PDA

View Full Version : Are any of you trying to promote Ubuntu to others?

noneofthem
December 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Hey there!

How many people out there are promoting Ubuntu to others and what exactly are you doing to do so?

I myself have been using Ubuntu for about 1 1/2 year and I keep showing it to all my friends and family. My dad, my best friend and my brother have already moved to Ubuntu already. Some of my friends and work colleagues would like to, but they are still to "scared". I hope I will be able to help them and this great community here is a HUGE benefit they will not want to miss once they have learned to love it as I did.

Also I keep sending complaints to companies who are not supporting Linux at all. These companies include hardware manufacturers, websites and others...

What about you guys...?

Amir

syrleb
December 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
well my friend first introduced me to it at his house, and ive always hated windows so i changed straight away, i had been using slax, and im setting up ubuntu for a friend next week...

d3v1ant_0n3
December 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
I give out Ubuntu cds to anyone who complains about windows problems (advising them to try it and see, and explaining that they don't need to install anything!). I've managed to get a couple of people to actually install it and enjoy it. The missus' boss now prefers it over windows- a month ago he didn't even know there was Linux!

tribaal
December 3rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
I "assimilated" 10 people myself, so far. Being in a software engineering school helps of course (lots of curious geeks around) ;)

Out of the 10 people, a vast majority now dual boots (around 7). Two decided to go back to windows for various reasons, and one made the full switch. Actually I'm pretty proud of him, he's more of a zealot/evangelist than myself now :)

But my biggest pride is to have converted one of my teachers :) She dual boots still, but man it feels sweet!

I also wrote a howto explaining how to connect a Ubuntu laptop to the school's wifi network, it should be online on the school's site soon.

We'll try to host an install-party around here (Geneva, Switzerland) soon, so if you're around and feel like you could give a few newbies a hand, don't hesitate to PM :)

Resistance is futile.
You will be assimilated.
:-D

- trib'

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Yes. Here are a few of the things that I do to help promote Ubuntu:

I joined the Marketing Team. I hope from here that we can get out good promotional tools and marketing ideas to help Spread Ubuuntu.
I have a "Geek Bag" that I carry with me everywhere I go. In the bag, I keep a set of replaceable tools to help spead ubuntu. These include:
Many Ubuntu CDs. x86, AMD-64, PowerPC and the new Sparc. Versions include 6.06.1 Dapper Drake and 6.10 Edgy Eft.
A few Kubuntu CDs. Same as above.
A couple Edubuntu CDs. Just 6.10 Edgy Eft.
Some CDs from Software For Starving Students (http://www.softwarefor.org), PortableApps (http://www.portableapps.com) and TheOpenCD (http://www.theopencd.org/).
A small comic from DVZine (http://www.dvzine.org) to promote using the Dvorak Keyboard Layout over QWERTY (not really Ubuntu-related, but heavily distributed).
I'm a member of the Ubuntu-Utah LoCo team. We strive to get local LUGs in our area to use Ubuntu.
I'm also President of the OALUG. I use my Ubuntu laptop at all my presentations, and make sure to put in a plug for how wonderful a distro it is.

noneofthem
December 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Thumbs up for you, buddy!

This is how it's done! Great stuff! I like your "geek bag".

RandomJoe
December 3rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
I'm not really doing "everything I can" but I do promote it. I'm a bit more careful about what I say to who, though. I had been suggesting it as a pretty much blanket Windows replacement "with conditions" - obviously their hardware would have to support it. But I *finally* got my parents to try it... Ouch...

The system works fine, and their peripherals even work *okay*. But they just weren't too happy with a few things. Their primary complaint was the printer wouldn't print in as high of a quality mode as it did in Windows. It was very nearly a WinPrinter, so I was happy it worked at all...

Mostly, though, I'm not cut out to be a computer support person. I just don't have the patience to put up with walking others through what I consider "trivial" issues. (Not saying that's good, just that it's a fact of life right now!) I'm now to the point where I can honestly say "I don't do Windows, you'll have to ask someone else". If I get them switched over to Linux I'll become their first call again! :rolleyes:

mostwanted
December 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
I don't try to convert people for two reasons:

If they're not conditioned to the ideas of open source and the ongoing battle against proprietary measures, they'll fall back as soon as they can't play some random video on some website, because it "only works in Internet Explorer 5+ using Windows Media Player 9+". Conclusion: A certain degree of political activism is required of the converted.

