05:32 AM
btw I have modified Dropline Neu! 0.6 preview 3 to use a red/dark red over the blue, since the license on the original is GPL I think I can send it your way if you so choose to use it.

KiwiNZ
December 14th, 2006, 05:33 AM

I am not trying to flame this thread or concept. If you take the time to read this entire post I think you will agree.

I also wanted to address a few of the posts.

I agree.

Please do not make this an "us and them" situation.
I do not want a flame war to break out over this or any other editions that may develop.
Each has a right to exist . Each to their own .

mhancoc7
December 14th, 2006, 06:08 AM
One could say the same for those who wish to encourage people to install Ubuntu CE over Ubuntu. The only difference between CE and SE, is that CE has artwork changes and one extra app, whereas SE only has the artwork changes.

First of all Ubuntu CE contains much more than artwork changes and one extra app.

Secondly, I never "suggested" anyone to install Ubuntu CE over Ubuntu. The implication behind the statement (http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/installation/) on Ubuntu SE's site that "suggests (http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/installation/)" that users install over Ubuntu CE is an obvious attack on the fact that it is a Christian distro.

What a huge double standard allowing this post to stay up is. I personally would support that it stand, but for all the posts and even entire threads that were thrown out for being even moderately critical of Ubuntu CE, and then this guy says that the people who install this only want to look cool. How he can question their motives and judge them on the basis of their choice to fork, but any attack on a person who might choose CE is silenced? This is nothing but a double standard.

I made one small observation. I am not attacking your or anyone elses faith. That is why many of the posts from the original Ubuntu CE thread were jailed or moved to the backyard. If you would take the time to really look at what I am saying you would see that I support the Freedom to build and distribute any Ubuntu variant that you would like. I have also shown the same support (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1756526&postcount=98) for the Gaybuntu (http://www.gaybuntu.com/) project.

Poor taste? This is the only way any such opposition could even be framed. Any outright opposition is silenced and even a subforum is created to accomodate. I may personally entertain the idea that it is in poor taste to fork ubuntu to add a cross to the artwork, but then again the only way for me to communicate that is through satire, which is "poor taste." Love me some catch 22.

The "Poor Taste" comment is not in regards to the fact that this is a satanic edition. It is in regard to the obvious attack by "suggesting" that users should install Ubuntu SE over Ubuntu CE (http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/installation/). I would never dream of suggesting that users should install Ubuntu CE over Ubuntu SE. That would be obsured and childish of me.

Also if you are truly interested you can read what my opinion is on the sub-forums here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1759743&postcount=136). It was in regard to the Gaybuntu (http://www.gaybuntu.com/) project but would be the same for Ubuntu SE.

Please do not make this an "us and them" situation.
I do not want a flame war to break out over this or any other editions that may develop.
Each has a right to exist . Each to their own .

I apologize for possibly causing any trouble. I hope you know from my past conduct on this forum that I am not one to attack. I was actually hoping to show that I do support the Freedom to create such an edition even if I disagree with it. I tried to do the same (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299027&page=10) for the Gaybuntu (http://www.gaybuntu.com/) project. I was also confronted (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1760972&postcount=147) by those that focused on the fact that I disagreed and not on the fact that I support their Freedom to create it.

I will do my best to either steer clear of this thread or to at least keep my posts to a minimum. I only intend to address posts that are not accurate when they involve Ubuntu CE or my opinions on the matter of Ubuntu SE.

Thanks, Jereme

BuffaloX
December 14th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I really like the graphics! I am not so thrilled with the "Satan" part. Is there any way that the "Satanic Version" part can be edited out with say gimp? Where do I find the file to edit and do you think the creator would mind (if I promise not to distribute it)?

You could just paint a cross over it, that should get rid of any satanic influence.
At least that's what i heard.
You can also just say a prayer before installing.
If this doesnt work, you may need a preast present.

Anonii
December 14th, 2006, 06:12 AM

I freaking love you, seriously.
I love you.
I wanted to do the exact same thing but with Cthulhu (which I will probably, still, do) after I graduate.
I won't uninstall my current Ubuntu desktop, but I will support SE, for great justice.

PS: Can I have your kids?

MetalMusicAddict
December 14th, 2006, 06:13 AM
First of all Ubuntu CE contains much more than artwork changes and one extra app.

And those would be?

mhancoc7
December 14th, 2006, 06:21 AM
And those would be?

Well here is the features list of the current release of Ubuntu CE (Edgy).

Based directly on Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) 6.10 "Edgy Eft"
GnomeSword (http://gnomesword.sourceforge.net/) Bible Study Software
Dansguardian (http://dansguardian.org/) Web Content Parental Controls with graphical interface
Can be used as a network proxy/filtering server by setting the other systems proxy settings to the IP address of the Ubuntu CE system and port 8080.
Firefox proxy settings are locked down to keep users from bypassing the filtering.
Access denied log viewable as text based and html based.
Be sure to read our Web Filtering Tips (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/2006/09/web-filtering-tips.html).
GnuCash (http://www.gnucash.org/index.phtml) Financial Management Software
OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/)
Firefox Web Browser (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/) with Faith Browser Theme (http://www.faithbrowser.com/)
Automatix2 (http://www.getautomatix.com/)
Daily Bible Verse Feature
Ubuntu CE Installer
Planner Project Scheduler (http://www.simpleprojectmanagement.com/planner/)
Scribus Desktop Publisher (http://www.scribus.net/)
Nvu Web Authoring System (http://www.nvu.com/index.php)
and much more...Want to see the Ubuntu Christian Edition Video?
Click Here (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/2006/10/ubuntu-christian-edition-video.html)

Want to see Ubuntu Christian Edition Screenshots?
Click Here (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/2006/08/ubuntu-christian-edition-screenshots.html)

There is more changes in store for the next release as well. If you are interested you can read the following thread that gives a preview of Ubuntu CE v2.1 (Edgy) and Ubuntu CE v1.5.1 (Dapper).

