PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons

mitchbones
December 13th, 2006, 04:11 AM
I was interested in seeing if any forum members play D&D (or any tabletop games for that matter). Are you a player or DM? How long have you been playing? Any Interesting stories you want to mention?

The only interesting stories involve my players being stupid :P "After the long week of adventuring you find yourselves standing infront of the local tavern." Barbarian: "I check for traps". enough said :)

IYY
December 13th, 2006, 04:27 AM
I used to play back in 7th and 8th grade. That was... 6 or 7 years ago, I think. I was a DM, and I really miss it. I am a very creative person (not to say that my creations are good; I just love making stuff up), so I spent hours upon hours coming up with cool and original settings, NPCs and adventures...

Nowadays I can't find anyone to play D&D with, so instead of creating worlds I come up with video game ideas and other software/hardware concepts, and sometimes actually develop them.

dbbolton
December 13th, 2006, 04:34 AM
sadly, i used to play the star wars version.

The Noble
December 13th, 2006, 05:41 AM
I don't play DnD, but my stepbrother is a DM (he's 18). Cool guy, not anti-social or anything. He's really creative, and had some of the coolest stories. Some instances in his story were so nerve wrecking that I would stay up watching him and his friends play late into the night. Sadly, everyone he played with was either retarded or left for college out of state. 'Tis a pity, as he has ~200 pages of material used and 50 more to start another campaign. Let's just say his campaigns are pretty epic.

weasel fierce
December 13th, 2006, 05:41 AM
I play loads of RPG's and miniature wargames.

Not much D&D specifically, anymore. Its mostly Runequest, Warhammer roleplay and some other games, particularly some scandinavian stuff.

steven8
December 13th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I haven't played D&D since 1988. I prefered to play a game called Traveller. Wow, this brings back memories. I remember when there was big uproar because college kids were going down in caves and playing live D&D. Some kids got lost or injured. I don't quite remember.

Xzallion
December 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I DM for my group, just started a Ptolus campaign. I had the 2nd edition rules memorized, I could quote pages from the core rule books (still got a grasp on the thac0 table), though I use 3rd edition now.

I also play and own almost all the 2nd Edition world of darkness white-wolf books. Then theres Rifts, BESM, Exalted, Gods & Monsters, Pokethulu, and a few others. I know a ton of good free RPG's too.

slimdog360
December 13th, 2006, 11:09 AM
sadly, i used to play the star wars version.

geek * 2

hahhaa, na, Im only joking. I probably would have joined in if I was there myself.

Magnes
December 13th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I play (or rather I used to play, now I don't have time :( ) many RPGs, self-made mostly (only in Polish, sorry) and I'm editoring e-zin about RPGs (also only in Polish, www.wiezasnow.prv.pl) using Ubuntu, Scribus, InkScape and GIMP. :)

eilu
December 13th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I used to play D&D 2nd ed, but now have no one (and no time) to play with. Plus someone still has *MY* monster's manual, DMG (tried to DM but didn't have the patience), PHB, 3 volumes of encyclopedia magica and all my DICE :( Pity, I currently have an idea for a very interesting character...

asimon
December 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I was interested in seeing if any forum members play D&D (or any tabletop games for that matter). Are you a player or DM? How long have you been playing? Any Interesting stories you want to mention?
I play D&D/AD&D since 1989 and have gone through all 3 editions. Our group are all die-hard Forgotten Realms fans and we play in this world ever since. Although we also played in Greyhawk, Mystara, Ravenloft, Planescape, Lankmar, and other worlds (including self-made ones), we always came back to our beloved FR.

Sadly, since the school days are long over we don't have much time anymore to play. Nowadays we are happy if we get a bi-weekly session of 4-5 hours.

We have several ongoing campaigns running and two veteran DMs in our group, me being one of them. The DM's scepter changes hand every now and then so I am both player and DM.

The only interesting stories involve my players being stupid :P "After the long week of adventuring you find yourselves standing infront of the local tavern." Barbarian: "I check for traps". enough said :)
Yes, the stupidy of gamers can be a scourge. I saw my share of great stories and campaigns going down because of stupid players (good and interesting players are so hard to find) or players who planed to disrupt the game in the first place. Gaming only make fun if the players match and also share your playing style.

asimon
December 13th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I had the 2nd edition rules memorized, I could quote pages from the core rule books (still got a grasp on the thac0 table), though I use 3rd edition now.
Ha!, I remember a time when I wasted hundreds of hours doing spell lists of all 1st edition spells from all our books with an old mechanical type writer. Back then, I knew nearly every spell inside out including material components. Those were the days! At least I learned to touch type very fast. ;-)

total wormage
December 13th, 2006, 02:10 PM
i used to play and i've dm-ed a few times, but all my groups fell apart far too soon...
i once played with a forum, over the internet. doing a week over just one simple battle :p

currently i am building a world, studio ghibli like, just because i like creating the stories. there are a few players spread over the country who are waiting for me to come up with something, we probably are going to try 'openrpg' or something like that online realtime rpg tools

Gods i miss the sound of rolling dice :'[

Hex_Mandos
December 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I used to play with a few friends... now I just play online, if at all.

