PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu your main OS?

noneofthem
December 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
If not, mention which one and why not Ubuntu...

_simon_
December 3rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
It's my ONLY OS and has been for over a year. :)

smoker
December 3rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
got rid of windows when i upgraded harddrives, found no need for windows since then :-)

bonzodog
December 3rd, 2006, 02:00 PM
No, because I now use Zenwalk Linux as my only OS on my home system.

I like the community in here though, and help where I can :D

tribaal
December 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
I still keep a windows partition on one of my 3 machines for gaming, and my laptop has a vmware windows image for school (stupid Visual basic courses... I already can do pretty much anything with VB so I'm bored, and on top of that it soils my machine with windows presence... grrrr!).

Otherwise, it's Ubuntu everywhere! Used to be Debian on one machine, but the HDD crashed so I installed ubuntu on the new one.

the wintendo partition is hardly ever booted, however.

- trib'

popacsek
December 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
No, I just gave it a try. I'm going to choose a distro that has gcc-3.4, because I found that gcc-4.1.1 produces significantly slower code. Possible candidates are Zenwalk, or FreeBSD. I'm still hesitating.

madmetal
December 3rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
yes! i still got a windows partition but its dusted :P

greggh
December 3rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Ubuntu is my main OS right now, but I'm switching over to CentOS. I need to get familiar with the Red Hat feel and way to get ready to admin a dedicated CentOS server that I'm getting soon.

argie
December 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Yes, sir, it is.

zgornel
December 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
yeah.

DC@DR
December 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Yes, it IS now :-)

23meg
December 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
It's been my main OS since Hoary.

JAPrufrock
December 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Yes, Ubuntu is my main OS. I use it about 95% of the time, even though I don't have a printer yet that works with Ubuntu!. Once I resurrect an old HP laserjet, I'll be pure 100% Ubuntu.

noneofthem
December 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Well. I opened this thread. So my OS might be clear to everyone here. Anyway...

I have been using Ubuntu for about 1 1/2 years now and I got rid of M$ Windows after about 2 months of dual-booting. I just realized that I didn't boot into Windows anymore anyway.

I never missed anything from the Microsoft-world. In fact aeverytime I have to touch a Windows system I miss things that are so common for all of us GNU/Linux users.

I have tried Windows Vista on a separate machine, but it sucked hard. It made me laugh though as it has got many features now that we take for granted for a long time. I wouldn't say M$ stole from GNU/Linux, but one might say that they copied stuff like crazy...

Microsoft - If you cannot innovate, immitate!

Have a good one!

Amir

ditsch
December 3rd, 2006, 02:57 PM
Of course it is my main OS! I still have a Windows install on a separate harddrive, but it is rarely used.

Vorian
December 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Since Hoary!

matthew
December 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Yes, since hoary. This is true both at work and at home, on two desktops and two laptops.

HoMe_CaNiBaL
December 3rd, 2006, 03:13 PM
it is now...

for games i have ps2...

ubuntu dapper drake

i'm on ubuntu at.... a month

d3v1ant_0n3
December 3rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
It's my main OS- the kids' computer has Windows XP Pro- they use it for games and apparently malware collection.

Sslaxx
December 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
My sole OS on my PC, and quite content with that too.

AusIV4
December 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
I've been an Ubuntu user since just after Breezy was released, and after yesterday I can say that Ubuntu is the only operating system I run on my machines. I still have a Windows partition on my laptop just in case, but once I go a few months without booting to it, it will probably go away.

Malta paul
December 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Yes Edgy is may main OS - Of course :D

squrl
December 3rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
No because I don't know enough to be able to do what I need to do with it. Maybe someday.:mrgreen:

noneofthem
December 3rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Well. What do you need to know then? Ask some questions! We are happy to assist you so you can enjoy the whole thing one day... :-)

RandomJoe
December 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM
Yes, has been for about six months or so. My desktop, "projector PC" (MPlayer, yeah!) and "experimenters" (that get wiped or reconfigured regularly) are all currently on 6.06. It even pushed OS X off the Mac Mini!