Ubuntu CE v2.1 (Edgy) Preview (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=317272)

Jereme

Anonii
December 14th, 2006, 06:22 AM
And those would be?
Probably some bible zealotry software, and well some crosses and stuff.
I think I'll prepare some artwork, just for fun, when I have some free time.

mhancoc7
December 14th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Probably some bible zealotry software, and well some crosses and stuff.
I think I'll prepare some artwork, just for fun, when I have some free time.

See:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1884126&postcount=89

Jereme

sloggerkhan
December 14th, 2006, 06:37 AM
I think this is pretty cool! Kudos.
Now we need an extra-terrestrial version: Ubuntu ET.

Planning to have it play the sound tortured souls screaming in pain when users log in?

meng
December 14th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I don't understand how someone can agree or disagree with a distribution. I can understand the issue of agreement/support (or the opposite) can apply to:
- The right to create, promote and distribute a distro.
- Whether or not the distro is worth installing.
- Whether or not the effort that went into creating the distro warrants it being considered an entirely separate distro, a derivative, or just a facelift.
- The beliefs of the groups of users that a distro is ostensibly aimed at (this is quite a nebulous concept as it applies to SE)

but to agree/disagree with a distro itself? That makes no sense to me.

MetalMusicAddict
December 14th, 2006, 06:52 AM
- Whether or not the effort that went into creating the distro warrants it being considered an entirely separate distro, a derivative, or just a facelift.

This is my issue. Reconstructor FTW!!! :)

hanzomon4
December 14th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I'll way in on the good evil deal.. It's the person not their religion, or lack of it, that makes her/him evil.
Great evil is committed in the name of God, but it's the evil bastards.. not God or their religion thats evil.

I don't know any real satanist but I'm sure their no more good or bad then anyone else... and besides if any(Christian or Satanist, or whatever) start spewing green stuff at me, I'll go straight exorcist
The Power of Christ compels you.... The Power of Christ compels you.... The Power of Christ compels you.... etc

Really we got more issues then Religion or Religious based distros... Saying that, I support SE and CE and "whatever the spaghetti thing is"E.... insert your thing(not that thing)edition... I just don't think folks have much to fight about(most of us are not fighting)

loell
December 14th, 2006, 10:32 AM
perhaps this statement should be edited

Judas My Guide

Ubuntu Satanic Edition can be installed over any Ubuntu Edgy variant. We suggest Ubuntu Christian Edition, but the standard Ubuntu will do fine. Just download from here:

(http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/installation/)

to avoid further reactions from the CE's side.

analysing the whole thread,

SE is about fun and celebration of freedom in a non conservative way, but with that statement above, it is also suggest mocking CE. i do hope its not.

parker13
December 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM
perhaps this statement should be edited

Judas My Guide

Ubuntu Satanic Edition can be installed over any Ubuntu Edgy variant. We suggest Ubuntu Christian Edition, but the standard Ubuntu will do fine. Just download from here:

(http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/installation/)

to avoid further reactions from the CE's side.

analysing the whole thread,

SE is about fun and celebration of freedom in a non conservative way, but with that statement above, it is also suggest mocking CE. i do hope its not.

Maybe we're *slightly* mocking Ubuntu CE. But, after all, we're Evil so we don't have to be nice to everybody. I have no doubt that their faith can take it.

We're here to redress the balance. Good cannot exist without evil. The distros are two sides of the same coin and the links on our site reflect that.

happy-and-lost
December 14th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Nice one! Maybe it should use the Beastie controls, though.

_simon_
December 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I haven't installed it but this wallpaper looks cool with this beryl skydome image and cube opacity set to 50 when not moving :)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Beowulf1976/SIMON/th_satanic.jpg (http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Beowulf1976/SIMON/satanic.jpg)

Click to enlarge.

parker13
December 14th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I haven't installed it but this wallpaper looks cool with this beryl skydome image and cube opacity set to 50 when not moving :)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Beowulf1976/SIMON/th_satanic.jpg (http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Beowulf1976/SIMON/satanic.jpg)

Click to enlarge.

Wow. Very nice!

Never thought something called "Beryl" could look so Evil.

Erik Trybom
December 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM
There are two sides of this coin.

One is, everyone has the right to create their own Linux distro. It's stated clearly in the GPL, and it has similarities with our essential freedoms - free speech, freedom of religion, and so on. As long as they don't hurt anyone they cannot, and should not, suffer any legal action or violence from people who think different. Ubuntu CE falls under this category.

The other side is that "respect", meaning "shouldn't be criticised", is not a part of these rights. Everyone has the right to criticise, mock, or in any other way display contempt for other people. This includes mocking people for making a stupid Linux distro. You can think whatever you want of it, but it is a freedom just as essential as the one of following the religion/creating the distro in the first place. Ubuntu SE falls under this category.

To put it short: Jereme and his team does have the right to create a Christian edition of Ubuntu. However, Garry has exactly the same right to mock them by releasing a Satanic edition.

The interesting question is what the Ubuntu officials say about this. Ubuntu is trademarked. Canonical shouldn't have any trouble taking legal action against any of these names, if they disapprove. And that, I believe, is the real discussion - what can be tolerated under the Ubuntu name?

Here's a question to Jereme and Garry: Did you contact Canonical about trademark issues using the Ubuntu name for your distro?

parker13
December 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM
There are two sides of this coin.

One is, everyone has the right to create their own Linux distro. It's stated clearly in the GPL, and it has similarities with our essential freedoms - free speech, freedom of religion, and so on. As long as they don't hurt anyone they cannot, and should not, suffer any legal action or violence from people who think different. Ubuntu CE falls under this category.

The other side is that "respect", meaning "shouldn't be criticised", is not a part of these rights. Everyone has the right to criticise, mock, or in any other way display contempt for other people. This includes mocking people for making a stupid Linux distro. You can think whatever you want of it, but it is a freedom just as essential as the one of following the religion/creating the distro in the first place. Ubuntu SE falls under this category.

To put it short: Jereme and his team does have the right to create a Christian edition of Ubuntu. However, Garry has exactly the same right to mock them by releasing a Satanic edition.

The interesting question is what the Ubuntu officials say about this. Ubuntu is trademarked. Canonical shouldn't have any trouble taking legal action against any of these names, if they disapprove. And that, I believe, is the real discussion - what can be tolerated under the Ubuntu name?

