PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get a decent uptime... GNOME isn't helping!

BarfBag
December 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I ditched Mepis. As much as I like the stability and maturity of the distro, it's just so hard to use! So I'm back on Ubuntu.

Anyway, I'm trying to build up a decent uptime. Right now, I'm close to 24 hours. It should be fine. But it's not. There's a type delay! The only thing it was doing last night was downloading something. What's with this? I suppose I could restart GNOME, but it's so inconvenient. :confused:

mips
December 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I ditched Mepis. As much as I like the stability and maturity of the distro, it's just so hard to use! So I'm back on Ubuntu.

May I ask what is so hard to use about Mepis seeing Mepis is basically Kubuntu, just more polished. Can do everything in Mepis you can in Kubuntu ?

bonzodog
December 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Whether Gnome works correctly or not should not affect Uptime - The desktop is not a core part of the OS. If you have any doubts, logout, hit ctrl+alt+F1 and issue:

$sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

That will effectively restart X for you without you rebooting.

My uptime is:

~ -> uptime
15:38:26 up 5 days, 21:47, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.14, 0.12

BarfBag
December 7th, 2006, 04:40 PM
May I ask what is so hard to use about Mepis seeing Mepis is basically Kubuntu, just more polished. Can do everything in Mepis you can in Kubuntu ?

That's what I thought. Things just kept going wrong, though. And a lot of things didn't work. So I gave up.

Whether Gnome works correctly or not should not affect Uptime - The desktop is not a core part of the OS. If you have any doubts, logout, hit ctrl+alt+F1 and issue:

Thanks! That's nice!