PDA

View Full Version : Firefox vs. Opera vs. ...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lord Illidan
September 4th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Does anyone think that the Spreadfirefox guys are slightly over-zealous?

I mean, prancing around with the picture of a fox painted on your face, or on a t-shirt doesn't sound very sane to me..

And the browser, well, I know it is a free product, and it is very good, but compared to Opera 8, I think it has a few problems.

Number 1. It is slow to load. Opera is almost instant.
Number 2. It freezes sometimes, when loading a lot of tabs.
Number 3. The problems with the profiles.. How many times have I lost my default profile with all the bookmarks and thingies in it?

IE is definitely worse than Opera and Firefox but it loads faster than Firefox. I don't know why FF is so sluggish, but I think it should be resolved. Who agrees?

MetalHannes
September 4th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I do but i dont have Opera so i can't say anything 'bout it

GeneralZod
September 4th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Firefox definitely has resource consumption (CPU and memory) issues compared to both IE and Opera, and leaks memory like a sieve. 1.5 is supposed to help with a lot of these, though.

It's still my favourite browser, though, even though Opera is technically superior, better-written, and more innovative - I can't image using anything else :)

majikstreet
September 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Hmm...
I love firefox.

Opera is too ugly for me.

What about epiphany... All bored2k has been talking about on IRC is epiphany this epiphany that...

majikstreet

endy
September 4th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I think Firefox version 1.5 is due out in a month or so and with any luck so these problems will become history :)

pmj
September 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Firefox is sluggish, but problems with profiles is something I've never had. Never lost a bookmark or anything.

When I was still on Windows I used Opera for "speed browsing", when I needed to quickly open and close a lot of windows, but for some reason the Linux version is quite a bit slower so it no longer has that advantage. The rest of the features Opera has is stuff I don't (voluntarily) use anyway. With mouse gestures enabled I end up doing things I don't want every 5 minutes, so those has to go. All keyboard shortcuts has to be removed too, or else I'll end up on Opera's portal when I meant to paste and things like that.

Ubunted
September 4th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I've become far too accustomed to Firefox to ever switch to the comparatively overcomplicated Opera or simplistic Epiphany myself.

YourSurrogateGod
September 4th, 2005, 08:21 PM
What about just plain Mozilla? I know that it's similar to FireFox, but I've noticed too many differences in ordert to slap these two together.

YourSurrogateGod
September 4th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Firefox definitely has resource consumption (CPU and memory) issues compared to both IE and Opera, and leaks memory like a sieve. 1.5 is supposed to help with a lot of these, though.
Although Firefox consumes quite a bit of resources, I'm surprised that it has a memory leak.

Kvark
September 4th, 2005, 08:40 PM

I mean, prancing around with the picture of a fox painted on your face, or on a t-shirt doesn't sound very sane to me..
I think they do it for fun, just like there is some sport fans who thinks it's fun to take that too far.

The only case when firefox is slow for me is when I use the back and forward buttons, somehow it takes 4-5 times as long to display a page it already has loaded then to request a new page from the server. It must be a bug.

I know it is always slow for others though, specially for people who are on dail up and are used to IE's habit of speeding things up by caching all the junk in temporary internet files.

It freezes only once per year or so for me.

Number 3. The problems with the profiles.. How many times have I lost my default profile with all the bookmarks and thingies in it?
I've never lost a profile, maybe cause I have only one. Why does it have profiles anyway? Shouldn't separate settings for each user be handled by storing the settings in /home/user/.firefox/?

YourSurrogateGod
September 4th, 2005, 08:47 PM
If the zealots turn more people away from IE, then that will mean fewer viruses in the internets. Better to have those guys frothing at the mouth than legions of IE users.

blastus
September 4th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Internet Explorer: I have nothing say
Opera: Isn't free
Firefox: Is free and does the job

Therefore, Firefox.

Kimm
September 4th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I got a huge bost in loading time when I installed Firefox from the mozilla website... its alot more stable now aswell, same goes with thunderbird.

I cinda like Opera to, but Ctrl + T dosnt work and its pretty uggly...

GeneralZod
September 4th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Although Firefox consumes quite a bit of resources, I'm surprised that it has a memory leak.

Not just one, but several. The most severe ones have been fixed now, but the Deer Park builds apparently still contain some leaks. Search their bugzilla for memory leaks - it's a topic many people complain about.

Quite recently (with plain Firefox), Firefox took up so much memory that I used up all 512MB of RAM and 512MB of swap. From closing Firefox to the cessation of disk activity took 1.5 minutes, and I have a pretty fast harddrive :). At that point, Firefox had just 10 tabs open.

weasel fierce
September 4th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Firefox does what I want it to do. I rather like Mozilla too though

xequence
September 4th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Yes, firefox is slow for me... IE is fast to load and all but I just dont like it. I used opera with no ads a month ago, it was good but I just went back to firefox as it was more familar.

Lux Perpetua
September 4th, 2005, 10:57 PM

And the browser, well, I know it is a free product, and it is very good, but compared to Opera 8, I think it has a few problems.

Number 1. It is slow to load. Opera is almost instant.Agreed; this is annoying.

Number 2. It freezes sometimes, when loading a lot of tabs.I haven't had this particular problem, but it does crash occasionally (just disappears without a trace).

Did it tell you that "Your profile is already in use"? If that happens, try going to ~/.mozilla/firefox. (Make sure no firefox is running. killall firefox and killall firefox-bin to be sure. If you want, copy this paragraph to a text file before closing firefox.) There should be a directory or two with strange names; each apparently corresponds to a profile. For me, there is one called "xxxxx.default" where the xxxxx is a seemingly random string. Change into one such directory and list the contents. There may be an ugly file named "lock" in there. Apparently that file is a (broken) symbolic link, and it tells firefox that your profile is in use. Sometimes, if firefox exits under inauspicious circumstances, lock is not removed, and firefox thinks your profile is still in use. So delete lock, and you should be able to use your profile again.

IE is definitely worse than Opera and Firefox but it loads faster than Firefox. I don't know why FF is so sluggish, but I think it should be resolved. Who agrees?Yeah. It's all a work in progress. I think it will continue to improve :-)

npaladin2000
September 4th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I've never had issues with Firefox. I HAVE had issues with the shockwave-flash player jacking up my CPU to 100% and absolutely eating it up. If it prompts me for a profile thaen that usually means there's a copy of it hung somewhere (happens in Windows too).

As for the load time, the only way around that is to have a pre-loader like Netscape and Mozilla did in Windows. IE takes zero time to load because it's pretty much always running.

Opera is a nice enough browser, and I've been following it since Version 3. Nice browser, basically re-created the 3rd party browser market and maintained it while Netscape went on hiatus. They DO have a "free" version (ad-supported), however, Opera isn't FOSS, which to some makes it somewhat more evil than Satan. To each their own I guess.

Epiphany has got a lot of potential, and in some ways I like it even better than Firefox. it's main problem is website compatibility, which isn't as good as Firefox. needs a few more add-ons too, something like Firefox's Flash-got except for GNOME based downloaders (or maybe a built-in frontend to WGET). it has a ways to go, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

cowlip
September 5th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Yes, I definitely prefer Opera. I've always ended up with a corrupted profile and UI at one point or another after installing extensions. I like that Opera has these features builtin.

poofyhairguy
September 5th, 2005, 01:16 AM
The problem is that the quality of Firefox changes from platform to platform. The Windows version is the best. The Mac OSX is second. The Linux version is poor compared to the rest.

I don't know why, but I know its true. I have logged at least 1000 hours in Firefox- at least 50 on each platform. The Linux one is the worst. It uses more RAM, more CPU. Its renders pages slower (try scrolling down quickly in the Linux Firefox- the lines break!). Its buggier. A lot of the problems people have with "Ubuntu" on this forum are problems with the Linux Firefox. I still use it (used to it, and I have CPU cycles to spare) but its way worse.

By 2.0 these problems will be fixed. It will use Cairo 100% by then....but till then the Linux Firefox kinda sucks.

Epiphany has got a lot of potential, and in some ways I like it even better than Firefox. it's main problem is website compatibility, which isn't as good as Firefox. needs a few more add-ons too, something like Firefox's Flash-got except for GNOME based downloaders (or maybe a built-in frontend to WGET). it has a ways to go, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Epiphany a world beater. Its renders pages way faster than Firefox with less CPU. To find out for yourself: go to a page with a long list of hyperlinks. Using the middle mouse button, open 20 tabs in a row- one right after the other before they get a change to load- in both programs. Linux Firefox will lag, and take my CPU to 100% for a prolonged period. Epiphany will shoot them out.

Every web page compatible with Firefox should be compatible with Epiphany- I think they use the same rendering engine. Its just the Epiphany is native- made for GTK and Gnome. Linux Firefox as it is a port of a Windows program. The Windows side gets most the development, most of the use.