Before that, it was Slackware all the way. I still prefer Slack for what I consider more "hard core" things - my servers, firewall, so forth still run it. But I got really tired of having to find a dozen different subpackages to run some new GUI app. Synaptic is nice! :cool:

Haven't had Windows on any of my own computers in over 10 years now... Wouldn't even have it in the house, if it weren't for the work laptop! [-(

noneofthem
December 3rd, 2006, 03:53 PM
10 years without windows!!! I am jealous! Great job then! Keep up the good "work"! ;-)

addicted68098
December 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
No, because I still need to get a new computer to put ubuntu on since I will need Windows for testing.

Rodneyck
December 3rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
I rarely go onto my second hard drive which has Windows XP and will be happy when I can completely wipe it clean, thus exterminating MS for good. Unfortunately I play one game, Neverwinter Nights 2, and have a couple of books I created in Indesign that I have not figured out how to successful port to Scribus in Linux. Redoing them all and copying text over would take forever, so I have to go visit the books on the dark side. ](*,)

mushroom
December 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
Yes, since Breezy; though I do keep a Mac mini around for Renoise (http://renoise.com). They're open to Linux devs, so if anyone wants to step up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Handssolow
December 3rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
3 PCs in the family, son's XP home, wife's dual boot Ubuntu/XP pro and my Ubuntu only PC. I'm not going to buy vista but I'll have to pay soon for another years McAfee cover for the two XP OSs then next year for only one I hope.

I'm willing to put the investment into using and learning about Ubuntu knowing also that its going to get better and better with time.

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
Yes. Ubuntu is my ONLY operating system. My wife has Windows XP and Mac OS X, but I don't use them. I do, however, have to use Windows at work, but I was also given a second computer, at which I can run Ubuntu. I use Synergy between the two. But at home, as mentioned, Ubuntu is my ONLY operating system. I have no need for anything else.

chaosgeisterchen
December 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM
No, it ain't. At the moment I am not using Ubuntu as it let my computer hardlock so often that I have no fun using it any longer.

I therefore went on search for alternatives and see myself ending up trying Arch.

Koori23
December 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Yes, Dapper is my only OS. This was not the way I planned it though.. My old HD crashed and I couldn't find my Comcast CD, went to Borders, picked up Ubuntu Breezy, it grabbed my network settings on inital setup.. XP didn't... So, I started using Ubuntu.. I stumbled, I fumbled, I re-installed a few times.. But still, I got it.. and I'm happier for it.

Rodneyck
December 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
3 PCs in the family, son's XP home, wife's dual boot Ubuntu/XP pro and my Ubuntu only PC. I'm not going to buy vista but I'll have to pay soon for another years McAfee cover for the two XP OSs then next year for only one I hope.

I'm willing to put the investment into using and learning about Ubuntu knowing also that its going to get better and better with time.

Don't buy McAfee subscriptions. McAfee was nothing but bloat and constant pop messages reminding to either pay them more money or spaming you.

I used for years Avast Home, it's free, and it does not slow your system resources down. It updates itself in the background so basically pain free. It was the best find on the dark side (Microsoft). www.avast.com

noneofthem
December 3rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
You may also consiger AVG Antivirus. Just search for it on www.download.com (http://www.download.com)

There is a free version that will serve you well. Never had any problems and it even warned me when I was going to download a virus on Kazaa in the old days. Also it keeps updating itself, so you don't have to worry about a thing.

Still you should keep trying to get your family to use GNU/Linux instead. ;-)

hoagie
December 3rd, 2006, 05:23 PM
Yes it is since dapper. But I still have windows for school purposes, I need the damn MS Office...

AndyCooll
December 3rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Yes it is.

This house has been virtually ******* free for the last year. Just have an XP VMware image which I need to play Football Manager 2007 since it hasn't been ported to Linux and I've never been able to get it to work under Wine. Apart from that, no ******* in this house. I've even converted the missus laptop to Ubuntu.

:cool:

Mathiasdm
December 3rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
It's not my main OS, because I still have some hardware problems (including wireless internet).

I intend to have this solved. I've given myself the deadline of using Linux (Ubuntu has my preference right now) as main OS by October '07.

JurB
December 3rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
I use Ubuntu since Hoary, it's my main os since Breezy, it's my ONLY os since Dapper.8)

dbbolton
December 3rd, 2006, 08:12 PM
word

Christmas
December 3rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Ubuntu is my main and only OS since I've registered on this forums, and that is 9 months. It's also the home for my web server.

Peyton
December 3rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Until I muster the energy required to re-install Windows, yes.

mcglnx
December 3rd, 2006, 08:41 PM
If not, mention which one and why not Ubuntu...