I'd hate to become their personal computer wizard who has to fix every little thing on their computer. Conclusion: I hate being a free 24/7 help desk

But I do help people who voluntarily defect to Ubuntu. This is because these people use Ubuntu for a specific reason, not because I pushed them into using it. This way I can help them but also expect a great deal of work and self-conditioning on their part.

After having written this, I regret I didn't pick the last option instead of the second last.

Johnsie
December 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
Operating systems shouldnt be about politics, they should be about providing an interface between hardware and applications/users in the best possible way. That's their purpse.

I show people the cool effects but I would never try and force an operating system on anyone. I'm not Microsoft ;-)

Tipo
December 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Eh, when the opportunity arises, I'll try and convert.

The latest was a friend telling me that they needed a web server to test some web design with, and needed a Linux distro...

So I handed him an ubuntu CD and said here, I'll save you the download

Peepsalot
December 3rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Well, I ordered a pack of 5 Dapper Cds, and I've given out two so far. One to each of my sisters, who are always calling me when Windows breaks. Gave it to them over thanksgiving, but didn't have time to show it to them, so I don't know if they've tried it yet.

One friend of mine asked me about Linux and suggested Ubuntu to him. He set up a dual boot on his laptop.

I also suggested Ubuntu to another friend of mine who was already into Linux, and he installed it on his secondary desktop. Although, I think he moved on to try some other distro now. I think last I heard he was setting up slackware, trying to learn more about Linux.

That's about it. I've been considering showing it to my Mom, but I don't really know if it's for her. Is there any software for Linux that comes close to the quality of Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition?

argie
December 3rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
I just wait till they gripe about something and then mention how that problem isn't there. Gets me cheap thrills. Generally I "let them find out about Linux on their own" by "accidentally" placing tux-artwork on some papers in my car. Then I mention how I use Linux, then when Windows bums out on them, I'm there to help :)

Most of my friends are the typical Windows users though, they have hundreds upon hundreds of shareware programs and they refuse to let go of them, and then the rest are USB modem users. So yeah, I help when I can, apart from that, it's upto them.

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Thumbs up for you, buddy!

This is how it's done! Great stuff! I like your "geek bag".

Thank you sir! It's an Eddie Bauer large lumbar bag. Basically, and overgrown fanny pak with shoulder straps and a large waist belt. :)

JurB
December 3rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Yes, but i am selective...
I only advise ubuntu to people with a healthy interest in computers AND people who barely know how to close a window.
The first group doesn't mind if they have learn the way linux works, if they have problems or ask my help i direct them to the forums or show them how it's done.
I have had the best results with the second group: most of them have used a computer a few times, with windows offcourse, but they are not rusted in there computer habbits. They mostly find their way much easier in Ubuntu. Offcourse i first ask what they would like to do with their computer, and install Ubuntu with all the neccesary programs and tweaks.
I AVOID windows powerusers: they have "issues" with linux from the moment they have to partition their drives 'till they reinstall windows.](*,)

aysiu
December 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
One thing I've learned from being a Christian is that active evangelism often backfires. People don't convert because you try to convert them.

They get interested if they see a difference in your life and if they have an open mind. Same for Ubuntu. I've tried pushing Linux (Mepis, specifically) on someone who wasn't psychologically ready for it, and now I think she's going to be a Windows user for life.

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
One thing I've learned from being a Christian is that active evangelism often backfires. People don't convert because you try to convert them.

They get interested if they see a difference in your life and if they have an open mind. Same for Ubuntu. I've tried pushing Linux (Mepis, specifically) on someone who wasn't psychologically ready for it, and now I think she's going to be a Windows user for life.

Of course, I don't want to start a religious topic, let alone flame war, but I disagree with that statement. One thing that I have learned from being LDS, and serving a successful 2-year full time mission for my church, is that unless you open your mouth, the answer is already "no". Rather than try to persuade someone to join my church, or be an Ubuntu user, I am actively seeking out those who are ready to accept it. You get further that way.

iPower
December 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
i give away ubuntu live cds to all the windows users i know that hate windows but use it anyway ^_^

JAPrufrock
December 4th, 2006, 04:42 AM
So far only one person has shown enough interest in Linux/Ubuntu to make me want to help him set up a dual boot, which I intend to do soon. I also think that you have to hate windows a bit to get that little bit extra motivation needed to immerse yourself in Ubuntu (yes, it is a total immersion). Another small thing that I've done is to advertise Ubuntu in my email signature:
Driven by Linux Ubuntu 6.06

djsroknrol
December 4th, 2006, 05:19 AM
My wife has moved to Ubuntu full time and my son in Las Vegas asked me to put it on his computer when I go to visit him next time...

