PDA

View Full Version : I just got a Nintendo Wii

slimdog360
December 7th, 2006, 12:12 PM
They are so cool. I reccommend that anyone who is anyone gets a wii. I dont know how on earth people could possibly fault the graphics, they are great, really smooth like youd xpect form Nintendo. The wiimote is great, better then Id had expected.

/excitment

robert@debian
December 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Well I've still doubts about the Remote. I've heared that it's not that precisely, especially in Red Steel.
I'll guess i buy the Wii next year, because many interessting games will be released next year.
I know, I know Zelda is great, however I'll stick to my DS for the next months.

amo-ej1
December 7th, 2006, 03:53 PM
*envy*, the release date in belgium is only tomorrow but a shortage has already been announced in both belgium and the netherlands ... so i'll be forced to wait for a bit ... hopefully by then i'll be able to buy it without the wii sports ;-)

ibanez
December 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM
They are so cool. I reccommend that anyone who is anyone gets a wii. I dont know how on earth people could possibly fault the graphics, they are great, really smooth like youd xpect form Nintendo. The wiimote is great, better then Id had expected.

/excitment

You lucky person,
I missed the initial allocation and have one on back order, I hope it gets here for xmas as its one of my sons presents. ( Which really I WANT TO PLAY ! ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We also have 2 ds's here but the Wii looks awesome :)

KaroSHiv0n
December 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I was looking at random sites yesterday and there was one full of picture of broken tvs/laptops/etc due to the wii remote flying from peoples hand, the strap snapping and the tv being hit, i cant find it now but i wont be buying a wii thats for sure !

troymcdavis
December 7th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I believe you're referring to "Wii have a Problem (http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/)".

However, you're only going to have problems if you have extremely sweaty hands (in which case, you should know this and take appropriate caution) or you are the most idiotic of idiots. You must be flailing about with unmerited EXTREME wildness to generate the velocity necessary to snap the wrist strap, and even then, you still have to LET GO of the wiimote. I played one night for seven hours straight (establishing myself as the undisputed Wii Tennis champion among my friends), and never once did I have the wiimote slip from my hands.

The pictures of broken walls, televisions, and windows do not justify avoiding the Wii. Those are all the result of user error.

sailingboarder
December 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM
i have yet 2 try the wii, but i really want 1
one of my good friends camped out and got it, but i haven't gotten a chance 2 use it with him
maybe i'll get 1 for xmas, who knows...
no 1 that i have talked 2 has had any problems with the wiimote, especially 2 the extreme that they broke a tv
and unlike many ps3's (the hundred that didn't make it onto ebay), the wii hasn't fried itself yet

congratulations to slimdog360, i hope u enjoy ur wii, as it is the best system currently on the market

ahaslam
December 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't swap Gears of war for anything atm (unless my 360 starts crashing again).

Wouldn't it be great if games were released across the board, allowing you to choose a console/computer by its features/value alone.

Tony.

Stew2
December 8th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Congrats on your Wii slimdog360! :D I stood in line at the launch and still didn't manage to get one. Now you will have to change your name to "luckydogWii" :D
I am green with envy! :mrgreen:

Regards,
Stew2

Edit: Cancel that. After reading the post, "luckydogWii" just doesn't sound quite right :)

fng
December 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM
*envy*, the release date in belgium is only tomorrow but a shortage has already been announced in both belgium and the netherlands ... so i'll be forced to wait for a bit ... hopefully by then i'll be able to buy it without the wii sports ;-)

You just had to pre-order in time. I pre-orderd around the 20th of september and got mine last night :)

Dual Cortex
December 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Well, time to change your username to "slimdogWii"

proxess
December 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM
im on my way now to the launch here in this tiny country, hopefully i dont think it would run out that quick, no much noise about it here... or everyone is being very stealthy

Hendrixski
December 8th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Doesn't the wii's main competitor (the PS3) run on Linux? I understand it uses Yellow Dog Linux. What does wii use?

I wonder if maybe the future of operating systems won't be to have an interface like the wii controllers, where you use them instead of a mouse and keyboard?

Dual Cortex
December 8th, 2006, 05:46 PM
No, the PS3 can run Linux, but doesn't run on it.
The time the keyboard gets replaced is when we will be able to input commands, type ,etc. through thoughts (as in something that you could just buy at Radio Shack and plug it in some part of your body.
As for replacing the mouse... it's tiring not being able to rest your hand... especially tiring having to move it vertically. Otherwise it'd be an elongated mouse.

xpod
December 8th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Watch out for the "tennis elbow"...:D

Hendrixski
December 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM
No, the PS3 can run Linux, but doesn't run on it.
The time the keyboard gets replaced is when we will be able to input commands, type ,etc. through thoughts (as in something that you could just buy at Radio Shack and plug it in some part of your body.
As for replacing the mouse... it's tiring not being able to rest your hand... especially tiring having to move it vertically. Otherwise it'd be an elongated mouse.

ah, IC. hhmm, maybe if it came with linux by default it wouldn't crash so much?

I think that some apps don't need a keyboard. For example: MythTV... ideally, you could set up myth for your grandparents and they could never know it's Linux. They would just use it with a remote.

Or Think of in the movies where they have people moving images around on screens with their hands, when inside of a control center or some sort. I work with GIS software, and I can't wait 'till a client tells me "I want to have a big screen where I can move around a map with a wand". THAT would be a cool project.

calx
December 10th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I got one last week too, my girl and I are hooked on Tennis and Bowling. Got to be the best multiplayer fun you can have, outside of the bedroom :)

Add me! 6676 1854 9370 8710

Somenoob
December 10th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Since they werent that expensive here I intendted to buy one, but they are always sold out :(

slimdog360
December 11th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I got mine at launch here in Australia so Im luck. After a few short days Ive got four games now. Wii sports, wii play, super monkey ball and zelda.

Who ever says that the graphics on the wii are bad must be on drugs or something. After playing Zelda I have to say that they are better then both the xbox and ps2.

ps: Zelda is one of the best games Ive ever played, the only thing it needs is voice acting.

fng
December 12th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Who ever says that the graphics on the wii are bad must be on drugs or something. After playing Zelda I have to say that they are better then both the xbox and ps2.

And the zelda graphics are even far from the wii's potential. It is a gamecube game that is ported to the wii.

Polygon
December 12th, 2006, 01:14 AM
And the zelda graphics are even far from the wii's potential. It is a gamecube game that is ported to the wii.

most likely becuase the gamecube was already out and thats what they developed it in, its hard to design a game for a system that is not even out yet.

even with that, zelda still looks pretty awesome.

technodigifreak
December 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Cool, let us know when you get Ubuntu running on it! :D