Yes! Was using Debian testing, and found out Ubuntu not that bad.
But still difficult to find correct information on the forums (some info is even duplicated!).

ragnar_123
December 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
yes it is!!

And it has been since breezy.

bigken
December 3rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Yes and has being for over a year now on 2 work stations and 1 laptop
but cant convert the missus ](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,) (not even duel boot) bloody woman

shining
December 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
No, it ain't. At the moment I am not using Ubuntu as it let my computer hardlock so often that I have no fun using it any longer.

I therefore went on search for alternatives and see myself ending up trying Arch.

Do you like it? It's one of my favorite linux distribs, with Debian.

xopher
December 3rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Is and has been my main OS since Hoary, when my HDD with my Debian installation broke down, and I had this Ubuntu CD handy.

Haven't looked back since ;)

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
No, because I now use Zenwalk Linux as my only OS on my home system.

I like the community in here though, and help where I can :D

Bonzodog: I have to ask, but why the switch?

xpod
December 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Only had pc`s since March....used windows for a few months and thanks to the joys of that few months i found my way here about July.
Got rid of Xp from this pc after about a month of dualbooting and it now runs Dapper & Edgy on its separate drives with another machine the kids use running the 3 Ubu desktops between its 2 drives.

Windows lurks still on yet another pc somewhere but it`s been so long now i`ve forgot where exactly:D

Unfortunately everybody i know with pc`s though has windows and not one of them know even the most basic of everyday procedures for keeping it running
properly so i am now being cursed with the inevitable phone calls from them frustrated XP sufferers on a weekly basis....

Theres just no getting away from the thing it seems](*,)

nandasunu
December 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately I had to switch to from ubuntu as it didn't support a lot of my stuff, even though it apparently can. My microsoft mouse and HP printer, both reportedly work with ubuntu and others have them working with it, but for me they don't work.. plus my usb headset didn't work either, so no skype. So I switched to Mandriva 2007 as everything seems to work with it, plus u get compiz installed in a second, wireless works much more painlessly with a wizard for ndiswrapper and the software for connecting to networks works much better IMO.

I'jj be looking to come back to ubuntu as soon as my stuff works with it as it is more stable, has better community support, uses apt-get (urpmi sucks...), seems to have a much better moral conscience and actually seems to want to give the best experience to the user and not just make money, unlike Mandriva...

I'll be back..

Klaidas
December 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
No, because I mostly use Windows.

Rodneyck
December 3rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
No, because I mostly use Windows.

Oh how sad. I am sorry to hear about that. :confused:

iPower
December 3rd, 2006, 10:06 PM
never installed windows on any of my pcs

LLRNR
December 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Yes, Ubuntu IS my only OS ! :D

I ditched XP after a month of dual booting.

(Okay, okay, I have XP installed in VMware Server, my job requires Macromedia Flash 8 and it has some glitches is Wine, that's why !! *waiting-to-be-tortured*)

LLRNR

marcus2004
December 3rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
I started in June with Ubuntu and just love it. I have computers in this order:

Main = Ubuntu Edgy
Laptop = Dapper
Downloading computer for movies = Dapper
HTPC = Winxp as I run Beyondtv but am seriously thinking of changing to mythtv just too lazy at the moment and it does what I need
Computer for girlfriend = WinXP as she feels more comfortable with it *sigh*
Nslu2 NAS running Uslung (form of linux) see http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

:)

daz4126
December 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
I've been dual booting for about a year now and haven't used Windows for months, so thinking of freeing up some hard drive space.

DAZ

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
I've been dual booting for about a year now and haven't used Windows for months, so thinking of freeing up some hard drive space.

DAZ

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! =D> =D> =D> =D>

OttifantSir
December 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
What is main OS? I know what the intended meaning of the phrase is, but to me it's a bit confusing. I use seven year old laptop with Ubuntu 6.10 to do almost everything I want to do (music, writing, web), but I also have an old server with XP Pro that holds near 150 GB of movies, and it runs constantly (not taking into consideration its crashes) Which is then my main OS? I will be upgrading to Linux on that machine in a while also, but at this point? I don't know what would be correct.
Why do I still have XP Pro on that server? I've been too lazy to backup everything on it to DVDs, and when I tried the Live CD of 6.06, I got an error message I don't understand (Something about a timer not connected. Will make a separate thread to find out what that means)
At this point, I would have liked to see another option: Will you change main OS soon?

darkmane
December 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Yep, been using Dapper for around three months now. Had previously used Fedora Core 5 for a few months, but find Dapper more preferable. It just works, when and how I want it too.