BWF89
December 4th, 2006, 05:46 AM
If I knew someone that was computer literate enough and wasn't afraid to read documentation and learn new things I'd tell him about a few of the main desktop distros.

I wouldn't go up to some regular person and recommend they use Linux though because I don't want to hear "BWF why isn't this working, this isn't like in Windows" everytime something went wrong.

drphilngood
December 4th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I had some friends over today to watch the games and two of them wanted to try Ubuntu and took CDs home with them. Needless to say, I feel really good right now.

3rdalbum
December 4th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I show off Ubuntu every chance I get. I gave a friend of mine a demonstration (the usual stuff - Compiz, Beagle, software installation etc), and then when she went back to her home city I gave her a CD. I don't think she's used it yet though.

I gave a copy of SimplyMEPIS to one of my mates, but he hasn't used it since my demonstration (that was a risky demonstration - on his laptop, but everything worked correctly).

I also advocated Ubuntu to an internet friend in India and someone who called me for computer help. The friend in India is partway through the ISO download, and the customer hasn't called me about it.

Still: I've got 5 new Dapper CDs that I got through ShipIt, and a friend from England who's got a good general knowledge of computers and computing is visiting. I reckon he's the perfect candidate for a dual-boot.

Erik Trybom
December 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I just try to raise awareness by mentioning that I don't run Windows every time we speak about computers. I don't have the time to convert people, but if they know about Linux then perhaps one day they'll seek it out themselves.

Knowing is the first step. Before you can climb a mountain, you have to know that the mountain exists.

xopher
December 4th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Knowing is the first step. Before you can climb a mountain, you have to know that the mountain exists.

That's the first step allright ;)

1. Awareness: The consumer becomes aware of the innovation but lacks information about it.
2. Interest: The consumer is stimulated to seek information about the innovation.
3. Evaluation: The consumer considers whether to try the innovation.
4. Trial: The consumer tries the innovation to improve his or her estimate of its value.
5. Adoption: The consumer decides to make full and regular use of the innovation.

I do promote Linux in general to pretty much everyone I discuss computers with. And I've already converted quite a few people too ;) *feels good about himself*

an.echte.trilingue
December 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM
You are missing an important option:

No, got discouraged and gave up after I discovered that nobody cares.

It is sad, really, nobody I know cares, the just use whatever came on their computer without thinking about ramifications of Free vs proprietary software. I am not talking about people who thought about it and choose windows/mac, I never ran into one of those, either. People just don't give a damn.

zetetic
December 4th, 2006, 03:32 PM
The zealot/evangelist/prophet approach is a big mistake.
We shouldn't push people to Ubuntu (or Linux in general).

You should only give some information to people, telling them about the existence of Linux, and about the ethics, philosophy and polithics behind Linux.

We need to refrain ourselfs from trying to convert people. I personally don't care about what OS someone choses. If the opportunity arises, of course I give information to people, but I never try to convince them.

Bringing to Linux people not ready for understanding and agreeing with the moral and polithics behind Linux will only hurt Linux and be counter-producent in the long term.

I also think the worst thing about Ubuntu is this evangelistic approach. Too many people willing to sacrifice anything (even the core set of free software values) in order ot bring more people to this distro.

zetetic

saadakhtar
December 4th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Hi i am new to this forum but have been working on ubuntu for a while now. I have setup ubuntu server at my office since i am trying to promote ubuntu at a enterprise level. So far it has been running exactly the way i want it to. Recently i ordered some free ubuntu cd's and now i am thinking of giving away 1 free cd to each of our customers just to get them to step into the world of linux. Furthermore any people having questions about installation or problems will be directed to this forum because i think this forum ROCKS.

