PDA

View Full Version : Why do you care about splash screens.

louieb
December 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I am 56 years old and I just don't understand why I see threads about how to add color or pictures to the grub menu.
And the ones that ask: I run Ubuntu and the kUubuntu splash screen displays on startup: how can I get the Ubuntu back?
These are things I am going to see for 60 seconds or a couple of minutes most and as long as the text is readable and it works I don't care. So tell me why you do?

stalker145
December 4th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I am 56 years old and I just don't understand why I see threads about how to add color or pictures to the grub menu.
And the ones that ask: I run Ubuntu and the kUubuntu splash screen displays on startup: how can I get the Ubuntu back?
These are things I am going to see for 60 seconds or a couple of minutes most and as long as the text is readable and it works I don't care. So tell me why you do?

I'm sorry that I can't help you on getting your screen back as I'm not quite sure how to do it myself. It's funny, though, that you're asking the two questions together :-k

My personal thinking on the matter is that so many people look for the most minute way to alter their system (in this case the splash screen) because they can. Plain and simple. I've always been one to change the window colors, backgrounds, sounds, and whatnot, so going to such detail is simply an extension on making the OS your own.

Maybe one day I'll figure out how to do it. As for now, I'm having too much fun playing with all the programs and trying to convert the masses :D

IYY
December 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I care. Not for myself, but for impressing other people.

Brunellus
December 4th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I miss seeing all the init. messages scroll by. I might disablle usplash one of these days, actually.

fuscia
December 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
some splash screens can be viewed for a longer time than it takes to smell a flower.

LLRNR
December 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Hi.

In fact I like my boot to be a clear, plain text one. I did this after I managed to get back my Dapper boot splash after a clean install of Edgy. I just had to edit out a few words in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

However, Louieb, for your problem I hope this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=307730) can be a solution.

LLRNR

Engnome
December 4th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Nope, removed the splash option from my menu.list.

NetworkGuy
December 4th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Seeing I just made a slim majority, I'll let you know that I also prefer to see the text init lines rather than the splash screen. I like to know what is going on and where in the boot process my machine is at, so if I do mess something up, I can see what/where I have to fix rather than finding out for example, my ftp server never came on-line.

Rui Pais
December 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Don't worry that shouldn't have nothing to do with your age...

Consider your self lucky, i'm 40 and sometimes i don't see some threads cause the fonts by default are small and my eyes are not the same as theyuse to be...

People who go for images at boot time when they desire to see boot logs type sudo cat /var/log/messages and read them anyway.

maagimies
December 4th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I have to admit, that I use splash screens to both impress other people, and have eye candy for myself.
Seeing I just made a slim majority, I'll let you know that I also prefer to see the text init lines rather than the splash screen. I like to know what is going on and where in the boot process my machine is at, so if I do mess something up, I can see what/where I have to fix rather than finding out for example, my ftp server never came on-line.Then why just not use a splash screen that shows the init messages? :p Text + a nice background for it = Awesome

dbbolton
December 4th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I care. Not for myself, but for impressing other people.
'nough said.

vayu
December 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I have never spent the energy to change mine, but I feel a reason why people might and should. It's beauty and quality. While peoples interpretation varies, the idea of wanting to surround oneself with ones concept of beauty, art and quality isn't unusual to me.

In high school I had a ceramics teacher who taught that the inside of a pot should be finished as well as the outside. I resonate with that.

For me, I want it to look good and show the messages. I like how it is in Dapper. Anyone know, can I have both the splash and the text in Edgy?

chaosgeisterchen
December 5th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I love verbose splash screens which are plain text only. Just like disabling any graphical splash screen, it's more informative and I just can't stand looking several seconds at a more or less static picture.

The scrolling command line output is far more interesting.

Circus-Killer
December 5th, 2006, 08:59 AM
i care, and everyone does, even those who say they dont. its a subconcious thing. and its for the same reason that we DON'T have blue icons, red window borders, and a turqoise background.

things always look better when they match. and when something doesnt match, i like the ability to make it match.

there is one thing that is missing from the usplash screen though, the ability to press F2 to go to verbose mode. i know i can change to verbose mode my editing menu.lst, but i prefer the other functionality of changing to verbose on-the-fly. and it can obiously be done, cos virtually every other distro has this functionality. back in the day when i was running mandrake and gentoo, both had the funtionality.

but other than that, yah, i can see why people wanna change colors and stuff. of course some people wont, but thats just about choice. theres always a choice. but to completely remove the ability to choose, thats just wrong.

ciscosurfer
December 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I think they're pretty. I liked Dapper's scroll-by info (I sort of miss that in Edgy -- I know I can change that, but I probably won't). But, of course, if you want speed and efficiency, skipping Usplash altogether is probably the way to go.

Johan!
December 5th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I miss seeing all the init. messages scroll by. I might disablle usplash one of these days, actually.

I love verbose splash screens which are plain text only. Just like disabling any graphical splash screen, it's more informative and I just can't stand looking several seconds at a more or less static picture.

The scrolling command line output is far more interesting.

I agree with them ^^

And more important: the splash screen makes my laptop screen distorted:-k

smookiemoonkie
December 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Hi

It would be cool if you had an option at boot as to if you fancied a graphical boot or a text boot, but then would the option screen be text or gui? perhaps there could be an option for that too and maybe a choice of musical melodies that make your Caps light flicker in time to your hard drive spinning up It could be like a private splash screen boot rave... yea.

slimdog360
December 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM
When I start up my computer I like to say, "owww shiny".

xopher
December 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM
What can you say - I'm a perfectionist. If it ain't perfect, it's not good enough.

aysiu
December 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I think some effort should be put into dispelling the notion that Linux and open source is unprofessional-looking. So, yes, I care.