Thus leaving me plenty of time to play around with Linux properly.

Had been using some flavour of Windows since the days of 3.11 (even tried Win 2.x). I've been playing around with Linux on and off (mostly dual-booting) for the last six years. Benn very happy since I made a proper switch to Linux 100%.

Well, at home at least.

Still using XP at work, as I need access to Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Office, etc. This is unlikely to change, as part of the job requires me to provide support to our customers, who to a man (woman, child and dog) use Windows.

arkangel
December 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Yeap it is my only OS , very happy with that :)

Ubunted
December 15th, 2006, 03:07 PM
On my laptop, absolutely. It had Windows for about three hours after I got it, and has been 100% Ubuntu since then, and has been working excellently with it.

But my main rig is still WinXP x64, and my second partition is NTFS.

Why? Because

1: I paid good money for it.
2: Games, games, games.
3: It works for what I use it for.
3: It has been EXTREMELY solid and reliable.

In fact, this PC is far and away the best and most reliable computer I have ever used. Not just owned, but used. I have not had one single bit of malware, and not one crash that was not attributed to unstable games (Empire at War, ST: Legacy) or an outdated BIOS.

I keep everything up-to-date (minus the DRM packages from Windows Update), use a router, Avast! Antivirus (which has never found anything) and CCleaner to keep everything protected and running smoothly.

Ben Sprinkle
December 15th, 2006, 03:09 PM
No, I use Debian Etch for my main.

macogw
December 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Yeah, it's all I use, but in the interest of learning more, I'm going to try out Gentoo and FC6 and FreeBSD, I think. I'm just going to multi-boot a spare hard drive. It'll have Feisty on it too.

BarfBag
December 15th, 2006, 08:46 PM
No. My school work requires Windows. Also, I couldn't live without iTunes (the store, not the player). I use Kubuntu as much as possible, but all of my data is on my Windows partition. I'm working on rearranging it so I have 1 partition for data (that both can read).

Brunellus
December 15th, 2006, 09:44 PM
No. My school work requires Windows. Also, I couldn't live without iTunes (the store, not the player). I use Kubuntu as much as possible, but all of my data is on my Windows partition. I'm working on rearranging it so I have 1 partition for data (that both can read).
Yes, on computers I control. I boot into Windows to play only two games (Civ4 and Rome: Total War).

At work, I don't control the computer, so on winXP, but have my desktop arranged to look/feel as much like my GNOME desktop at home.

I can still workin Windows, but I find that it has annoying quirks now that I didn't notice before.

BigDave708
December 16th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I use Debian Etch as my main distro.

dbbolton
December 16th, 2006, 12:25 AM
i haven't booted windows on my computer in months.

contrarily, i just installed sabayon.

i don't see it overtaking ubuntu in my usage preference any time soon.

drphilngood
December 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Havenīt used Windows since I tested Vista and I donīt miss a thing.

dbbolton
December 16th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Havenīt used Windows since I tested Vista and I donīt miss a thing.
do you find vista abhorrent ?

ahaslam
December 16th, 2006, 01:03 AM
50/50 Dapper & Zenwalk 4.0. Dapper's easy with everything I need. Zenwalk is fast & pretty ;)

Tony.

drphilngood
December 16th, 2006, 02:23 AM
do you find vista abhorrent ?

Abhorrent is too strong a word. I just donīt like the direction they are taking.

Rodneyck
December 16th, 2006, 02:27 AM
I have decided to make the switch to the Sabayon distro. After running the LiveDVD, I was hooked, much faster and recognizes more of my hardware than ubuntu. It's a sweet OS.

I will keep ubuntu on my second computer though, so not totally ubuntu free. :eek:

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I have decided to make the switch to the Sabayon distro. After running the LiveDVD, I was hooked, much faster and recognizes more of my hardware than ubuntu. It's a sweet OS.

I will keep ubuntu on my second computer though, so not totally ubuntu free. :eek:

I also use Sabayon on my Primary computer and Ubuntu on my secondary computer...

It is hard not to get hooked to Sabayon.

