PDA

View Full Version : Python - replace a line in a file?

Tomosaur
December 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Hi guys, maybe someone can help me out. I need to do a search and replace on text in a file, but I'm having some difficulty. If the replace string is shorter than the found string, then all of the characters are not replaced. Here's an example:

Original text:

goodbye
hello
see you later!

Search for "hello", replace with "hi":

goodbye
hillo
see you later!

Basically, the trouble is that I can't seem to flush out the rest of the line. Please note that I'm actually trying to write this to the file, rather than just print out the replaced text. Is there no other way to do this than to overwrite the entire file with the modified text?

maubp
December 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM
What does your code look like?

>>> text = """goodbye
hello
see you later!"""
>>> print text
goodbye
hello
see you later!
>>> print text.replace("hello","hi")
goodbye
hi
see you later!

Tomosaur
December 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Not like that :P

I want it to write the modified text to a file. The original file looks like the first example in the OP, and the modified file looks like the second. Everything works, except I don't know how to get rid of the redundant characters. If I use the file.write(text) method, then the file gets replaced completely, whereas if I use the file.writelines(text) after seek() ing to the right position, then characters are only overwritten rather than the entire line being replaced, which is what I need to do. All I need is confirmation of whether this is possible, or whether I need to buffer the entire file and overwrite it.

maubp
December 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Oh. I should try and read more carefully. Sorry.

If the search and replace strings are the same length, then yes, you should be able to edit the file in read/write mode by moving to the correct location with seek, and overwritting the old text. This should be fast on big files.

I'm almost 100% sure that if the search and replace strings are different lengths, you can't do an in place update to the file.

The simple solution is to load the entire file into memory as a string, edit the string, and re-write the entire file.

Tomosaur
December 7th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Ok, thanks, I'll do that then :)

Ramses de Norre
December 7th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Sed is probably better at this than python.

#!/bin/bash
sed -i -e 's/hello/hi/g' $1

Give the filename as argument to the script when launching.

EDIT: it works indeed better with the -i option (as mentioned below)

ghostdog74
December 8th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Python alternative:

#!/usr/bin/python
import fileinput
for lines in fileinput.FileInput("inputfile", inplace=1): ## edit file in place
lines = lines.replace("hello","hi")
print lines ## although this prints the line, the file will be modified.

Tomosaur
December 8th, 2006, 04:06 AM
I wish you guys would read more :P
I'm not trying to print the altered lines, I'm trying to write the modified line into the file.

It's ok now anyway, got it sorted.

Arndt
December 8th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I wish you guys would read more :P
I'm not trying to print the altered lines, I'm trying to write the modified line into the file.

Note that several tools have the ability to do editing "in place". The 'sed' solution is fine if you also supply the -i option. Perl also has that option.

"In place" is not literally in place, which you tried to do, but writing to a temporary file and then renaming it. This is a good idea also when programming the code oneself, since what the user most often expects if the operation fails in the middle is to be told about it, and have the original file as it was.

Shay Stephens
December 8th, 2006, 01:00 PM

You could help others by mentioning how you got it to work.

Tomosaur
December 8th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Well, since what I actually need to do is to replace multiple lines in the file, I used the following method:

mod = []
try:
file = open("/path/to/myfile", "r")
for line in file:
mod.append(line)
file.close()
except IOError:
print "Couldn't open file"

I then did my regex matching on the mod array, before commiting back to a file using

try:
file = open("/path/to/myfile", "w")
file.writelines(mod)
file.close()
except IOError:
print "Couldn't save file"

The reason I open the file twice rather than opening it just once with r+ (read and write), is because the program's inital state is decided by the file. Modifications to it are optional, and it isn't worthwhile keeping it hanging around unless the user changes stuff.

Also note, that isn't my actual code, since I have a bunch of other stuff which is app-specific.

ghostdog74
December 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM
mod = []
try:
file = open("/path/to/myfile", "r")
for line in file:
mod.append(line)
file.close()
except IOError:
print "Couldn't open file"

the above can be done using:

mod = open("/path/file").readlines()