Here's a question to Jereme and Garry: Did you contact Canonical about trademark issues using the Ubuntu name for your distro?

No, but if they complain I'll change it to Beelzebuntu. I'm pretty sure they haven't got that one trademarked.

On a serious note, I have been very careful not to use any copyrighted images or material in the construction of Ubuntu SE. GNU and creative commons are great things and should be encouraged.

Tomosaur
December 14th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Real life article:
Thursday, 14th December 2006. In America, children sleep soundly in their beds. In Europe, all is not well. The communist regimes have created new laws which demand that all computers must run one operating system. Rather than a good, Christian, American OS, this one is evil. It is called 'Ubuntu Satanic Edition'. This software creates a portal to the underworld by providing hacked versions of American software. This means that any person who uses the software will die within six hundred and sixty six seconds. The software also causes your monitor to explode, and suffocates your children with sulphur. It pushes old people down stairs, and stamps puppies to death. The system is controlled by demons, who handle all ordinary tasks such as printing and networking, but rather than using electricity, they are powered by the souls of the damned. The software is based off software originally written by a Soviet hacker called Linyus Torovoldas. The original software was designed to cause massive damage to the American economy during the cold war, and also to detonate nuclear bombs over the planet. Linyus is thought to be actively funding Al Qaeda, the well known terrorist organisation, while Marcus Shuttelworth, a South African communist dictator, is currently in hiding after allegations that his own offshoot of the original software, called 'Ubuntu', is responsible for 9/11.

More details to follow.

argie
December 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I love the flames on the artwork! Just beautiful.

Where are the hidden keyloggers and rootkits that'd make this truly satanic? Forget i asked :)

bruenig
December 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I made one small observation. I am not attacking your or anyone elses faith. That is why many of the posts from the original Ubuntu CE thread were jailed or moved to the backyard. If you would take the time to really look at what I am saying you would see that I support the Freedom to build and distribute any Ubuntu variant that you would like. I have also shown the same support for the Gaybuntu project.

Gays == Satanists

Or did I misread?

BTW, I love me some leviticus 20:13 as I am sure you do too.

xopher
December 14th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Eh. Truly satanic. Not my thing though, Im not into religions ;)

Ubuntu Satanic Edition can be installed over any Ubuntu Edgy variant. We suggest Ubuntu Christian Edition, but the standard Ubuntu will do fine.

Made me laugh though, great work :rolleyes:

deanlinkous
December 14th, 2006, 03:29 PM
No, but if they complain I'll change it to Beelzebuntu. I'm pretty sure they haven't got that one trademarked.

On a serious note, I have been very careful not to use any copyrighted images or material in the construction of Ubuntu SE. GNU and creative commons are great things and should be encouraged.

Actually that probably would be close enough to Ubuntu to be a trademark issue. Of course for Ubuntu to allow the name usage on a christian edition and not on a satanic edition would not look good IMO.

Looks like this is just a theme pack thingy so you could probably get away with the name 'Satanic Theme Pack' for Ubuntu(tm) and then mention who owns the trademark. If it ever becomes a distro then maybe call it 'u b Satanic' :)

the flames are cool...err hot or whatever - neat looking in other words...

Nonno Bassotto
December 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM
:biggrin: :D :D :D :lol: :biggrin: This is the funniest thread ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nonno Bassotto
December 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
You should also add Beast (http://beast.gtk.org/) to the default software!

_simon_
December 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Wow. Very nice!

Never thought something called "Beryl" could look so Evil.

Feel free to use that screenshot on your site ;)

Here's the skydome image: http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Beowulf1976/SIMON/th_fire.png (http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Beowulf1976/SIMON/fire.png)

Note: I don't own the image and have no idea who does but it's done the rounds on the beryl forum a few months back.

MetalMusicAddict
December 14th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Ubuntu SE : "Linux for Demons" :twisted:

deanlinkous
December 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
USE
'Satanic edition of Ubuntu(tm)'

fuscia
December 14th, 2006, 04:33 PM
However, it is definitely in poor taste to attack Ubuntu CE in that manner.

turn the other cheek. where do you get this 'poor taste' notion? ubuntu se is fairly tame, as satire goes. you're not suggesting that ubuntu ce is deserving of special reverence, are you?

SVDtiger
December 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM
"I thought Ubuntu already was 'evil', what with nude wallpapers and all..."

if i could actually see well or even a wee bit better again i would be needing a noob herding link for some wallpaper and all :mrgreen:

a Manowar audio desktop for the sight challenged :cool: hehe

bottom line for me is Ubuntu is this semi blind goats savior no matter what theme is running.

happy holidays to all no matter what path you tred or think you tred :)

tsallinia
December 14th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I think it is rediculous. I mean... what the computer has to do with the computer? I believe in christ. that means that i have to put jesus on desktop?no. it has nothing to do with our beliefs!

MetalMusicAddict
December 14th, 2006, 04:47 PM
a Manowar audio desktop for the sight challenged :cool: hehe

No. Deicide (http://www.google.com/search?q=Deicide&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&sa=N&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=iw) is a much better fit. ;)

M7S
December 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM
If you would change "Ubuntu Satanic Edition can be installed over any Ubuntu Edgy variant. We suggest Ubuntu Christian Edition, but the standard Ubuntu will do fine." to something like "Ubuntu Satanic Edition can be installed over any Ubuntu Edgy variant, even over Ubuntu Christian Edition" it wouldn't imho be poor taste anymore. Right now it tastes as badly as the letter Shuttleworth wrote to opensuse's mailing list to win over developers to Ubuntu.

Anonii
December 14th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Actually nevermind. I'm not doing a wallpaper. It will be somewhat controversial and some people,with excellent humour and understanding of irony, will find it "poor taste".

(By the way, you should make the Ubuntu SE logo available in high resolution, I couldnt find it anywhere. Just some low quality screenshots.)

kuja
December 14th, 2006, 05:03 PM
If you would change "Ubuntu Satanic Edition can be installed over any Ubuntu Edgy variant. We suggest Ubuntu Christian Edition, but the standard Ubuntu will do fine." to something like "Ubuntu Satanic Edition can be installed over any Ubuntu Edgy variant, even over Ubuntu Christian Edition" it wouldn't imho be poor taste anymore. Right now it tastes as badly as the letter Shuttleworth wrote to opensuse's mailing list to win over developers to Ubuntu.

