PDA

View Full Version : Attention: All Ubuntu Fans!!!!!!!

coolblue
May 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
ATTENTION: ALL UBUNTU FANS!!!!

Introducing a distro which is FAR FAR BETTER than Ubuntu/Kubuntu,
Its SimplyMEPIS 3.3!!! ITS FAR BETTER THAN UBUNTU IN MANY WAYS:

SimplyMEPIS 3.3 is better than Ubuntu bcoz -

1. All browser plugins PRE-INSTALLED! INCLUDING J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT!
2. All multimedia codecs PRE-INSTALLED! (except libdvdcss)
3. KDE-based
4. Top notch apps like Firefox, Thunderbird, Gaim, GIMP, Skype, Nautilus, Azereus, gFTP, KGet, Kino, Audacity, DigiKam, KFax, Java Web Start, AKregator, Pan, K3b, Real Player, Xine, XMMS, Ark, KGpg, OpenOffice, KMix, ID3 Tagger and MUCH MORE! Plus games like Tuxracer & FrozenBubble!!

5. AUTO-MOUNTS ALL YOUR WINDOWS PARTITIONS!!!

6. InstallationCD +LiveCD+ Recovery CD!!! All in one!!
VERRRY easy to recover data from unbootable Windows PC, or re-install GRUB/LILO in a GRAPHICAL MANNER!!

7. FULLY GRAPHICAL INSTALLER!! AND AN EASY GRAPHICAL DiskPartitioner!!
(including NTFS partition resizing)

8. Freedom to choose kernel 2.6 AND 2.4!!
9. Amazing hardware detection better than Ubuntu!!
10. Debian-based
11. And of course ABSOLUTELY FREE!!

12. 3 Extra CD ISOs with more apps will soon be released!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL FOR FREE!
CD1 will have Documentation & Language Suppoet
CD2 will have more KDE games, and developer apps
CD3 will have Gnome, server & MEPIS packages

What more can ANYONE want?? Isn't it MUCH BETTER than Ubuntu? \\:D/
So I say, accept SimplyMEPIS 3.3 and discard Ubuntu and u'll be MUCH HAPPIER!!

No offence intended.

If anyone still wants to stick to Ubuntu, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GOOD REASONS FOR IT.

Check out its screenshots at OSDir or MepisLovers site.

Best regards
CoolBlue

Rule
May 2nd, 2005, 08:01 AM
http://www3.telus.net/ra11le/smilies/bwtf.gif

A-star
May 2nd, 2005, 08:02 AM
It all comes down on what you prefer.
me, I like ubuntu more then any other distro.

defkewl
May 2nd, 2005, 08:02 AM
One reason:

In MEPIS to do update to newer version you have to do full install from scratch which means you have to install it over your old instalation. Now that's one thing why I left MEPIS ;) For personal use it's okay, but it's not okay when you offer it to your client

Gandalf
May 2nd, 2005, 08:05 AM
well in all what you've mentioned what worth switching to it is that firefox plugins etc... are preinstalled but that doesn't really bother me, by typing 2/3 commands :lol:

i like ubuntu because i like it!!!! one it's easy, installed on any PC, release date is 6 months!!!!!!!! alike other distro!!!!!

but i will download live cd and try it, but never leave ubuntu :-P

nocturn
May 2nd, 2005, 08:15 AM
I actually tried Mepis before going Ubuntu.
It is just a snapshot of Debian unstable with all proprietary stuff added. AFAIK it does not have security updates.

I found it to be much less polished then Ubuntu is.

Gandalf
May 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
I actually tried Mepis before going Ubuntu.
It is just a snapshot of Debian unstable with all proprietary stuff added. AFAIK it does not have security updates.

I found it to be much less polished then Ubuntu is.
then i will not try it :lol:

KiwiNZ
May 2nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Hmm I don't think so

jdodson
May 2nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
1. All browser plugins PRE-INSTALLED! INCLUDING J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT!

all browser plugins? you know how many plugins there are? do you have the yahoo firefox toolbar? i would rather have a faster browser than one loaded down with "all " the plugins.