MedivhX
December 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Where do u play it online??? OpenRPG???

ekuliak
December 13th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I play with my friends. I'm not the DM.

School and other things have gotten in the way, and we havn't played since summer. We should continue after everyone comes back home for winter break. :cool:

equal
December 13th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Don't mention any of this thread if you're signing up for the Israeli army! (http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcontents/2006/12/israeli_army_ha.html)

der_joachim
December 13th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I used to play AD&D 2nd (both GM and player), but I have also played (and GM-ed) White Wolf's Vampire:the Masquerade (had a long-running chronicle set in my home town. Very successful), and Mage: the Ascension.

MedivhX
December 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Hey!!! isn't Vamipire: The Masquerade a PC game??? I have it... It has lousy graphics though...

lyceum
December 13th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I did not play D&D as a kid because my mom thought it was the devil, so I made up my own that was more like Magic. I drew pictures and and made cards and we rolled dice. I had no idea what D&D was, I just knew it was "bad" so I wanted to try it. This was years before Magic came out, so now I wish I would have marketed. <sigh>

azkehmm
December 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Hell... I've played AD&D 2nd Edition since I was 13... that's like, 10 years now. Only recently dived into 3rd edition, as I have close to 1500 euro worth of 2nd edition material. Among this, almost the entire Dark Sun campaign setting, and quite a few books from Forgotten Realms.
Also, Vampire: The Masquerade and Mage and Hunter and stuff like that. In fact, I'm pretty much a multi geek, as I have also countless hours of Live action Roleplay and 3 5000 points warhammer armies under my belt. Then, I got lured into MMORPS by my girlfriend, and now that's pretty much all I do :)

Xzallion
December 13th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Hey!!! isn't Vamipire: The Masquerade a PC game??? I have it... It has lousy graphics though...

They made a PC game of Vampire the Masquerade. It is based off the original table top rpg.

ciscosurfer
December 13th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I haven't played D&D since 1988. I prefered to play a game called Traveller. Wow, this brings back memories. I remember when there was big uproar because college kids were going down in caves and playing live D&D. Some kids got lost or injured. I don't quite remember.And who can forget this timeless classic: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084314/ a la Tom Hanks or this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369445/

total wormage
December 13th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Where do u play it online??? OpenRPG???

we're talking about the table top dungeons and dragons... nothing more then a group of people telling each other what their characters do
online i used to play with just a few dutch guys on a private phpbb forum and OpenRPG is just a tool for handling statistics and a basic sort of chat function and map drawing. the OpenRPG game is set up by a dungeon master and joinable by the players...

I did not play D&D as a kid because my mom thought it was the devil, so I made up my own that was more like Magic. I drew pictures and and made cards and we rolled dice. I had no idea what D&D was, I just knew it was "bad" so I wanted to try it. This was years before Magic came out, so now I wish I would have marketed. <sigh>

lol, what a story :D
after i stopped playing magic i thought of making games myself, they all turned out as magic rip-offs (bad ones :p)

lyceum
December 13th, 2006, 09:59 PM
lol, what a story :D
after i stopped playing magic i thought of making games myself, they all turned out as magic rip-offs (bad ones :p)

I tried doing the same thing later, but if you don't use cards or book what do you do? It seems like it is hard not to rip someone off some how. I guess I could use wood carvings, then at least everyone will know it is not pagan, right? :)

total wormage
December 13th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I tried doing the same thing later, but if you don't use cards or book what do you do? It seems like it is hard not to rip someone off some how. I guess I could use wood carvings, then at least everyone will know it is not pagan, right? :)

hehehe good point ;]

the bad thing about d&d (as a bad dm) is that campaigns are going to look alike. i don't like pre-fab settings and campaigns, so i guessed it would be nice to make a setting around the studio ghibli / miyasaki (nausicaa, spirited away, howl's moving castle, laputa castle in the sky) anime movies, but it's hard to figure out how to implement magic and actually playable campaigns :p you are quite fast just writing a book :p (and i think there are FAR too much fantasy books already written, so why bother ;])