SunnyRabbiera
December 16th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Currently yes, but I might go OSX in the future.
There are a few linux distros that have come my way that look good as well, like sabayon.
Xenwalk is also very promising and so is arch, PClinux as well once its finalized...

Bezmotivnik
December 16th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I use it for online stuff in the office. That's it. It's not on the notebook or the other office machines.

It gets about 15% of my use, at most.

zaratustra
December 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
gentoo is my main os... because it's better than ubuntu... IMHO... no flame

nyinge
December 16th, 2006, 02:44 PM
because of the windows/mac only World of Warcraft :(

happy-and-lost
December 16th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Yep, but I'm going to have a fiddle around with Arch to see if it is really *that* fast.

matchstich
December 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
i have 2 machines , one has xp on it, and there are a few things i do that i don't know how to on ubuntu, once i figure out do how, i will get rid of windows. gotta add that ubuntu isn't really user friendly for newbies, as far as getting things to work.. i have reinstalled about 6 times now trying to make something work.

Rodneyck
December 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM
i have 2 machines , one has xp on it, and there are a few things i do that i don't know how to on ubuntu, once i figure out do how, i will get rid of windows. gotta add that ubuntu isn't really user friendly for newbies, as far as getting things to work.. i have reinstalled about 6 times now trying to make something work.

Yeah, ubuntu takes some tweaking and it does not always recognize some of the older hardware. I think this has to do inpart because they are running on a 2.6.17 kernel. There is a lot of support here which is the good thing, for all the issues that are compatible with the kernel but aren't recognized.

If you have a newer machine and want to use KDE, you might want to give Sabayon a try. It recognized a lot of my old pci cards, music player and webcam where ubuntu did not and can't yet (older kernel.) I think Sabayon uses a 2.6.18 something or newer (.19). You can run Gnome on it, but there is very little Gnome support and I found some strange errors when running some of the apps, best to go with KDE.

dada1958
December 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I barely touch my G4 imac with Mac OS X 10.4, I tried Sabayon 3.2, the Live DVD looked very promising but was disappointing when I had it installed on my HD: Gnome loaded with errors, the default resolution on my TFT was too low, fonts looked horrible and there was no sound out of the box. I was too lazy to figure things out, the eye candy wasn't worth that effort.
Ubuntu feels more like a well thought system to me, so yeah, It's my main OS ...

djsroknrol
December 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM
It's my main OS for use...I do use PCLOS and Etch however and I still have my Win200Pro partition but haven't booted into it in almost 6 months. If I need something in MS, I use VMware...

aspro
December 18th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I use OS X 10.4, it just works better with my current hardware and I can get all my open source needs through ubuntu in virtualization, or MacPorts.

reyfer
December 18th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Yes!!!
I still have Win***$ XP on a small, separate HD only because so far starting it is the only way to recover my network interface in case of a blackout, the thing just stays there blinking without connecting, and only starting that OS recovers it (if I can find a way to change the connection type from 100 baseT to 10 baseT in Kubuntu, I'll get rid of that Win***$ HD right away)

Cyvros
December 18th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Still on XP - I just basically have no space for Ubuntu at the moment. When I get myself a third HDD, I'm installing Ubuntu. :D But I have two Ubuntu Live CDs and one Xubuntu (as well as a couple of other distros) which I use every so often so that I can prepare for the 'big move'.

I'll still keep XP - I'm desperately trying to be a gamer one of these days.

mdsmedia
December 18th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Yes, on computers I control. I boot into Windows to play only two games (Civ4 and Rome: Total War).

At work, I don't control the computer, so on winXP, but have my desktop arranged to look/feel as much like my GNOME desktop at home.

I can still workin Windows, but I find that it has annoying quirks now that I didn't notice before.
Brunellus, how do you like Civ4 and how does it compare with Civ3? I had Civ CTP and then Civ3....each had their strong (and weak) points. Just curious.

I switched to Ubuntu from XP in October last year (Hoary...just before Breezy) and can't remember if I've used XP as my "main" system since. I still dual-boot as my tax package and a couple of other bits and pieces only run in Windows.