I'm kind of curious as to whether that actually won over any developers ... I'd think it unlikely, but hey, it could have happened :)

Hendrixski
December 14th, 2006, 05:08 PM
ummmm..... k?

It's good to know that people have that kind of time to waste.

Is there an Ubuntu JE (Jewish edition) or Ubuntu ME (Muslim edition) or Ubuntu ComE (Communist edition for hardcore atheists)?

I have to try out the Ubuntu CE, maybe I can recommend it to some of my friends at church.

Anonii
December 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM
ummmm..... k?

Is there an Ubuntu JE (Jewish edition) or Ubuntu ME (Muslim edition) or Ubuntu ComE (Communist edition for hardcore atheists)?

I have to try out the Ubuntu CE, maybe I can recommend it to some of my friends at church.
The last sentence was pure irony or you were, actually, contradicting yourself?

Tomosaur
December 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM

This is not the UN. Why does everything have to be worded so perfectly as to avoid upsetting anyone on the planet? I'm sure the CE guys can handle a little light-hearted joke. It's not like they're stabbing them in the eyeballs.

doobit
December 14th, 2006, 05:19 PM
This is not the UN. Why does everything have to be worded so perfectly as to avoid upsetting anyone on the planet? I'm sure the CE guys can handle a little light-hearted joke. It's not like they're stabbing them in the eyeballs.

Yeah, besides, we know God wins in the end.

MetalMusicAddict
December 14th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Exactly. ;)

jkroto
December 14th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Discover your dark side

The startup music should be the obligatory 'devil walks into the room' music, i.e. Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. Don't know it by name?? bet you have heard it before.
Check out this article http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6471891, and listen to 'O Fortuna' if you get a chance. Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Can't wait to get this setup with my Beryl. Looking forward to 'Feisty Spawn' or whatever you choose to call it.

Also, big fan of your avatar/symbol. Would like to see it on a black coffee mug or t-shirt... Would make a great conversation piece, and, I think that is what Ubuntu needs, good conversation pieces to help spread the word about the great things this software can do (and the great people of all affiliations using it!!) and help with bug #1. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bugs)

Brunellus
December 14th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I never found Orff's Carmina Burana particularly "evil." Naughty in places (O how I loved "In taberna quando sumus...") but not evil.

parker13
December 14th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Actually nevermind. I'm not doing a wallpaper. It will be somewhat controversial and some people,with excellent humour and understanding of irony, will find it "poor taste".

(By the way, you should make the Ubuntu SE logo available in high resolution, I couldnt find it anywhere. Just some low quality screenshots.)

To find high-res versions of the logos and screen shots, go to:

http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/screenshots/

Click on an image and you'll be taken to a Picasa web album. There, the images are available for download at 1600x1200.

parker13
December 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM
The startup music should be the obligatory 'devil walks into the room' music, i.e. Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. Don't know it by name?? bet you have heard it before.
Check out this article http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6471891, and listen to 'O Fortuna' if you get a chance. Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Can't wait to get this setup with my Beryl. Looking forward to 'Feisty Spawn' or whatever you choose to call it.

Also, big fan of your avatar/symbol. Would like to see it on a black coffee mug or t-shirt... Would make a great conversation piece, and, I think that is what Ubuntu needs, good conversation pieces to help spread the word about the great things this software can do (and the great people of all affiliations using it!!) and help with bug #1. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bugs)

You can easily download the logo - see my previous post.

Then just send it off to one of the online photo places - they'll stick it on a mug for you.

Hendrixski
December 14th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Oh yeah, Ubuntu Satanic Edition would go over really well with the church crowd. Best advertising idea ever: send a copy to Pat Robertson. Imagine all the exposure Linux would get if we made it into one of his sermons.

Thou sayest.

jkroto
December 14th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I never found Orff's Carmina Burana particularly "evil." Naughty in places (O how I loved "In taberna quando sumus...") but not evil.

Perhaps not evil, maybe dastardly? Regardless, beautiful scores just the same.

Reason it congers images of evil is from watching South Park. There was a character named Damion, and every time he entered a scene I think this was the music that played... still makes me laugh.

meng
December 14th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Pigeons ... meet my friend the cat!
Kudos to everyone here for keeping the discussion civil.

jeremy
December 14th, 2006, 07:24 PM
ummmm..... k?

Does anyone know where the UbuntuAE (Aetheist Edition) repo is?

DirtDawg
December 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, besides, we know God wins in the end.

For those of you who don't, here (http://weeklyhilarity.com/images/vanguard/thebible.gif) is a quick review.

Burgresso
December 14th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Are these versions for real?

Is someone really making a Flying Spaghettin Monster version?

I would like to see Ubuntu approval for these...

But, are they for real? :-k

happy-and-lost
December 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Yes! Piratebuntu for Pastafarians!

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I believe the satanic edition or flying spaghetti monster will never be officially supported or recognized by ubuntu.

meng
December 14th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I believe the satanic edition or flying spaghetti monster will never be officially supported or recognized by ubuntu.
Ubuntu has no obligation to support spinoffs (it doesn't support CE to my knowledge), and as for recognition - what do you mean by recognition? Acknowledgment that it exists? SE officially exists, for what it's worth, and I can't see any point to denying that reality.

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Ubuntu has no obligation to support spinoffs (it doesn't support CE to my knowledge), and as for recognition - what do you mean by recognition? Acknowledgment that it exists? SE officially exists, for what it's worth, and I can't see any point to denying that reality.

no I didn't mean that I just don't think Ubuntu will give it a sub forum here only because of the negative image attached with 'Satanism'. Really SE is nothing more then satire right, and I don't think the devs take it seriously as say the CE dev. As a user of SE I don't take it serious either, nothing more then fun, I just dont see Ubuntu or conical doing the same for SE as was done for CE, which btw wasn't really anything to my knowledge, so yeah, I dunno what I am trying to say anymore, lol.

