PDA

View Full Version : Parallel processes in Bash

Leif
May 3rd, 2005, 12:45 AM
Sorry for asking womething which I am sure is quite well documented, but my googling skills keep on returning the same things over and over again. I'm trying to learn how to run about 50 jobs in the most efficient way on a dual-cpu setup. I know you & a process to background it, and wait when you need to synchronize things. My first question is : Is there a way of setting a maximum number of processes a bash script can spawn, so instead of having 10 threads at a time running around, I have two, and when one finishes another one fires up ?

My second question is, how do you create blocks of code and then run them as a single sub-process ? Just ()'s around it ?

mendicant
May 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM
You could do the parallel thing by storing the PIDs you get back, and use wait <PID0> && wait <PID1>. The gives you at most two semantics. If you also want at least one (if possible) semantics, then replacing && with || will get you that sometimes (if PID0 finishes first)--this will work fairly well if all the processes take the same amount of time. You could also poll to see if the processes are done.

For your second question, I believe so. At least the environment variables will think so:

% (export BLAH=hello; echo $BLAH; echo $BLAH)
hello
hello
% echo $BLAH

Leif
May 5th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the help. The ()s work, as you noted. Wait PID wasn't really what I wanted because of the delatys it still causes, so I wrote a little function to check for the spawned processes and run the next when one exits. Bash is fun !

mendicant
May 6th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Yeah--that's the polling solution. The nice thing about wait is that it 'knows' when the process ends. One thing you can do is trap SIGCHLD:

#!/bin/bash

set -bm

childfinished() {
echo "childfinished in $0"
}

trap 'childfinished' SIGCHLD

sleep 10 &
sleep 5 &

while [ 1 ]; do
echo -n ""
done

Obviously, the while changes to waiting until you have no more jobs to run, and the childfinished() function starts another job. Note that you can't start any other processes (just use bash built-ins) in childfinished(), or it'll call childfinished() when it exits, going into an infinite loop. This will also take all your CPU doing the echo.

A more sensible solution might be to wrap other processes in a script which traps SIGEXIT and notifies some master process (via kill -s SIGHUP, say) and have the master process trap SIGHUP, upon which it starts another process via the wrapper script.

Paru
November 18th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Can you please suggest how you check for the spawned processes and run the next when one exits.
I tried doing wait <PID0> && wait <PID1> but it just looks at the first PID0 and not at the second one

Thanks

Leif
November 21st, 2005, 12:18 AM
the "solution" I found is not very good, but here you go.

you need these two functions :

READY=0

function waitproc {
stat1=$( ps ax | grep $PID1 | grep -v "grep" )
stat2=$( ps ax | grep $PID2 | grep -v "grep" )
if [ -z "$stat1" ] # if process1 finished
then
READY=1
elif [ -z "$stat2" ] # if process2 finished
then
READY=1
else
sleep 1
fi
}

function newproc {
stat1=$( ps ax | grep $PID1 | grep -v "grep" )
if [ -z "$stat1" ] # if process1 finished
then
PID1=$!
READY=0
else
PID2=$!
READY=0
fi
}

initialize PID1 and PID2 with some processes first :

echo "Bla" &
PID1=$!
echo "Bla" &
PID2=$!

then :

while [ $READY -eq 0 ]; do
waitproc
done
your-proc &
newproc

for each process

Parallel
September 15th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Just got myself a quad-core, and ran into this problem trying to parallelize normalization and encoding from .flac, here is my solution:

#!/bin/bash

NUM=0
QUEUE=""

function echoqueue {
for PID in $QUEUE
do
echo -n "$PID "
done
echo
}

function queue {
QUEUE="$QUEUE
$1"
NUM=$(($NUM+1))
echo -n "QUEUE ";echoqueue
}

function dequeue {
OLDDEQUEUE=$QUEUE
QUEUE=""
for PID in $OLDDEQUEUE
do
if [ ! "$PID" = "$1" ] ; then
QUEUE="$QUEUE
$PID"
fi
done
NUM=$(($NUM-1))
echo -n "DEQUEUE ";echoqueue
}

function checkqueue {
OLDCHQUEUE=$QUEUE
for PID in $OLDCHQUEUE
do
if [ ! -d /proc/$PID ] ; then
dequeue $PID
fi
done
echo -n "CHECKQUEUE ";echoqueue
}

IFS="
"
for INS in $*
do
#sleep $(($RANDOM/2000)) &

#COMMAND TO SPAWN
RF=`echo "$INS" | sed -e 's/.flac$//'`
sh -c "flac -s -d \"$RF.flac\"
ssrc_hp --quiet --normalize \"$RF.wav\" \"$RF-norm.wav\"
lame --quiet -b 192 \"$RF-norm.wav\" \"$RF.mp3\"
rm \"$RF.wav\" \"$RF-norm.wav\" " &
#COMMAND TO SPAWN STOP

PID=$!
queue $PID

while [ $NUM -ge 6 ] # MAX PROCESSES
do
checkqueue
sleep 1
done
done

It spews debug-output right now, feel free to comment those lines.

It would probably be cleaner to use make or something, but i never got it to work correctly.