That said, until Epiphany can get some add blocking and allow me to edit its looks (like Firefox does) I will continue to use Firefox on my top machine. But for older ones.....Epiphany or Opera is the best choice.

BWF89
September 5th, 2005, 02:21 AM
I've lost all my bookmarks 3 times this summer (WindowsXP version).

So I posted the problem on the MozillaZine forums and someone told me to install this extension: http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?extension=bb .

I haven't had it long enough to see if it does what it says it does but hopefully it will and the developers at Mozilla Corp will incorperate it into the Firefox's default install.

As for Opera the only thing I can say is: bloated.

blastus
September 5th, 2005, 03:19 AM

Firefox loads almost instantaneously on Windows XP on my machine. Firefox on Linux takes a lot longer to load than Firefox on Windows.

I'm not sure about Firefox freezing on Linux because I haven't seen it happen, but on Windows XP it can and does occasionally freeze. Most of the time it is with PDF documents and/or QuickTime content and/or certain webpages. I've also had Firefox freeze with Java on Windows XP. I don't think I've ever had Firefox freeze with tons of tabs (like 20+) open though.

I used Opera way back before even Netscape 6 was released. I don't know what version it was because it was so long ago. But Opera would crash or freeze ALL THE TIME making it the most flakey piece of software I have ever used on Windows. That turned me off of Opera and I haven't used it since.

I've never had a profile lost in Firefox and I've been using it since the summer of 2003. It's very easy to backup your bookmarks also, just backup the bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak files. As a matter of fact, these bookmark files are interchangeable between Windows and Linux. When I transitioned to Linux, I got my bookmarks from Firefox on Windows by copying these two files.

IE is definitely worse than Opera and Firefox but it loads faster than Firefox. I don't know why FF is so sluggish, but I think it should be resolved. Who agrees?

Both IE and Firefox take the same amount of time to load on Windows XP on my machine. I'm not sure how one can even compare load times since IE doesn't even support tabs.

Gary Powers
September 5th, 2005, 03:38 AM
As for Opera the only thing I can say is: bloated.

Actually, less so than Firefox.

Gary

Ampersand
September 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM
The one thing I prefer about firefox over epiphany is the drop-down box from the address bar, which I find convenient.

Galoot
September 5th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Opera is bloated? Golly whiz, for a 3.6MB download you get browsing, RSS, e-mail, Usenet and IRC. Feature bloated, maybe, but small and sleek otherwise. If they stuck to browsing alone it might all fit on a floppy. :)

Firefox 1.0.6 - 4.7MB
Safari 1.2 - 7MB
Mozilla 1.X - 11MB
Internet Explorer 6 - 12MB
Netscape 8 - 12.9MB

And it's no "uglier" than IE, Firefox or Epiphany. The default skin isn't all that pretty, mind you, but neither is Firefox's. You can skin it any way you like. Panther's nice... Here's a screen cap:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8074/gkrellshoot0905050339423qj.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gkrellshoot0905050339423qj.jpg)

lol
September 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Firefox vs Opera vs IE?

Is there a point to such a thread? Opera is definitely the best, of course! :)

More seriously, I believe that comparing browsers is like comparing OSes. Since none of them are perfect, the best one for you is the one that suits you best, but it will probably turn out to be the worst one for your neighbour.

dcraven
September 7th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I just 10 minutes ago jumped ship from Firefox to Opera. Opera is the ugliest bit of software I've ever seen, but at least it is fast to the point of being functional. Firefox's sluggishness and leaks finally tipped me over the edge. I'm not saying I'll never try it again, but at the moment I spend more time waiting for things to load and render than I do viewing content. It's a shame Opera chose Qt.

Cheers,
~djc

Perfect Storm
September 7th, 2005, 10:05 PM
One word: Epiphany!
Fast, reliable and it goes for your theme!
Download size 1,8 mb - installed size 9,0 mb

My 0.00002 euro

mrtaber
September 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Epiphany for me, too. I'm all about the smart bookmarks, too. :-D

Mark

Muhammad
September 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Firefox > IE hands down.

Haven't tried Opera yet, but I say one thing the Opera people should do is change the ugly name into something modren.

dcraven
September 7th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Firefox > IE hands down.

Haven't tried Opera yet, but I say one thing the Opera people should do is change the ugly name into something modren.
You think the name is bad, wait until you see the UI!! hahaha.. Nice browser though. The content is rendered in less than 20 seconds which is an improvement over some competitors.

:)
~djc

lol
September 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM
You think the name is bad, wait until you see the UI!!

It's amazing the number of people who find Opera ugly! I wonder why...

I prefer the GTK look over the QT one, but there are also nice themes for QT, and I wouldn't call it ugly. As a matter of fact, my Opera looks almost like a GTK app right now, and there are a lot of easy to install themes for Opera if you are not satisfied with the default one.

Also, Opera may be faster than Firefox to render pages, but for me it's really not what matters. The best part of Opera is the fact that the UI is so well designed that whatever I do takes me less time than with any other browser. Opera could be slower to render web pages, it would still save me time. IMHO, that the definition of a fast browser.

aysiu
September 8th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Nothing can beat Opera's speed, and it has some pretty cool built-in functions.
There are some things that keep drawing me back to Firefox, though:

1. Even though Opera has an "identify as MSIE 6.0," I've never found it to allow me to use IE-only sites. I've had really good luck with Firefox's User Agent Switcher extension, though.

2. There are several built-in seaches in the search bar (Amazon, Google, eBay, etc.) in Opera, but in Firefox, I can add and delete engines as I see fit. For example, I can add in Google Maps, IMDB, Wikipedia, and Urban Dictionary.

3. I can do an "I'm feeling lucky" Google search by just typing the search into the address bar in Firefox.

4. It's easier to browse Firefox's themes (and I like Firefox's themes better--just a personal preference).

5. Extensions--Adblock, Flashblock, FireFTP, IEView, FoxyTunes... The possibilities are near-limitless. Opera has a pretty good set of base features, but I prefer to start with a vanilla browser and add on as I see fit.

6. Tab behavior. I've tried every single combination I could of "cycle through recent page order" or "don't cycle" or whatever, but I can't get Opera to just go left to right or right to left--that's how I like to manage my tabs.

7. Banner ad. Sure, they recently had their anniversary thing where they gave out licenses (I snatched them up right away--believe me), but I can hardly recommend the browser to other people. That banner ad is annoying.

8. Even though Opera is faster, there are some tweaks you can do to the about:config in Firefox to speed it up. The most recent one I found really made a difference: adding nglayout.initialpaint.delay = 0. There are others, though.

All that said... there are some things that Opera definitely has over Firefox. First of all, it's not buggy. If you add too many extensions, the wrong extensions, or keep adding and taking away extensions, sometimes your profile can get corrupt, and Firefox crashes like crazy whenever it wants. I've seen this happen multiple times in Windows and Mac, and I've read about it happening in Linux, too (though I haven't experienced it myself).

I do like the Firefox themes, but the Opera ones just seem better designed or better integrated with the browser. Maybe it's just me.

In any case, use what's best for you. I'm just saying why I end up choosing Firefox.

cowlip
September 8th, 2005, 09:24 PM
4. It's easier to browse Firefox's themes (and I like Firefox's themes better--just a personal preference).

Are you talking about "Find more themes" in appearances?

6. Tab behavior. I've tried every single combination I could of "cycle through recent page order" or "don't cycle" or whatever, but I can't get Opera to just go left to right or right to left--that's how I like to manage my tabs.

I know exactly what you're talking about :D Do this: Go to mouse gestures/shortcuts in the pref panel, then make a left gesture to Close page & Switch to previous page and then a right gesture with Close page & Switch to next page . It works great.

The most recent one I found really made a difference: adding nglayout.initialpaint.delay = 0. There are others, though.

AFAIK, that is in Opera. go to "browsing" in advanced, choose option loading to "instantly"

All that said... there are some things that Opera definitely has over Firefox. First of all, it's not buggy. If you add too many extensions, the wrong extensions, or keep adding and taking away extensions, sometimes your profile can get corrupt, and Firefox crashes like crazy whenever it wants. I've seen this happen multiple times in Windows and Mac, and I've read about it happening in Linux, too (though I haven't experienced it myself).

I also have lots of problem with the UI. Since early firefox, buttons will stop responding just randomly.

cowlip
September 8th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I got a huge bost in loading time when I installed Firefox from the mozilla website... its alot more stable now aswell, same goes with thunderbird.