Brunellus
December 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Pigeons ... meet my friend the cat!
Kudos to everyone here for keeping the discussion civil.
cat takes the contents of any file and prints them to standard output. he is very useful.

meng
December 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM
no I didn't mean that I just don't think Ubuntu will give it a sub forum here only because of the negative image attached with 'Satanism'. Really SE is nothing more then satire right, and I don't think the devs take it seriously as say the CE dev. As a user of SE I don't take it serious either, nothing more then fun, I just dont see Ubuntu or conical doing the same for SE as was done for CE, which btw wasn't really anything to my knowledge, so yeah, I dunno what I am trying to say anymore, lol.
Okay I understand what you're saying now. But a subforum really doesn't mean much, and it certainly doesn't confer any official status.

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Okay I understand what you're saying now. But a subforum really doesn't mean much, and it certainly doesn't confer any official status.

yeah very true.

m.musashi
December 14th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Too cool.

Maybe this could be a new distro with vmware installed by default along with beryl and Windows 98 SE. Now that would be truely evil. You could flip the cube from one evil to the other with just a roll of your finger.

Hendrixski
December 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM

You know, when the FSM first came out it was a good idea, it told the creationists to STFU. I can support that, they're a bunch of redneck losers. I don't think they quite got the joke, but it's funny because we can laugh at them.

By the way, what is the arch nemesis to FSM supposed to be, the "Satan" of pastafarianism? The canned Ravioli Monster?

mcduck
December 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Too cool.

Maybe this could be a new distro with vmware installed by default along with beryl and Windows 98 SE. Now that would be truely evil. You could flip the cube from one evil to the other with just a roll of your finger.

what's wrong with 98SE? It was way better than 98, 95 or ME :D

Actually Win ME would be pretty evil..

Well, as long as it has SATAN, Music Player Daemon and perhaps Pornview installed I'm happy :D

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
You know, when the FSM first came out it was a good idea, it told the creationists to STFU. I can support that, they're a bunch of redneck losers. I don't think they quite got the joke, but it's funny because we can laugh at them.

By the way, what is the arch nemesis to FSM supposed to be, the "Satan" of pastafarianism? The canned Ravioli Monster?

A world without FSM is a world I dont wanna live in.

Hendrixski
December 14th, 2006, 09:10 PM
A world without FSM is a world I dont wanna live in.

word

Luk8
December 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM

*Excited*...wow.... where can I get that ? If anyone is willing to PM me a link with that (if it exists :() I'd be forever thankful.
May His Noodly Appendage touch all of you :D !

spockrock
December 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM
hahahha, its currently a work in progress.

meng
December 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM
*Excited*...wow.... where can I get that ? If anyone is willing to PM me a link with that (if it exists :() I'd be forever thankful.
May His Noodly Appendage touch all of you :D !
Oh, noodly appendage huh? Not sure if I want it to touch me!

m.musashi
December 14th, 2006, 10:05 PM
what's wrong with 98SE? It was way better than 98, 95 or ME :D

Actually Win ME would be pretty evil..

Well, as long as it has SATAN, Music Player Daemon and perhaps Pornview installed I'm happy :D

Yeah, ME would have been a more evil option but I think it's funny that windows also has an SE version. It just happed to be 98. Of course, in their case SE stood for second edition I think but could easily have been satanic edition.

Burgresso
December 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM
This is a post to express my interest and support in a FSM, Invisible Pink Unicorn, and / or satanic version of Ubuntu.

Think of the cool names:
Ubuntu SE or Ubuntu FSME, etc.

M7S
December 14th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ask for god manners outside of UN. That was just silly of me. :p

Don't take my input to seriously.

Luk8
December 14th, 2006, 11:01 PM
This is a post to express my interest and support in a FSM, Invisible Pink Unicorn, and / or satanic version of Ubuntu.

Think of the cool names:
Ubuntu SE or Ubuntu FSME, etc.

Those,and an orbital flying tea cup edition :p .

bruenig
December 15th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Those,and an orbital flying tea cup edition :p .

Yes someone needs to start a Bertrand Russel Celestial Teapot Edition.

BuffaloX
December 15th, 2006, 05:35 AM
cat takes the contents of any file and prints them to standard output. he is very useful.

Yeah, mine just showed me a feature in Firefox 2.0 I didn't even know myself.
He totally rearranged the layout. The arrogant way he did it, got to me a little. He wasn't even looking at the keyboard, while typing quite complex multi key functions.
And acting like it was nothing special.
Makes a guy humble about his abilities with the computer....

General advice:
If you seriously want to learn more about computers, get a cat.

When I play games, Mine is also helpful with quick saving.

Unfortunately he only types in CAT, and I don't understand it one bit.
But he is a patient teacher, so maybe some day I'll get it.

I know this is a bit beside the issue, but Cats prefer SE editions over plain ones don't they?
And since Brunellus mentioned his cat, and how helpful it is to him, I thought I'd do a small follow up.

Someone mentioned Windows 98 SE stood for second edition, that was just a cover up.

Bakerconspiracy
December 15th, 2006, 05:48 AM
I'm really glad to see this. I was getting worried that there was not going to be a controversial distro/theme ever since I had seen Ubuntu Christan Edition.

mhancoc7
December 15th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Yes, I did contact Canonical before releasing Ubuntu CE.

From FAQ (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/2006/07/faq.html):

Q: Is Ubuntu Christian Edition officially supported by Canonical (http://www.canonical.com/)?

A: No, it is not "officially" supported. Our project is not funded by Canonical (http://www.canonical.com/). However, we have contacted them regarding our project and they have given us guidelines to follow and have thanked us for supporting the Ubuntu Community and introducing Ubuntu to the Christian Community.

Jereme

calx
December 15th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Love this, thanks :D

m.musashi
December 15th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Fire and ice.

Macintosh Sauce
December 15th, 2006, 01:32 PM
This thread is becoming ridiculously stupid IMO. Ubuntu Satanic Edition... What is next? I cannot believe what is happening with Ubuntu lately.

Orval
December 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM
This thread is becoming ridiculously stupid IMO. Ubuntu Satanic Edition... What is next?

Islamic Edition? Buddhist edition, Communist Edition, Capitalist Edition, Naturalist Edition, Vegetarian Edition.

