PDA

View Full Version : Ulteo - Gael Duval's latest project is officially public

Dual Cortex
December 7th, 2006, 02:48 AM
http://www.ulteo.com

Hey guys, its official; First servers/mirrors just appeared about 7 mins ago.
Hope to see you at their forums too ;)

/* hides before someone cries "blasphemy!!!" */

qalimas
December 7th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the tip, I've been keeping an eye on Distrowatch waiting for them to post saying it was out, I can't wait until it's done download to see what all this is about =D

Dual Cortex
December 7th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Got an internet cookie from Hawkwind for being the first installer :mrgreen:.

Although I was the one who said I would give an internet cookie to the first installer.... and, hah, now I just noticed that my mom actually made chocolate chip cookies about 15 mins ago.

I'm off to do a translation, see ya in a while.

maniacmusician
December 7th, 2006, 04:15 AM
I still don't understand the finer details of this project since they don't seem to like posting that up on the site :) but I'll give it a whirl when I reinstall edgy soon.

Polygon
December 7th, 2006, 04:36 AM
yeah someone mind explaining me what is different about ulteo? it would be nice if they explained it on their site somewhere...

maniacmusician
December 7th, 2006, 05:53 AM
well I'm unable to connect to their official ftp server, and the ISO was removed from seerofsouls when I was in the middle of downloading it, so I have half an ISO. what's goin on?

3rdalbum
December 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM
It's just very crowded at the moment.

One of the things with Ulteo apparantly is that there won't be specific versions... your computer will upgrade to the latest set of packages every day. I'd like to see if they can pull this off.

But I think the "connected desktop" won't work.

deanlinkous
December 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
It looks.....just like linux???? :D
Upgrade every day? I hope you can turn that OFF!
Glad to see another distro especially considering who is leading it! Not sure what it has to do with 'taste a bit of freedom' though.

tkjacobsen
December 7th, 2006, 08:59 PM
But I think the "connected desktop" won't work.

Anyone can tell me what "connected dekstop is". I was unable to finde any information on their homepage.

3rdalbum
December 8th, 2006, 07:05 AM
The "connected desktop" is an online Ulteo desktop that you can access within a web browser from any OS; sort of like VNC or running a remote X session.

Rodneyck
January 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM
This distro has potential. The install was quick and painless and for KDE (which I am no big fan) it had everything. Giving the fact it updates itself, or will, seems much like Windows (download a program and install), it should be a great transition from that OS, especially with the familair "start" button.

I could not determine what they use to install packages. There is talk on the forums about maybe using synaptic or something similiar when it exits the alpha stage. Is this debian based? Not sure what the origin of the distro is or if it is built ground-up from the Mandriva master.

Still needs time in the oven it would seem, but it has a good start. Keeping my eye on this one.

Edit: I did not realize this was in the debian thread...answers my question above. Silly rabbit.

zorkerz
December 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
this thread has been dead for a long while almost a year actually but I just found Ulteo and its offering open office in a web browser pretty cool.

Antman
December 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
this thread has been dead for a long while almost a year actually but I just found Ulteo and its offering open office in a web browser pretty cool.

I'll just run Google Docs... it's faster... ;)

zorkerz
December 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I agree google docs as faster and so is zoho and most of the others. Plus it does not have any of the features most web based word processors have. However it has more standard word processing features than any other online word processor I think.

djbsteart1
March 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
There is a new beta out and I have to say I will be glad to get rid of Mandriva and replace it with this, this is after just coming across the whole incident. The online desktop is incredible as is the integration of OOo, admittedly google docs does suffice but its nice to have the familiarity. Again, very happy Gael is back.

cprofitt
March 20th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I like eyeos.info instead of Google docs.