greggh
December 9th, 2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxqx4hgeKgQ

and the discussion on Digg...

http://digg.com/tech_news/Geek_Squad_SUCKS

That_Geek
December 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
yes, i just watched that a few hours ago

what a bunch of useless newbs, i had to go in there to see if my power supply was working, of course they got it wrong and tried to sell me some really overpriced crap

Somenoob
December 9th, 2006, 07:54 PM
That Narrator/reporter really did describe everything in a improper way.

Anyways, I once worked in a computer repair shop the manager was quite a decent person but he was dishonest when it came to business,

first of all virus scans were the commonest and their prices depended on the amount of viruses, but he always just charged the standard price regardless of amount

He was also uninformative about prices, the average customer would probably just expect a reasonable bill so they felt it was unnecessary to ask, but his prices were righteously high.

this business abused the costumers ignorance, and always recommended typical, expensive, closed source and proprietary programs for simple tasks.

If a machine had no problems, and simple errors that are corrected in about 5 seconds, it still would fall under the "work" category which was also an extraordinary price.

these are all of course unethical business practises. But working in a rapier service is difficult, dealing with these inexperienced users who should RTFM just makes you wan't to attack them.

Stew2
December 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM
That video is why I repair/build my own systems. When I want to get fed a line of BS I just go to <insert large chain store name here> and ask them a few questions :D

Regards,
Stew2

Xzallion
December 9th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Reminds me that my computer hardware and software classes were really worth it.

H.E. Pennypacker
December 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM
This story applies to all areas of life. You need to be careful with your computers, TVs, cars, dishwashers, etc. You simply can't trust a supposedly "certified" technician when you're told something. It's not a replacement for doing your own homework.

I work in a pharmacy, and I work with other "certified" technicians, and a bunch of them don't know a single thing. The government certifies them, but oh, it's all worthless. Also, I fully admit, we sometimes lie to our customers about certain things, but nothing that affects the price of their medications.

We feed them BS about why their prescription took longer to fill than promised. "Oh, your insurance was down." "Ah, I see, the doctor didn't send us the script yet." The blame is always on someone else, and I take part in this myself, except, of course, with patients I like.

Lord Illidan
December 9th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Oh wow....Thank God I have my A+ and can fix my own problems here at home.

iPower
December 9th, 2006, 10:03 PM
That video is why I repair/build my own systems. When I want to get fed a line of BS I just go to <insert large chain store name here> and ask them a few questions :D

Regards,
Stew2

i ask hard questions that they never have a answer to :P

Lord Illidan
December 9th, 2006, 10:29 PM
i ask hard questions that they never have a answer to :P
Ha, just ask them something about linux or whether something will support it. Blank looks all round.

iPower
December 10th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Ha, just ask them something about linux or whether something will support it. Blank looks all round.

i think you can get the same blank looks if you change linux to mac os x in the question

smoker
December 10th, 2006, 02:02 AM
unfortunately, whether it is with computers, cars, roofs, whatever, the minute you are perceived to be clueless, the rip-off merchants will seize their chance to fleece you.

Tux Aubrey
December 10th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I've experienced this myself with a leased laptop repair under warranty. A faulty plug on the power adapter resulted in a "replaced" motherboard and a bill for over $1000 to the insurer. And they didn't even replace the power plug until I threatened them with exposure! Not that I could find anyone at the insurance or leasing company who could give a damn -or even knew what I was talking about. You really have to wonder about an economic system that takes this as "normal" business practice. I guess we all pay for it in the end.:(