Come on. It's a joke! Just like the Christian Edition.

Anonii
December 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM
This thread is becoming ridiculously stupid IMO. Ubuntu Satanic Edition... What is next? I cannot believe what is happening with Ubuntu lately.
Ubuntu CE 2.1

Kub
December 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM
First off - big thumbs up for a dude who made this Satanic Edition.

I didn't have time to read through every post in this long thread, but I can see some folks from Christian Edition coming here, with their "we don't mean to offend anyone BUT..." and their "of course we think everybody is free to their opinion BUT...". And there's even some Mac guy just above my post who seems to be quite pissed off... It's safe to say, that using the word "Satan" makes it 100% certain that you will be attacked by someone. Which is funny, really. If christians attack you - it proves you do something right.

Seeing the news about Christian Edition of Ubuntu really made me sick. I always hoped linux will be free of their jesus propaganda. I thought about changing distro even. I just can't stand religious fanatics. But well, it's a free world and all...

What about other religions? What about Hindubuntu? Islamubuntu? Maybe it's not that retarded idea after all - if religion can bring some new users to linux/ubuntu community why not use it?

Go for it!

MetalMusicAddict
December 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
What about other religions? What about Hindubuntu? Islamubuntu? Maybe it's not that retarded idea after all - if religion can bring some new users to linux/ubuntu community why not use it?

Go for it!

Exactly. As I understand it the religious flavors of Ubuntu arent necessarily made to inject religion into linux. Think about it like this. Churches have limited budgets right? So when all this Vista stuff goes down are they gonna have the money to upgrade? I know churches still runnin Win98. So its also about providing a cost effective solution that caters to them.

Thats aside, Im so gonna help with Ubuntu SE. THE OS of Anton Lavey. (If he were still alive) :)

scrooge_74
December 15th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Do the guys that use the Christian Edition know their PCs have daemons running inside?

And if they do know, do they sprinkle Holly water on them just to be safe?

>:)

glotz
December 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Well done. Now we need an official forum just like the other joke.

I previously tried to launch fascist ubuntu and cat-killing ubuntu but some lame moderator fouled up my post for some reason.

Somebody slashdot this. And Digg it etc...

parker13
December 15th, 2006, 02:50 PM

I previously tried to launch fascist ubuntu and cat-killing ubuntu but some lame moderator fouled up my post for some reason.

If we get enough support, we may get our own forum.

I can't see this happening until Ubuntu SE is a proper distro (it's currently just a few packages which you install on top of Ubuntu CE or Ubuntu).

It may happen one day if we get enough support... judging by the interest so far it's a possibility!

glotz
December 15th, 2006, 02:56 PM

There's no problem with christians and satan. As we all know, christians invented him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

That's where the thread belongs to. And the forum should be renamed to Ubuntu Religious Zealots & Topics Forum.

frodon
December 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM

There's no problem with christians and satan. As we all know, christians invented him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

That's where the thread belongs to. And the forum should be renamed to Ubuntu Religious Zealots & Topics Forum.Please avoid to post here that way, the discussion is nice and polite and there's no need to flame any group of person since this is no the spirit of this thread.

Further post like this will be removed, you are warned.

MetalMusicAddict
December 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I honestly dont think Ubuntu Satanic Edition needs its own forum here any more that CE does. :) CE has one and I think its unnecessary.

I think Ubuntu Satanic Edition is just fun and that should (IMO) be whats its about. :) Not a serious counterpoint to CE or Icthux.

glotz
December 15th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I guess flaming was the very point of this thread but stand at ease, I will not post to this thread again.

parker13
December 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I honestly dont think Ubuntu Satanic Edition needs its own forum here any more that CE does. :) CE has one and I think its unnecessary.

I think Ubuntu Satanic Edition is just fun and that should (IMO) be whats its about. :) Not a serious counterpoint to CE or Icthux.

I actually agree. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

MetalMusicAddict
December 15th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I actually agree. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

I do that all the time. :twisted:

I guess flaming was the very point of this thread but stand at ease, I will not post to this thread again.
Flaming was not the point at all. You have it wrong.

joshuapurcell
December 17th, 2006, 02:37 AM
I love this idea... exactly what was needed in my opinion. I need to suggest that the references to Ubuntu CE cannot be taken off the Satanic Edition's website... after all Satanism is an answer to Christianity (just as this is to Ubuntu CE).

H.E. Pennypacker
December 17th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Come on wheres your fun spirit eh?
People take religion WAAAY to seriously

I was only kidding.

dbbolton
December 17th, 2006, 03:43 AM
yeah. because nothing says "satanism" like flames and horns.

i would think that true satanists would have severe conflicts with the ubuntu philosophy. but that's just me.

nickle
December 17th, 2006, 04:20 PM
This :evil: SE :evil: is truly silly. Mind you not any sillier than the CE, but certainly much funnier...

My hat off to you guys, thanks for the giggle and hey keep up the great, hilarious, clever & creative work......

Goliash
December 19th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I tried to install usplash-theme-satanic and worked fine, but it was a mistake because I have Kubuntu and it can’t be uninstalled. Dpkg -r writes:
update-alternatives: I cannot find alternative file `/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu.so’.
I looked for the file and found only usplash-theme-kubuntu.so. Of course.

I restored the default Kubuntu artwork but the package usplash-theme-satanic remains in system. It resists to my all efforts to uninstall it. Now I can’t install or uninstall any package, it always tries to uninstall usplash-theme-satanic with no success. Don’t you have any idea how to remove it from my system?

parker13
December 19th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I tried to install usplash-theme-satanic and worked fine, but it was a mistake because I have Kubuntu and it can’t be uninstalled. Dpkg -r writes:
update-alternatives: I cannot find alternative file `/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu.so’.
I looked for the file and found only usplash-theme-kubuntu.so. Of course.

I restored the default Kubuntu artwork but the package usplash-theme-satanic remains in system. It resists to my all efforts to uninstall it. Now I can’t install or uninstall any package, it always tries to uninstall usplash-theme-satanic with no success. Don’t you have any idea how to remove it from my system?

