PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Ubuntu Backports?

jdong
May 2nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
I'd just like to get some simple, quick information on the proportion of Ubuntu users who use the Backports project to keep the latest stable Ubuntu release up-to-date.

I've learned enough statistics to know that the data collected through voluntary response is worthless to answering my question, but I was just curious...

AGAIN, to reemphasize that ANY voluntary-response poll would have an unimaginable amount of bias -- don't take these results to heart!

fng
May 2nd, 2005, 09:59 PM
yes

JDay
May 2nd, 2005, 10:26 PM
Well, I don't use the backports (might, if it was something really big), but I do use the extras.

TravisNewman
May 2nd, 2005, 10:27 PM
Yes, and staging, and it rocks. But you already know that ;)

ow50
May 2nd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Yes. I like up-to-date apps. I do install from source and build debian packges from debian sources myself, but backports often saves me the trouble.

I have the stable repository in my sources.list and I automatically update to new stable packages. Sometimes I'll install from staging as well, if the app is interesting or I want to help test it.

jdong
May 2nd, 2005, 10:37 PM
Well, I don't use the backports (might, if it was something really big), but I do use the extras.

Just out of curiousity, have you grabbed a Firefox 1.0.3 yet? That's an important backport I wouldn't live without -- 1.0.2 and below has some serious security issues with Javascript.

skoal
May 2nd, 2005, 10:41 PM
Absolutely! In fact, thanks to your great "cheat sheet" and email responses, I built my own custom backport packages in addition to using the ones from UBP. A wise man once said, "to ubp or not to ubp, that is the question i ask of thee..."

to ubp...

Leif
May 2nd, 2005, 10:45 PM
Stable only, I'm faint of heart :) Great work though, and thanks a lot !

occy8
May 2nd, 2005, 11:23 PM
Yes
I use the stable and extras and surely got firefox 1.03

cheers good work

poofyhairguy
May 2nd, 2005, 11:41 PM
Yes! I still can't believe the BitTornado in Hoary is broken....

Suzan
May 2nd, 2005, 11:45 PM
Yessss! :-)

HungSquirrel
May 2nd, 2005, 11:46 PM
I use Backports for Gaim. I don't use it for Firefox simply because I do manual installs of each Firefox release.

Ubunted
May 3rd, 2005, 12:07 AM
Yes. I just updated my Firefox today, though oddly enough it still fails the Secuina test for the Java flaw, even though it's fixed on my Windows rig and comes up as 1.0.3 in Firefox's "About" window on both machines. Ah well, no biggie.

I came here from Mandrake, where if there wasn't a new upate of some kind almost every other day I started to wonder if I'd chosen a crummy repository. :)

HungSquirrel
May 3rd, 2005, 02:10 AM
I get a string of capital X's when I do the memory vulnerability test. A vulnerable build will actually show items in memory, for example webpages you have open in tabs. Are you seeing X's, or actual items in memory?

XDevHald
May 3rd, 2005, 02:11 AM
I mainly use it for FF, and other releases.

Bob D.
May 3rd, 2005, 02:28 AM
Yes, definitely! Gaim, Firefox, Java, Gimp, libdvdcss2, w32codecs, Revelation (thank you again ;) ).

Bob

Ubunted
May 3rd, 2005, 03:18 AM
I get a string of capital X's when I do the memory vulnerability test. A vulnerable build will actually show items in memory, for example webpages you have open in tabs. Are you seeing X's, or actual items in memory?
I see the line of Xs when I did it in both versions of 1.0.2. I see the Xs when I do it in 1.0.3 in Linux, and I see nothing when I do it in 1.0.3 on my Windows rig.

RastaMahata
May 3rd, 2005, 03:24 AM
Yes, definitely! Gaim, Firefox, Java, Gimp, libdvdcss2, w32codecs, Revelation (thank you again ;) ).

Bob
pretty much the same here, except for revelation

I'm trying to get away from marillat, as they have some broken packages with ubuntu. (They're perfect for debian though)

niney
May 3rd, 2005, 05:05 AM
I would if they got some AMD64 packages.

jdong
May 3rd, 2005, 11:44 AM
I see the line of Xs when I did it in both versions of 1.0.2. I see the Xs when I do it in 1.0.3 in Linux, and I see nothing when I do it in 1.0.3 on my Windows rig.

A string of X's is ok -- that passes the test.

Pieces of memory (binary junk) would show up if you were vulnerable.

IdoMcFly
May 3rd, 2005, 12:08 PM
yes I use it. I'm thinking about activate staging also on my box, but not on my girlfriend one.

poofyhairguy
May 3rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
libdvdcss2, w32codecs,

These two things being in the backports repo are a life saver.

Leif
May 3rd, 2005, 09:12 PM
With freenx and jdk in the backports as well, my sources.list is getting shorter by the day. Happily downloaded my jdk1.5.0_02 this morning. Excellent !

saik0
May 3rd, 2005, 09:46 PM
yep, loving it. tiny minor issues here and there, (no evolution plugin for the newest gaim, etc.)

jdong
May 4th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Please report all "issues" you have, so that I can correct them!

Nobody's told me about Evolution plugins for GAIM being missing, and as a GMail user, I wouldn't know!

saik0
May 4th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Please report all "issues" you have, so that I can correct them!

Nobody's told me about Evolution plugins for GAIM being missing, and as a GMail user, I wouldn't know!

Aha, so you're the one I was supposed to tell. Is there some sort of centralized place (a thread/bugzilla/etc) for submitting this sort of thing. I'm all for submitting bugs and whatnot but I was unaware of where to go.

Edit: A quick forum search for bug report on the backports forums instucted me on where to go. Looks like a case of user error :neutral:

jdong
May 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM
You can either file through the SF bugs tracker, or you can just start a thread in the Backports forum.

I monitor both, so it really makes no difference. I'd have to say that more people monitor the forums, so it may be a quicker/better experience to just start a thread about the bugs.