PDA

View Full Version : Hardware that makes you CRAZY?

jbtito03
December 7th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Hi guys...

I have a little story:

One day, you say to your self i have to buy another computer and so you have two compz at home. You see, that with two compz you need a router to connect them both to the net. So you go to the store and buy a nice loking and pretty good router from a known vendor. Okey, no "I am made for *******" sticker - THAT ONE I WILL HAVE! :D You use it for some time - some bugs but you wait for the firmware upgrade. You double check it and it has an on board upgrade system build in. COOL! Really good pice of hardware. You are pleased with the hardware.

The day of the upgrade comes. YEAH! That is waht i was looking for. Download the firmware. Entering the web GUI. Uploading the new firmware. Installing..........

???????

.... Nothing......](*,)

Still the old one. Okey... back on the page of the vendor. Reading, reading, reading.... WHAT? You have to use a windows application especially made for the router for upgrades?!?!?!:evil:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! No windows box at home.

At this point you are thinking of commiting suicide because microsoft always sneaks into your home no matter what you do. THERE IS NO FIREWALL TO BACK OF MICROSOFT!...:evil:

... well... i am really pi***d off... just thinking to make a movie about how to crash this router into 100000000 pieces. Maybe plastic explosives? Or a saw? Microwave?.... any suggestions?

And also... has anyone the same experiences? Can i get refound for the hardware bought? Can i get someone to court for doing this to me?

Cheers....

JB

mips
December 8th, 2006, 12:13 AM
You have yourself to blame. You should have aksed beforehand.

What brand/model is it ?

BarfBag
December 8th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I'm with mips. It's your own fault. Next time, take a few minutes and do a little research.

Seeing a router blow up or be smashed would be interesting, though. You should seriously look into it. ;)

xpod
December 8th, 2006, 12:23 AM
It`s stories like that that make me ever so glad my supplier left my old connection on as well as my new one:D

2 for the price of one??

Put it down to experience and use the forums and find out first next time mabey:-k

kuja
December 8th, 2006, 12:25 AM
I vote for plastic explosives.

jbtito03
December 8th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Oh... my router... Linksys Etherfast BEFSR41v4 ...

Yeah i know at the end it is my fault but they really did not say anything about it has to be done with ******* :D Actually they said it can be done over the web UI..... so....

Okey...i got one vote on plastics... i see that really could be interesting... i am now strating to collect votes for my router to go into as many pieces as possible until the 15th... then a pool will be shown and then... on 3rd of january ill do it by the method that won and post the video on the net. 8)

Come on... suggestions...

JB

mips
December 8th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Oh... my router... Linksys Etherfast BEFSR41v4 ...

Not so fast. That router should be upgradeable via a web browser. What browser are you using ? Maybe try a different browser like Konquerer, seamonky or ietab in firefox etc.

I recall having difficulties with firefox and my netgear.

SoloSalsa
December 8th, 2006, 02:04 AM
It is definitely fun to smash things. But (aside from no upgrading) it sounds like functional hardware. I hate my Linksys router (for different reasons), so I do not use it, but I would not destroy it. I could sell it (for eight dollars, maybe), or donate it, or make a heating plate out of it (likewise, make coasters from discs). But I vote that you do not destroy it.
But there are two somewhat interesting things you could do. Mail it to Linksys or refund or something like that, OR, enter Wired's Return to Sender contest (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/gadgetlab/20040203.html)!
WIRED "Return to Sender" Contest
520 Third Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107-1815

jbtito03
December 8th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Okey okey....

I will save this piece of hardware (for now) :D

I will try another browser as i am using firefox 2.0

My report back should be here soon :P

JB

maniacmusician
December 8th, 2006, 03:05 AM
it could also just be wanting IE so try using the User Agent Switcher extension in FF

dbbolton
December 8th, 2006, 05:11 AM
you know what really burns my biscuits? broadcom.

po0f
December 8th, 2006, 05:42 AM
LightScribe DVD burners. I might have to switch to FC6 just to be able to use my shiny new toy. Unless 4L is broken for them as well. (It's only distributed as RPMs atm, and I hear it doesn't take too kindly to being alien'ed.)

steven8
December 8th, 2006, 06:43 AM
it could also just be wanting IE so try using the User Agent Switcher extension in FF

I got a browser not supported dialogue the other night. How do we use this User Agent Switcher extension?

mips
December 8th, 2006, 07:28 AM
LightScribe DVD burners. I might have to switch to FC6 just to be able to use my shiny new toy. Unless 4L is broken for them as well. (It's only distributed as RPMs atm, and I hear it doesn't take too kindly to being alien'ed.)