Of course, on my own computer I disable the splash and go verbose, but that's my choice, and I don't think it should be foisted on everyone.

Brunellus
December 5th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I think some effort should be put into dispelling the notion that Linux and open source is unprofessional-looking. So, yes, I care.

Of course, on my own computer I disable the splash and go verbose, but that's my choice, and I don't think it should be foisted on everyone.
See, the funny thing is that to me, "professional" means "gritty-looking and utilitarian." Too slick, and it comes off as nothing but useless geek chrome.

fuscia
December 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM
See, the funny thing is that to me, "professional" means "gritty-looking and utilitarian." Too slick, and it comes off as nothing but useless geek chrome.

or something to lull the mac user into a deep stupor.

louieb
December 5th, 2006, 10:39 PM
After starting this thread I used the GParted live CD to reduce my 190 gig windows partition down to 150 gig so I could install Ubuntu on the P4. Well when I rebooted all I got was a dark gray screen and a blinking cursor.
Tried the recovery console and fixmbr that didn't work.
Tried a recovery install that also didn't work.
Time to try and copy my data off.
Boot to the Ubuntu live CD it won't read the NTFS partition.
Boot to the Puppy Linux live CD it can read the NTFS stuff but froze up when I tried to copy my data to a DVD.
Finally got my Data to DVD with Knoppix and KB3.
Reinstalled XP, installed Ubuntu. I am still putting programs and data back. What a hassle setting up email, printer, sound (Ubuntu picked up my sound card XP did not).
Oh well that why I love Linux. If its not broke tinker with it.

kevinlyfellow
December 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM
If you walk into a city and every last brick is clean and polished, you can safely assume that no one in the city goes without food.

(Translation: niceties like splashes show that people aren't frantically trying to solve fundamental problems)

Brunellus
December 5th, 2006, 11:44 PM
If you walk into a city and every last brick is clean and polished, you can safely assume that no one in the city goes without food.

(Translation: niceties like splashes show that people aren't frantically trying to solve fundamental problems)
The residents of Pyongyang might beg to differ.

kevinlyfellow
December 6th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Touché

Though I suspect that there are bad parts of the city that are run down where the poor live. There's that kind of dicotemy in Zimbabwe. We will never see it because of censorship though.

I guess a more valid example of my point would be the invention of art. Once humans were safe enough from the elements, they had time to work on other things that weren't vital.

PatrickMay16
December 6th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I don't either.
I am upset with the startup screen of Edgy not because it is 'ugly', but because it doesn't tell me anything. With the older versions, it'd tell you "Starting *service*..." and wether it failed or succeeded. But this edgy one is just a progress bar. This SUCKS! Man, if only I could have it the old way. Man, I sure would like to have it the old way again. I can't believe that they've done this to me.

vayu
December 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I don't either.
I am upset with the startup screen of Edgy not because it is 'ugly', but because it doesn't tell me anything. With the older versions, it'd tell you "Starting *service*..." and wether it failed or succeeded. But this edgy one is just a progress bar. This SUCKS! Man, if only I could have it the old way. Man, I sure would like to have it the old way again. I can't believe that they've done this to me.

Woa, I'm still on Dapper, I didn't realize there were no messages under the boot splash image. Is there a possibility to have combo splash image and messages? I'd be bummed if it were either/or.

daou
December 7th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Verbal output has saved my behind countless times when booting freezes. That said, I like the new Edgy splash, but with text output.

daou
December 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Woa, I'm still on Dapper, I didn't realize there were no messages under the boot splash image. Is there a possibility to have combo splash image and messages? I'd be bummed if it were either/or.

It's possible. Just remove the "quiet" option from the kernel boot option. This can be done from Grub (temporarily) or by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst.

tomcheng76
December 7th, 2006, 10:29 AM
because the previous distro that i used like fedora has a splash screen.
some people like to make everything beautiful.
That's why people are going to change splash, login , wallpaper, screensaver and so on :)
without a splash , it is still ok, as long as i can see the words.
However, if i am free and i have nothing to do. i would like to work on my ubuntu to make it better in looking.

deadguy87
July 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM
It's kinda important ot me because part of the reason that switching to Ubuntu was so easy and gratafying is that with below basic knowledge I can set the appearance to suit my mood or personality depending on where I'll be taking my Laptop next. So being able to learn how to push it so from boot to shut down you see my preferences in my computer is a great thing, now if I can just make the damn text green, don't ask.

Tux Aubrey
July 24th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Splash screens are way, way down my list of what I want, so I voted "no". That doesn't mean I don't change them now and again.

rand0m
July 25th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I hibernate so I rarely see it.

MetalOverlord
July 25th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I don't. I have disabled the splash screen so I can the see the init messages.

Linuturk
August 13th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Actually, I was just thinking about this. I like to see the boot messages by removing quiet on my feisty install. I keep the splash because I also like seeing a progress bar. It makes me feel good to know my computer is almost done booting.

I'm actually quite disappointed at the lack of progress bar or any sort of message for the hibernation script. I almost thought it had locked up before it finally powered off on its own accord.

I'd really like to see some kind of polish come to the power management features of Ubuntu. As a laptop user, these are very important to me.

hessiess
August 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM
dont give a dam about splash screens, or any outher eyecandy, its just trying to hide what a computer is, a divice witch adds binary nombers together!

ThinkBuntu
August 13th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I remember a time when ClarisWorks took ten seconds to start, and it was expected that any non-light application would take about that long. Back then, splash screens would display what stage the app was in during launch, and so they were generally appealing. I think that a splash for the sake of a splash (like Abiword) is silly, but by and large application splashes remind me of the "good" old days before I could launch OpenOffice in a matter of seconds.