I'm gradually shifting all tasks to Ubuntu as I learn more about how to accomplish them without the Beast. Bit by bit MS is edging under my boot and I can't wait to trample it for ever.

thesmartace
December 18th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Ubuntu has been my main OS for a while. I haven't had Windows installed for about 4 months now...

talbain
December 18th, 2006, 07:35 AM
yeap, main os, the wife too and im in the process of converting 3 friends :-D

rlozano
December 18th, 2006, 10:54 AM
ubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu. that's what i have. :)

sweemeng
December 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
since breezy yes, before that debian testing, before debian, mandrake 10.1, before that debian 3.0. what happen since mandrake 10.1? windows crash for no reason. but can't really reinstall windows, they will format the whole disk). so have windows idling around until the old hard disk dead.

nowadays, not interested in converting people, but if people is interested i'll show how things work. and if need help when using linux, i'll help too, that's why i'm here :p but not into converting people anymore(on the other hand, people try to convert me into using windows)

NeoLithium
December 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Absolutely, I initially did the full plunge into linux, with a variety of distro's; but once I found Ubuntu, I just kept it.

milehigh
December 19th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Ubuntu (Edgy) is the only OS on both of my computers (a desktop and a laptop). I was dual-booting my laptop with XP and Ubuntu until about a month ago. I couldn't think of any reason to keep Windows anymore, so I blew off that partition and made room for more ogg vorbis files. :D

utabintarbo
December 19th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Ubuntu, Gentoo at home. Windows at work. Though I do load various versions of Linux on extra boxes when I have time. :)

amonsul
December 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM
NO because:

- USB Headset doesnt work (microphone doesnt work) (lapotp+desktop)
- On my laptop the screen freezes sometimes (laptop)
- Kino cannot connect to my Canon videocamera (it crashs) (laptop + desktop)
- scanner are unsupported (laptop + desktop)
- i cannot write DVD with K3B or Gnomebaker on my SATA-DVD (desktop)
- i cannot print on CD with my Canon printer (laptop + desktop)
- wireless connection fails sometimes (laptop)
- no really good videoediting software (i need something professional and not ugly like cinelerra)
- no good deejay software (mixx is the only (crash sometimes) one and other sucks)

Thats' it for now...

P.s.: Im not a Ubuntu newbie and i have tried to solve all this issue....

earobinson
December 19th, 2006, 08:38 PM
at home yes at work no its a tie between centos and windows

*voted yes*

hartz
December 20th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Yes I suppose it is my main OS, and on my home PC, the only installed OS. My Work PC still runs Windows. My wife still runs Windows.

But I am looking at OpenSolaris because of my frustration with the way Linux enumerates disk devices, in particular because device for disks names are not reserved between boots.

I am also considdering setting up a Windows XP dual-boot partition just to be able to run a few games, though I don't really have time (for either gaming or to install Windows).

Incidentally, I finally switched to Linux just over a year ago when I heard about Microsoft Vista's upcomming hardware requirements, so something good did come of Vista :-)

shrimphead
December 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM
yes it's my main os but not my only os. I keep a windows partition around for EVE and Shot-online.

doobit
December 20th, 2006, 05:57 PM
NO because:

- USB Headset doesnt work (microphone doesnt work) (lapotp+desktop)
- On my laptop the screen freezes sometimes (laptop)
- Kino cannot connect to my Canon videocamera (it crashs) (laptop + desktop)
- scanner are unsupported (laptop + desktop)
- i cannot write DVD with K3B or Gnomebaker on my SATA-DVD (desktop)
- i cannot print on CD with my Canon printer (laptop + desktop)
- wireless connection fails sometimes (laptop)
- no really good videoediting software (i need something professional and not ugly like cinelerra)
- no good deejay software (mixx is the only (crash sometimes) one and other sucks)

Thats' it for now...

P.s.: Im not a Ubuntu newbie and i have tried to solve all this issue....

Yes! Because:
- My USB headset (C-media based) does work, mic and sound output both. It's actually better than the built in sound!
- My laptop and my two desktop screens never freeze. (Nvidia based video cards)
- Kino connects to my Sony camera through a Sony ieee1394 card and tranferes video and audio nicely.
- K3b works great for writing any media on my Toshiba and my Quanta DVD drives.
- My Epson CX 3200 printer and scanner both work well. (I made a CD template in .eps )
- Cinelerra looks a lot like Avid, which I agree, is ugly, but it works and is free. You could buy MainConcept's MainActor, if you wanted something more commercial. I do prefer Sony Vegas in Windows, however, for my professional work.
- My wireless always works fine. I use a Netgear MA111 for one and an Atheros card for the other. Works great.
- You should check out dyne:bolic as an artist's distro. It has some really nice stuff in it for DJs, like fractal generators, Jack and Jack toolkit, Hydrogen drum machine, a couple of synthesizers, a package called "muse" for DJing streaming audio, etc.

