PDA

View Full Version : Music Player

tommy1987
December 5th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I ported to Ubuntu some time ago now, coming from Windows where I used to use iTunes for my media player. I have been using Amarok since having Ubuntu and really like it, but what I am asking is what you use?

What are the benefits of it and the downsides. I have heard a lot of talk of VLC?

..So what do you use and why is it good, I am in the search of a really good music player. I dont care about iPod connectivity of course its all about the music.:-D

xopher
December 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I use BMPx (http://beep-media-player.org) at the moment, it has great Last.fm support, which is the main reason I like it. The interface is geared toward usability and simplicity.

It's not that stable yet though. But it's getting better, compiling 0.36.0~rc1 as I'm typing this ;)

Rhythmbox is also a nice player, simple and pretty fast too. Listen is something I should try out too, heard a lot of good things about it.

dbbolton
December 5th, 2006, 01:01 AM
rhythmbox

ComplexNumber
December 5th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I ported to Ubuntu some time ago now, coming from Windows where I used to use iTunes for my media player. I have been using Amarok since having Ubuntu and really like it, but what I am asking is what you use?

What are the benefits of it and the downsides. I have heard a lot of talk of VLC?

..So what do you use and why is it good, I am in the search of a really good music player. I dont care about iPod connectivity of course its all about the music.:-D
for functionality, amarok is probably amongst the best, although there are other audio players that suppport more formats (such as Listen). i use amarok for the time being for playing ogg files. every time i try to use amarok to play a cd, it crashes, so i use KsCD instead for that.
VLC is a fantastic video player. in fact, its the best on linux IMO.

madmetal
December 5th, 2006, 01:07 AM
amaroK is good..
VLC is better :)
and if you liked iTunes , Songbird can be an option due to its style..

darkhatter
December 5th, 2006, 01:08 AM
mplayer is the best open source media player period. if you just want to play music use xmms. Its a clone of winamp. Amarok is good but if you don't like it use xmms.

wouldn't amarok support more music because it runs on the xine engine.

ComplexNumber
December 5th, 2006, 01:14 AM
mplayer is the best open source media player period. if you just want to play music use xmms. Its a clone of winamp. Amarok is good but if you don't like it use xmms.

wouldn't amarok support more music because it runs on the xine engine.
no, amarok doesn't support more music. you can checkout the supported formats of the various players here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_media_players).

from my experience, mplayer often falls down on certain formats whereas VLC plays everything that one throws at it (FLAWLESSLY, unlike player)

xopher
December 5th, 2006, 01:16 AM
mplayer doesn't support as many formats as VLC. from my experience, mplayer often falls down on certain formats whereas VLC plays everything that one throws at it.

I have directly opposite experiences but hey, it's life (lol).

stuh84
December 5th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I'm using Songbird, it is really nice, despite being in Alpha stage. Can't wait till it is finished, I already like it more than the other players (then again I'm an iTunes fan) so finished will be superb I am betting.

It has a nice interface, I'm intruiged by the extensions aspect, and of course the most important part, it is in black :)

madmetal
December 5th, 2006, 01:23 AM
and of course the most important part, it is in black :)

;)

tbroderick
December 5th, 2006, 01:40 AM
mpd + ncmpc + sonata

maniacmusician
December 5th, 2006, 03:05 AM
I'm using Songbird, it is really nice, despite being in Alpha stage. Can't wait till it is finished, I already like it more than the other players (then again I'm an iTunes fan) so finished will be superb I am betting.

It has a nice interface, I'm intruiged by the extensions aspect, and of course the most important part, it is in black :)
lol it being black is what puts me off. clashes with everything else I use.

hanzomon4
December 5th, 2006, 05:48 AM
You can change it to white

Sluipvoet
December 5th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I like Quod Libet.
+ Integrates with Gnome/XFCE.
+ Can easily scan a massive music collection without any problems.
+ Very easy to browse through your music collection.
+ Many plugins

bsalt
December 5th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Hey tommy, I actually am hooked on Exaile!. It is a great piece of software - it is everything you like about amaroK, but written in gtk, so it will be more native to Ubuntu - unless you're using Kubuntu.

chaosgeisterchen
December 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I use KDE ever since and therefore I was using Amarok ever since (I liked amaroK as name a lot better). Amarok is great, you cannot err going for it.

Perfect Storm
December 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Audacious is a good music player: You can check it here - http://audacious-media-player.org/Main_Page