So do you guys think that giving away free ubuntu copies is a good idea of promotion?

atoponce
December 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Hi i am new to this forum but have been working on ubuntu for a while now. I have setup ubuntu server at my office since i am trying to promote ubuntu at a enterprise level. So far it has been running exactly the way i want it to. Recently i ordered some free ubuntu cd's and now i am thinking of giving away 1 free cd to each of our customers just to get them to step into the world of linux. Furthermore any people having questions about installation or problems will be directed to this forum because i think this forum ROCKS.

So do you guys think that giving away free ubuntu copies is a good idea of promotion?

Of course! That's exactly what ShipIt is for.

carontis
December 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM
From the day I started to use Ubuntu, I started also to promote it to many peoples. I use firstly the live CD 'cause is possible to show the new OS without installing it. After few days I know they will ask me to change from windows to Ubuntu, expecially for all those rubbishes are around in the net and always their target is windows...

earobinson
December 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I try to promote ubuntu but only to the right people (people that are willing to put in the time to learn)

BLTicklemonster
December 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'm doing everything I can, but haven't gotten anyone here local to convert at all!!!

But I'm still trying.

:)

jbtito03
December 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Well... i promote it NON STOP - but not only ubuntu. I am telling people about GNU/Linux and the whole concept of what is behind that.

People fell that this is right and get pretty romantic about what is happening. As in our media not a lot about this is being written (but when they deploy vista it is all over the media grrrrrrrrrr.) they actually do not know what this is all about.

The most common peception about free software is that it is "free as free beer".

Cheers...

JB

Sefrin
December 4th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Only to family/friends who would (in my opinion) benefit from it.

kuja
December 4th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I've spread it to a handful of people, but others can be pretty hard to convince. I've only had one convert that dropped windows altogether ... another who uses Linux only on occasion. I'm thinking the one friend I converted might have better luck at spreading it than me though ... he gets out more.

dca
December 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Hmmm, outside of work (at work and for work I use Linux quite a bit), all the systems I build for family, friends, friends of family are generally Linux. Ubuntu 6.06LTS to be exact. My wife's PC, parents, in-laws, nieces, nephews, etc... It's that much easier when building from spare parts to just throw a Linux disto on it and hope for the best versus dumping money down the toilet for an M$ license key... The nice thing (KDE is too much for some systems) is that you can play around w/ GNOME to look a little like Windows by removing the top menu bar and enlarging the lower menu bar... Making it transparent is kind of cool if you add the right icon(s) to it...

tribaal
December 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Just want to add that I agree: forcing change on people almost always fails.
I had the opportunity to convert people because every person in my class is an IT professional/enthusiast (evening engineering school), so basically by just sitting on the first row and playing around with Beryl's cube a little, people would eventually come up to me asking how I got the cool graphics running...

Then you tell them about the philosophy behind it, and how stable it is (that's what I found worked best - in my class).
Then you hand them a liveCD.
Then you win ;)

- trib'

omns
December 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM

sha_man
December 7th, 2006, 12:45 AM
the best way to convince people to ubuntu is a very easy way:
1. not wanting to force them
2. showing them it's easy (and most things are better:) )
3. Show them 3D desktop like aiglx/xgl/compiz/beryl... ! (that did the job for me, altough i never "tried" to convince people...)

Xzallion
December 7th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I just let people play with my computer, and they decide they like it. Only the gamers shy away from linux. In fact my best friend refused and refused until his Hard drive died, he was running Windows 98, had no install disk, no drivers, and needed it up and running asap. One spare hard drive and about 3 hours later I had him running the newest openoffice in Ubuntu. He now says he likes it, just misses a few windows programs. All in all I have managed to expose about 15 people to linux, and get at least two to adopt it and use it extensibly. The others went back to windows for games, but say that they would like Linux as a work system.

Johnsie
December 7th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I tell people about it and show it to people but I dont try to and pressure people into trying it. People simply don't like being told what to do.... If you keep banging on about Linux they will think you are some kind of control freak telling them what software to use.

po0f
December 7th, 2006, 03:40 AM
If by "promote" you mean "force to use" then yes, I "promoted" Ubuntu to my sister. With all the proper codecs installed, she really doesn't see a difference. Now if I could only "promote" Ubuntu to my parents...

deepwave
December 7th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I promote Ubuntu only to those, who are fully ready and willing to make the plunge into Linux. Mostly these people are from computer science, IT or simply very, very pissed at MS. And only those who know and have used the same applications under Windows.