You could always just use Dapper for now.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=289922
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=106197

po0f
December 8th, 2006, 07:37 AM
mips,

The second thread you posted is where I got my information from. Weren't people on Dapper getting segfaults as well? If not, I will have to dual-boot Edgy and Dapper. :/

mips
December 8th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Not sure but I got the impression that it segfaults in edgy. I could be wrong. I will read more.

po0f
December 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM
mips,

Ok, I went back and re-read the thread, specifically looking for Dapper and Edgy references. Looks like at least one person has success with Dapper and 4L. *sigh* Just when I got used to Edgy...

maniacmusician
December 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Tell me about it. I have a B-com (Belkin) wireless card on my desktop AND laptop. It's a pain to have to set it up with ndiswrapper every time. By now, actually, I have a 64MB usb drive dedicated to this. It holds the working Windows drivers for both my desktop and laptop, and up-to-date versions of ndiswrapper, and I keep it handy for reinstalls. I hate B-com.

I got a browser not supported dialogue the other night. How do we use this User Agent Switcher extension?

You install it from the ff extensions site (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/), and I think using it is pretty straightforward after that. I havn't used it myself though.

steven8
December 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks, Mr. Musician!

compwiz18
December 8th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Another vote. Especially for my 4318.

Circus-Killer
December 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM
You have yourself to blame. You should have aksed beforehand.

do you honestly think sales lackies know whether their products run on linux or require MS in some way. i went into a shop the other day, also to get a router (cant get this sucky adsl usb modem going in linux), so i asked the staff there whether or not it would work with linux? the response i got was "i know it works in windows". and when i asked, but linux? can you tell me yes or no in linux. they say, we dont know.

unfortunetly people that spend their entire carreer selling to windows folks have no need to worry about linux.

jbtito03
December 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM
That is more than true. And sometimes it looks like the hardware vendors dont even thin as if there is anything else than windows. That is really disturbing.

I feel sometimes we, GNU/linux users, are being discriminised.

Well...

now im going to try the FF extension...

Be back soon :P

JB

mips
December 8th, 2006, 12:22 PM
do you honestly think sales lackies know whether their products run on linux or require MS in some way. ...

I ment he should have asked us (the forum) first. I have no faith in sales people, they tend to know jack and that is a lot.

compwiz18
December 8th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I ment he should have asked us (the forum) first. I have no faith in sales people, they tend to know jack and that is a lot.
I would have to agree with that.

Circus-Killer
December 8th, 2006, 01:07 PM

ahhhh, sorry, my misunderstanding. you're quite right about asking us, cos as you said, sales people dont know jack.

burek
December 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Not so fast. That router should be upgradeable via a web browser. What browser are you using ? Maybe try a different browser like Konquerer, seamonky or ietab in firefox etc.

I recall having difficulties with firefox and my netgear.

netgear roputers can be upgraded via firefox . I just did it.
for upgrading router; firefox is rather recommended i guess

Good luck

mips
December 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM
netgear roputers can be upgraded via firefox . I just did it.
for upgrading router; firefox is rather recommended i guess

Good luck

It did not work with my DG834G for some odd reason but that was ages ago, things might have changed.

Klaidas
December 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
THERE IS NO FIREWALL TO BACK OF MICROSOFT!
It's also not so easy to find a firewall that could block all those anti-ms threads on the forums :|

Josh1
December 8th, 2006, 03:50 PM
It's a linksys. That's why. :rolleyes:

jbtito03
December 11th, 2006, 05:33 PM
It's also not so easy to find a firewall that could block all those anti-ms threads on the forums :|

Hehehe... are you getting sick of it? Well, let me have some fun and relaxation while putting my frustrations out on MS. And no hard feelings :D

And...

Update...

NO! Its not working...

So guys, what do you say what to do?

Cheers

JB

spockrock
December 11th, 2006, 05:42 PM
weird that it wont let you update from the web ui are you sure you are getting the right firmware, sometimes I know I had this problem with smc, there were different firmwares for the same model, but slight revisions were made over time so there were three firmware updates for the same model, but I was trying to install a firmware for the wrong revision, luckly the router would not let me do it.

jbtito03
December 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I double checked and yes... it is the right firmware :D

And tried all possibilities and no.... no upgrade...

Tommorow my friend will come with his XP laptop....

If this will do it..... grrrrrr... i will tell you then :D

Cheers

JB