PDA

View Full Version : Good idea to move entirely from windows to linux?

Capslock118
December 12th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Here is another Linux question.

I have 4 HDD's, one is used as for the distro (currently Ubuntu), 2 are SATA and set-up as a stripping RAID, and then there is another that hold my installed games, music, videos, programs, and the such.
I have been using linux more and more lately, and I am seriously considering moving to Linux as my main OS

My question to all of you:
Would it be practicle to move my 160Gbs of data from NTFS to a linux file system (dont worry about which type, that is for later discussion)

On my RAID I only have 20GBs allocated as the Windows installation, the rest is not partitioned, so I would be able to move all my data from NTFS to a linux filesystem on that, and them transfer them back to their original locations on the other drive once a linux file system is on that.

Here is my main reasons for doing this a) I am using ubuntu more and more, b) I am really starting to like the major change of pace from windows and finally c) the most important reason is that I have a 64-bit proc. and no 64-bit OS (and I will not be moving to vista any time soon)

Lord Illidan
December 12th, 2006, 01:26 AM
There are still some issues with 64 bit in the flash department for example...

And are you sure you don't want to dualboot? Games etc all work in Linux?

Sef
December 12th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I would dual boot, so you can get used to Linux. Read the Illustrated Dual Boot (http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/).

dorcssa
December 12th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Here is another Linux question.
c) the most important reason is that I have a 64-bit proc. and no 64-bit OS (and I will not be moving to vista any time soon)

There's is a 64 bit edition of xp, so there is 64 bit OS for win. I'm sure, cos my boyfriend use it. :D
But aside, you can erase your win if you want to. Though first make sure you don't need any program that you can only use with it. (ex. games :D) ;)

AndyCooll
December 12th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Well ...it's always a good idea to move entirely from *******!!

Equally however, there may be practical reasons as to why it isn't!

I think the timing is dependent on circumstances. When I eventually took the plunge I was only played one XP game (and that I can use an XP VMware image for that), I had resolved just about all problems I'd initially had, and even though I had a dual-boot system I was never booting in to XP.

I've never regretted taking the plunge!

:cool:

Capslock118
December 12th, 2006, 02:16 AM
AndyColl, that is very inspirational to hear.

Basically what I am really looking at here is moving all my files to a Linux file system. Is this practical?

I still intend to dual boot, I have a raid that has 20gb allocated, and the rest (about 160gb) completely free to use, so I would still be able to dual boot to windows if need be.

Also, I run a dc++ hub at my school so I really would need to stay in one OS in order to keep that running (alot of people would get frustrated constantly having to change their settings to point to a new IP for the hub.)

So, is moving my files from NTFS to say, reiserFS, ext3, or any other Linux file system a good idea?

*edit* I do have windows 64bit, but I have had many problems with it in terms of application and game compatibility so I dont intend to go back to it.....

Speaking of the games, I posted a thred asking about wine vs. cedega, maybe you could gander at that post and inform me?