Crashing is frequently a hardware issue, so you should look at that.

granny4linux
December 20th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I started out double bootimg *******Xp and Mandrake; then added Fedora; finally moved to just Ubuntu with the Hoary release. It does everything I want it to and when I have a question I just search these forums and most always find an answer; the few times I needed to ask a question I got an answer right away. We are a 3 computer family; the oldest one we just hack around on; my husband uses Ubuntu on his as well.

neaolin
December 20th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Unfortunately it isn't. XP is. I like gaming too much. In addition, I bring work home with me. Openoffice is not 100% compatible with MS Office and I need to do everything in MS Office. In addition, I have to use a program called PureEdge Viewer. It is a Windows-only program and will not run under WINE. I even went to the Codeweaver's website and they have it listed as broken under WINE.

I use it on my old laptop though, as well as a virtual LAMP server. Hopefully if this opendocument format catches on, I can make the switch permanent and ditch XP/Vista completely. As far as the PureEdge Viewer, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one and hoping that Codeweavers creates a patch for it.

nmincone
December 21st, 2006, 12:03 AM
No because no support for Adobe/MS Office apps. Although I'm finding some ways around that.

GLMontyWV
December 22nd, 2006, 05:32 AM
PCLOS is my #1, works great with all my wifi and everything else....it just works!

I'm into the Ubuntu game now since Linux Mint 2.1 came out and it works with my ZD1211 based usb wireless so I converted my laptop over to it. If I get unhappy with it I won't have any regrets going back to PCLOS but hoping I have an equally positive evperience over on this side of the Linux field.

Thanks, Monty

Lucho
December 22nd, 2006, 06:06 AM
No, not right now. I DID use it for a very long time, but then I installed
Debian Etch. I really like Ubuntu, and I do plan on reinstalling it (Dapper though,
I'm not yet convinced of Edgy). I feel a bit guilty :oops:

Hark3n
December 22nd, 2006, 07:20 AM
You mean to say there is other operating systems?:-? I thought Ubuntu was the only Linux distro!!!

Anyway, it's been my only OS for over a year now. Can't think that I will move to something else, although I'm planning on trying Debian plain. Just for fun.

E

Canis familiaris
December 22nd, 2006, 10:31 AM
Yes, Ubuntu is my main OS.

nsleiman
December 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Just Ubuntu, Just do It :)

mindtrick
December 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
It's my main OS but I keep a Windows partition for my brother.

araz
December 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Yes, because Ubuntu is getting better and better. Windows is, and will be always the same crap.

Shay Stephens
December 22nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
I have been dual booting for the past year. But a couple of weeks ago, I was able to stop that bad habit and now edgy is my main os :-)

67comet
December 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Ubuntu is my main OS. Unfortunately although it has worked very well for me, I can still taste the Debian in it and that is just kaka in my mouth. Gentoo for ever was my main distro but I got a little tired of editing conf files, and the time it took to compile the big stuff like OO.o, KDE and the like.

I'm always looking for a Gentoo based distro (Like Ubuntu is Debian based). But so far there just hasn't been much. I miss portage, and all the things it can do. But Ubuntu's aptitude has been awesome I must say.

Cheers and vivia Ubuntu,
Justin

scojo
December 23rd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Ubuntu is my only OS running on a Gateway notebook. I also have 3 Macs for the wife and kiddies. Running OS X on them. However, my kids *love* the games bundled in the default Ubuntu configuration.

I'm able to do everything I need in Ubuntu. I have a Brother laserprinter which works well w/ the laptop. I use LaTeX quite a bit and R. I have the multimedia stuff working through Automatix.

So, I've got everything I need and I'm (mostly) free!

wdo_will
December 23rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Not only my main OS, but my only OS! I nuked Windows off completely about a month ago :)

rocknrolf77
December 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Main Os , but have xp around for gaming and photoshop. Don't use xp much though, I use Gimp or Krita as much as I can, but I need XP/PS sometimes. Loaded it with flyakite osx lookalike to try to forget that i'm in win. :)

ezsit
December 23rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Yes. I am running 5.10 on my main system and 6.06 on the second computer. I keep a small Windows 2000 partition going for work related stuff. I also have a spare hard drive for playing with other Linuxes (PCLinuxOS now, and Fedora soon).

