PDA

View Full Version : Windows to Ubuntu, IDE "replacement" question

Lycaon
December 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Hello developers,

I alwasy have "ubunutu-periods", i always have to fall back into a windows environment. Why you ask? Because all my colleages use windows, the company where i work uses windows. Most of the programs i use in windows arent replaced in linux. So i never got real time to transform to ubuntu!
But this weekend i got ill, somekinda flew, and decided to boot up my ubuntu partition again! :-D

After some browsing testing updating etc. I thought why didn't i post a thread in this forum a few months ago, look what other users experienced.
And now i do:)
My main goal is finding some replacements for windows applications concerning development.

On windows:
- C++ / C IDE is use Borland C++ 6, it's clean fast and has an nice simple IDE with code completion. Still you have full controll of your code etc. Another thing i like about that ide or any other: making gui's is childsplay. I'm looking for such an ide, with syntax highlighting, debugging, gui designing, etc. Plus one with some help :)
- I used to program some php(this is a question for a friend too), for this we use EditPlus. Syntax highlighting replace all files etc. Simple fast and usable on any other file. Like css html php sql etc.

What can you guys/girls reccoment me ? I dont want to lose any functionallity that i like at windows IDE's.

I use Ubuntu --> Gnome.

I develop for my living, but as hobby i like to build programs to make my life easier. (on windows) I would like to do the same in ubuntu:)

Thnx in advance!

ps: sorry for my bad english, bare with me:)

Wybiral
December 11th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I use Gedit and the command line for all of my C++, but I have seen people swear by anjuta as a replacement for those Dev-C++, Code::Blocks style IDE's.

Ben Sprinkle
December 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM
KDevelop for KDE users -- C++ GUI, syntax highlight etc.
Glade for GNOME users -- C++ GUI, syntax highlight etc.

pmasiar
December 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM
You can try eclipse - it works same on both Windows and Linux, so skills (and keyboad shorcuts finger memory) are transferable. For web applications, try python. Also works same on both platforms. Of course depending on libraries ... and you did not mentioned database. I cannot believe people can get away without using databases! ;-)

lnostdal
December 12th, 2006, 05:19 AM
- C++ / C IDE is use Borland C++ 6, it's clean fast and has an nice simple IDE with code completion. Still you have full controll of your code etc. Another thing i like about that ide or any other: making gui's is childsplay. I'm looking for such an ide, with syntax highlighting, debugging, gui designing, etc. Plus one with some help :)
- I used to program some php(this is a question for a friend too), for this we use EditPlus. Syntax highlighting replace all files etc. Simple fast and usable on any other file. Like css html php sql etc.

..this might already be mentioned by others here, but:

* Emacs for code
* Glade for GUI-design (save as XML-files and use libglade to load @ runtime!)
* Scons for project/build-tasks
* DDD/GDB for debugging

..works great.. :)

Lycaon
December 12th, 2006, 06:21 PM
First of all thanks for the quick replies of you all!
I decided to go for Anjuta! For c++ and c.
And gedit for PHP etc.

cstudent
December 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Try taking a look at the Code::Blocks (http://www.codeblocks.org/) IDE.

You can download the .deb for it from here:
http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5358&release_id=9217

If you're using Edgy you can get a .deb for it from here:
http://www.savefile.com/projects/1037211

maddog39
December 13th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I pretty much swear by jEdit for all my programming stuff. It's the best most flexible IDE out there. But of course it uses java so you need the Java 5 JRE+JDK from Synaptic, since its not availible in Add/Remove under Applications.

theDentist
December 13th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Anjuta with Glade works for me :-D

DC@DR
December 13th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I'm using Code::Blocks IDE for a while and really happy with it, especially when I'm learning wxWidgets stuff :-)

Choad
December 14th, 2006, 04:11 AM
your english is better than mine, and im english :S

the whole fully integrated gui designer/codeing solution doesnt really exist as much in linux. KDevelop is very similar to visual basic, and its pretty good, but thats QT not GTK

sorry i cant be much help, i just use gedit and a terminal :P

rekahsoft
December 14th, 2006, 05:05 AM
i use NetBeans with the C/C++ pack. It is getting better and better all the time :)

coder_
December 14th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Since you said you use Borland's C++ environment, Isn't there a Borland C++ Builder for Linux if I'm not mistaken?

sapienti sat
December 14th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I'm a Borland user myself, and it it would be perfect to have something like that in Linux. Boland used to have Kylix, but not anymore. The latest Kylix you can get is '02. Out of what I've read in forums, the closest are Eclipse or Anjuta.
I'm trying to find conversion tools to bring my apps from Windows, so if any of you folks know them, please help.

VDM
December 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM
It is like asking someone what is their favorite car... it is all a matter of taste, preferances and what they have grown up with. Just try out a few things and see what favors you is all i can say.

araz
December 16th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I use NetBeans. You should give it a try