PDA

View Full Version : biggest and smallest pains in the asterisks?

fuscia
December 9th, 2006, 04:06 AM
which apps have you had the most trouble with and which have you had the least trouble with? kbfx, e17, superkaramba (especially liquid weather), gdesklets and most of the 'does too much' music players have all made me want to go to the shed out back and smash my face into the blades of my motorless reel mower. (i didn't keep scratchpad long enough for it to make me nuts.) on the other hand, once i got the hang of them, thunderbird, gimp and xmms (and now beep) have all been pretty much smooth sailing for me. aside from kate and scratchpad, most of the text editors have been pretty easy going as well (this does not include vi or emacs). gnome-terminal, konsole, xfce4-terminal and mrxvt have all been most pleasant to use. i've also come to really appreciate nautilus too. i use swiftfox (or firefox) all the time, so i've come to take it for granted, but it really does work the way i want it to, for the most part.

ComplexNumber
December 9th, 2006, 04:37 AM
superkaramba (especially liquid weather)i've got that running reliably at the moment. after a few initial hiccups, its now ok. there seems to be problems with weather.com sometimes and which causes it to point to a particular location no matter which location is selected. i switched to the BBC and it was fine. what problem do you have with liquid-weather?
the trick to get gdesklets to work is to install lots of python packages (including all of the gnome-python packages), and to take note of which gdesklets work with the latest gdesklets app.

the problem apps for me are:
-konqueror(this is one BIG headache. nautilus is a MUCH better and more easy going file manager),
-amarok (crashes when attempting to play cd's and has lots of mysterious sudden disappearances where it just decides to stop working and vanish)
-ark (this doesn't even do what it says on the tin. its far easier to use the command line or karchive for tarring/untarring than it is to use ark or ark_kpart.
-knights(after a certain amount of moves, it seems to go in an apparent infinite loop)

most kde apps and all gnome apps seem to be trouble free.

vayu
December 9th, 2006, 05:07 AM
-konqueror(this is one BIG headache. nautilus is a MUCH better and more easy going file manager)

It's funny how peoples experiences can be so different. For me konqueror is great, and nautilus is slow and confining.