PDA

View Full Version : Apology to Ubuntu members here

cblue
May 3rd, 2005, 12:46 AM
I just want to let everyone here know that any Mepis user that is posting on your forums, and trashing your distro, is not affiliated with the mepislovers site. Like the person going by the nick of Coolblue. That is someone being mean and maybe even someone that is trying to stir up trouble between your community and the Mepis one. So please accept my apologies for any person claiming to be a Mepis user that is here to cause trouble on your forums.

thekat
May 3rd, 2005, 12:55 AM
I was in the process in doing the same thing..

CBlue the webmaster at mepislovers.. DOES NOT ALLOW Distro BASHING .. and she doesn't
allow Trolls either..

I can't speak for CBlue.. but as a dedicated OSS person.. we can do without this kind of
nonsense..

please accept our (mine) apology for this completely and totally Non-Productive post..

respectfully..
rk

XDevHald
May 3rd, 2005, 12:58 AM
I was in the process in doing the same thing..

CBlue the webmaster at mepislovers.. DOES NOT ALLOW Distro BASHING .. and she doesn't
allow Trolls either..

I can't speak for CBlue.. but as a dedicated OSS person.. we can do without this kind of
nonsense..

please accept our (mine) apology for this completely and totally Non-Productive post..

respectfully..
rk
I'm sure it won't be a problem, this forum is constantly being cleaned and the Moderators are constantly keeping a look out.

Thanks for your concerns and apologies!

poofyhairguy
May 3rd, 2005, 02:18 AM
I just want to let everyone here know that any Mepis user that is posting on your forums, and trashing your distro, is not affiliated with the mepislovers site. Like the person going by the nick of Coolblue. That is someone being mean and maybe even someone that is trying to stir up trouble between your community and the Mepis one. So please accept my apologies for any person claiming to be a Mepis user that is here to cause trouble on your forums.

Good deal. Its never a good idea to make assumptions about a group based upon one negative attribute of a member. Only positive attributes should lead to generalizations. For example, based apon this post those MEPIS people are surely nice and respectable.

Adrenal
May 3rd, 2005, 06:36 AM
Just wanna make sure, we're still allowed to diss windows right?

KiwiNZ
May 3rd, 2005, 07:46 AM
Just wanna make sure, we're still allowed to diss windows right?

Sure as long as its sensible and not just "winblows sux coz"

Leif
May 3rd, 2005, 11:44 AM

What, you even expect a reason ? Isn't "******* sux" enough anymore ? :) Seriously, just saw another one of those comments in a thread, and I appreciate that random bashing is not encouraged here. Linux, any distro of it, has plenty going for it without any need for hyperbole.

Stormy Eyes
May 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM

Don't worry about it. I'm not going to flame a distro's entire user community just because a few fans of a distro are morons. That would be rank collectivism.

SamH
May 3rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
I'm still a noob here, but thanks cblue and thekat.

For myself, I just wish for you and the other folks in Mepis-land good luck and happy computing.

jdodson
May 3rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
its not that big of a deal. i actually enjoy people listing things about other distros, it reminds me why i use ubuntu in the first place.

no hard feelings, rock on mepis lovers.

poofyhairguy
May 3rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
its not that big of a deal. i actually enjoy people listing things about other distros, it reminds me why i use ubuntu in the first place.

Amen. That list about Mepis's "features" was filled with stuff I don't want.

UbuWu
May 4th, 2005, 02:06 AM
There actually were some strong point of mepis in that list. I regret such a thread gets locked here. A discussion on the strenghts of both should be possible I think on these forums, even when the first posts was a bit 'overdone'. As the original poster said: 'No offence intended.' Actually, points 1,2,5,6 and 7 from the original post are certainly things to be discussed here (they were all also all discussed someway or the other on Ubuntu down under).

TravisNewman
May 4th, 2005, 02:30 AM
UbuWu-- it wasn't what he/she posted, it was HOW he/she posted it.

cblue, other mepislovers peoples-- no hard feelings here. Like Stormy said, I'm not going to dislike a community because of one person from the community. I'm sure that there are some people here (though I've never seen it) who might do the same thing on Mepis forums. I'm sure there are people from fedoraforums who would do the same on either of our forums. It's just one part of humanity that we have to accept ;)

SteelValor
May 4th, 2005, 03:14 AM

roflmao ... what about OS 9 can we bach that too? ;-)

TravisNewman
May 4th, 2005, 03:32 AM
The language is important here.

"bashing" is not allowed. Criticism is welcome. Bashing has no end result, other than people saying "OMG me too!" and others getting upset. Criticism gives reasons and comparisons, and results in thoughtful discussion

defkewl
May 4th, 2005, 03:05 PM
It's okay. I never take it personally anyway :P

Slapdash
May 4th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I'm sure that there are some people here (though I've never seen it) who might do the same thing on Mepis forums. I'm sure there are people from fedoraforums who would do the same on either of our forums. It's just one part of humanity that we have to accept ;)

Fedora forums are actually very cool and helpfull.
i think they are second only to our own! ;)

No offence to the Mepis peeps the mod Cblue is extremely helpfull but there are (as is here I suppose) people that like to stir sh*t. so dont feel too bad. I once asked a question in the newbie forum ( when I was still using Mepis ) about something and i got a REAL snotty remark - from a very Anal retentive guy without offering any help. After wich i replied in a simmilar fasion - Long story short - Cblue and a couple others helped me with my problem.

So yeah it happens and it is sometimes dificult to convey Sarcasm connected to Smug + Silly emotions or just taking the mickey out of someone on a forum. Sometimes people dont get the intended meaning because they might not read between the lines.

poofyhairguy
May 4th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Fedora forums are actually very cool and helpfull.
i think they are second only to our own! ;)

When you need some random piece of Linux info, nothing beats searching the Gentoo forums. Like a gold mine....

Slapdash
May 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM
hmmm I'll remmember that thanks

TravisNewman
May 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM
When you need some random piece of Linux info, nothing beats searching the Gentoo forums. Like a gold mine....
Indeed. I've been back a few times, though I barely use Gentoo at all (I have a chroot that I occasionaly run an "emerge -u world" on just to play with emerge again ;)).

Tsjoklat
May 5th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Was bound to happen cblue. I like your forums and I always enjoyed how you help people that start out with nix. Goes to show... for you to come on here and say sorry for some **** that does nothing but being errr.... lame? :)

D

StacyWebb
May 5th, 2005, 02:44 PM
As for different distros isn't that why we choose Linux to begin with ,freedom of choice.
Freedom to make our sytems do exactly what we want individually, rather that follow the mass crowds and accept what corporations give us.
Personally I could care less what distro a person runs, I choose Ubuntu because it does what I want how I want it to.
In my book I'm just happy they're all running Linux.

morethannoise
May 6th, 2005, 02:01 AM
As for different distros isn't that why we choose Linux to begin with ,freedom of choice.
Freedom to make our sytems do exactly what we want individually, rather that follow the mass crowds and accept what corporations give us.
Personally I could care less what distro a person runs, I choose Ubuntu because it does what I want how I want it to.
In my book I'm just happy they're all running Linux.

Amen!