I cinda like Opera to, but Ctrl + T dosnt work and its pretty uggly...

http://people.opera.com/rijk/opera/huginmunin.html :) choose munin keyboard shortcuts

I know about all this firefox cuz I haad the same probs switching too..but whatev floats ur boat

SKLP
September 8th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Here's a screen cap:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8074/gkrellshoot0905050339423qj.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gkrellshoot0905050339423qj.jpg)
OMG, that's UGLY.

oh and btw, a good browser would be an epiphany powered by gtk-webcore... :roll:

angkor
September 8th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Nothing can beat Opera's speed

What about dillo?

sudo apt-get install dillo

;)

aysiu
September 9th, 2005, 12:01 AM
What about dillo?

sudo apt-get install dillo

;) I mean of the major browsers (the ones mentioned in the subject heading). Of course, you can always go with Lynx, which is faster than Dillo.

angkor
September 9th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Yeah I know, but lynx isn't really a 'graphical' browser, dillo is.

It's a great little browser. For me it would be the perfect browser, firefox's usability and looks and dillo's speed.

:)

PhoenixP3K
September 14th, 2005, 03:13 AM
I don't see that Opera is ugly at all, of course on Linux the program menu looks weird but you can easily change it. The skins changes do not require browser reload. We have the nice mouse gesture, low CPU usage and tabbed browsing (not that unique anymore).

It's like that weird battle of the old-experienced vs the new-popular

Opera takes security issues at care better than IE and Firefox. I was tempted by Firefox more than once but the "tweaking" powers of Opera brought me back. Plus if we consider the 3 millions liscence they gave for free at the 10th anniversary party we might think (hope) of a world-wide free Opera (they're making a lot more money with their mobile technology).
\\:D/

It's hard to say why I'd choose Opera. Is it because I don't have to install 20 plug-ins in Firefox to have the same effect? Or is it the integrated M2 (email), RSS, IRC, Notes/Memo and the under-developpement Torrent capabilities that can be enabled in a few clicks.

rolfotto
September 14th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Haven't used IE since Firefox 0.9xxx (?) came out - a good while.

IE - no tabs, too many ads - 'nuff said (though my knowledge is admittedly out of date)

Firefox - Didn't have too many problems. Some problems include that the profiles thing - I wish I could save a profile and transfer all my settings to another computer (maybe I can, don't know), about:config doesn't seem to save settings.

Other than that, it's fine. Going from 1.06 to 1.5b had major problems, but then that's what's to be expected in a beta. Went back to 1.06 - nothing else to complain about.

Opera - flirted with it. I'm not a browser aficionado but can see why others like it.

aysiu
September 14th, 2005, 03:31 AM
I wish I could save a profile and transfer all my settings to another computer (maybe I can, don't know) You can. I do it all the time.

GreyFox503
September 14th, 2005, 07:56 AM
If you guys think firefox is slow you might want to download the new 1.5 beta 1. On my computer it loads a lot faster than 1.0.6.

Other than half of my extensions now working yet (understandable), I like the new version.

If you decide to do this I would make a backup copy of your ~/.mozilla folder first, just in case...

bored2k
September 14th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I am an Epiphany user. It loads far faster than Firefox.

GreyFox, haven't tried Firefox 1.5, but I will probably wait for a final release.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66057

orev
February 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM
So Opera is being adopted pretty widely in mobile computing...but Firefox has a head start in the Destop...

It seems to me that the mobile device market (phones and more), and its mass numbers, will get many people (users and programmers) on to the Opera bandwagon.

(I like firefox for its extentions, themes, and plugins...but opera seems (?) faster to me.)

So I wonder...(this maybe a pointless thread!)

Is Firefox at/near the apogee of its popularity?

Which do you prefer?

Given the large numbers in the mobile device market, which do you think will have greater market share and be the best MS alternative in the long run?

Teroedni
February 7th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Firefox since its opensource

Opera is propiery, and that means the developer doent have time to develop for 64 bit:(
or doent care:/

byen
February 7th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Ok.. I will keep this short:
Firefox is popular because it is open-source and a damn good browser. I has all the extensions any regular user could ask for and is highly customizable. It works on most websites and is pretty safe. Do I like it YES! Is it perfect..NO! But which Software is?
Coming to Opera... I first used it when it became free... and eversince It has been my fav. browser. Its so damn fast and the interface just gets me ..dont get me wrong...firefox has some amazing skins too. But its opera's speed that takes the cake in my plate. And with the next release of opera supporting widgets..I see a lot of possibilties for this browser in the near future.

Is Firefox at/near the apogee of its popularity?
No-way!! With so much development going on and so many developers taking time to improve firefox... I think it is safe to say that firefox would continue to rise.

In the end..its all good for users like me...I have more options to use the one I like (or feel like on a certain day). And for some...use the browser which best fits their needs.

Lord Illidan
February 7th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I like firefox for 3 main reasons:

1. It is opensource, completely, purely free. I know Opera has become free too, but it is not opensource, yet. I know that Firefox will remain opensource.

2. I like the Gecko engine and the way firefox renders websites. Don't talk to me about the Acid test, and how Konqueror "won", because pages look better in Firefox imho.

3.There seem to be more and better quality themes in Firefox and nice extensions.

However, it does have its own problems. Number 1, it is a bit sluggish. 2, it takes up a helluva lot of memory, 3...Opera's default theme is better.

I used Opera when FF 1.5 was crashing on me every 5 secs. I can't say I didn't like it, but now that I fixed FF, I am using Firefox fulltime now.

Whether it is at the peak of its popularity is another question. The rate of adoption may have slowed, but personally, I think that it will continue slowing, unless IE7 has a round of security flaws etc.

orev
February 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Firefox since its opensource

Opera is propiery, and that means the developer doent have time to develop for 64 bit:(
or doent care:/

Didn't realize Opera wasn't developing for 64 bit....stupid...

I understand that they are not open source....but neither is MS and they certainly have market share...! (I would rather an open source browser won!!!)

JAwuku
February 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I tend to use Opera, as I found that it is more compatible with sites which depend on IE, such as the Odeon Cinemas website (http://www.odeon.co.uk)

nrwilk
February 7th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I have to say I really like both.

I've been a Firefox user for a while now, but recently I tried Opera, and I liked it a whole lot. I'm sure that it's faster than Firefox (on my system at least).

I'd use both, except that there is a bug in Opera which prevents it from being used on any kernel which was compiled with gcc4. This is extremely annoying for me, because my kernel is compiled with gcc4.

I love Firefox's themes and extensions, and while Opera has a wide variety of themes, the extensions are the real deal breaker.

Also, I can't get anyone to tell me how to get Mplayer to work with Opera. I know it's possible, but I also know that there are a bunch of other people on these forums who can't make Mplayer work with Opera.

There's something about Opera which I really like. It just seems very solid.

In the end it's Firefox's open source which wins me over, and Opera's proprietary code which deters me.

Finally, I don't think that the mobile (phones, PDAs, etc.) browser market actually IS that big at all. Most services charge extra for that capability on their phones, and so I know no one who uses it. My phone has the ability, but I've never used it because it's so expensive (this is Verizon). So, I don't think that Opera's mobile "lite" client will have much of any impact on Opera's user base.

just my duo-sense (du scents? :p )

orev
February 7th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Ok.. I will keep this short:
Firefox is popular because it is open-source and a damn good browser. I has all the extensions any regular user could ask for and is highly customizable. It works on most websites and is pretty safe. Do I like it YES! Is it perfect..NO! But which Software is?
Coming to Opera... I first used it when it became free... and eversince It has been my fav. browser. Its so damn fast and the interface just gets me ..dont get me wrong...firefox has some amazing skins too. But its opera's speed that takes the cake in my plate. And with the next release of opera supporting widgets..I see a lot of possibilties for this browser in the near future.

No-way!! With so much development going on and so many developers taking time to improve firefox... I think it is safe to say that firefox would continue to rise.

In the end..its all good for users like me...I have more options to use the one I like (or feel like on a certain day). And for some...use the browser which best fits their needs.

I have been using both lately too. Opera sure does seem FAST! It renders some pages (to me) better than FF, but text not as well.(?)

For a few days I thought I might go Opera only(ish), but then I started getting home sick for FF...

Lord Illidan
February 7th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Finally, I don't think that the mobile (phones, PDAs, etc.) browser market actually IS that big at all. Most services charge extra for that capability on their phones, and so I know no one who uses it. My phone has the ability, but I've never used it because it's so expensive (this is Verizon). So, I don't think that Opera's mobile "lite" client will have much of any impact on Opera's user base.

I am not sure about this. As of now, the market certainly seems quite small, but it will expand. And don't forget that most phones, PDAs etc can now use wifi, or will use it, which means that we won't have to depend on WAP, thank goodness... but we will need a good mobile browser, so the market will probably expand, if not explode in future.

Also, as much as I like Firefox, if it doesn't slim down a major lot, it will never kick off on a phone/pda.

orev
February 7th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I am not sure about this. As of now, the market certainly seems quite small, but it will expand. And don't forget that most phones, PDAs etc can now use wifi, or will use it, which means that we won't have to depend on WAP, thank goodness... but we will need a good mobile browser, so the market will probably expand, if not explode in future.

