PDA

View Full Version : Linux Server Admiistrators..??

Robert.Zapata
December 13th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Hello Team and Happy Holidays..!!!

Need some professional advice.

I want to change my present line of work (Product technical support) to Linux Server Administration.

Due to my job functions I get to play and administer my own *******2000/2003 Servers and setup all DNS settings and AD functions. I have experience with Windows Servers since the old days of Windows NT Server 4.0 but never work as a Network Admin and really not interested in doing that under a ******* environment but I'll like to do it for a Linux environment.

Most job offerings ask for experience with Linux Servers running under Red Hat and clustering, I'm aware that CentOS is a good replacemnt for RH and maybe I can install it in a spare machine and play with it.

What more else do I need to learn that will be useful to put in the resume, targeting a job as Linux Network Admin...??

Thank you very much for your input.

IYY
December 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM
You should get a certification that labels you as a professional Linux administrator. In the process of studying for this certification, you are sure to learn many useful things.

Rede
December 13th, 2006, 07:49 PM
You should get a certification that labels you as a professional Linux administrator. In the process of studying for this certification, you are sure to learn many useful things.

Out of curiosity, which certification?

IYY
December 13th, 2006, 07:58 PM
No idea. But I know that there are several, and they look good on a resume.

meltingrobot
December 13th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I have an RHCE. That seems to be the most sought after. As to what most Linux admin jobs I've seen of late are looking for, experience with php, mysql, apache, perl, and of course Oracle are good to have. SAN/NAS experience is good too. Oh, and also mail, especially postfix.

Halcy0n
December 13th, 2006, 08:08 PM
If you want to go for a certificate, the RHCE cert is probably the one you want to get.

https://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/courses/

superjet
December 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I would start with CompTIA's Linux +. I took a class at the local Comunity College and I have a few study guides. I plan on taking the test after the 1st of the year. That is an entry level cert that (if I remember correctly) suggest you have about 6 months worth of Linux admin behind you.
From there you can do Red Hat with their various certs.
Ubuntu has a cert out now... Here from the Wiki.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EngineerCertification

Good luck!