PDA

View Full Version : Windows Key

samjones
December 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Question: I have a computer (dont we all) running Ubuntu:KS , I have Ubuntu stickers that say proudly :KS
"powered by ubuntu" :KS but then i have a stupid UGLY windows key:( , that, does nothing.:mad:
Why does system 76 (or indeed anyone) make a computer keyboard that has chanable keys. or at least give us an option to have alternative logos on it.

Honestly i would much rather have a apple logo on it than windows.

Any thoughts?

samjones
December 10th, 2006, 08:35 AM
poo i just found out that Cherry have a line of linux keyboards....
well done cherry...
Love ubuntu like its your own child!

Amen
sam x

Macintosh Sauce
December 10th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Honestly i would much rather have a apple logo on it than windows.
Then buy a Mac if you want the Apple logo on your keyboard. I recommend it highly... :)

smoker
December 10th, 2006, 09:20 AM
never really thought about that before, but now it has been mentioned i will have to think of a way to remove the ms 'taint!'

do ms, i wonder, pay keyboard manufacturers for this?

maagimies
December 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Just pop out the key with something, paint it, perhaps with silver :KS, let it dry, and put it back in. Voila, no more Windows logo, but still a useful key for shortcuts.

mcduck
December 10th, 2006, 09:49 AM
You could just use some fine sand paper to get rid of the windows logo, and then paint a small diamond to it's place (I think the diamond was the original logo for Super or Meta key before MS copied the idea)

mips
December 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Why does system 76 (or indeed anyone) make a computer keyboard that has chanable keys. or at least give us an option to have alternative logos on it.

System76 does not make laptops they sell Asus ones. There is simply not a big enough market for this.

Like others said pop the key off and do your own custom job on it.

Klaidas
December 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM
do ms, i wonder, pay keyboard manufacturers for this?

do keyboars manufacturers, i wonder, have in mind that windows is used on pretty much all PCs?

burek
December 10th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Couldnt we buy in linux.org shop some keys wiht Linux Penguin instead of the flag ?
so that people buy for their logitech, microsoft keyboard this little key, and replace it ...
it costs not much and could be helpful as foollows:

Little cost , and we could dedicate the money from it to causes of low development countries ??

Could be Penguin-KeyFlag Ethiopia Action ?

GarethMB
December 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM
If you get some Nail Varnish remover and a cotton wool bud. You should be able to remove the logo.

Not too sure about how to put a different one on.

xopher
December 10th, 2006, 01:14 PM
If you get some Nail Varnish remover and a cotton wool bud. You should be able to remove the logo.

Not too sure about how to put a different one on.

I haven't even thought of removing the windows logo before reading this, never thoght it would be of any use. But replacing it with eg. tux would really spice up the keyboard ;) So ideas how to do this and where to get the sticker is highly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Stew2
December 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM
If it is a desktop keyboard you are talking about, pick yourself up an IBM Model M keyboard. No Windows key here and the keyboard feel is awesome! :D

Regards,
Stew2

Edit: You can get them off of ebay or from clickykeyboards.com

BWF89
December 10th, 2006, 05:12 PM
My Windows key openes up the Start menu just like it did on Windows.

Shay Stephens
December 10th, 2006, 07:18 PM
The first windows key play/pause audio, the second windows key opens my home folder, the right click type key next to that open the terminal.

I am going to scratch off the paint and put my own logos on there now, thanks for the tip!!!

samjones
December 10th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Sorry first i have to say sorry i didnt mean why do they offer keyboards more like Why DONT they.
ok

you said there is no maket, well there is because they are selling Linux computers...
so by saying they aint is like saying they aint doing well...???

And YES!!! i wrote in the next post LINUX KEYBOARDS are available...
see pictures.

im using a laptop... so im gonna use the nailpolish thing and get off the windows mark...!!~~ nice.

Sam

prizrak
December 11th, 2006, 03:22 PM
It's just a sticker, so take it off. You should be able to find a little Tux sticker and put it on there instead.

iPower
December 11th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Then buy a Mac if you want the Apple logo on your keyboard. I recommend it highly... :)

or get a Apple keyboard and connect it to your ugly pc :)

Engnome
December 11th, 2006, 08:30 PM
My Thinkpad keyboard has no windows button :cool:

Gargamella
December 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
how do you take out a key from a laptop or a simple keyboard?
do you have to open it?

KaroSHiv0n
December 11th, 2006, 09:13 PM
how do you take out a key from a laptop or a simple keyboard?
do you have to open it?

laptop keys generally just 'click' in, so you can carefully pry them off and replace them (certain keypads only, so be careful :) )

metalf8801
March 16th, 2008, 04:23 AM
http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16162 this link takes you to a site that sells a Ubuntu keyboard

quibbler
March 16th, 2008, 09:44 AM
My windows key opens a terminal.
I think it's fitting.

Regards quibbler

quanumphaze
March 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Someone could make a business out of selling alternate super key decals. There would be a big market as many people (Linux users or not) want to be different.
Think not only Tux / Ubuntu logos but other things like π⌬⏣♠♣♥♦☢☠⌘ or anything found in Character Map.

Brand logos could have a go at it too.

The super key decal may come off if you try random chemicals. Nail polish remover was suggested but metho or turpentine may also work of you don't have any.

Another idea would be that keyboard manufacturers supply extra keys in the box so you can change them. I'm suprised they don't already make them with their own logos instead of the windows flag.

billgoldberg
March 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM
http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16162 this link takes you to a site that sells a Ubuntu keyboard

Thank for that link.

That keyboard looks awesome.

http://www.zareason.com/shop/images/D/Ubuntu%20full%20keyboard%20straight%20on%20924.jpg

They sell at $25 (€16), I only hope they ship to Europe because I'm getting on of these.

sargetech
March 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
OOOOOOH, it looks so crunchy,:popcorn:

sargetech
March 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I think it's fitting.

Regards quibbler
Very True!!! go to system,preferences,keyboard shortcuts,
scroll down to "run a terminal" and click on it then press either
the left windows logo key (SUPER_L) or if you prefer the one on
the right side of the keyboard (SUPER_R).then press and Poof!!!
terminal window ease!!!

Live long and prosper:)

Bruce M.
March 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I think it's fitting.

Regards quibbler

How did you do that?

My two keys do nothing at all.

The "Menu Key" (to the left of the left MS Key) opens a menu if there is one available where ever the mouse pointer is.

EDIT: DUH! Now I see the last post of the thread ... just above this. :)
EDIT 2: Keyboard Shortcuts are greyed out. Xubuntu thing maybe?

init1
March 16th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I've heard that you can remove it with a sugar cube. That way you won't damage the key itself