PDA

View Full Version : MS Vista, how many will upgrade?

jordilin
December 10th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Many of us have m$ windows in another partition, and use it when there is no possibility to do sth in opensource software. Now, with microsoft windows Vista just around the corner, how many of you will upgrade immediately to Vista? or you will continue with XP in the partition? In my case, I'm not gonna upgrade to Vista and XP will continue in the partition. I don't use windows much, so with XP is enough.

BWF89
December 10th, 2006, 05:35 PM
My family doesn't use Windows or any Microsoft products for that matter. We have an iMac upstairs (happily chugging along without BootCamp+Windows) and Freespire installed on my downstairs bedroom PC.

Are all the money symbols really necessary?

scrooge_74
December 10th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I don't plan to buy or copy any more MS versions of their OS. I have found that Linux is good enough for my business and my family

felipelerena
December 10th, 2006, 05:41 PM
No, thanks. i'm tired of that virus.

RAV TUX
December 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM
moving to the Windows forum

YourSurrogateGod
December 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I'll upgrade after the second service pack. Then the price should come down and the whole system should stabilize.

Stew2
December 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Currently I use 2000 on a laptop that wouldn't run Vista anyway and my main machine dual boots Ubuntu Dapper and XP Home. More than adequete for my needs so I see no reason to upgrade to Vista.

Regards,
Stew2

mpampix
December 10th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I don't have windows on my PC anymore so I won't upgrade anything to Vista. And I don't believe that my machine (P4 2.53GHz 1 GB RAM @ 333 MHz) can afford it.

Shay Stephens
December 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Never. Vista is freedom poison. In fact I am downgrading from XP to windows 2000 ran in a virtual machine. I am dumping all forms of activation schemes. So that also includes downgrading from Photoshop CS2 to Photoshop 7 ran in wine. No more activation schemes for me. I am not giving any company the power to shut down my OS or applications. They don't have the right.

SendDerek
December 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM
My wife's computer has Windows on it. I doubt there will be Linux on there for a long time, so until then, I'm going to be able to update it to Vista for free through my schooling here at college, so I figured... why not?

Shay Stephens
December 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I'm going to be able to update it to Vista for free through my schooling here at college, so I figured... why not?
Why continue digging yourself in a hole? The sooner you stop digging (upgrading) the easier it will be to get out later.

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Title of thread changed to read MS Vista , there is no such thing as M$

SendDerek
December 10th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Why continue digging yourself in a hole? The sooner you stop digging (upgrading) the easier it will be to get out later.

I've never thought about it that way before, but I think it's mostly because I'm sick of Windows XP. lol! I just want some refreshment from using XP for the 5 years that it has been out.

Stew2
December 10th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Title of thread changed to read MS Vista , there is no such thing as M$

Thanks KiwiNZ, that looks better :)

Regards,
Stew2

Big_Croc7
December 10th, 2006, 09:20 PM
:-|

time for a little rant - I've just reinstalled XP, about a week ago, from an original disc (ie pre-SP1); I figured, I'm behind a nat router, with a coporate firewall somewhere I think, and I'm running firewall and av on my pc. So, it should be secure enough until I can download enough updates for it. Well, just got round to 'upgrading' to SP2 - first attempt, system hangs; second attempt, system hangs, reboots and won't start - it's got into an infinite rebooting loop. So I've ditched it :-)

To be fair, I was planning to anyway at some point, this just makes my decision for me as I don't feel like installing windows and grub again right now... (why can't windows accept it might not be the only os installed? also it always tries to grab the hda1 / c drive and reformat it, but ubuntu thinks that's its swap drive ](*,) )

felipelerena
December 10th, 2006, 10:15 PM
come on guys. you have to talk about how to get rid of windows (https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/1) not about if you are going to installl the new version or not...

hoagie
December 10th, 2006, 10:26 PM
No I'm not planing to get them. My pc can;t affor running Vista anyway.

Shay Stephens
December 10th, 2006, 10:57 PM
come on guys. you have to talk about how to get rid of windows (https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/1) not about if you are going to installl the new version or not...

I'll second that one!!!

max.diems
December 10th, 2006, 11:05 PM
And I don't believe that my machine (P4 2.53GHz 1 GB RAM @ 333 MHz) can afford it.
Your machine? How about your WALLET?
By the way, there is no way for anyone to upgrade to Vista. Vista is a downgrade, which I won't be getting.

dorcssa
December 10th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I think XP is good enough for me, so why should I upgrade? For the fancy new skin(some 3D something, I don't know it's name)? Some windows geek from an other forum showed his vista desktop, it was so high tech, but not too useful. Don't even worth to download it.

jdhore
December 11th, 2006, 10:26 PM
i already upgraded to Vista for 2 reasons:

1. I do tech support for some of my friends and i don't want to get Vista the same time they do and when they ask me questions about it, i'm clueless.

2. At the time i installed it, i was about to reinstall Windows XP anyway so i just said screw it and i went to Vista

Shay Stephens
December 11th, 2006, 10:35 PM
i already upgraded to Vista for 2 reasons:

1. I do tech support for some of my friends and i don't want to get Vista the same time they do and when they ask me questions about it, i'm clueless.
I don't offer support to anyone for windows anymore. And I don't feel bad, I don't offer support for mac either, or the amiga, or any other system I don't use.

2. At the time i installed it, i was about to reinstall Windows XP anyway so i just said screw it and i went to Vista
You will never get out of the rat race if you keep getting back inside the wheel ;)

jdhore
December 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I don't offer support to anyone for windows anymore. And I don't feel bad, I don't offer support for mac either, or the amiga, or any other system I don't use.

You will never get out of the rat race if you keep getting back inside the wheel ;)

1. i have no choice to give support to Windows users...i work as a computer admin for the NYC office of a large Telecom company and 99% of the systems in the office and all of the users are running Windows.

2. i don't really want to get out of the rat race, i just can't bring myself to using Linux full-time...i'm close, i'm just not there yet

Shay Stephens
December 11th, 2006, 11:36 PM
1. i have no choice to give support to Windows users...i work as a computer admin for the NYC office of a large Telecom company and 99% of the systems in the office and all of the users are running Windows.

Ahh, well that is different than just providing support to your friends...so I understand now what you meant to say at first :-)

jordilin
December 12th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I don't know what's gonna happen, but to install ms Vista you need an advanced modern computer. People will get Vista by means of a newly bought computer rather than upgrading their xp in their old machine. I hope that Linux will get more market share due to this fact, as people are not gonna buy a new computer just because microsoft has released a new OS.