David Mulligan
December 14th, 2006, 12:57 AM
D&D is played by devil worshipers. http://www.chick.com/articles/dnd.asp

Blondie
December 14th, 2006, 02:18 AM
D&D is played by devil worshipers. http://www.chick.com/articles/dnd.asp

So true. I started playing DnD when I was 5 and by the time I was 7 I was worshiping the devil on a regular basis.

mitchbones
December 14th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Jack Chick cracks me up, my friend pranked called him and Richard Phelps* asking if they wanted to hear part of his occult ritual. He then started singing "She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel Air"

I just started playing D&D this August. I am running my second campaign (Savage Tide Adventure Path), from Dungeon Magazine. My Mom too thought that D&D was "Satanic" and a "Kill your mom trainer" so everynow and then during a game she walks in and asks if we are plotting for her demise ,haha.

der_joachim
December 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM

There's two PC games set in the Vampire universe. I do not know about Vampire:Redemption, but Vampire:Bloodlines (2004) had the Source engine. It looked quite decent and it was quite an atmospheric game. The combat system was horrible though, and since it was a very early Source version (which was never updated), it had (and still has) some serious bugs. The story is quite good though and you there are some different endings.
At the moment, there is still an active modding community and unofficial patches are brought out on a regular basis. They are quite good, actually.

In 2004, the tabletop game VtM was discontinued, along with every other game that was in the White Wolf universe. A new line of games was brought out, but I never tried any of them.

Xzallion
December 15th, 2006, 06:10 AM
der_joachim, The new white wolf games aren't that bad, they mainly sped combat up.

der_joachim
December 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM
der_joachim, The new white wolf games aren't that bad, they mainly sped combat up.

Well, the main reason I rarely play anymore, is the fact that I have way too many hobbys and way too little time. ;)

Ah sweet memories. The look of utter fright when my players met an elder NPC who totally pummeled the local sheriff (who was pretty impressive herself combat-wise). :mrgreen:

happy-and-lost
December 15th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I play for real with the Lorien Trust. http://www.lorientrust.com/ ;)

suziequzie
December 20th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Yes, I game:

DnD (Basic, Advanced, Second Edition - I've played all three... but not D20)
Call of Cthulhu (I run it)
DC Heroes, Heroes Unlimited, Villains and Vigilantes - my boyfriend runs these
Champions - have played a long-term campaign, would love to run it, have the necessary books, just need players...
Star Wars, Toon, Paranoia, Teenagers from Outer Space ... ahhh, those wacky college years (oh my god, it's been 14 years since I played them... I feel old...)
Star Trek (FASA), Doctor Who (also FASA) way back then too.

Looking into running Mutants and Masterminds for my friends. Also interested in old/obscure game systems. And internet published free games.

steven8
December 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
And who can forget this timeless classic: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084314/ a la Tom Hanks or this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369445/

Oh yeah! Those movies have definitely gone down. Not in history, as we tend to think of it, but they have definitely gone down!! Thanks. . .for the memories. . . .

:-)

BrokeBody
December 20th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Playing D&D, Fall Out, Magic The Gathering. Player, DM, I do both, doesen't matter as long as the game lasts. :)

kimusabi
July 15th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Oddly enough I've just started playing D&D (tabletop) with a few friends as just a player. We have some various funny stories. It's amazing what you can do as a standard group which is utterly evil. Heres one example. Rich is mine. A Halfling rogue with acid for blood (drank a potion he stole from a wizard. Nifty feature but prone to passing out for 2d4 rounds randomly.). Vivi is our evil necromantic wizard and Esorb our, well, evil priest.

The group walks around a hamlet looking for something to do.
Rich: Vivi, wheres your familiar?
Vivi: Erm....
Esorb: Ha!
Rich: No matter...want one?
Vivi: Sure...?
Rich shoots a Crow out of the sky and hands it to Vivi.
Vivi: This won't do...it's not odd enough. I know your not a wizard but you have to understand all familiars have to be...odd.
Meanwhile a Gnome wanders by, so Esorb goes to ask for work.

Rich: Hmm..Esorb!
Esorb: Eh?
Rich: Gnomeicide!
Esorb: Gotcha!

Esorb cleaves the Gnome in two, cuts off the head and tosses it to Rich, who cuts off the Crows head and attaches the body to the Gnomes head, handing it to Vivi.

Vivi: Neat! Thanks guys!

