PDA

View Full Version : How many of you will go from Gnome to Kde when Kde4 is released ?

Chillee
December 8th, 2006, 08:16 AM
When i look at the features of Kde4, im pretty sure it will worth the switch. Maybe a occasion for kde to become as usable as gnome, if not more.

Will you stay with good old gnome or switch to the fresh new kde ?

.t.
December 8th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Depends what KDE4 is like.

maagimies
December 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Many 'screenshots' of KDE 4 have surfaced. However, as the current development is just on the libraries, and not on the GUI, they are nothing but mockups made to tell people about what the creator thinks KDE 4 will be like, or look just the same as KDE 3.5, the current release of KDE, such as the one seen right.When Kde4 is actually released, I'll take a look of it and see if I'll like it. If it's going to be any different at all, that is. :mrgreen:
I'm currently a Gnome user. But I switch between it and Kde all the time when I get bored of one.

v8YKxgHe
December 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I really can not wait till KDE 4 is released, I currently only use Gnome but I am extremly intrested to see what KDE4 will be like - if it's any good ( Which I'm sure it will be ) then I'll probably switch.

GeneralZod
December 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I'm currently a "devout" KDE user, but it's far, far too early to separate the hype from reality, so it's best to wait until it's actually released :)

In fact, the absolute best approach, imho, is to wait until KDE 4.1 - there's a ton of new code in KDE4, and the 4.0.x series are bound to be unoptimised and full of bugs, and some of the core technologies may not even be "finished" by the time of the first release. By 4.1, we should have a better picture of its potential.

tbroderick
December 8th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I'm more of a Xfce 4.4 guy.

boban
December 8th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I've switched to KDE one week ago :)

rko618
December 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
When is KDE 4 actually scheduled to come out? Does anyone know?

Rhapsody
December 8th, 2006, 10:16 AM

There's no hard release date as of yet, but the first half of 2007 is the aim from what I've heard. I'd expect properly stable and functional releases to be coming in the second half of 2007, and for KDE4 to be the predominant version by 2008.

s57nev
December 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM
"Suggestion: "Start menu" style desktop similar to Windows Xp"

That's in the feature plan on KDE4 wiki.... the thing is ...I don't like that look. I love fluxbox even though I have my 1GB of RAM. One thing I really don't like about KDE is that it doesn't treat Workspaces as a totally separate windows.That's the feature I love in gnome and fluxbox. But of course there are some goodies using KDE.One of the most important for me is absolutely tabs in Konqueror and of course my preferred GUI text editor Kate.But that's about it.

garba
December 8th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I'm currently a "devout" KDE user, but it's far, far too early to separate the hype from reality, so it's best to wait until it's actually released :)

In fact, the absolute best approach, imho, is to wait until KDE 4.1 - there's a ton of new code in KDE4, and the 4.0.x series are bound to be unoptimised and full of bugs, and some of the core technologies may not even be "finished" by the time of the first release. By 4.1, we should have a better picture of its potential.

i was thinking the same, for the time being i'm sticking with debian etch and its kde 3.5.5 release, anyway i love the rationale behing kde 4, expecially the gettin-rid-of-duplicate-apps part ;)

Circus-Killer
December 8th, 2006, 11:30 AM
i said i'm a gnome slave, but there should of been another option for those who will try it out and see what its like. see, i'm happy with gnome, happier with gnome than with the current kde.

but that doesnt mean i wont give it a try, and if it will be worthwhile, i will stick with it. basically i'll see how i feel once i've actually seen it. if its not much change since the current kde, then i guess ill stick with gnome. time will tell.

maagimies
December 8th, 2006, 11:30 AM
"Suggestion: "Start menu" style desktop similar to Windows Xp"

That's in the feature plan on KDE4 wiki.... the thing is ...I don't like that look.I think it would be the best if it would be an option. Then everyone who would want it would just turn on the option.

One thing I really don't like about KDE is that it doesn't treat Workspaces as a totally separate windows.That's the feature I love in gnome and fluxbox.If you're talking about the windows from every workspace showing up in taskbar, there's an option for it also.

dbbolton
December 8th, 2006, 12:38 PM
i think "slave" is a bit harsh...

DC@DR
December 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM
GNOME IS ALL THE WAYS (aka ALWAYS):-D

Lster
December 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I will _try_ KDE, but will probably still hate it.

Frak
December 8th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Had KDE forever and will keep it for forever (maybe, if e17 isn't better, looks promising)

fuscia
December 8th, 2006, 02:36 PM

i'm guessing it will be out around the same time as the next version of e17.

i'll try kde4 (i usually try kde at least once a week).

shining
December 8th, 2006, 02:53 PM

By the time 4.1 (or even 4.0) is released, shouldn't gnome also be better?

GeneralZod
December 8th, 2006, 02:58 PM
By the time 4.1 (or even 4.0) is released, shouldn't gnome also be better?

