PDA

View Full Version : aaahhh whats happend to Automatix

ade234uk
December 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I am never one to complain about Automatix. The guys that put it together deserve some kind of financial reward for the amount of time and effort that they put it. I would be prepared to make a donation if it worked each and every time I needed to install packages, becuase I can be bothered and dont have time to go searching.

Anyway just recently I reinstalled Ubuntu Edgy on my other box and installed Automatix. I had real problems trying to install the Nvidia Driver. So I then opted to it manually no luck. I gave up in the end. Other packages in Automatix could be not found either.

Last night I installed Edgy on this laptop and went to get Automatix again. This installed fine. I then selected some packages for it and again nothing can be downloaded.

Does know one use Automatix anymore? Has this project been forgotten about. I think it is so important to have something like this working properly for newbies otherwise its going to put people off using Ubuntu.

Sarisar
December 9th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I dist upgraded dapper to edgy and had to upgrade from automatix to automatix2 which is for edgy. It's working fine. Did you get automatix2? It should be the only automatix in the repository but double check just in case.

Apart from that I'm not sure, perhaps try reinstalling it through synaptic again and see if that helps.

Failing that, run it from the command line and see what the errors are :)

ade234uk
December 9th, 2006, 09:24 AM
The complaints are packages that cannot be found or are now known as a different name. May be the server is down or something like that.

I will certainly try what you said.

slimdog360
December 9th, 2006, 09:38 AM
just tried installing the archiving tools by means of Automatix and it couldnt find them. Perhaps this is a short term thing.

Sarisar
December 9th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Just re-ran automatix and it's working fine for me so it seems the packages (at least the few I installed) are working.

Somenoob
December 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Try "Easy Ubuntu" it's a similar automatic installer, it also has video card drivers. However, i used Automatix a few days ago and it was in good condition.

Malta paul
December 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I agree with 'Sarisar' I Have just tried it out again now and it work OK for me on Edgy. The version I used is Automatix 2 1.1-2.2, Good luck :D

Sarisar
December 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM
*update*

OK so it downloaded and did something then errored and didn't actually install for me. So looks like it down at the moment. Try giving it a day or so I guess.

az
December 9th, 2006, 02:02 PM
The getautomatix.com site seems to tell of a hosting problem:

"Update: We have determined the cause of the problem. Seems our host limits our databases to a maximum size of 100mb, and they will not make them bigger. We are still trying to think of a solution at this time.

Apologies everyone, our Joomla website appears to be down. We're working on getting it fixed, but in the mean time, go check out the other parts of the site."

...And here I thought it was yet another interpersonal problem that left him running away screaming and stomping his feet...

fuscia
December 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
with the exception of a little problem that got fixed quickly, i've never had anything but a great experience with automatix. and, i've always found arnie to be helpful and generous with his time. automatix gets a 10.clutch from me.

nickle
December 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Automatix(2) is king....I am not interested in any of the politics round the program. "It just works" (almost always) and thats all I want... Thumbs up to the developers & maintainers
:):):):):):):):)

arnieboy
December 9th, 2006, 07:26 PM
For all those experiencing fatal errors on Automatix on multiple install options, read post # 16 on the following thread:
http://www.getautomatix.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=538
The bug is known and a temp fix has been suggested (by adding Ubuntu edgy main muiltiverse). We will release a fix as soon as one of our devs issue a release.

arnieboy
December 9th, 2006, 10:19 PM
ok bugfix versions have been released on all versions of Automatix2.
upgrade to the latest and please post all support questions about automatix on
http://www.getautomatix.com/forum
Our home page is down but everything else is working just fine.

Sarisar
December 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Arnie we love you!

It's working again now for me :)