Everyone else, I promote to try out open source software like OpenOffice, Dia, Scribus, Firefox, Thunderbird, Abiword, etc. Telling them about the opencd project is a good start.

I believe the transistion should be so smooth, that it is almost unnoticeable. And familiarity with the common desktop tools goes a long way in that regard.

My own transistion took about 3 years, and start about 6 years ago.

dbbolton
December 7th, 2006, 05:13 AM
I don't try to convert people for two reasons:

If they're not conditioned to the ideas of open source and the ongoing battle against proprietary measures, they'll fall back as soon as they can't play some random video on some website, because it "only works in Internet Explorer 5+ using Windows Media Player 9+". Conclusion: A certain degree of political activism is required of the converted.

I'd hate to become their personal computer wizard who has to fix every little thing on their computer. Conclusion: I hate being a free 24/7 help desk

But I do help people who voluntarily defect to Ubuntu. This is because these people use Ubuntu for a specific reason, not because I pushed them into using it. This way I can help them but also expect a great deal of work and self-conditioning on their part.

After having written this, I regret I didn't pick the last option instead of the second last.
i am my windhoes-using friends' personal "get-rid-of-this-spyware-and-show-me-how-to-do-this-and-that" guy

i think if they were using ubuntu, my job would be easier, if not altogether somewhat more enjoyable.

DougieFresh4U
December 7th, 2006, 06:22 AM
I have got 2 Family members going on Ubuntu and I just received 3rd batch of CD's and took some over to local Library branch and gave out to some of the younger workers there. They thought that was "Pretty Cool" of me!

Sef
December 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I do talk to others about Ubuntu and some are interested. One person I know of has put it on one machine as a dual boot.

araz
December 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I promote it to everyone i know. Now i am trying to install and teach Ubuntu to fireman association.

mdsmedia
December 7th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I didn't vote because the one YES option is very PRO-Ubuntu and disregards Linux in general.

I do promote Linux, and if asked I'll tell people about Ubuntu, which is the distribution I love and use.

I had 2 conversations last weekend where I said "I don't use Windows, I use Linux".

The first led to the other party telling me I was crazy...which astonished me...obviously she knew a lot about Linux...NOT....to which I responded "well I think you're crazy using Windows". Her partner is in IT (apparently) and has some "experience" with Linux. I wonder what and when.

The other has worked in audio visual....of some sort...and is also a bit of a know all. Her arguments seemed to be all based on experiences of others some years ago. Considering the age of XP I suppose you can't really blame her. But she said "we'll continue this conversation later" having been educated a little, I think, and having to go catch a plane.

Hex_Mandos
December 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I'm active in politics. My decision to install Ubuntu was because I plan on proposing an ordinance to make my city migrate to Free Software, and it would've been hypocritical to continue using Windows at home. I'll probably still use Windows for gaming, though.

I have 15 CDs, and I already asked for more. I'm going to give them out around councilors, and possibly inside my own party (interestingly, even though our legislators have proposed Free Software initiatives, our offices run on Windows).

gabhla
December 7th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Nope...not interested. Converting people isn't my thing, and I would not like to be the victim of somebody's idea to convert me.

mtn
January 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
just wondering if there is anything smiler to "spread firefox" http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates/homepage providing buttons and banners to promote ubuntu. they also suggest promoting using your email signature!

if there isn't (i can't find anything like this) is there any particular reason why not?

rai4shu2
January 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM
[x] Yes, but I am promoting by example, not by being a raving lunatic.

JAPrufrock
January 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I've stopped promoting Linux to others (no one I know has ever heard of Ubuntu!) because all I get are strange stares (like I'm crazy), and subtle hints that I should change the topic. The only time I get any interest is from rabid Windows-haters. Unfortunately there aren't enough of them.

Hex_Mandos
January 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Yesterday I gave a Dapper CD to the guy who installed my ADSL. I was lucky that he had some Linux knowledge, my Windows partition gave me a BSOD whenever I tried to boot it.

Sefrin
January 14th, 2007, 05:20 PM
just wondering if there is anything smiler to "spread firefox" http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates/homepage providing buttons and banners to promote ubuntu. they also suggest promoting using your email signature!

I have not seen it but I think that would be a great idea.

