PDA

View Full Version : comScore Voyeurism: Software is sneaking onto users !!!

neoflight
December 11th, 2006, 12:26 AM
From here (http://www.forbes.com/security/2006/12/07/internet-security-research-tech_cx_ll_1208comscore.html)

"Forbes reports that two security experts are raising new questions about comScore, claiming that company's tracking software is being installed without consent on an unknown number of computers. The widely-used online research company takes screenshots of every Web page viewed by its 1 million participants, even transactions completed in secure sessions, like shopping or online checking. ComScore then aggregates the information into market analysis for its clients, which include such large companies as Ford Motor, Microsoft and The New York Times Co." From the article: "'[The] software is sneaking onto users' computers without the user agreeing to receive it,' says Harvard University researcher Ben Edelman, who documented at least ten unauthorized comScore downloads. Eric Howes, director of malware research at antivirus company Sunbelt Software, and his researchers separately observed hundreds of unauthorized comScore downloads in a three-month period this fall."

is this applicable to linux users?:-k

PriceChild
December 11th, 2006, 01:37 AM
is this applicable to linux users?:-kSeriously doubt it.

BuffaloX
December 11th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Seriously doubt it.

You really have to love the way Windows ensures its customers top quality service.
Now because I use Linux, companies don't know what I want. So they can't make products designed for my use.
I'm sure Windows users are honored by the interest they are shown, and are grateful companies like Microsoft cares.