PDA

View Full Version : Relapse from the Common Cold

RChickenMan
December 6th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I recently started feeling better from a cold, until yesterday, the sore throat and sniffles returned (typically the first signs of a cold). I thought to myself, "oh, no, I'm having a relapse. Here we go again..." However, when I came home and delivered the bad news to my room mate, he acted as if having a relapse from the common cold is almost completely unheard of, if not impossible. All I know is that I started getting over my cold, and now it appears to be back. I have set up this thread/poll to see what your experiences with this are.

utabintarbo
December 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I recently started feeling better from a cold, until yesterday, the sore throat and sniffles returned (typically the first signs of a cold). I thought to myself, "oh, no, I'm having a relapse. Here we go again..." However, when I came home and delivered the bad news to my room mate, he acted as if having a relapse from the common cold is almost completely unheard of, if not impossible. All I know is that I started getting over my cold, and now it appears to be back. I have set up this thread/poll to see what your experiences with this are.

Ever read "The Stand" by Stephen King?

/me backs away :eek:

KiwiNZ
December 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
A typical Cold viral infection if treated will last about 7 days , if untreated it will last about a week .

You cannot be reinfected by the same cold virii but you can and it is often the case you will get infected with a new virus.

Also virii infections can kick start the autoimmune system into a hightened state of activiting following an infection and this can manifest in these syptoms.

sanderella
December 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM
It depends on the state of your immune system. If you are low in vitamins, minerals, etc, the cold can drag on and on. When being attacked by a virus, your immune system is already struggling, and you can be infected with another virus.
I reckon that when you have any infection a month's course of vitamins and minerals will top up your deficiencies and give your body the tools to do the job. I am a registered nurse (until 31 December 2006, when my retirement clicks in).
If your cold continues for over 3 weeks you should see the doctor.

ComplexNumber
December 6th, 2006, 08:57 PM
You cannot be reinfected by the same cold virii but you can and it is often the case you will get infected with a new virus.

Also virii infections can kick start the autoimmune system into a hightened state of activiting following an infection and this can manifest in these syptoms.
thats what i thought - its impossible to get the same cold virus twice, but because it is constantly mutating, and at such a fast rate, one can be certain that the next time one gets a cold virus it will be a different strain.

i recently had a cold for about 8-9 days, then got an ear infection on about the 8th day. usually(9out of 10 times), colds will last about 1-2 days with me. i don't know why the virus was with me for so long, but the reason for the ear infection was due to a lowered immune system state caused by the cold.