Johnsie
January 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I recently bought http://LinuxPublicity.com and plan to turn it into a site with links, news and information to help people promote Linux in general (all flavours). I'm still at the design phase, trying to work out how it's going to be laid out and how the data will be organised. People who are promoting Linux will be linked to from this site.

euler_fan
January 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I'm not really doing "everything I can" but I do promote it. I'm a bit more careful about what I say to who, though. I had been suggesting it as a pretty much blanket Windows replacement "with conditions" - obviously their hardware would have to support it. But I *finally* got my parents to try it... Ouch...

The system works fine, and their peripherals even work *okay*. But they just weren't too happy with a few things. Their primary complaint was the printer wouldn't print in as high of a quality mode as it did in Windows. It was very nearly a WinPrinter, so I was happy it worked at all...

Mostly, though, I'm not cut out to be a computer support person. I just don't have the patience to put up with walking others through what I consider "trivial" issues. (Not saying that's good, just that it's a fact of life right now!) I'm now to the point where I can honestly say "I don't do Windows, you'll have to ask someone else". If I get them switched over to Linux I'll become their first call again! :rolleyes:

I'm the same way, but would never try to convert my parents. My dad was in the IT industry using windows for everything and while he doesn't object to Linux he doesn't really see it as something worth the time and my mother would never want to put in the work (she is finally comfortable with the few things she can do on the computer).

I did convert two friends since switching. Both hear I switched over, asked a few question, sounded interested, were offered live CD's, fell in love (I mean, no joke, IN LOVE with the OS), and switched within a week of seeing it. One switched the same day he got the live CD. Yes, they both dual boot, but I know they both use Ubuntu as their primary OS and windows just for games and the occasional app that they need but isn't compatable.

tribaal
January 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM
There's always http://www.getgnulinux.org/
It's pretty neat I think.

- trib'

Johnsie
January 14th, 2007, 05:54 PM
The problem is that if you push people too hard you will start to look like a LinuxBot or a Linux Nazi. That works to convert some people but can turn some people off because they think you are a control freak telling people what software to use. Sometimes I feel that the big companies like Canonical, Red Hat and Novell should take more responsibility for advertising and pay for a few TV ads and publicity stunts. Right now we are doing a lot of work for them for free. I guess it all about how you go about telling/showing people.

Thanks for the http://www.getgnulinux.org/ link. I think I'll link to that from my site.

mtn
January 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I have not seen it but I think that would be a great idea.

i added an ubuntu logo and link to my brothers business web site that i did for him, figured i had used ubuntu and all open source software to develop it and as i don't pay money for the benefit would be fitting to acknowledge them.

this is a bit of a strange idea but how about a linux calender, could have expected release date of all the distributions and expo dates etc as well as a different distro for each month. or even a different linux developer naked for each month:p just hope there are 12 foxy female linux developers out there.;) i reckon the key is to promote the idea that if you use linux, "you get more..." if someone started selling linux deodorant and promoted it right windows would be dead within a month. so anyway, what about a calender idea!

teaker1s
January 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM
yes but only when people get to the point that the windows has seriously annoyed them, prior to this they are not interested. I've converted two people and it's because it's stable and a third on the way. The biggest problem is unless people can use it,the fear it and also basic install and config are vital if a non technical person is to try it:mrgreen:

Eddie Wilson
January 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Good Day,
Well I have installed linux on other peoples computers. Mostly for internet work. I've have been asked by several other perple to install linux on their computers but I kinda changed the subject. The reason being that I do not think that some people can handle linux. These people can't even handle windows. I am going to set up some dual boots for them so they can see what its all about. Maybe that will help ease them into it. Its going to be a busy year.
Eddie

BWF89
January 15th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I don't want to promote Linux because I don't think it's ready for the desktop yet. Mabye in a couple years.

teaker1s
January 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM
set up repositories and show them synaptic or gnome add and remove = good to go as long as you have a router,these win modems are not new user friendly

rabid9797
January 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I try to promote ubuntu but only to the right people (people that are willing to put in the time to learn)

exactly what i try to do, i don't try to force it on people...