This is just a note to say that Goliash found the fix to the problem himself and posted it on the Ubuntu SE site:

Remove the line:

update-alternatives --set usplash-artwork.so /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu.so

From the script:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/usplash-theme-satanic.postrm

And then uninstall the package.

Sorry, as this was a Gnome theme, I didn't test these packages for Kubuntu. If you're having problems uninstalling from a Kubuntu machine, the above should sort you out.

dolny
December 21st, 2006, 12:01 AM
OMG PLEASE - smbd make a Spaghetti Monster edition!!!

Btw. Great idea :D Will install it.

timboe73
December 21st, 2006, 12:34 AM
No, I don't really think I'll get a sub-forum.

Maybe if we can come up with some packages to include in a fully fledged distro. GnomeSword? Nah.

It deserves a forum ! They have Christian addition !

How bout calling it Ubuntu Atheist Edition ?

katgfan
December 21st, 2006, 01:00 AM
It deserves a forum ! They have Christian addition !

How bout calling it Ubuntu Atheist Edition ?
Atheist Edition? I dont think so. Atheism denies the existence of God.

Since the the thread starter believe in Satan of course he should believe god exists.

Anyway all of this is just silly.

deanlinkous
December 21st, 2006, 01:05 AM
USA
ubuntu satanic axiom

m.musashi
December 21st, 2006, 03:25 AM
This is just a note to say that Goliash found the fix to the problem himself and posted it on the Ubuntu SE site:

Remove the line:

update-alternatives --set usplash-artwork.so /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu.so

From the script:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/usplash-theme-satanic.postrm

And then uninstall the package.

Sorry, as this was a Gnome theme, I didn't test these packages for Kubuntu. If you're having problems uninstalling from a Kubuntu machine, the above should sort you out.

This actually didn't work for me. I still have the boot usplash (although the shutdown usplash returned to the ubuntu theme). I'm also using kubuntu at the the moment. I followed the directions on the web site but no matter what, the boot usplash remains - cool in a way (nice and evil) but also frustrating. Thanks for any tips, advice.

Adrenal
December 21st, 2006, 03:51 AM
First off - big thumbs up for a dude who made this Satanic Edition.

I didn't have time to read through every post in this long thread, but I can see some folks from Christian Edition coming here, with their "we don't mean to offend anyone BUT..." and their "of course we think everybody is free to their opinion BUT...". And there's even some Mac guy just above my post who seems to be quite pissed off... It's safe to say, that using the word "Satan" makes it 100% certain that you will be attacked by someone. Which is funny, really. If christians attack you - it proves you do something right.

Seeing the news about Christian Edition of Ubuntu really made me sick. I always hoped linux will be free of their jesus propaganda. I thought about changing distro even. I just can't stand religious fanatics. But well, it's a free world and all...

Go for it!
Your opinion is your own and this isn't the time or place to debate that. It is regrettable that the actions of a few Christians have caused you to think ill of the entire faith, but that is somewhat beside the point.

If you remember, when CE was released, none of the developers said anything akin "it is a Christians duty to use this" or "finally, a religious edition". CE was made primarily for deployment in area's such as churches etc, or for use of the religious. It wasn't using Linux to spread a political or religious dogma, it was just, quite literally, preaching to the choir. No one tried to argue that the standard Ubuntu should have more religious content, the CE edition just filled a void they saw, and I believe they said they not only condone, but encourage alternate religions to make their own religious versions (keep in mind, the Christian Churches have become more pluralistic in the past few decades, with Pope John Paul II being the first Pope the walk into a mosque, the incorporation of Aboriginal smoking ceremonies in some Australian Christian ceremonies etc).

SE is the complete opposite. While CE was, as the name implied, just an edition, SE is, by the author's own admission, essentially a mockery of CE. If the author and developmnet team want to continue making their version, so be it, humour is important and their opinion is their own. But let's not pretend that they are more mature then CE, or that they are cleaning CE's mess.

deanlinkous
December 21st, 2006, 04:01 AM
Are you asking the SE people to be "nice"? Come on, this is the satanic edition here....bad is what they do.

So you seem to be implying they are less mature? OUCH!

I don't see it as a mockery. If I was going to make a mockery then I would call it the CE Crusaders Edition and state that it is about killing people in the name of religion, and preaching moral values while picking up the angelic hookers, or condemning people because they are homosexual while enjoying a secret brokeback episode occasionally, and I would say that Tammy Faye has blessed it herself with makeup aplenty to hide the ugly.

THAT would be a good start of a mockery....

PryGuy
December 21st, 2006, 05:18 AM
"Forgive them father for they know not what they do"

meng
December 21st, 2006, 05:22 AM
There's nothing to be gained by fighting.

MetalMusicAddict
December 21st, 2006, 05:46 AM
"And the sky turned black, the mountains crumbled and the Earth opened as the most evil creation ever to be expelled from Hades arose from the depths..."
Ubuntu Satanic Edition

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/pentagram.jpg

PryGuy
December 21st, 2006, 06:11 AM
I wonder where the site moderators are? Are we gonna play democracy this time?

mordox
December 21st, 2006, 06:17 AM
kewl !

OttifantSir
December 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM
I have read this whole thread from start to finish.

It has moved from a joke to a serious discussion about religions. Off course, that's because the joke is religious, and humans associate. Some in a bad way.

First off, my beliefs are not Satanic, even though they are the absolute opposite (maybe slightly to the side of opposite) of Christianity.

I believe in the GPL. Linux is GPL, therefore, everyone has the right to make their own distro. Coupled with the freedom of speech and thought, there really isn't any point in arguing this, IMO. Satanist, atheist, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jewish, Jesuitts, Taoists, Pagans, Wiccans, Night Magicians (my belief), etc have the right to make what they wish of Linux.

I do not hack at any religion. I disagree with all, except my own, but I don't hack at them. That is what rubs me wrong with so many religious people. Not their religion, but their conviction that because they believe it, it must be the almighty, never befouled, Universal Truth. And as such, you are an idiot, or a criminal, or you will suffer torment in the afterlife if you don't convert to their belief.

