PDA

View Full Version : Tips for introducing FLOSS, GNU/Linux, and Ubuntu to others.

technodigifreak
December 10th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Everyone, the purpose of this thread is to provide a dialog between those that have successfully introduced FLOSS, GNU/Linux, and Ubuntu to other users and more importantly into a production environment. Please share your ideas or stories with the rest of the community so that we can all grow, and in turn, help those around us to grow.

My first successful step towards integrating FLOSS into the a production environment was about 3 years ago. I set up a RH9 based NAS at work to replace an base Windows server installation that was consistantly having downtime. I installed it on the same hardware and set it up so that the users wouldn't notice any name changes. The installation went without a hitch, I was able to do it over a weekend and when Monday came, nobody even realized a change happened. About 6 months later one of the Windows power users asked what version of Windows server it was running so that he could set one up at home. That conversation went something like:

Jim (Windows Power User): "The fileserver hasn't crashed in over six months."
Me: "Well, I upgraded it 6 months ago."
Jim: "It seems a lot faster too. What kind of hardware did you upgrade it to?"
Me: "Same hardware."
Jim: "Oh, so you must have put on the newest version of Windows Server, right?"
Me: "It had the newest version of Windows on it already."
Jim: "Ok, so then what did you upgrade?" (Really puzzled look on his face at this point)
Me: "I installed Linux."

His jaw dropped. The funny thing is that same morning, he stated Linux wouldn't ever be ready for a production environment. Today he runs a Linux desktop. Fancy that.

BuffaloX
December 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Cool :)

I read a story about a guy, who said that if you want to present a Linux solution to a problem, don't mention it's Linux.
That way it has much better chance of being accepted.

Seems like it's what happened for you too.

weatherman
December 10th, 2006, 11:38 PM
the killer app that made my girlfriend switch was kgeography :)

technodigifreak
December 11th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Cool :)

I read a story about a guy, who said that if you want to present a Linux solution to a problem, don't mention it's Linux.
That way it has much better chance of being accepted.

Seems like it's what happened for you too.

I think you nailed it on the head. It's always more effective to show someone it works, than it is to tell them it works. And the best "sell" is when someone sells it to themselves without realizing it.

nalmeth
December 11th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Great thread!

My successful introductions have come from a passive approach. The aggressive, even assertive approach never seemed to work.

People are creeped out by what they see as 'zealots', even if they don't know the term.

A simple conversation, pointing out that you have completely, and comfortably removed Windows from your computing environment will make people think.

Take a patient approach, like you're planting a seed. DON'T come across too strong (don't drown the seedling), DON'T use the faults of other OS's to push your own. Its been far more effective to disregard Windows/Mac, and act like they are 'weird' OS's, and that using linux is just a normal everyday thing (which it is of course, no lying needed).

Which leads to the next point, be HONEST. Don't say that linux is invulnerable, and always will be. If they ask, explain calmly that they will benefit from the 'more eyes' approach to software development, and at the same time, benefit from 'security through obscurity'. Use a mono culture type analogy.

Don't put the OS on a pedestal, it will make people want to knock it down. People won't believe a fairy tale can really replace the 'cold hard world'. Put their imagination somewhere in between. Make linux seem practical. Like its something they could use. :rolleyes:

People love the word free. If they inquire, calmly go on to explain what free really means in this sense, and why it is far more valuable than
free beer.

EDIT: Remind about the dual-boot option. I had a friend who went completely linux, which failed, and went back to windows thinking it was one or the other. I never even thought to point out what I thought was obvious. He was brave, but most people won't be if they think its all or nothing.

Overall, calmness, balance, patience and friendliness are 4 keys to success.

technodigifreak
December 11th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Nalmeth, All good and valid points. Thanks for the post!

Anybody else?

nalmeth
December 12th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Anybody else?
Yeah, come on people! What have you learned about migrating users that you can share?

I know everyone here has at least a small evangelistic fiber to them, what has been you experience with sharing GNU/Linux & Ubuntu?

Lord Illidan
December 12th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I usually wait until there is a problem which they are really complaining about before I suggest Linux. I don't see any reason to pick up a friend who is working happily on Windows and dump him on Linux...

BWF89
December 12th, 2006, 01:20 AM
The only times I've tried to convert people to open source software is when:

1. They complain or mention needing to buy XXXX commercial software and if theres an open source replacement I'll tell them about it. Like when a few friends last year needed to make Powerpoint slides for one of their classes but wanted to do it on their own time at home but couldn't afford MS Office so I showed them OpenOffice.

2. When I printed out a list of freeware replacements (90% of which were open source) for commercial software and had one of my teachers run it off for my tech class.

Lord Illidan
December 12th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Aye, and that's one more thing.

First start by introducing OSS apps. Firefox is a great example. Then, VLC is also a good one. People also liked Amarok and GAIM. Open Office was not as well received as MS Office...it does cost less, much less, but since most people crack MS Office, the cost difference is null :)

technodigifreak
December 12th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Open Office was not as well received as MS Office...it does cost less, much less, but since most people crack MS Office, the cost difference is null :)

Actually, I've scared more than a few businesses into using OOo. I have a program that when run under domain admin rights will scan a network for any and all microsoft licenses. You should see the looks on their faces when I show them the list of 50+ desktops running illegal copies of MS Office. And then telling them a few horror stories about the MS license audit team. You'd be surprised how quickly an office can convert!

But the point of this thread was to focus on the positive side of FLOSS and introducing it in a positive light.

I frequently "outgrow" perfectly good hardware. I do a "mini-refurb" to take care of any obviously aged components and load my old systems up with Linux and cool FLOSS stuff, and give it to someone who I think will benefit the most from it. Doing this I've been able to convert my grandpa, grandma (who literally was using typewriter), my girlfriend. Hopefully that list will soon include my dad and sister. Mom's not much of a computer user, but I've been well on my way to migrating the doctor's office that she manages to FLOSS.

usernamebob
December 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM
my sisters laptop got Adwared in a fairly major way.. so I offered to put linux on (dual booted with windows).. then about a week later she asked me to remove windows.. it's not always so complicated..

argie
December 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM
So far, after I've got Ubuntu, a friend of mine and nearly my whole family uses Linux. With the friend it was me answering all his complaints with "that doesn't happen on my computer" (well, not all, but defragging every week + adware scans + assorted stuff), and funny stuff, yakuake and zsnes. Haha, well, okay, I wasn't completely honest, I didn't say zsnes was available for windows (it is, isn't it?)

The mom was easy though she still insists on using Powerpoint instead of Impress (or whatever it's called). Everything else works fine for her.

The brother still goes to Windows to use the Playstation emulator (no Direct Rendering in Linux for this video), but with him it was mostly me refusing to fix windows when it broke and thereby forcing him to do stuff himself.

The dad is the craziest. I remember months ago after reading aysiu's thread mentioning Windows Users who use too many windows programs to be able to smoothly switch to Linux I told my dad, "You can't do this, you won't be able to adapt, you'll find it tough" or some variant of that. Man, that riled him so much (he thought I was telling him that tech had advanced too fast for his age), that at first he forced himself into using Ubuntu, and now he wants to make his work machine dual-boot too. :D

So, though softly nudging them in the way you want may work for most people, if you know some people very well, your annoy value can work very well indeed.