Also, as much as I like Firefox, if it doesn't slim down a major lot, it will never kick off on a phone/pda.

In my opinion, and from what I have read (around the internet - ALWAYS the most reliable source:rolleyes: ), this is the year that the mobile internet is really going to start to - if not - explode (using your word). Mobile phones far out number PCs and network bandwidth, through carriers such as Verison and Sprint, now are capable or real data transfer.

Opera, is already rolling out with several of the new pieces of mobile internet hardware - most of the ones not using IE...I hope we're not heading toward more of a closed source future! I like choice as much as the next guy! (and open source!)

Lord Illidan
February 7th, 2006, 11:42 PM
In my opinion, and from what I have read (around the internet - ALWAYS the most reliable source:rolleyes: ), this is the year that the mobile internet is really going to start to - if not - explode (using your word). Mobile phones far out number PCs and network bandwidth, through carriers such as Verison and Sprint, now are capable or real data transfer.

Opera, is already rolling out with several of the new pieces of mobile internet hardware - most of the ones not using IE...I hope we're not heading toward more of a closed source future! I like choice as much as the next guy! (and open source!)

Imho, wifi is really going to push it when it comes to mobile phones. Imagine going near a hotspot and being able to browse from your mobile. No need to pay heavy dosh to carriers..

nrwilk
February 7th, 2006, 11:43 PM

You know, I think you're right. The wireless companies don't have a solid reason for not using existing Wifi hotspots. The pursuit of money isn't a solid enough reason (though I may be completely wrong about this, hehe). So, I agree. That market will definitely get much bigger than it is now. I would like to say, though, that I can't think of much stuff I want to browse on a screen that tiny (not to mention that there aren't very many sites which would FIT on a screen that tiny). But I am definitely an exception in many aspects of the IT world.

Maybe they'll write a lite browser from scratch to compete?

EDIT:
Imho, wifi is really going to push it when it comes to mobile phones. Imagine going near a hotspot and being able to browse from your mobile. No need to pay heavy dosh to carriers..
EXACTLY.

kubuntuman
February 9th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Firefox. Why? One word:
Adblock-extension

:mrgreen:

kingsidy
February 9th, 2006, 10:32 AM
firefox because although i like opera, i can customize firefox way more.

houdeanis
February 9th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I've been using Firefox since 0.9 and I like it alot. I just recently installed Opera and was amazed at how fast it was, Firefox is still my main browser though. However I think the more you add on to Firefox the more bogged down it becomes, i.e. certain tweaks in fasterfox and other extensions. Not to mention the memory usage of Firefox if you have a lot of tabs open. I love Firefox and will continue using it but I still think there are some bugs to be worked out.

Jucato
February 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Definitely Firefox, for it's open-source and it's themes and extensions. I tried Opera for a few days (current version and the 2 previews), and I was not that impressed. It was faster and lighter, but on over-all performance, I still prefer Firefox. Opera's widgets seem intriguing, but I find that it clutters up the window too much. Sure doesn't beat Firefox's extensions.

However, I've been using Konqueror for a few weeks now, and aside from a few quirks here and there, I'm quite satisfied with it. Maybe if Firefox slimmed down its resource hunger and if someone developed a way to integrate it with KDE/GNOME as an alternative file manager, then I'm totally and 100% going over to the foxes. :D

Colonel Kilkenny
February 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Opera user since version "5.something" and no way I'm even trying to use Firefox. Of course if I have to test webpages quickly or do something like that, then firefox is okay.
Opera is faster, lighter and so polished that I honestly don't know any other program which could compete for an example in GUI responsiveness with Opera. If I use Firefox to do something I instantly notice that some sort of slugginess (is that even a word?) and little delays.
Firefox is good browser, but I just don't have use for it. Like I don't have much use for Konqueror either. Before Opera 9 TP 2 the only thing why firefox could have been better choice for me was that adblocker. Now it's integrated in Opera. With firefox I need to download extensions and tweak it, Opera has it all integrated. I have also noticed that people think that Opera cannot be customized like Firefox and that isn't the full truth. Maybe the need customization isn't so high but with opera:config and other places you tweak Opera quite much. I haven't done anything to my Opera (http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/7307/opera28so.png) (except downloaded Web Developer toolbars and menus + some panels and skins.

So for me it's the little things. If you change skin in Opera no restart is needed and things like that. Open Source, closed source. It's all the same for me, if program really works. But as always the most important thing is to give a try to other options and then choose the best for your needs.

bailout
February 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Opera on windows and linux for about three years.

Why use a poor copy when you can use the real thing? ;)

Jucato
February 10th, 2006, 01:26 AM
My only issue with Opera was that it's customization process was quite non-intuitive. For example, when I first installed it on Kubuntu, I get a message about some plugins that needed to be installed/configured everytime I start Opera. It says it can be fixed by going to the plugins menu. I click it, and lo and behold I get a webpage for opera:plugins (if I remember correctly). Now how do you go about configuring that? Also, setting up keyboard shortcuts it a bit tricky at first. The preferences dialog is also a bit too cluttered for me. And the widgets stuff I still don't understand the reason for added clutter.

On the other hand, Firefox, which was famous for it's ad blocking, needs to have this feature built-in, following Opera and Konqueror's lead. It would help if Firefox slimmed down a bit. I guess that's the reason for it's sluggishness (I think this is the proper word).

OT: what is Opera's rendering engine?

dotancohen
February 10th, 2006, 09:17 AM
OT: what is Opera's rendering engine?

Their own. it's proprietary.

Colonel Kilkenny
February 10th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Their own. it's proprietary.
And it's called Presto.
Used in Macromedia Dreamweaver and in some Adobe programs also.

TrendyDark
February 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I'd use Firefox over Opera anyday, for a few reasons. Firefox is open source, that's a big plus in my book, but the big reason is that I use Linux and I'm lazy. To get support for Flash, Video, Sound, etc in Opera under Linux takes time and effort that I just don't see the need for.

Don't get me wrong though, Opera is GREAT! MUCH MUCH Faster than Firefox or IE, but I just have no motivation to install the plugins by hand.

Colonel Kilkenny
February 10th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Don't get me wrong though, Opera is GREAT! MUCH MUCH Faster than Firefox or IE, but I just have no motivation to install the plugins by hand.
I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but my Opera searches plugins from other browsers folders also and if there is plugin(s) to use, it will use it/them. I haven't done anything manually, I think. Except pressed that "find new plugins-button".
Flash, video and sound are working properly.

Or what part did I miss?

SMF
February 20th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Do you prefer Firefor or Opera as your browser with Ubuntu?

I love Opera but I am still having trouble with the Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
What I am looking for is other Opera enthusiast.:mrgreen:
But if most of you are Firefoxers then I might have to switch so I can be on the same page as most. Gotta run with the crowd you know:rolleyes:

hegenious
February 20th, 2006, 11:44 PM
first vote: firefox oc.
\\:D/

xtacocorex
February 20th, 2006, 11:56 PM
One day, I screwed up Firefox, so I installed Opera and it didn't work. So I'm still a Firefox user, but would definately try Opera if I could.

That was a pretty lame story.

jbmalone
February 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM
I just really like Firefox better. I used Opera a little bit and didn't really care for it.

SMF
February 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM
One day, I screwed up Firefox, so I installed Opera and it didn't work. So I'm still a Firefox user, but would definately try Opera if I could.

That was a pretty lame story.

Actualy, that is not a lame story. Was the reason why I posted this is so that people who use Opera can help out other Opera users. I already had Allan teach me how to install the flash plug-in for Opera. I am now stuck on installing Java Vitual Machine for certain applets on the net. I have tried several times and I now got as far as messing with the Synaptic Manager/Repositories and switching the universe multiverse part but something still eludes me. I hope I can find someone that has been successful in this area.

Anyways. What happend to you and your Opera?

:confused:

I realy have nothing against Firefox other than I will go plug in crazy but I might just have to go the firefox way or switch when wanting to use java applets features of certain sites.

Peace.

thoffland
February 21st, 2006, 12:13 AM
For me Firefox seems to load faster.

darkbullet87
February 21st, 2006, 12:17 AM
I like firefox, but in the same respect I've only used Operal minimly. It reminds me to much of IE and I have nightmares whenever I'm forced to use IE *shudders* LOL

Lord Illidan
February 21st, 2006, 12:25 AM
I like Firefox and will remain with Firefox. The reasons being:

1. Firefox is opensource
2. I like the interface more than Opera's.
3. It does not give me any problems, so why should I change??

darkbullet87
February 21st, 2006, 12:29 AM
Does anyone here have experience using Firefox on myspace? Because I've heard a few people saying that their FF browser crashed on myspace a lot. I've never had that problem, but I was just curious as to if it was a commonly occuring thing and I"m just lucky or if there was something else up with firefox.

