PDA

View Full Version : Column/Rectangle Selection in Gnome Text Edit Widget

foxylad
December 7th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I'm trying to remember how to select a rectangular region of text in gedit (or other gnome text edit things).

I'm sure I discovered how to do this a month ago, and it worked in Bluefish, Gedit and terminal, but I've been Googling for an hour without finding out how to do it.

Cheers!
Foxylad.

Claus7
October 29th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Hello,

have you found a solution to this problem? I have tried to solve it, yet with no results. My effort had to do with Column Mode plugin in Text Editor. I have seen this option in Edit Menu, yet even if I enable it, it doesn't seem to work.
I have to say that searching the gnome site I haven't found anything which has to do with the aforementioned plugin. Any thoughts or any luck till then?

Regards!

Claus7
October 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Hello,

with further searching it seems that this plugin is in :
http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins/ColumnMode
I 'll try to use it with a new version of Ubuntu (and gnome) and see if it works. If you have any thoughts till then, they are welcome.

Regards!

CurtisLoew
October 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm having no luck getting the plugin in to work. I enable it, but it still selects entire lines. I'm using the shift and up or down arrow. Is it broke or am I doing something wrong?

foxylad
October 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Finally solved it. If you use something based on the SCIte editor component (Bluefish, or the excellent Geany) just hold down Control and select with the mouse.

Claus7
October 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Hello,

searching there is also nedit and jedit that can do this. I realy wanted this plugin to work for gedit. Anyway.

Regards!

alex.forencich
September 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Finally solved it. If you use something based on the SCIte editor component (Bluefish, or the excellent Geany) just hold down Control and select with the mouse.

That only seems to work in the terminal. Do you need to install something extra to get it to work in bluefish?