Related News: if anyone has been watched the feisty fawn development board you would have noticed that a beta windows installer is in the works. basically the way it will is that you will be able to install ubuntu while in windows, it creates an ext3 image file(on your windows partition) just like any other file, creates a chainloader boot option in the windows boot-up screen so you can boot into linux straight from there, and doesn't use an vmware so the speed would be as if you had a ext3 partition.

i can't tell you how excited this makes me, it'll mean that all those "power users" from windows who have taken an interest in linux but are too intimidated by the idea of booting through BIOS or partitioning a drive will have a chance to really try it out without any risk of affecting their windows partition or the like.

its really going to open up the amount of people who would be willing to try linux. as soon as its stable(when feisty has its final release most likley) im going to try to introduce a couple of friends of mine 8)

Peepsalot
January 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM
exactly what i try to do, i don't try to force it on people...

Related News: if anyone has been watched the feisty fawn development board you would have noticed that a beta windows installer is in the works. basically the way it will is that you will be able to install ubuntu while in windows, it creates an ext3 image file(on your windows partition) just like any other file, creates a chainloader boot option in the windows boot-up screen so you can boot into linux straight from there, and doesn't use an vmware so the speed would be as if you had a ext3 partition.

i can't tell you how excited this makes me, it'll mean that all those "power users" from windows who have taken an interest in linux but are too intimidated by the idea of booting through BIOS or partitioning a drive will have a chance to really try it out without any risk of affecting their windows partition or the like.

its really going to open up the amount of people who would be willing to try linux. as soon as its stable(when feisty has its final release most likley) im going to try to introduce a couple of friends of mine 8)
Sounds pretty cool, but one downside to it is I would suspect it is a bit slower this way. Having a virtual filesystem on top of another can't be good for efficiency. It might give linux critics ill founded reason to call linux slow.

There's always http://www.getgnulinux.org/
It's pretty neat I think.

- trib'
slightly OT, but for some reason that link domain reminded me of these images:
http://gnuart.onshore.com/uncle_gnu_i_want.html
It would be funny to see those posters around, although probably the only people that would "get it" already use Linux.

golem3
January 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I love Ubuntu so much, I promote it anytime I can.

It's just so hard to do so, since I am the techiest person I know. None of my friends are willing to take the step, and for them (many of them gamers) Windows is essential. I don't game...since programming, tweaks, and command line are more important to me.

For me, it took me a week to get down all the basic BASH commands. It would take a century for either of my parents to do just the basics, just a bit less for the other people I know!! (A century is time well spent on open-source)

kevinf311
January 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I picked the "Yes" option, though I don't think I'm quite that extreme with it.

My roommate got me into Linux, I got him into Ubuntu. We both got our server running Ubuntu. I recommend it to my friends who are faced with a clean install (either XP crashed or it's a fresh built computer). I try not to claim that Linux is better than Windows, I say it's "different."

My one roommate, who has had as many windows related problems as I have had if not more, is building a beast of a desktop. I asked what he was putting on it, he said "Vista Ultimate Edition." :-? I reminded him how sharp a nosedive my computer problems took. He claimed that he though Vista was going to blow any other operating system out of the water. :-k I then checked his room for drugs. I didn't push the FOSS thing anymore, he's not one to respond to pressure. I'll just be there with the Live CD when he gets fed up with DRM and the malicious hardware support disabling code 8)

When I move back home this summer, I will run a full-court-press on my mom to adopt Linux (she's fairly non-computer, pretends they don't exist). My dad however will never switch, we constantly debate the pros/cons of FOSS and proprietary, he's unmovable.

Jenda
January 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
You guys might be interested in SpreadUbuntu (now nearly defunct) and DIY Marketing (now almotst finished :)).
See:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/DIYWebsite
http://diy.devubuntu.com

Pobega
January 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM
http://girafarig.digital-haze.net/miniwiki

I'm using that to try and convert as many people as I can, edit it if you think of anything more to add!

kazuya
January 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I promote Linux in general to others. Not just Ubuntu. I have setup Ubuntu, Mepis, Xandros, and Zenwalk on new users machines. I also inform them of their options with other good distros like pclinuxos, vectorlinux, sabayon, etc.

For most newbs, since I am more proficient in educating and completely setting up Ubuntu for them, I tend to direct them towards Ubuntu.

However, rather than force the OS on their primary machine. I occassionally would find an older PC or laptop in their household, back up datas and set that up with linux, customize to their needs, and soon enough, they forget the newer XP machine and fall unto the linux PC more and more as it is more stable and unchanging for them.

Power IT users of XP are fascinated, but use it as a hobbyist thing. Folks into PC gaming, do not care for the change sometimes. When they do, they tend to steer towards OSX sometimes.

People use what works for them.