Tipo
February 21st, 2006, 12:35 AM
Firefox.

Opera's interface is just way too confusing for the occasionally simple-minded one, such as myself:)

totfit
February 21st, 2006, 03:29 AM
Opera was my favorite browser in Windows XP. With Ubuntu Firefox is much faster all the way around than Opera. I have also been unable to get video plugins to work with Opera. I guess for now at least my vote goes with Firefox, though I still use Opera on occasion. I also like Konqueror.

Madpilot
February 21st, 2006, 04:02 AM
I've used Opera (in Windows) since before the Fox even existed, so I've never bothered much with Firefox.

I've been running Opera on Ubuntu since I switched, and it's been pretty painless. Flash works, Java works, and the various media things work about as well as Firefox's seem to in Linux. (ie not quite perfectly...)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OperaBrowser has all sorts of good advice for Opera-in-Ubuntu, so you can combine the greatest distro with the greatest browser!

(Oh, and the Opera 9 beta release seems very, very cool, and fairly stable in Ubuntu Breezy, if anyone is inclined to try it out!)

xtacocorex
February 21st, 2006, 04:10 AM
Anyways. What happend to you and your Opera?

I installed it from the Opera website with the Ubuntu .deb they provided and I have no clue what happened since I've manually installed .deb files before, it installed correctly, but when I tried running it from kmenu and the command line, it wouldn't do anything.

I ended up uninstalling it the other day due to the fact that it wasn't working and I didn't want to mess around with trying to get it to work. It was pain enough trying to get Firefox working again after it screwed itself up. I ended up breaking away from the repos by getting version 1.5.1 to work [after about 2 hours of work].

I don't know what I did to screw up Firefox initially, but I had it shaded while I was working on research for my senior Aerospace presentation at the end of this semester, and I guess the load on my system caused some programs to fault themselves without warning me. I have no clue why they would do this, but Firefox was open one minute and closed the next and I was left wondering where it went as I needed to look at a page I had opened.

Don't let this worry you as I was being pretty taxing on my system when this all happened and I'm used to breaking stuff.

If you do switch to Firefox, definately look up the HowTo for the non-repo version. It's a decent bit faster.

Does anyone here have experience using Firefox on myspace?

I look up MySpace on my Firefox all the time and I have no problems. There are the occasional error messages, but I just figured they were server side since there are a lot of users on MySpace at any given time.

gord
February 21st, 2006, 04:18 AM
id love to love opera, but it seems to have far too many buttons i don't care about and its just a little overwhelming for an internet browser, kinda like mozilla was until it got re-designed into firefox.

SMF
February 21st, 2006, 04:43 AM
I installed it from the Opera website with the Ubuntu .deb they provided and I have no clue what happened since I've manually installed .deb files before, it installed correctly, but when I tried running it from kmenu and the command line, it wouldn't do anything.

I ended up uninstalling it the other day due to the fact that it wasn't working and I didn't want to mess around with trying to get it to work. It was pain enough trying to get Firefox working again after it screwed itself up. I ended up breaking away from the repos by getting version 1.5.1 to work [after about 2 hours of work].

I don't know what I did to screw up Firefox initially, but I had it shaded while I was working on research for my senior Aerospace presentation at the end of this semester, and I guess the load on my system caused some programs to fault themselves without warning me. I have no clue why they would do this, but Firefox was open one minute and closed the next and I was left wondering where it went as I needed to look at a page I had opened.

Don't let this worry you as I was being pretty taxing on my system when this all happened and I'm used to breaking stuff.

If you do switch to Firefox, definately look up the HowTo for the non-repo version. It's a decent bit faster.

I look up MySpace on my Firefox all the time and I have no problems. There are the occasional error messages, but I just figured they were server side since there are a lot of users on MySpace at any given time.

Well this helps any Automatix has the working Opera. At least this was all I did to get Opera running was use Automatix and I have to admit that Automatix truly rules. Just set it and forget it :)

Coelocanth
February 21st, 2006, 04:55 AM
I'm currently using both. I installed Opera a few days ago and will give it a test run for a couple of weeks. Then I'll decide which I'm going to stick with. I'm more familiar with Firefox, as I used that as my browser in Windows (I just recently switched to Linux - woo hoo!) , so I want to give Opera a fair chance. So far there are things I really like about both of them and they also each have some quirks I don't really care for. No clear winner yet.

Jessehk
February 21st, 2006, 05:18 AM
I am using the Version 9 preview 2 release of Opera and it is really amazing.

Ad-blocking, easy keyword searching (which I missed from firefox), a new configuration page, full Qt support, tab previews, all in less then half the size of firefox.

Plus, I love the way Opera includes a mail, news-feed, and IRC client.
The preview release is amazing, and they even offer Ubuntu packages for the standard release (I think it's 8.51).

Opera has surpassed Firefox, and no amount of open-source zealot-ness (is that a word? ) will convince me otherwise after I have experienced what the latest Opera version will offer.

m.musashi
February 21st, 2006, 06:41 AM
I voted for Firefox but to be honest I've had a hard time moving away from IE. I first started to play with Firefox about a year ago but only used it from time to time. However, the more I use ubuntu the more I've gotten used to Firefox and even in Windows I've now set Firefox to be the default browser and I deleted my IE shortcuts. Since doing that about two weeks ago I've been 100% Firefox. As for Opera I installed it with Automatix but only played with it a few times.

MadL
February 21st, 2006, 06:51 AM
Firefox. I've been using it (and the Mozilla suite before that) for a couple of years now. During work, I use a few websites with menus and other features that don't quite work right with Opera (though, of course, many of them didn't work too well with Firefox/Mozilla until recently, but they didn't break as badly). I also like the extensions and the search plug-ins you can add to Firefox.

Not that I don't like Opera -- from what I've seen, it's got some great features (though I never did get the hulabaloo over mouse gestures; I prefer keyboard shortcuts myself), and it's always good to have competition keeping the Mozilla folk on their toes. :) Right now, though, I'm happy with Firefox and don't see a need to change.

purdy hate machine
February 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM
Opera is my default browser, email client and RSS handler. It does everything I need without having to install any additional extensions. I find it a lot faster than the Fox and I don’t think I have ever had a single unwanted pop-up while using Opera.
As a secondary or backup browser I would choose Konqueror.

stoffepojken
February 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM
Epiphany. Better Gnome integration than firefox and opera

Perfect Storm
February 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
Also Epiphany,

ligh'n'Fast, reliable and good intergration in the gnome envoriment.

unbutuju
February 21st, 2006, 10:40 AM
Started several years ago with the mozilla, then Firefox came and I switched, have it in every single machine I layed my hands on :-), clients, friends, relatives you name it :-) till now none of them has complained :-)

I have tried many, in Linux or Other OS, several distros and ended up always with Firefox!

Thanks too all who made - maintain - and distribute IT

cheers

carverj
February 21st, 2006, 11:31 AM
Thought Opera was the bees knees until computer crashed the other night. am still using it just in case using xine at the same time caused the problem. :mad:
shame. I like the way opera works and its much faster than my current firefox

jm2003uk
February 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM
I'm a firefox user too. Tried opera the other evening and i just don't like the way it laid out. Plus you get that annoying banner at the top saying 'if you buy me this will disappear'.

And firefox just works.

meborc
February 21st, 2006, 12:03 PM
firefox... just used to it i guess... but then again... why scratch when it doesn't itch?

gabhla
February 21st, 2006, 12:56 PM
I voted Opera. Been using it for years, and guess I'm just used to it.

exclipy
February 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM
I love my Opera! It's like Firefox, with all of your favourite extensions built into the one small package. Things integrate beautifully together and the interface is more powerful and customisable than Firefox's. Oh, and it's lightning quick (http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html) too.

Lanrond
February 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM
Epiphany here.

I started using it and I never felt any need to change.
I tried with Firefox (which I had used before on other platforms), but found no major improvements.
I dislike Opera interface.

cotcot
February 21st, 2006, 02:37 PM
I voted opera. I used FF for years and it was sometimes slow untill 1.5 came out. FF1.5 is fine. Opera is open source since 10/2005. I tried it, experienced a very good forum and appreciate that i can read my mail leaving it on the server and without opening a separate email program. We run dual boot as my wife and kids are not (yet) used to linux. Under XP we have FF and Thunderbird.

purdy hate machine
February 21st, 2006, 03:13 PM
I'm a firefox user too. Tried opera the other evening and i just don't like the way it laid out. Plus you get that annoying banner at the top saying 'if you buy me this will disappear'.

Where on earth did you download that from? Opera has been free (as in beer) and banner ad free for some time now.

