PDA

View Full Version : How do I find information about a website?

jingo811
December 11th, 2006, 09:40 PM
There's a not so well known website that I want to shop from. So I want to enter their web adress into somewhere like System>Admin>[Network Tools]
in order to find as much information about their business and who and where the owner is registered as.

Is there some network tools that can do this in Ubuntu? If so how should I do it?
From the past I've bookmarked a page called Server IP info or something where you just pasted in the web adress to find out the credibility of the site owner. But the site has stopped working :-( so now I have to learn how to do it by local tools.

taurus
December 11th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Move to Cafe.

potrick
December 11th, 2006, 10:18 PM
open a terminal, and type whois followed by the name of the site. So, for example "whois ubuntuforums.org" gives you information about this site. Try it out.

jingo811
December 12th, 2006, 12:06 AM
:-D Linux is way cool. I guess it's true like somebody wrote in the 90s somewhere on the net. Linux is a Porsche compared to Windows's Horse & Carriage. Tnx, whois is a fun command.

jingo811
October 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
New question.

When I do this in terminal things seem to work.

whois ubuntuforums.org
But when I try it on my own website or some other well known websites like

$ whois gamespy.com
$ whois yahoo.com

Timeout.
It runs for some minute without results and I get a Timeout echo. Why is that?

dptxp
October 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM
If you make a google search on the word whois, you will find quite a few sites that give information on domain names.

helliewm
October 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM
www.dnsstuff.com should help.

Helen

mdsmedia
October 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM
If you make a google search on the word whois, you will find quite a few sites that give information on domain names.
Completely off topic, but dptxp...are they Cavaliers in your avatar? I had a Cavalier in my previous relationship...left him with my ex...but love the breed. Sorry to hijack the thread.

jingo811
October 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
tnx.

FranMichaels
October 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Try this too.

dig www.ubuntuforums.org

tracepath www.google.com

tracepath is really cool, it shows how you connect to that site, all the servers it passes through to get there.
:)

jingo811
October 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Cool tnx :)

dptxp
October 7th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Completely off topic, but dptxp...are they Cavaliers in your avatar? I had a Cavalier in my previous relationship...left him with my ex...but love the breed. Sorry to hijack the thread.

they are,
unfortunately they are not mine.:(