I should think so, yes :)

kazuya
December 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I have always preferred kde to gnome until gnome 2.14 came out for dapper. Currently, Kde's advantage is simple. I can have multidesktops with different wallpapers on all of them. More ease of customization and eye-candy add ons.

Alas, gnome has caught up in my eyes now. Since I switched mainly to Zenwalk now for my not too new PC, I run enlightenment, gnome, kde, fluxbox, and especially XFCE.

They all have their advantages and needs. One can do with only just one. As it is now, Gnome / Kde / XFCE are fully functional for me with XFCE being faster to work in than the other two.

I would have all of them at all times.

mips
December 8th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I already use KDE.

Right now it is to early to know what to expect with kde4.

If however you look at all proposed features & sub projects of kde4 I must say it looks very impressive.

I wonder if ComplexNumber will consider it :mrgreen:

lyceum
December 8th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Gnome is so easy to use. KDE looks nice, but it is too much K for me. When Kubuntu gets it, I will dual boot and check it out. But I am sure Gnome 3 will blow us away as well. The real question is how easy will it be to use.

Hendrixski
December 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I'm with Lyceum, regular old KDE has too much K for me. Though, Kubuntu did a nice job of softening it up and removing some of the clutter.

A better question for this poll would be how many of you will switch to enlightenment 17 when that finally comes out? I mean, talk about impressive, it's pre-alpha release now, and it's REALLY impressive!

RChickenMan
December 8th, 2006, 04:22 PM
At this point I have to say that KDE left a bad taste in my mouth. When I first started off with Linux I used Kubuntu with KDE, and I thought it was neat and all, but it was more of a toy than a real OS. I would boot back into Windows whenever I needed to do something seriuos. Now, with the release of Edgy, I decided to go with Gnome, and I can honestly say I haven't booted back into Windows since the day I installed it, with one exception (to do some testing on a USB device in multiple platforms). I guess I'll install KDE4 when it comes out, but I really doubt I will end up switching to it.

Christmas
December 8th, 2006, 07:06 PM
One thing I really don't like about KDE is that it doesn't treat Workspaces as a totally separate windows.
There's an option to make this act just like in GNOME. Open KControl (Alt+F2 then type kcontrol), go to the Desktop section, then Taskbar subsection and remove the tick from the "Show windows from all desktops" option. The thing that I like in KDE is that it has lots of lots of options and you can customise it in any way.

BWF89
December 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I already use a KDE distro (Freespire) and I can't wait until they incorporate KDE4 into the release. Supposed to be a 30-40% performance increase because of some upgrade to Qt. This new Plasma tool it's going to include sounds interesting also.

aysiu
December 8th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I voted "bigamist," as I already have Gnome, KDE, and IceWM installed. I use IceWM as my main desktop environment now, though. I dip into KDE and Gnome only occasionally.

My guess is that few of the Gnome die-hards will actually switch to KDE no matter how many features it has. In fact, most people who prefer Gnome like it for its simplicity and lack of features. It's a difference in philosophy, not features.

Definition of hell freezing over: ComplexNumber (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=76421) switches to KDE.

maniacmusician
December 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I voted "bigamist," as I already have Gnome, KDE, and IceWM installed. I use IceWM as my main desktop environment now, though. I dip into KDE and Gnome only occasionally.

My guess is that few of the Gnome die-hards will actually switch to KDE no matter how many features it has. In fact, most people who prefer Gnome like it for its simplicity and lack of features. It's a difference in philosophy, not features.

Definition of hell freezing over: ComplexNumber (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=76421) switches to KDE.
hahaha, that's so true.

I also agree about the philosophy difference. I love features and lots of options so I'll be using KDE4. But I still keep a gnome desktop around because I do like the more calm look and feel that it has, it's a lot more mellow. I gotta find myself a mellow theme for KDE when I get around to reinstalling.

lyceum
December 8th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I'm with Lyceum, regular old KDE has too much K for me. Though, Kubuntu did a nice job of softening it up and removing some of the clutter.

A better question for this poll would be how many of you will switch to enlightenment 17 when that finally comes out? I mean, talk about impressive, it's pre-alpha release now, and it's REALLY impressive!

Speaking of Enlightenment, I have heard there was an Ebuntu, or that someone(s) was working on an Ebuntu. Has anybode else heard about this? If so, could you post a link? (Sorry to get of topic) Thanks!

aysiu
December 8th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Speaking of Enlightenment, I have heard there was an Ebuntu, or that someone(s) was working on an Ebuntu. Has anybode else heard about this? If so, could you post a link? (Sorry to get of topic) Thanks!
It appears to be in French, but here it is:
http://www.ebuntu.org/

mips
December 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM

If you look at the index/menu on the left of the page you will see links with [EN] in brackets afterwards. These are all their english pages.

Actually a very nice site. They have their own repos for e17 which you add to the sources list followed by a short install guide which I'm currently trying.

lyceum
December 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM

very cool, thank you much!

