PDA

View Full Version : I think I was just Ubuntuforum Phished. Please Help Immediatly

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I went to www.ubuntuforum.com instead of .org I typed in my user name and password to log in, and it didn't work. I tried thrice! Then I went to the regular domain and It worked fine. Was this a phish? Please help! I might have just had my identity stolen.

kerry_s
December 6th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Okay i just used your link & saw nowhere to login. Did yours look like this->

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 12:14 AM
no, like this:

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 12:17 AM
MY mistake, the correct url was http://www.ubuntuforums.com/index.php

I was panicking when I typed that...

yabbadabbadont
December 6th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Just change your password and you shouldn't have any problems.

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Just change your password and you shouldn't have any problems.
I did...

Shouldn't we try to add it to phishtank or something. Shouldn't we try to get it taken down, so other users don't get their identitys' stolen?

Spin Doctor
December 6th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Dont worry!

Look at the domain...it is: ubuntuforums.com and it does not matter what is behind the forwardslash, aslong as you know the domain is correct, which it is.

It is certainly no Phising attempt, just an alternative login they might not use anymore...

PriceChild
December 6th, 2006, 12:36 AM
hmmm http://www.ubuntuforums.com/ that's us too.

Never knew about .com Nice find :)

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Maybe I'm mistaking? The only reason that it would be a phish, is that the login doesn't work. IT knows if the password is right or wrong. IT has the exact same threads as this .org (Even this one). The IP address is even the same. It is either a master phish, or a strange bug, on either ubuntu's part or my part. Does ubuntu own ubuntuforums.com?

PriceChild
December 6th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Just checked with jdong...

.com was bought to ensure no-one else uses it for phishing etc.

You're ok :)

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 12:40 AM
hmmm http://www.ubuntuforums.com/ that's us too.

Never knew about .com Nice find :)

Why in the world can't I log in and answer open posts?:)

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Just checked with jdong...

.com was bought to ensure no-one else uses it for phishing etc.

You're ok :)

Yay! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

PriceChild
December 6th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Why in the world can't I log in and answer open posts?:)Not sure :)

Guessing because the forum is set up to use ".org", not ".com" :)

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Not sure :)

Guessing because the forum is set up to use ".org", not ".com" :)

Can you log in? ;)

PriceChild
December 6th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Can you log in? ;)yes :)

yabbadabbadont
December 6th, 2006, 12:51 AM
yes :)

Hey! No fair using your super mod powers... :lol:

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 12:51 AM
yes :)

hheheh...maybe the site just doesn't like me. We are talking about the .com site right? Man, do I feel embarrassed! :oops:

PriceChild
December 6th, 2006, 12:52 AM
hheheh...maybe the site just doesn't like me. We are talking about the .com site right? Man, do I feel embarrassed! :oops:Yeah i can log in at .com... no reason why you lot shouldn't be able to.

Hey! why're you embarrassed? I had absolutely no clue either that there was a .com! Last time I acciadently tried it a month or two ago I'm sure it didn't exist.

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I bring proof!:D

Sorry it took so long...My browser crashed, and my CPU lagged under heavy load, plus I had to generate this file.

ubuntu-geek
December 6th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Ok, clear your cookies then goto ubuntuforums.org and log in. I dont have redirects setup on the .com one so it probably wont work if you have logged in on the org in the past because of the cookies.. I will also contact ubuntu/canonical sysadmin and have them forward their .com (the one you went to) to the forums like they do their .org :) So many domains .. heh

tebibyte
December 6th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Ok, clear your cookies then goto ubuntuforums.org and log in. I dont have redirects setup on the .com one so it probably wont work if you have logged in on the org in the past because of the cookies.. I will also contact ubuntu/canonical sysadmin and have them forward their .com (the one you went to) to the forums like they do their .org :) So many domains .. heh

It almost worked! I was logged in after the re direct, but somewhere in between that my attempt to answer this post, I got logged out again. Weird. Anyway, thank you all for help. I guess I'll just use .org until this whole shinagagin is fixed.

ubuntu-geek
December 6th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Yeah, the site is setup to use .org so I would suggest just leaving it that way.

PriceChild
December 6th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Yeah, the site is setup to use .org so I would suggest just leaving it that way.
Not sure :)

Guessing because the forum is set up to use ".org", not ".com" :)Wooo i was right about something... I could do ubuntu-geek's job ;)

Hmm... maybe not :)

Pricey