Opera for Linux (http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/index.dml?platform=linux)

cjm5229
February 21st, 2006, 10:43 PM
I've been using Firefox since version 0.4 or maybe it was .3. I have tried Opera and I do have it installed in Breezy as a backup in case I break something, but I just never liked it. It is NOT opensource it is stii Proprietory software, just free. Apparently they finally figured out what it is worth. It is like IE you get it the way they want you to have it not the way you want it. With Firefox You can add what ever you want to it or not add it if that's your choice. If there is something you want it to do but nobody has made an extension to do it, well nothing stops you from making your own. Try that with opera.\\:D/

Christopher
March 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Firefox for me, I find that Epiphany is alot slower then Firefox.

Danny Boy
March 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I've used both FF and Opera on XP. I tried installing Opera on Ubuntu with no luck (newbie stupidity) I liked Opera at first but then I realized I almost never use an email client, I might check my ISP mail once a week, I went back to FF & TB around the time 1.5 came out and haven't looked back. I had no luck installing 1.5 on U either but I'll figure it out. :)

3rdalbum
March 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I'm running Epiphany on an older computer, and it seems to run quicker than Firefox, especially when a link opens in a new window.

So yeah, I use Epiphany. The only thing I miss is the popup blocking, but then I don't really go to many sites with popups.

Mr Green
March 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Opera!

The instructions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OperaBrowser worked for me.

Mr Green
March 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM
If there is something you want it to do but nobody has made an extension to do it, well nothing stops you from making your own. Try that with opera.\\:D/

Or you could just develop your own browser, it's not like it takes skills or anything...

zkissane
March 17th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I use Opera. Native mouse gestures FTW!

Although, if the OP is still looking, I didn't get the JavaVM to work right (in Linux) with Opera either, though I didn't try very hard.

WoodyMahan
March 18th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Firefox for me.

arsenic23
April 25th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I'm just curious, why do *you* prefer Firefox over Opera?

Rikostan
April 25th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Part of the reason for me was the fact Opera wasn't free until just recently.... I know they had a "free" version bundled with ads, but I don't like ads on pages, I sure didn't want them in my browser.
Now I am comfortable with Firefox. I still check out each new version of Opera that comes out, but it doesn't offer me anything I can't get with Firefox.

az
April 25th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Opera is proprietary.

That means it isn't free-libre. I do not have the freedom to use, obtain the source code, modify it and redistribute it. It is someone else's property instead of it being everybody's property.

Bloch
April 25th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I used opera for a while because I tested it and it was always a couple of seconds faster than firefox. But watching the occasional video clip is part and parcel of browsing these days, and I found it awkward to start up a second browser when I was taking a break and wanted to watch a news clip.

I wasted three hours at one stage trying to get plug-ins to work in opera with a limited amount of success.

If I am looking for pictures I will use dillo. It's a pleasure to use something so small and fast.

gingermark
April 25th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I think the other reason is that Firefox is free as in open-source.

Personally, I love Opera. I even used it with the ads, just because I liked it so much. I've tried to use Firefox a few times, but for my sins, Opera just suits me down the ground.

And when they use the Firefox API and ALL the plugins work properly, it'll be damn near perfect.

And when they release it under an open-source license it WILL be perfect! :)

teet
April 25th, 2006, 01:36 AM
I've installed Opera a few different times, but honestly I've never really given it a fair shake.

Firefox does everything that I want it to do. Plus, I absolutely love my adblock+ and filterset.g extensions. Opera doesn't have an adblocking "extension" does it?

Let me put it this way: it took a long time for me to switch over from using IE when I used Windows. The reason being that none of the other browsers I used were clearly better than IE (in my opinion) until I found firefox. So I must ask you this: What advantage does Opera have over Firefox? I've heard that it's faster, but I couldn't tell much of a difference on my machine.

-teet

wylfing
April 25th, 2006, 01:42 AM
I absolutely love my adblock+ and filterset.g extensions.

That's my reason for using Firefox: the extensions.

arsenic23
April 25th, 2006, 01:44 AM
There isn't a huge difference. Opera's a little faster and Firefox is open source. That's pretty much it.

I've used Opera since it first came out and don't really see a reason to go over to firefox. In fact, the first time I used firefox and it popped open a new window for a popup, I was right turned off on it, even though I've since learned that you can tweak it to behave a little more like Opera. I guess it just boils down to what your used too. ( and that's pretty much what everyone seems to be saying, give or take )

gingermark
April 25th, 2006, 01:47 AM
So I must ask you this: What advantage does Opera have over Firefox? I've heard that it's faster, but I couldn't tell much of a difference on my machine.-teet

For me, I prefer the interface. I'm just used to it. And it does feel faster to me. Or more accurately, Firefox feels sluggish.

Extensions aside, Opera has more configuration options.

These are the reasons I prefer it. That said, I still recommend Firefox to IE users, because it's open source, and perfectly adequate.

It's just personal preference really.

If you do fancy having a go with Opera again, version 9 beta is pretty nice.

EDIT:

the first time I used firefox and it popped open a new window for a popup, I was right turned off on it, even though I've since learned that you can tweak it to behave a little more like Opera
Ditto!! :)

Super King
April 25th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Opera just does not work well with a fair numbers of sites I visit in terms of page rendering. It's nice that it's fast but if the page is unreadable then it doesn't do much good. Also, the back/forward browser and mouse scrolling buttons on my Thinkpad do not work in Opera out of the box.

gr0kzer0
April 25th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Like many of the other posters in this thread, part of the reason I prefer Firefox is because it's Free/Open Source Software. Since taking to Linux, I try to use FOSS solutions wherever possible. There's no reason to use a proprietary browser when Firefox is freely available.

When I was using Windows, I used OPera in preference to Internet Explorer. It is a very nice browser. I haven't used it in Linux, but if it's anything like the Windows version, it could very likely give Firefox a run for its money - _if_ it were FOSS.

As is stands though, I have no reason to try it.

mjm115
April 25th, 2006, 02:59 AM
I agree. The fact that Opera is not open-source is a major turn-away for me. I prefer Firefox for this fact along with the extensions that are available.

adamkane
April 25th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Firefox is FOSS, and you can streamline firefox or mess it up to your personal taste.

Does Opera have live bookmarks? (RSS feeds that can be quickly added as bookmarks.)

timsch75
April 25th, 2006, 04:28 AM
I prefer opera only because you can go back and forward with the 'z' & 'x' If firefox could do such a thing, I'd go with it.

RAV TUX
April 25th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I prefer opera only because you can go back and forward with the 'z' & 'x' If firefox could do such a thing, I'd go with it.

did you search the Firefox extensions? I'm sure you can add that functionality.

:mrgreen:

aysiu
April 25th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Extensions aside, Opera has more configuration options. For me, there is no "[e]xtensions aside"--the extensions are a big part of what makes Firefox my browser of choice.

tdwester
April 25th, 2006, 06:49 AM
I like oprea it just seems to work with out having to download anything and I love the built in mail function.

purdy hate machine
April 25th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I assume the majority prefer it as it’s the default browser in Ubuntu.
Three major reasons I chose Opera,

Speed: I have always found Opera to be a lot faster than Firefox

Popup blocker: I have never had a single unwanted pop up while browsing with Opera.

Functionality: Everything I need is built into Opera as standard, I don’t have to mess around with extensions and bolt on’s to get it to play nicely.

Konqueror would be my next browser of choice if Opera was not available.

aysiu
April 25th, 2006, 08:06 AM
I assume the majority prefer it as it’s the default browser in Ubuntu. I think you may have your cause and effect mixed up here. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=88085)

Speed: I have always found Opera to be a lot faster than Firefox No doubt about it. I haven't found Firefox to be slow, but Opera is most certainly faster.

Popup blocker: I have never had a single unwanted pop up while browsing with Opera. If you install the NoScript extension in Firefox, you'll never have an unwanted pop-up there either.

Functionality: Everything I need is built into Opera as standard, I don’t have to mess around with extensions and bolt on’s to get it to play nicely. Unfortunately, everything I need is not built into Opera, and I find myself turning off a lot of stuff in Opera I find useless (the many panels, the mouse gestures, the page zooming). I'd rather start with vanilla Firefox and add only the extensions I want.

purdy hate machine
April 25th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I think you may have your cause and effect mixed up here. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=88085)

I don’t think so, IE is still the popular browser among Windows users simply because its there by default. I don’t think a survey of Linux users is a very good example in this case.

If you install the NoScript extension in Firefox, you'll never have an unwanted pop-up there either.
My third point exactly.