Henry Rayker
December 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I've installed the Enlightenment desktop through their repos (after some troubles...but those were my fault, it seems) and I've found it to be amazing. It's displaced my Gnome desktop. The only complaints I have are relatively minor (some of the settings are counter-intuitive, no checkgmail module =\ and other slight foolishness.) The major thing I like is the ability to use animated backgrounds and the amount of eye-candy (but still running smoother and using less resources than the straight default Gnome install [no beryl or any what-have-you]).

As for switching to KDE...no thanks. I'm content with e17 (if only I could install e16 as well...I tried but ran into some pit-falls). I use my gnome desktop every once in a while, as well.

TheWizzard
December 8th, 2006, 09:07 PM
too much K for me.

:D absolutely. nevertheless i prefer kde over gnome and i'm looking forward to kde4.

drphilngood
December 8th, 2006, 09:08 PM
If the new Kde gets good reviews, IŽll give it a go but I plan to keep Gnome, regardless.

earobinson
December 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM
ill stick with xfce4

MedivhX
December 8th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Well, I don't know... If KDE gets the look of Gnome, and the simplicity and tidyness, maybe i'll switch... But I'm not sure...

haxer
December 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I dont know but whats so special with kde4? Dont know any french :-khttp://www.aurox.org/upimg/sshots/kde4.png doesnt it look like kd3?

ComplexNumber
December 8th, 2006, 10:22 PM

actually, i think that you have the right idea. i really can't imagine KDE 4.0 being the potential holy grail of UI's at least until 4.2 when all the rough edges are ironed out, especially given the scale of the turnaround from kde 3.x.

will i switch to KDE 4? given that virtually nothing is known about the practical side of things, i will have to wait and see if it serves my purpose the best.

PapaWiskas
December 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I'm more of a Xfce 4.4 guy.

I'll drink to that!!!

TrailerTrash
December 8th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I will _try_ KDE, but will probably still hate it.

LOL..Same here.

Steveire
December 9th, 2006, 02:30 AM
will i switch to KDE 4? given that virtually nothing is known about the practical side of things, i will have to wait and see if it serves my purpose the best.

And if it doesn't serve your purposes, then it's pathetic, right?

I'll be trying out kde4 when it comes out. I like the way it's getting frameworks to handle everything like communication, multimedia, software interfacing, hardware interfacing etc (see decibel (http://decibel.kde.org/), phonon (http://phonon.kde.org/), plasma (http://plasma.kde.org), solid (http://solid.kde.org)), so that it's easier to create new programs that integrate with the OS. Also, I think all graphics will be more svg based(see the oxygen (http://www.oxygen-icons.org/?cat=3) project), so will be much nicer.

I'd really like KOffice to get a lot of TLC before they put v2.0 of that out. I don't think kword has a text formatting toolbar. I hardly ever use any office suite applications though anyway.

scrooge_74
December 9th, 2006, 02:37 AM
I rather stay put and wait till bugs are taken care before having to deal with another desktop

aysiu
December 9th, 2006, 02:41 AM
I hate polls like these that present options in such a skewed way. Right now, as of this post, this is the breakdown:
I will switch for sure if its as good as it looks like now 34 27.87%
I'm a gnome slave, no kde for me 57 46.72%
I'm bigamist : i will have gnome and kde at the same time 31 25.41% Now, how many of that 27.87% do you think are using KDE already? And calling people (even in a joking manner) "gnome slaves"? Well, anyway... it is what it is.

ComplexNumber
December 9th, 2006, 02:46 AM
And if it doesn't serve your purposes, then it's pathetic, right?
maybe you would. not me.

szf
December 9th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Urrg. "Gnome slave," I feel like I'm in on a troll.

Honestly, I don't think my experience is that different than some others. I used Gnome first, left it, and checked in on it until it was evident that the Gnome devs were going to make it rock.

Today, Gnome pretty much rocks. KDE users will say the same of "K" surely; I don't doubt their opinion. I simply find that when I use a live-cd, such as Knoppix, I find the KDE interface alien. I can find stuff, but it just doesn't "fit."

New shiny thing in KDE won't pull me over unless Gnome does something egregious - and the community is healthy so I don't see that happening.:)

Polygon
December 9th, 2006, 06:11 AM
it depends. kde just has so many freaking options, i tried a knoppix cd and the menu was frightining... there was so much stuff to choose from and it took like 10 minutes to find the right option just to set up my wireless card... which is why i like gnome as its nice and simple, and to the point.

but i will give it a shot once it comes out.

Radiera
December 9th, 2006, 09:56 PM
KDE is bloated. Gnome is much more intuitive. I did my best and I tried very hard to like KDE, but really, it's just too bloated and it doesn't even lokk that good.
People expect much with the 4 version, but not me. It will be the same shiny crap.

RAV TUX
December 9th, 2006, 10:07 PM
couldn't honestly vote in your poll...I am already using KDE...didn't see that as an option.