PDA

View Full Version : BSD/Linux ( as opposed to GNU/Linux)

halfvolle melk
December 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
In the Slackware book it says there's a lot of BSD in Slackware. Ubuntu contains the BIND package for exmp., is this related to BSD? I know Debian is working on GNU/BSD ports, but are there true BSD/Linux distro's out there?

RAV TUX
December 3rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
In the Slackware book it says there's a lot of BSD in Slackware. Ubuntu contains the BIND package for exmp., is this related to BSD? I know Debian is working on GNU/BSD ports, but are there true BSD/Linux distro's out there?

I believe Gentoo has the closest to what you want?:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/BSD

*moving to the BSD forum*

deanlinkous
December 4th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Well usually when you say BSD you are talking about the kernel, and when you say linux you are talking the kernel. So no, there would not be BSD/Linux.

Slackware is more BSDish as in things are done more then old-school unix way instead of the newer linux way. Usually meaning the init scripts and possibly file structure.

Now there are GNU/BSD systems like debians and others....

halfvolle melk
December 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM
No, I'm not. I'm talking about a linux kernel with lets say coreutils and so on from the BSD world. That's also why this shouldn't have been moved to BSD talk ...

deanlinkous
December 5th, 2006, 07:09 AM
okay...
well you mentioned slackware - AFAIK slackware does not use the BSDutils on top of GNU+linux. Why would you do that when AFAIK GNU coreutils often have more functionality. Slackware uses different init scripts and so do some other distros and that is why they are considered more unix-ish. Debian has the packages for it if you wish, and I am sure ubuntu does too.

You asked questions - if you already knew the answer then what was the point?

halfvolle melk
December 5th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Why would you do that when AFAIK GNU coreutils often have more functionality.
I don't know, maybe someone could tell me. :) As for Slackware, all I know is that I read in their handbook that Slackware contains a fair bit of BSD-userland.

You asked questions - if you already knew the answer then what was the point?
I wouldn't know. I generally tend not to do that :p So, any true BSD/Linuxes out there?

All I was doing was considering the permutations of Linux-kernel / BSD-kernel / GNU-userland / BSD-userland and hoped someone might provide insightfull information that I was not aware of.