2. All multimedia codecs PRE-INSTALLED! (except libdvdcss)

wmv, realaudio, divx, quicktime, etc. if they are installed by default either mepis pays licensing fees or you are running the gamut of illegalities. if you "paid the man" so you can get all those nice features, you are increasing the stranglehold of proprieterazation. i will leave that up to the reader to decide if that is good or not.

3. KDE-based

kubuntu.

4. Top notch apps like Firefox, Thunderbird, Gaim, GIMP, Skype, Nautilus, Azereus, gFTP, KGet, Kino, Audacity, DigiKam, KFax, Java Web Start, AKregator, Pan, K3b, Real Player, Xine, XMMS, Ark, KGpg, OpenOffice, KMix, ID3 Tagger and MUCH MORE! Plus games like Tuxracer & FrozenBubble!!

right, ubuntu doesnt have those at all. wait, we do i forgot.

5. AUTO-MOUNTS ALL YOUR WINDOWS PARTITIONS!!!

so does lindows, that doesnt make it a good distro.

knoppix has it too. does that make knoppix better than ubuntu? no, it makes it different.

6. InstallationCD +LiveCD+ Recovery CD!!! All in one!!
VERRRY easy to recover data from unbootable Windows PC, or re-install GRUB/LILO in a GRAPHICAL MANNER!!

have to give mepis that one, its a good idea. ubuntu is considering doing this actually.

7. FULLY GRAPHICAL INSTALLER!! AND AN EASY GRAPHICAL DiskPartitioner!!
(including NTFS partition resizing)

do people install distros all day long? if you did you need to make install images anyway.

the text installer is very functional. the installer just needs to "get out of the way" it doesnt "need" to be graphical. we have over a million users, they all found it acceptable to install ubuntu via text.

8. Freedom to choose kernel 2.6 AND 2.4!!

anyone can chose to go to kernel 2.4. the source is available to everyone. easy universe install, thats different. but everyone has the freedom to chose whatever kernel they want in any gnu/linux distro. this is a non-issue.

9. Amazing hardware detection better than Ubuntu!!

this is debatable and in my opinion wrong as mepis and ubuntu come from debian which makes them cousins of sorts. so our hardware detection should be very similar if not equal.

i have had one problem with hardware. and mepis would too as the driver is not open sourced.

10. Debian-based

your information is either wrong or you are constructing a form post. ubuntu is from debian as well.

11. And of course ABSOLUTELY FREE!!

yet again, you need to do a bit more research. mepis runs users through the coals of guilting users into paying for mepis. ubuntu is always free.

does mepis do free cd shipping? i didnt think so. this is a strength of ubuntu and a weakness of every other gnu/linux distro.

12. 3 Extra CD ISOs with more apps will soon be released!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL FOR FREE!
CD1 will have Documentation & Language Suppoet
CD2 will have more KDE games, and developer apps
CD3 will have Gnome, server & MEPIS packages

ubuntu has all of this in universe, no cds required. yet again, please do better research.

What more can ANYONE want?? Isn't it MUCH BETTER than Ubuntu? \\:D/
So I say, accept SimplyMEPIS 3.3 and discard Ubuntu and u'll be MUCH HAPPIER!!

this is about as trite as any given corporation saying that a product will make you more happy. happiness is not found in a gnu/linux distro.

No offence intended.

you are not offensive, you just build a straw man argument that is not very good and at times incorrect.

If anyone still wants to stick to Ubuntu, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GOOD REASONS FOR IT.

sure.

the ubuntu community has no counterpart i have experienced in open source up to this point.

free cd shipping via shipit.

ubuntus vision for the next desktop release is very innovative. i wonder what roadmap mepis has?

ubuntu is constructed only of FLOSS software. mepis is not.

ubuntu is gnome based. this is a big deal, i really like gnome. mepis does not have a gnome install cd, ubuntu has a kde and gnome install cd. there has been talk of a xfce install cd. will mepis get those soon?

ubuntu pushes all changes back to debian. does mepis do that? i just am not sure, you seem to be a mepis expert of sorts.

ubuntu has a 6 mo. release cycle. what is mepis release cycle? how long is mepis supported after release. ubuntu has a 18 month support cycle, there is talk on creating a enterprise version with more support(it will still be free btw). does mepis have this too?

ubuntu-geek
May 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM
jdodson, well said reply.