Sef
April 25th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I like both and use both though I use firefox more. One feature that Opera that I would like in firefox is the 'open in background.' I don't always want to jump to the new tab right away.

xenmax
April 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I switched to Firefox in Windows at work(my first job) almost immediately. I really loved the Tabs and the extensions that IE6 does not have and the fact that is open source. Before that, i never had internet at home, but the moment i got internet at home, the *first* thing i downloaded was firefox.
A few months ago, i installed my first linux [Breezy] install at home and it was just natural to continue using Firefox which i had been doing since a year by that time.
So, i never felt like looking for an alternative, now that i hear that it is free, i may try it sometime when i'm really bored or something.

Just4
April 25th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I personally use both Firefox and Opera in Windows, but I started using Firefox first, I likr it due to the fact its pretty bare-bones out of the box, so it makes it rather easy for me to just have the features I want, without having to disable anything, where as others have noted, with Opera I have to disable quite a bit to get it to my taste, both browsers are great, I haven't used opera in Linux yet, I may test it out eventually, but right now I am happy with Firefox.

stig
April 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM
On Windows I switched from IE to Opera and loved it. When I tried Firefox it suited me much less.

Now on Ubuntu I am using Firefox because it's there - I installed Opera but was not as impressed as when it was on Windows. But this thread has prompted me to launch it again - and it looks better now (maybe that's just subjective though!).

But the biggest problem for me with browsers is not Firefox versus Opera but when will I be able to access my bank accounts with them on Linux? (I run a small business and have several UK bank accounts with internet access.) In Windows I can access them all with IE and Opera but not Firefox. In Linux I can't access any of the accounts with Opera, Firefox, Konqueror or Epiphany.

I know the banks don't make enough effort to make their web pages accessible from non-IE browsers but that knowledge doesn't help me. They are not happy with non-IE browsers and very unhappy with Linux!

Even if I could run everything else in my business on Linux I would still have to have a Windows computer to access the bank accounts.

Reggaeton King
April 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I think both web browsers are great. I just use Firefox more. If they had a Netscape for Linux, I would install that one too.

aysiu
April 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I don’t think so, IE is still the popular browser among Windows users simply because its there by default. I don’t think a survey of Linux users is a very good example in this case. I don't think so. You originally said:
I assume the majority prefer it as it’s the default browser in Ubuntu. So you're already talking about Linux users (specifically Ubuntu users).

Your point was that people answering this thread (Ubuntu users) are answering Firefox because Ubuntu has Firefox as the default browser. My point is that most of the Ubuntu users here used Firefox before using Ubuntu.

RAV TUX
April 26th, 2006, 02:17 AM
The Galleon and Epiphany Browsers are both better then Opera.:-({|=

maduranga
May 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM
:confused: hey ppls.......

i saw that most linux users are using firefox and it seems they love it.... But i've found that the opera browser for linux getting biger, attractive and being cool...... So? what is ur idea? Opera? firefox?? or anyother??? - give reasons.

Maduranga.....

tsb
May 6th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Firefox with the Tab Mix Plus extension is what I like now. I always have flash rendering issues with some sites with Opera. FF just misses the "save for entire server" password feature I like, but it makes up for it. On XP I always use Opera.

testube_babies
May 6th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I'm with tsb on this one. In XP, I only use Opera. But in Ubuntu, Opera is ugly and difficult to get working correctly. Even though Opera is slightly faster, I prefer the ease and look of Firefox in Ubuntu.

aysiu
May 6th, 2006, 06:31 PM
To each her own.

Firefox works for me, but if people want to use Opera, it's their right.

GuitarHero
May 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I like Opera 9 Beta on XP, its the first version of opera ive liked. I have been a firefox user for a while though, so using firefox on ubuntu is fine with me because it came installed with the OS.

tsb
May 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM
anyone know how to get 'paste and go' on FF?

aysiu
May 6th, 2006, 07:33 PM
anyone know how to get 'paste and go' on FF? Maybe this extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=65) might help?

sYs^
May 6th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Since FireFox is like FireTurtle on Dapper, I use Opera 9.
It's much faster, but some pages aren't working well with it.

biguns
May 6th, 2006, 08:15 PM
IMHO, Opera is actually the better browser, although it is a bit bloated. I still use Firefox because it plays so well with Linux. If Opera became a little more streamlined and portable I would switch in a heartbeat.

We do have to give credit to Firefox, it is the reason Opera made thier browser free!

dapperjohndoe
May 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
:confused: hey ppls.......

i saw that most linux users are using firefox and it seems they love it.... But i've found that the opera browser for linux getting biger, attractive and being cool...... So? what is ur idea? Opera? firefox?? or anyother??? - give reasons.

Maduranga.....
apt-get install opera did not work, so I forgot about Opera...

John

dmizer
May 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
i use firefox for one primary reason ... the adblock extension. i like how opera works, but i hate to look at ads.

sYs^
May 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM
apt-get install opera did not work, so I forgot about Opera...

John

Oh, it so hard to install Opera, you will have to download the .deb package MANUALLY.

http://opera.com/download/linux/

Select Ubuntu and download the package then

sudo dpkg -i the_package.deb
and you're ready.

deathshadow
May 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM
For me, Opera has been a godsend because in my experience Firefox and ALL gecko browsers, pretty much since Mozilla was at 0.9 has been buggy to say the least, a royal pain in the *** at best.

All the gecko based browsers on all operating systems on multiple CPU platforms in my experience leak memory like a sieve, hog CPU like crazy, and crash so badly you are lucky if you can get enough free cpu to actually kill their task. I can sit down at ANY machine running firefox and crash it in 20 minutes of what I consider 'normal' use... and after my experience on bugzilla reporting these problems, where it went unconfirmed for two years and when I called them on it, they best they could come up with was to take me to task for using the term 'crashed' instead of 'hung' - a distinction I've not heard in 30+ years of computing.

Which is pretty much why I say {censored} firefox and the open source horse it rode in on, and actively campaign AGAINST it's use.

Opera on the other hand - I often laugh at the most common two complaints I hear:

First, it's not open source - Sorry, but big {censored} deal, get a life and move out of your parents basement.

Second, the lack of plugin support - Sorry, but most of the stuff people ask about for plugins is already BUILT IN - AND it's smaller with those 'features' included; and getting smaller all the time.

AND IT'S STABLE, something I surely haven't been able to say about firefox or any other gecko based browser... Hell Opera Beta's (which are unstable) are more stable in my experience than the firefox final releases.

AND it's got MORE options for customization built in, like the favicon buttons and ability to PROGRAM YOUR OWN BUTTONS - much less the ability to create a button on a web page and drag/drop it onto your toolbar:

http://nontroppo.org/wiki/CustomButtons

So for me, Opera it is on all the platforms I use, at least until something better comes along... Mind you I have to use ALL the different browsers because I moonlight as a web coder, and need to TEST how my pages appear in the top four browser engines (KHTML, Gecko, IE, Opera) before unleashing it on the public, so they are all present - but Opera is first and foremost my weapon of choice.

aysiu
May 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM
First, it's not open source - Sorry, but big {censored} deal, get a life and move out of your parents basement. Contrary to public belief, Ubuntu doesn't mean lack of humanity toward others.

deathshadow
May 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Contrary to public belief, Ubuntu doesn't mean lack of humanity toward others.
Well, as much as I love Ubuntu (a debian baseline without the bull) - the goofy names and 'dirty {censored} hippy' linux attitude does get a bit too touchy-feely for old George; Hell, those dumbasses smiling in a circle on the main website makes me want to slap somebody silly...

(that's called a sense of humor people, you should get one, they're nice!)

_linux_
May 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Firefox all the way!!!!!! :KS

Kyle-
May 7th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I was a diehard FF user, but decided to try Opera. I don't think I'll ever go back because Opera is freaking rediculously fast. Firefox now seems to take forever to load pages, I can't stand it. I felt like I upgraded my internet connection when I switched. I do miss some of the add-on functionality of FF, but the speed difference more than makes up for it.

biguns
May 7th, 2006, 02:36 AM
(that's called a sense of humor people, you should get one, they're nice!)

Well said... I LOL when I read this and took it the way it was meant.

towsonu2003
May 7th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Since FireFox is like FireTurtle on Dapper
lol

I can sit down at ANY machine running firefox and crash it in 20 minutes of what I consider 'normal' use... and after my experience on bugzilla reporting these problems, where it went unconfirmed for two years and when I called them on it, they best they could come up with was to take me to task for using the term 'crashed' instead of 'hung' - a distinction I've not heard in 30+ years of computing.

To my knowledge, a reproducable crash is a DoS attack (denial of service) and is a security issue. If bug reporting doesn't work with them, post those bugs to the public using various sites like digg.com, forums, security sites, and so on.

In digg.com, for instance, a "HowTo Crash Firefox in 20 Ways" might get you the frontpage...

AND IT'S STABLE, something I surely haven't been able to say about firefox or any other gecko based browser... Hell Opera Beta's (which are unstable) are more stable in my experience than the firefox final releases.
agreed -and in Linux, the instability is 2x as it is in Windows...