The group carries on walking through town. as if nothing happened. Using Vivis intelligence and Rich's Charisma on all guards.

This is one of the funnier and least disturbing ones, I would post some more but I'd sooner have people keeping their sanity.

total wormage
July 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
hehehe :]]

we played some really standard home brew campaigns, but it is amazing how much fun you can have just talking a bit and throwing dice.

i am currently idle thinking on a really big project / campaign thingy (i mixed three ideas that were idling on my sketch papers hanging on my wall)
i don't think it is going to be playable, maybe it is just going to be a story of some sort, but thinking of the good times playing role playing games i think i have to work it out more.

i would really like to see some community based story thing. not a three words thread but a really good worked out base with some basic 'rules' to move around. either with or without a game master.

the thing i am currently working on won't be playable with dnd rules, but is going to be some sort of birthright system with the major difference that turns take three months instead of six seconds and characters being some sort of ruler of a race.
i may be ranting about it soon if i can decide which direction it all goes :P

well whatever, you guys go play roleplaying games!

Zzl1xndd
July 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Just tought about it and I have been playing for 8 years. Both a player and DM although I make a much better player then a DM. Ravenloft is my world we seem to enjoy the most.

I also play Hero's : Unlimited, D20 Moderen, Vampire, Gurps, 7th Sea and L5R.

and Magic and I used to play the L5R card game (and maybe starttrek)

notwen
July 16th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Have been playing for around 5 years, currently in a Forgotten Realm campaign. =]

RedNikon
July 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I have been running/playing for eight years now.

Games I have played/ran (*denotes I run/ran it):
GURP*
Rifts
Palladium*
Deadlands (both old* and d20*)
Call of Cathulu (both old* and d20*, and larp)
Vampire (old* and new WOD*, and old* and new MET)
Mage (old WOD*)
Werewolf (old WOD*)
Kindred of the East (old WOD*)
Trinity*
Aberrant*
AD&D 2nd Ed*
D&D 3rd Ed*
D&D 3.5 Ed*
Shadowrun (old* and new)
Xanth (Custom rules)
BESM (old* and d20)
Sailor Moon (under old BESM rules)
DBZ (under old BESM rules*)
Heavy Gear*
Dragon Lance (under AD&D 2nd Ed*)
Spelljammer (under AD&D 2nd Ed*)
Greyhawk (under AD&D 2nd Ed*, D&D 3rd Ed*, and D&D 3.5 Ed*)
Robo Tech*
Bubble Gum Crisis*
Serial Experiments: Lain (under old BESM*)
Trigun (under old BESM*)
And well many more under the sun, you name I have played or ran it. I am also registered DM with RPGA, I am also the organizer of a month mini-con at my base and the organization's current president. We have over 90 members and growing.

I have run groups from level 0 to epic and even god-hood. I am current running 3 D&D 3.5 Ed games (one group is level 28 each w/ 1 divine rank, the others are level 15 and 7,) and Marvel: Universe (I just realized I left all of the Superhero games in the above list.) I am playing in Vampire (new WOD/MET) currently.

RedNikon
July 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Sorry I should have put this in the above one....

The new system stripped away a lot of what made "Vampire" attractive to me at least, luckly not all the rules are in stone. And yes in a sense you are right they speed up combat, but they have also made combat their focus, so when you are trying to do stuff out side of the "you hit me, I hit you" it tends to slow down. I personaly remember the old system where combat was rare, very rare, almost the whole thing game as about the story, and the "role"-playing and not the system like it is now, where it is more about the "roll"-playing and the combat... That's my two cents.

truthfatal
July 16th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Both of my room mates and I are all players of the D&D... we haven't played in a long time, but are in the process of developing a large campaign for a future weekend (Or series of weekends if I get my way :) )

JewelledDragon13
July 18th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm a player and a DM, and I'm developing my own system in my spare time.

This summer, everyone in my suite (IE, all the college kids who are doing research) is playing in at least 1 campaign. We have 5 going on simultaneously. We play every night of the week except Thursday and Saturday, plus Saturday and Sunday afternoons. (Thursday nights are for Warhammer.)

Most memorable thing that's happened so far:
1st day of the campaign. The party is sitting in a tavern (not one of our more creative DMs) when a fight breaks out on the other side of the room. It's a couple of drunk dwarves punching each other. The fighter pulls out his sword, walks across the room, and kills one of them.
Overreaction???

bchaffin72
July 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I have not played for some time, but I still have a set of 2nd edition AD & D books, a 1983 boxed Basic D & D set, as well as several other games and roleplaying items in my bookshelf.