I started with Mandriva 2005LE and that was the Linux that replaced Windows as my main OS. I then tried Ubuntu and never looked back. I have older hardware and Ubuntu 5.10 just runs beautifully. I'll be upgrading to 6.06 soon for the extended support.

Artemis3
December 23rd, 2006, 08:11 PM
I only dual boot for gaming, which is not that often. When i need work done, a stable and secure OS is a must. I'm moving to gnewsense (http://www.gnewsense.org/) to avoid blobs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob) being forced enabled on us.

peanut butter
December 23rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
i dual boot on my laptop for dialup access when im in Greece, but otherwise, the rest of my computers have ubuntu, with the excption of my firewall (smoothwall) and my server (debian VM). so ubuntu is my main OS.

Jessehk
December 23rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
It used to be.

I just recently installed Gentoo and despite the difficulties, I'm finding it a lot more fun.

MiKom
December 26th, 2006, 10:50 AM
No because for everyday work I use Gentoo and Ubuntu is used by my father and sister.

purplearcanist
December 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Yes, execpt I have to use Windows XP sometimes if some program I need doesn't work well on Ubuntu.

~LoKe
December 26th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Haven't used Windows for a year this Friday.

patrick295767
December 26th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Not anymore... switched back all PC's to Debian

OrangeCrate
December 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I voted yes, because it's all that I use.

However, I did leave XP on this new HP box, because I get a free upgrade to Vista. For me, it will be the cheapest way to take a look at Vista, but I wouldn't even think of going back to windows. Just curious I guess...

Amorphous_Snake
December 29th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I voted (NO) but that's not entirely true!

I have an old PC with Ubuntu only and have been so for a whole year.

But on my main PC, I have Windows XP for games and other things and a second HDD that I use to dual boot and try other Linux distros. I tried Kubuntu and openSUSE 10.2 so far.

PartisanEntity
December 29th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Two months ago I was a long time Windows user, now I only have Ubuntu on my laptop, I can't believe how easy the migration was or how fast it went.

TooRight
December 29th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I voted yes, because even though I have a dual boot with XP, I abhor XP and only actually use it a couple of times a month... I'm bitching and belly-aching the entire time, lol

maddog39
December 29th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Yes, I have been using Ubuntu since breezy and dual booting for a year and a half and about 6 or so months ago, I abolished windows and since then have used Ubuntu as my primary OS. I have it on my desktop, my PowerBook, and even got it dual booted onto my moms laptop. Although since I got HL2: Episode 1, I will have to reinstall windows to play that unfortunetly when I get my desktop fixed that is.

merlyn
December 29th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Absolutely, though I still have a dual boot for the odd game or to.

However as I discover and find more games that I like that run natively on Linux I visit my 'other' OS less and less.

Cheers

WiseElben
December 29th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Very close to being my only OS, but then I realize that i need to play games (Cedega won't do) and use Adobe products.

Mateo
December 29th, 2006, 04:50 AM
about 40/60 right now. I still use windows for various media needs while i work out the kinks in ubuntu (such as my sound problem). will use windows less and less though.

thelinux_guy
December 29th, 2006, 05:02 AM
I use Ubuntu 6.10 as my main OS because of,well,you know the reasons. anyway,i have used Ubuntu since 5.04,its so customizable and it literally killed windows as it was getting ready to install,what a wonderful feeling :p I used to use windows,but then i installed Ubuntu on my main HDD inside my PC and put windows on a separate external HDD which i them installed ReactOS on some months later,that OS seems promising....

Viva Ubuntu! :-D

d.j.schroeder
December 29th, 2006, 05:29 AM
No. Games, games, games...

If it weren't for that maybe I would switch completely.

zendiagrams
December 29th, 2006, 06:25 AM
It's not my only OS but as of now it gets most of my usage time.

All my servers run FreeBSD where as workstations run Ubuntu now, and that is where 80% of my usage is done. This includes both at my work and home.

I also have a windows machine that has the privilege of only being used for games that I can't get for my consoles. If it were not for certain games that I like, I would have no reason anymore to run a windows machine.

As I get older (over 30 now) and my interest in games, and the time I can dedicate to them changes, I move further and further away from needing that windows machine.