PDA

View Full Version : Twin screens?

haxer
December 6th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Hello im off tomorrow the 6th to by an 27" samsung lcd tv and i have to wounder if i connect it to my linux box with dvi cabel and nvidia drivers from automatix will it work or just collaps? ;) Im not to scard "whats the worst thing that could happen" ? I hope that the insurance will cover it ;) but will it work from scratch how to "copy" the image to tv like i did in windows xp?:-k

IYY
December 6th, 2006, 01:11 AM
It will probably give you a copy screen in the console and while booting, but then one screen will go black. You will need to modify your xorg.conf file to set it up correctly.

haxer
December 6th, 2006, 01:36 AM
and how to do that the newbie way? Becuse when i used s-video cabel the tv screen was blackandwhite :-k

TLE
December 6th, 2006, 02:07 AM
This (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaTVOut) should get you started. Remember it requires the binary drivers from NVIDIA to work, don't know if you use those otherwise we're gonna have to find something else. It is a good idea to the entire thing before you start, and ask if you're in doubt.

haxer
December 6th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Everytime anyone says "binary files" and specielly from Nvida i get crazy and scared ;)

TLE
December 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Well if you installed something called NVIDIA drivers with automatix then it is probably the binary drivers from NVIDIA because the open sourve "nv" driver is installed per default. But it doesn't really matter, just remember to backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf before you start and then you wont do anything that can't be undone if it doesn't work

haxer
December 6th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Btw deosnt automatix2 installed drivers automaticly gets backuoped? sudo cp /etc/X11./xorg.conf_backup_200612030040/etc/x11/xorg.conf? 8)