PDA

View Full Version : Another good article for Ubuntu

Dragonbite
December 13th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Found a positive article for Ubuntu:
Ubuntu reflects current state of Linux art (http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=41490) (itBusiness.ca)
I especially like

It's no surprise that according to Distrowatch, more people are downloading Ubuntu than Red Hat and Novell products combined.

mykalreborn
December 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
i was wondering how long has microsoft been developing vista? from what i know it's much more than an year, right?
ubuntu realeased a new version in a mear 4 months:D . take that mr bill gates :p

lwr
December 13th, 2006, 04:40 PM
i was wondering how long has microsoft been developing vista? from what i know it's much more than an year, right?
ubuntu realeased a new version in a mear 4 months:D . take that mr bill gates :p

Actually it's more like 5 or 6 years. According to Wikipedia, "Microsoft started work on their plans for "Longhorn" in May 2001". To be fair, they did have a lot of work to do in taking a Windows base and creating a good stable operating system. Turns out they didn't actually have long enough, though.

mykalreborn
December 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
5 years? that's a lot. i guess it was pretty hard for them. but that doesn't excuse the fact that they ask a whole lot of money for that OS

Brunellus
December 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM
5 years? that's a lot. i guess it was pretty hard for them. but that doesn't excuse the fact that they ask a whole lot of money for that OS
to be fair on the guys from Redmond, the Windows cycle is more like the Debian Stable cycle. It took nearly as long for Debian Sarge to become "stable"

IYY
December 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM
to be fair on the guys from Redmond, the Windows cycle is more like the Debian Stable cycle. It took nearly as long for Debian Sarge to become "stable"

But Sarge actually is stable. ;)

Jokes aside, I think that what most people dislike about Vista is that most of the innovative features were stripped from it, and that it's probably still as insecure as a fully patched XP.

mykalreborn
December 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM
But Sarge actually is stable. ;)

Jokes aside, I think that what most people dislike about Vista is that most of the innovative features were stripped from it, and that it's probably still as insecure as a fully patched XP.

i agree with that. i think the only way they could make windows more secure is to be a little open source, or drasticaly change the way it works. but as everything in life it just ain't all that simple