PDA

View Full Version : New computer for musical purposes

Specialsauce
December 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
So, basically, within the last year, I've gone from a focus on computers to a focus on my music... but i'm still interested in linux.

Anyways, I need a computer for recording and i want it to be a linux box.I dont want to do a mac because I love the programs Hydrogen and Ardour. I am probable going to build it myself, but i have a few questions-

OS - What is a good distro. I have good technical knowledge of most things linux. I was thinking maybe Gentoo? (I know this is a ubuntu forum, but last i checked, Ardour and Jack didnt agree with ubuntu)

Hardware - I don't know too much about recording, so i was wondering what special features are needed in a sound card for recording?

What hardware parts do i need to look out for as being non-linux-friendly?

What hardware parts do i need to look for as being linux-friendly?

When im pricing stuff out on newegg, how do i tell if it burns both DVDs and CD's? What's a 'combo drive'?

What is a 'card reader'? Will i need one?

How much RAM and processor speed do you think i would need for this use?

I will post more questions as i get them, because i know that isnt all of them... thank you for your help.

mips
December 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Maybe have a look here, http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128

IYY
December 3rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
I suggest moving this thread to the Ubuntu Studio forum, as the people who post there are much more knowledgeable about this topic.

I also think you should invest in a good sound card.