PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu On Vmware

soul814
December 10th, 2006, 01:24 AM
So I was just wondering, what am I missing out by using ubuntu on vmware as opposed to booting directly into ubuntu. Would there be a big difference in speed differences. The biggest difference I noticed was with firefox. I used swiftfox in ubuntu and it wasn't as fast as firefox on windows. =( I was using edgy when it first came out and it kept bugging which made me sad. Is it better now? (Why do I ask, of course it's better)

AndyCooll
December 10th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Well ...speed is the main aspect you are going to lose since you are running the image under the amin operating system. In effect they are sharing processing power, the the image is obviously going to be given second priority. Although using VMware you can run an OS at speeds "approaching" normal speed there is in reality always going to be a noticeable lag.

:cool:

slicker
December 10th, 2006, 02:27 PM
So I was just wondering, what am I missing out by using ubuntu on vmware as opposed to booting directly into ubuntu. Would there be a big difference in speed differences. The biggest difference I noticed was with firefox. I used swiftfox in ubuntu and it wasn't as fast as firefox on windows. =( I was using edgy when it first came out and it kept bugging which made me sad. Is it better now? (Why do I ask, of course it's better)

Don't think that Swiftfox is going to be faster because of its name. The swiftfox site does not claim its faster, only that its "optimized". The little benchmark data that exists says it only has a fraction of a second improvement in rendering speed. I find that Iceweasel the GNU variant of Firefox is actually faster.