PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls and security

budgie9
December 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
How many of you guys consider it important ehough to have a firewall active.
If so, what firewall do you use, and how good do you consider it to be, or do you edit the iptables directly.

OffHand
December 13th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I use one in my router ;)

MedivhX
December 13th, 2006, 06:22 PM
I use one in my router ;)

I use firestarter... I have many enemies on my WLAN...

drphilngood
December 13th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I use both router and Firestarter but I really canīt tell you why. I guess Iīm still nervous from my Win-98 days.;)

SuperMike
December 13th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I definitely do. I keep a hardware-based NAT firewall router in my home that filters on MAC address. Then, on each workstation, I only use Ubuntu Linux (of course!) and then I always use an input-based iptables firewall script. If you're ever curious about how to write one fast, here's my EASY IPTABLES TUTORIAL (http://supermikenews.blogspot.com/2006/03/roll-your-own-linux-firewall-script.html).

I do this because it doesn't really slow my systems down too much, and because there's no harm in using an extra ounce of security especially if it's not disruptive to getting work done.

Enjoy!

mpampix
December 13th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I use only the one in my router. I plan to set up as firewall an old box with debian and iptables but I don't have enough time to set it up.

Halcy0n
December 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I have a script that sets up IPtables for me. I also have Snort running on there so I can see any "suspicious" traffic. It has caught atleast one virus that got onto my sister's desktop, so its been valuable enough to keep around :)

katgfan
December 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
My router has firewall and my network is NATed so I dont enable firewall on my PC's