PDA

View Full Version : Sarge's March Forward

poofyhairguy
May 3rd, 2005, 11:03 PM
Sarge is soon to be released:

http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=1232

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS. A lot of bad air has risen between Ubuntu and Debian lately on some news sites (very trollish if you ask me) and I think the core of the problem was tension related to Sarge's release. now that Sarge will be released, Debianites will feel better, a great server distro will once again grab the spotlight for a while.

Of course, I don't think Sarge will get all of the Debian desktop users back. I hope that community is fine with its role of being a server distro. Does anyone here plan to scrap Ubuntu for Sarge when it releases?

-Rick-
May 3rd, 2005, 11:07 PM
Does anyone here plan to scrap Ubuntu for Sarge when it releases?

Nope :)

23meg
May 3rd, 2005, 11:09 PM
i'll definitely give it a go (probably a VMWare one :;) ), but wouldn't scrap ubuntu for it.

baza41
May 3rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
i'll definitely give it a go (probably a VMWare one :;) ), but wouldn't scrap ubuntu for it.
I use Ubutnu 5.04 as a server and am very happy with it ta. :)

nocturn
May 4th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Of course, I don't think Sarge will get all of the Debian desktop users back. I hope that community is fine with its role of being a server distro. Does anyone here plan to scrap Ubuntu for Sarge when it releases?

Not at all. I was considering Sarge for my server (replacing Gentoo).
But I would like to know that it will not take 3-4 years for the next release (Etch) to come out.

My server will probably end up on Hoary, although I would like to see some stuff I use move to main in the future.

poofyhairguy
May 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM
My server will probably end up on Hoary, although I would like to see some stuff I use move to main in the future.

Maybe by the next release. Maybe not. You do know that the Universe gets support right? Debian like support (volunteer).

Stormy Eyes
May 4th, 2005, 01:52 PM

I'm more likely to cut my hair, convert to Christianity, and vote Republican.

deception
May 4th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Nope, and for the reason that Ubuntu works perfectly for me on my laptop, and so does arch on the desktop.

I too, am glad it's being released. Not just to keep the whiners at bay, but because it is a fine distro.

totalshredder
May 4th, 2005, 04:48 PM
In other words; become me ;)

I'm not really a debian guy, but, heck, if it can pick up my monitor for once, I'll give it a go!

oddabe19
May 4th, 2005, 04:53 PM
so THAT's what i do wrong....

all i can say about debian is...

IT'S ABOUT BLOODY TIME!