I haven't looked at the CE, but what was listed previously in this thread as to what was bundled with it, seems straightforward enough. It seems like the Linux-way. Someone wanted to make a tool, and they did it.

But at the very heart of this discussion, centered mainly on a theme package called SE, and a distro named CE, I believe censorship is the culprit. Few people bother to discuss religion with people of a different faith because they get whacked over the head with "The Good Word" of that religion. Once you have tried to discuss religion with more than five people with the same faith, but different from yours, you have probably heard "The Good Word" recited as the Universal Truth every time. I recognise the Bible, the Quran and the Jewish text as good markers on how you should behave. It IS wrong to steal, murder, lie, commit adultery, etc. But those are the basic rules. Those are really very much a part of having a society that is as adanced as ours. Those are good.

What people don't see, is that the rest of the Bible, Quran and so on and so forth, is a History book. A dramatised history book. I mean, come on, who would read the Bible if you took out the dialog of it? An example: Moses was believed to have been born from slaves, and saved from the wrath of the Pharaoh by the pharaoh's sister who took care of him and nurtured him to adulthood. Once he was an adult, he was for a time the pharaoh's favourite until he found a new philosophical way of thinking, due to his discovery of his roots as a slave. After this discovery, he started pleading with pharaoh to release his people from the bonds of slavery. This eventually earned him several years in exile. When he came back to Egypt, he claimed to have spoken with a god through the image of a burning bush. Armed with this insight, he returned to Egypt once more, and after some natural disasters, he was allowed to lead his people through the desert for forty years, before finally finding a land that was inhibitable.

A pretty short recollection of the tribulations of Moses. I have seen the Charlton Heston movie "The Ten Commandments", and I think it's a good movie. But it's a drama. Evil king, child saved from king, opposes king, befriends king's sister/daughter, fight with a bad guy, realise a truth and do something about it. That's the story of many books.

I believe myself to have had a revelation. I believe myself to have been touched by my god, to have been given insight into the thoughts of my god, by this god. I wasn't revered for that. I wans't hailed as a new saviour. I didn't get any fame for it. You know what I got? Psychological counselling. Why? Because I believed in a god. To the world, you may be just crazy if you believe in a god/deity of higher order. Or, you may be hailed as a new saviour, a visionary, etc.

Religion is personal. Religion shall never be shared in my opinion. If people ask of me what I believe in, I tell them. If they don't ask, I don't tell. I don't go around bashing someone's religion. Why? It's personal. I don't go around bashing someone for thinking women are best suited to stay at home with children. I don't believe this to be true, but I don't go around bashing people for making the choice.

Satanic Edition is actually very open and forthcoming in my opinion. How many Christian web-sites have a link to Satanic web-sites? It's as if they forget to mention that part of the Bible. SE has a link to CE. People seeing the web-site of SE and gets scared, wanting to install CE instead can do so right from the same web-site they got frightened by. With this rhetoric, I would like to say to CE-developers, that they put a link to SE on their web-site. Without any derogatory comments about it. If people wants to see it, let them make their own opinion.

Sorry, for a very long post, but this is one of the things that occupy me most. It's all about the freedom of choice, and sadly, many religious people don't tell you about the choice, or if they do, they tend to flame it. I want objective facts, not subjective opinions when trying to decide.

indigoshift
December 21st, 2006, 07:10 AM
This makes me want to do "Ubuntu - Heavy Metal edition"

Every time you click on anything, you will hear, at random, one of the following:

A woman wailing

A sword clanking

10 seconds of a random Manowar song

And the logo can be three hands throwing the horns, in a circle...yeah.

I dig the cut of your jib, sir! :D

mhancoc7
December 21st, 2006, 07:15 AM
Satanic Edition is actually very open and forthcoming in my opinion. How many Christian web-sites have a link to Satanic web-sites? It's as if they forget to mention that part of the Bible. SE has a link to CE. People seeing the web-site of SE and gets scared, wanting to install CE instead can do so right from the same web-site they got frightened by. With this rhetoric, I would like to say to CE-developers, that they put a link to SE on their web-site. Without any derogatory comments about it. If people wants to see it, let them make their own opinion.

Well, I do agree that we should not bash each others beliefs. That has never been what Ubuntu CE is about. You will not, however, see a link to the Ubuntu Satanic Edition on the Ubuntu CE project site.

I would also like to point out that the Ubuntu SE site "suggests" that you install Ubuntu SE over Ubuntu CE. This sounds "derogatory" to me.

I support the efforts of those who are truly trying to bring Linux to a specific group of people not what their faith is. The Ubuntu SE project is not doing that in my mind. I believe they are simply mocking my project. I don't see where they are trying to offer their user base anything of real value other than the sense of victory in upsetting me or any other Ubuntu CE supporter.

Jereme

spockrock
December 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM
I seriously don't see it as mocking but a light hearted jab. Satanic edition is nothing more themes, right, so whats funnier then running a Christian oriented gnu/linux with satanic themes, ok maybe I find that funny. Sufficed to say, Satanic Edition doesn't undo anything CE does. I have talked to parker13 and the Impression *I GET* so don't say he said, or he feels, but the impression I get is that this is nothing more then light hearted humour. I don't think he is mocking you or getting a joke at your expense.

steven8
December 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM
*sigh* It can't be this hard for people to figure out why the developer of UbuntuCE might find this SE edition to be a slap in the face. To people who are seriously religious, the concept of Satan and God are not just the stuff of discussion. They are the embodiment of Good and Evil. I think Jereme is being quite restrained and accepting. If people were to make an anti Mohammed anything, and parade it in from of Islamic people, do you think they would be so good about it? from the uproar heard around the world recently, due to some images, I'd say not.

It's because there are certain things, religion being one of them, that some people take VERY seriously. My mother, God rest her soul, would tell you that it was her relationship with God which got her through her days as she died of emphysema. It doesn't matter if anyone else believes it or not. She did, and that mattered to her.

So, it may be all in good fun to the people who feel it is 'just a subject', but to some people, it may be considered an offense against something they hold very dear.

KiwiNZ
December 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM
I believe steven8's post sums this up very well.

I also believe that it gives us a point that we can bring this to a close.

I thank all who participated in this thread , and wish the OP well with the endevour.