PDA

View Full Version : Any good linux magazines?

GonZo1323
September 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM
any good ones out there i did pick up linux journal a while back but i found it was to technical without enough pictures

Skia_42
September 16th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I read the Linux Journal, I enjoy the topics and the dept in which they are disscused. I believe other Linux magazines include "Linux Magazine" and "LinuxUser"

BrianB
September 16th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Linux Format in the U.K./Ireland is a great linux/open source magazine. Not overly technical and plenty in it for a linux noob, certainly the best I've read, anyway.

beercz
September 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I second that!

I have been a long time to Linux Format and can definately recommend it.

Skia_42
September 17th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Linux Format in the U.K./Ireland is a great linux/open source magazine. Not overly technical and plenty in it for a linux noob, certainly the best I've read, anyway.

How much does it cost you? It is very expensive in the U.S. A Linux Journal subscribtion is $25 a year.

cebobbitt
October 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Hi All, I am thinking about subscribing to a Linux magazine so that I can get the dvd's. As always, I like to start here, I value the opinions here greatly. Thanking yall in advanced

tatimmer
October 4th, 2006, 06:37 PM
linuxmagazine.com
tuxmagazine.com
linuxjournal.com

see also tomsXresources on my website.

Lord Illidan
October 4th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Linux Format is also an excellent magazine!

crispy_420
October 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Just be ready for high subscription prices. I know LinuxFormat is around $170 for one year.

jd65pl
October 4th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I hear that all the linux mags in the UK seem alot more expensive than any other magazine. I'm not sure they are worth the price of the stuff on the DVDs! Thats an opinion tho.

aysiu
October 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Linux Format is great.

Lord Illidan
October 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Just be ready for high subscription prices. I know LinuxFormat is around $170 for one year.

Oh, I am not saying it's cheap, but having all that info handy, as well as tutorials, what's going on and stuff, and heaps of stuff on the disk..it's worth it to me.

Linux Magazine comes with only 1 distro on it's DVD. Nothing else. LXF frequently packages 2 or 3 distros along with other programs and stuff.

Bigbluecat
October 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Try http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/

It's free and downloadbale so you can keep the tutorials

Josh1
October 4th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I found that usually they aren't worth the cost, but sometimes if like a mega magazine comes out i'll buy it.

maddog39
December 4th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Hello all,

Well my PC magazine subscription ran out and was thinking about a Linux magazine this time. Could anyone recommend a few to me. I like alot of the Howto articles and stuff that PC mag has sometimes, so something like that would be really cool.

Thanks
-maddog39

aysiu
December 4th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Linux Format (http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/) is a great Linux magazine for desktop users--lots of HowTo articles, reviews of applications, screenshots, etc.

By the way, I've merged some history in so you can see some other suggestions.

maddog39
December 4th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Wow, thats sick, screenshots and app reviews are like my next fav. things. Thanks alot!

atoponce
December 4th, 2006, 05:03 AM
TuxMagazine (http://www.tuxmagazine.com). Currently, the issues are free, but that's about to change in the near future. The issues are in PDF format, and are downloaded from the site. The articles are focused on a new user level, so anyone can get up to speed in no time.

BWF89
December 4th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Try http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/

It's free and downloadbale so you can keep the tutorials
I like Free Software Magazine. They have alot of good stuff, and at the price of free I don't see why everyone interested in Linux isn't downloading it. Only thing I don't like about them is they seem a little too Ubuntu-centric with all their tutorials being done in Ubuntu.

mips
December 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Linux Format.

Instead of spending money on a few crappy magazines rather get one good one.

The xxx Format magazines have always been good through the years. Use to religiously buy Amiga Format.