PDA

View Full Version : learning flash

nikolaos
December 5th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I am very keen on learning how to use macromedia's flash. I don't now anything about it so i was wondering if anyone can suggest any good books, online tutorials or anything.
Does it come free or do i have to buy flash 8?

tocleora
December 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM
You can download a free trial from adobe.com and at least pre-adobe they had a great walkthrough built into Flash. Definitely great for getting your feet wet and taught a lot in regards to movement and buttons, most of the basics. If Activescript is still what they use on the coding side it's similar to javascript, php, so if you know one or both of those you'll pick it up quickly. I'd suggest starting with the tutorial and see what you're missing after that before buying any books.

But yeah once the trial is up you will have to purchase it. :)

daz4126
December 7th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Depends on what you want to do with Flash.

The Friends of Ed books are very good and cover all levels.

If you want to get into Actionscript (the backend programming stuff) then I would highly recommend Object Orientated Flash MX by Bill Drol, it should be quite cheap.

There are also some good 'Games for Flash' books out there, the most popular being 'Flash Game Design Demystified' by Jobe Makar.

DAZ

nikolaos
December 7th, 2006, 11:36 PM
thanks for the suggestions, i think you gave me a good start!:)

tocleora
December 8th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Actionscript! Yes! Can you tell it's been a while? :)

micahkoga
December 8th, 2006, 04:25 AM
here's a pretty good link: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/

i second the friends of ed series, very helpful. i've seen them for download on http://pdfchm.com

mark2741
December 10th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I've been developing applications in flash for a few years now. Almost universally everyone who writes a lot of actionscript code will tell you that THE book to get is Colin Moock's Definitive Guide to ActionScript for Flash MX. It's old now but that will get you the actionscript basics (and the details - it's a great learning book but also an excellent reference book). Then after reading through that and getting some experience under your belt then move on to his ActionScript 2.0 book and then by then he'll have his 3.0 book out.

I read a lot of stuff when trying to learn and it really wasn't until I was under pressure to deliver a couple of real working flash apps (elearning course and a game) that I really learned.