PDA

View Full Version : Vista: My thoughts

Wafflesomd
December 10th, 2006, 05:40 AM
So I managed to get myself a nice little copy of Vista Business, curtisy of my father and his job.

So far:

Pro's:

It's snazzy, and extremely simple to setup. They have cut down the actual setup options down to about 3, not really, but you know what I mean.

Everything that I used in XP works in Vista. Gaming performance in the source engine is actually a heck of a lot smoother.

I'm surprised at how well Vista handles windows transitions, I base this on the fact that my desk is being rendered via my GPU.

It's a lot faster than XP, generic tasks wise, I havn't encountered a slow down yet.

Cons:

The install took days! Actually, it was more like an hour.

The install took up 8 gigs, wait, where's the rest of my hdd?

I did encounter an error, resulting in disconnecting all my hdd's, except my targeted install drive, then re-installing vista.

You have to re-activate your copy of Vista every 180 day's.

Other than that, I have to tip my hat off to M$, I was really expecting a half-assed XP copy. It has a lot of features and useful utilities, basically, everything that you might have wanted to see in XP, is here.

Those are my first impressions, now, time to boot back into Ubuntu for a bit.

aysiu
December 10th, 2006, 05:55 AM
I've moved this to the Windows forum.

Wafflesomd
December 10th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Ah, sry bout that, I had no idea there was the "other OS" topic.

jdhore
December 11th, 2006, 10:34 PM
So I managed to get myself a nice little copy of Vista Business, curtisy of my father and his job.

So far:

Pro's:

It's snazzy, and extremely simple to setup. They have cut down the actual setup options down to about 3, not really, but you know what I mean.

Everything that I used in XP works in Vista. Gaming performance in the source engine is actually a heck of a lot smoother.

I'm surprised at how well Vista handles windows transitions, I base this on the fact that my desk is being rendered via my GPU.

It's a lot faster than XP, generic tasks wise, I havn't encountered a slow down yet.

Cons:

The install took days! Actually, it was more like an hour.

The install took up 8 gigs, wait, where's the rest of my hdd?

I did encounter an error, resulting in disconnecting all my hdd's, except my targeted install drive, then re-installing vista.

You have to re-activate your copy of Vista every 180 day's.

Other than that, I have to tip my hat off to M$, I was really expecting a half-assed XP copy. It has a lot of features and useful utilities, basically, everything that you might have wanted to see in XP, is here.

Those are my first impressions, now, time to boot back into Ubuntu for a bit.

heh...wow...i totally agree with you on every point you made...that's exactly how the Vista "experience" has been for me...

Fatec
December 12th, 2006, 07:09 PM
heh...wow...i totally agree with you on every point you made...that's exactly how the Vista "experience" has been for me...

Quite the opposite for me, nearly 2 minute start up time (a min 49seconds to deskop and everything loaded)

Transitions are not flued, the nvidia drivers have just used a speed trick to make it feel faster when in facts its just speeded up so u dont notice the lag(this takes the fluid part away)

Windows media player 11 is slow as hell, and lets face it, but ugly.

RC2's aero was pretty nice, rtms sucks (why did they change it?)

Simple things like opening explorer and browsing through folders is slower than within xp..and where the hell has my up button gone?

This is where you step in to tell me i need a new system, right?

Well, my current rig is

AMD64 3200+
2GB DDR400/PC3700
Geforce 7600GT (Pci-Express)
Asus A8N-E Deluxe

Now it may not be the best out...but i can play all the latest games quite fluently...but apparently i cant even do basic transparency fluidly...*rolls eyes*

Well, you can say vista is made for dual cores (which im guessing is true as its slow as **** on everything else)

But....xp can do EVERYTHING vista can do...and alot quicker as well, so why the hell should i need a 3 grand pc just to run an OS? its stupid.

And not worth it just for abit of eye candy (which, again, lets face it..sucks, try makin a window go fullscreen, bye bye transparency, hell dark blur borders and black start toolbar, wahoo)

The apparent new network stack is more bad than good, the new audio stack is somewhat good...but you've lost *half* of the control over audio now..and it takes 5-6 more clicks just to get to what u want to do, this goes for vista in a whole, what used to be 2 clicks is now 6.

UAC again, as i said in a previous thread is the worst thing known to man and pops up at every god damn second....

That went off within 5 minutes.

Overall vista is just a mac/linux clone that went horrible wrong.

Sure..when you first start it up...it looks pretty, then when you get to the actual OS you come to a huge dissapointment.

With every feature promised now stripped...and we are now left with 'flip3d' (wahoo, exciting....) it isnt worth paying any money for vista.

Just as many other people believe, vista needed to be xp sp3, as its not worth to be much more.

i can play dvds fine on my 700mhz p3 (old rig)

yet i cant play dvds fine on my current rig in vista because its not 'powerful' enough to run that resource hungry piece of crap.

High definition videos? not even worth it. stutter...stutter...frame drop...crash. about sums that one up.

I use both windows and linux all the time, but vista just straight up sucks and i dont care if m$ fanboys (even on a linux forum) bash me for that one, its just the plain truth.

/end rant.

hoagie
December 12th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Quite the opposite for me, nearly 2 minute start up time (a min 49seconds to deskop and everything loaded)

Transitions are not flued, the nvidia drivers have just used a speed trick to make it feel faster when in facts its just speeded up so u dont notice the lag(this takes the fluid part away)

Windows media player 11 is slow as hell, and lets face it, but ugly.

RC2's aero was pretty nice, rtms sucks (why did they change it?)

Simple things like opening explorer and browsing through folders is slower than within xp..and where the hell has my up button gone?

This is where you step in to tell me i need a new system, right?

Well, my current rig is

AMD64 3200+
2GB DDR400/PC3700
Geforce 7600GT (Pci-Express)
Asus A8N-E Deluxe

Now it may not be the best out...but i can play all the latest games quite fluently...but apparently i cant even do basic transparency fluidly...*rolls eyes*

Well, you can say vista is made for dual cores (which im guessing is true as its slow as **** on everything else)

But....xp can do EVERYTHING vista can do...and alot quicker as well, so why the hell should i need a 3 grand pc just to run an OS? its stupid.

And not worth it just for abit of eye candy (which, again, lets face it..sucks, try makin a window go fullscreen, bye bye transparency, hell dark blur borders and black start toolbar, wahoo)

The apparent new network stack is more bad than good, the new audio stack is somewhat good...but you've lost *half* of the control over audio now..and it takes 5-6 more clicks just to get to what u want to do, this goes for vista in a whole, what used to be 2 clicks is now 6.

UAC again, as i said in a previous thread is the worst thing known to man and pops up at every god damn second....

That went off within 5 minutes.

Overall vista is just a mac/linux clone that went horrible wrong.

Sure..when you first start it up...it looks pretty, then when you get to the actual OS you come to a huge dissapointment.

With every feature promised now stripped...and we are now left with 'flip3d' (wahoo, exciting....) it isnt worth paying any money for vista.

Just as many other people believe, vista needed to be xp sp3, as its not worth to be much more.

i can play dvds fine on my 700mhz p3 (old rig)

yet i cant play dvds fine on my current rig in vista because its not 'powerful' enough to run that resource hungry piece of crap.

High definition videos? not even worth it. stutter...stutter...frame drop...crash. about sums that one up.

I use both windows and linux all the time, but vista just straight up sucks and i dont care if m$ fanboys (even on a linux forum) bash me for that one, its just the plain truth.

/end rant.

Well said. I agree and i can;t understand why everyone's is so excited about Vista. It's just a new GUI and security updates(I have to admite they did something good about security for the first time).