Mind you I have to use ALL the different browsers because I moonlight as a web coder, and need to TEST how my pages appear in the top four browser engines (KHTML, Gecko, IE, Opera) before unleashing it on the public, so they are all present - but Opera is first and foremost my weapon of choice. I wish everyone did such testing...

tsb
May 7th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Maybe this extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=65) might help?

perfect, thanks

23meg
May 7th, 2006, 03:00 AM
My trivial history with Opera: I've used (yes, actually used) it from version 1 to 8, starting full time use at version 3 and dropping at 7. I favored it over Firefox, but stopped using it it because of severe and critical data loss with the well designed but unfortunately unreliable (in my experience) M2 mail client, occasional crashes with Java, inferior rendering of certain pages (DHTML mostly) and problems with Gnome GUI integration (least important). After discovering the Scrapbook (http://amb.vis.ne.jp/mozilla/scrapbook/) extension for Firefox which became the main selling point of Firefox for me, I haven't looked back. I still respect the efforts, good intentions and responsiveness of Opera Software and I hope they remain independent and open source Opera one day.

deathshadow
May 7th, 2006, 03:03 AM
I wish everyone did such testing...
Sad part is, there truly is NO excuse not to. For $50 you can run Parallels workstation under Linux or Windows and boot into the other OS, letting you actually TEST those engines.

My current setup reads:
Boot in XP
Opera 8.5
Opera 9 weekly build
Mozilla Suite 1.7
Firefox 1.0
Firefox 1.5
IE 6
IE 7 Beta
Ubuntu under Parallels
Opera 8.5
Firefox 1.5
Konqueror

and then JUST IN CASE I have a Toilet Seat 333mhz G3 iBook I can boot into OSX to see if there are any major differences between Konqueror and Safari (and differences there are!) not to mention that a lot of Mac users STILL swear by IE 5.x (while the rest of the world swears at it)

I'm hoping that soon someone will figure out how to get NETWORKING going in VMWARE player or Parallels with OS X x86 so I can do ALL my testing from one platform. I'd use PearPC, but it's just too agonizingly slow.

If you are a 'professional' THAT should be your tool list - and the sad part is you likely already HAVE a copy of windows (whether you wanted it or not) meaning the only other tool on that list that costs $$$ is going to be parallels workstation - and if you can get a pre-built image you can cut that cost out by going with VMWare player.

But again, a lot of people are running around with credentials and doing work they aren't qualified, prepared or equipped to actually DO.

DoktorSeven
May 7th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Does Opera have anything like NoScript (http://www.noscript.net/whats) -- something that blocks all JavaScript/Java/Flash and allows it per-site either permanently or temporarily, easily?

That extension is what keeps me on Firefox.

thecdn
May 19th, 2006, 01:47 PM
For me, Opera has been a godsend because in my experience Firefox and ALL gecko browsers, pretty much since Mozilla was at 0.9 has been buggy to say the least, a royal pain in the *** at best.
So for me, Opera it is on all the platforms I use, at least until something better comes along...

Great post!!! Echos my sentiments pretty much exactly. Also, when Opera 9 beta does crash, it can restart exactly where it was so it's just a momentary hiccup.

I use Opera 9 beta 2 at home and work, xp and linux and I love it.

PS George is one of my favourite military commanders in history. But I'm glad I never had to work for the man :D

dachelb
May 19th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I've used opera since version 3 or so. I love the idea of tabbed resizable browser windows. Even if a popup did manage to get through it was contained to the Opera window itself.

However in the last couple of weeks I've moved to firefox both at home and at work. After many versions and 5 or 6 years (I think???) I still have troubles with Opera not rendering pages properly. And adblock was trivial to configure on firefox. I found opera's performance on a linux box to be sub-par as well.

I never got the whole mail/news client paradigm in Opera either. I don't necessarily need an email client/newsreader integrated into my browser - much less one that even appears to be confusing to use.

thecdn
May 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I never got the whole mail/news client paradigm in Opera either. I don't necessarily need an email client/newsreader integrated into my browser - much less one that even appears to be confusing to use.

It is different and takes some getting used to I admit. But I run opera with panels displayed* and I can browse and see my mail folders and news threads at the same time. For me it's just so convenient to have everything in one package viewable at once. But of course, do what makes you happy. It's great having choices :p

* Now a real pleasure on my latest toy, a 20in Samsung 204b at 1600x1200.

CronoDekar
May 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM
i use firefox for one primary reason ... the adblock extension. i like how opera works, but i hate to look at ads.

The Opera 9 beta adds in a "Content filter" which basically functions as an adblocker -- it just doesn't make them sound anti-commercial. Opera 8.5 technically had the feature, but you had to copy the URL, open up the appropriate ini file, paste it in, save it, and close and reopen Opera. (Or employ a program which downloads a list of common ad servers and puts them in your filter.ini.)

Still not quite as good as Adblock IMO, but it's close enough for me.

Does Opera have anything like NoScript (http://www.noscript.net/whats) -- something that blocks all JavaScript/Java/Flash and allows it per-site either permanently or temporarily, easily?.

Opera 9 has it built right in, actually. You can set if you want to allow Java/JavaScript/plug-ins by default, and then in the context menu set the specific preferences you can edit site preferences for the specific server, including other stuff like popups, cookies, css, and if you want to mask your browser a certain way. Even in Opera 8+ you can hit F12 to enable/disable stuff on the fly.

No, BTW, I don't work for Opera, it's just my favorite browser :D

Pjotor
May 20th, 2006, 07:26 PM
This might be of interest:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

sinkxdie
May 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Why did you bring back a 3 month old thread.
Never do that again.

dapperjohndoe
May 30th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Oh, it so hard to install Opera, you will have to download the .deb package MANUALLY.

http://opera.com/download/linux/

Select Ubuntu and download the package then

sudo dpkg -i the_package.deb
and you're ready.apt-get is one of the main advantages of Ubuntu Linux. Why should a manuell install software?

In spite of most Windows software, manually installed Linux software does usually not include automatic deinstallation...

John

FredB
May 30th, 2006, 09:06 AM
apt-get is one of the main advantages of Ubuntu Linux. Why should a manuell install software?

In spite of most Windows software, manually installed Linux software does usually not include automatic deinstallation...

John

Well... Opera is a great software, but it left some files everywhere (or near that) in the OS.

I am a firefox trunk user, and I build it 4 times a week. And it is not horrible to uninstall. It is a simple directory I am removing.

Automatic installation / deinstallation could be great, but is it to hard to remove a simple directory ? :-k

bluenova
May 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I would use Opera, if all the websites I need to visit worked with it. Sadly for many corporate websites, I have to use Firefox, and sometimes even IE.

Fillado
May 30th, 2006, 11:09 AM
If you want to be able to apt Opera just use

### Example apt source configuration (uncomment the version you want)

# Opera Browser - Production release
#deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free
#deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ testing non-free
#deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ unstable non-free

# Opera Browser - Beta release
#deb http://deb.opera.com/opera-beta/ stable non-free
#deb http://deb.opera.com/opera-beta/ testing non-free
#deb http://deb.opera.com/opera-beta/ unstable non-free

in your sources list file :)

dapperjohndoe
May 31st, 2006, 09:27 AM
Well... Opera is a great software, but it left some files everywhere (or near that) in the OS.

I am a firefox trunk user, and I build it 4 times a week. And it is not horrible to uninstall. It is a simple directory I am removing.

Automatic installation / deinstallation could be great, but is it to hard to remove a simple directory ? :-kNo, but there are also menu entries, just as an example (and they cannot be removed).

John

AirRaven
May 31st, 2006, 01:06 PM
I switched to Firefox a few months ago after I got a computer that could take the obscene memory usage in its stride. Before that Opera worked fine.

I'd say Opera's the better browser overall- if it wasn't for its extensions Firefox would be absolutely lousy.

bruce89
May 31st, 2006, 01:15 PM
What about Epiphany more like, at least its free software.

AirRaven
May 31st, 2006, 04:23 PM
What about Epiphany more like, at least its free software.
Epiphany's bookmark handling is extremely weird by default- I can't stand having them in a seperate window. It's fast- there's no denying that, but Swiftfox just about matches it blow for blow. It also doesn't come close to matching Firefox for sheer amount of extensions.

It's also Linux only- unlike Opera.

bruce89
May 31st, 2006, 05:00 PM
Epiphany's bookmark handling is extremely weird by default- I can't stand having them in a seperate window.
Eh - they are in the bookmarks menu. See attached image.

kroiz
May 31st, 2006, 09:00 PM
Why would a company develope a web browser?
the only reasons I could see are:
1. Get a loyal market share, and then to hope that the hooked up ppl will buy the browser when it is no longer free.
2. sell ads in the browsers.

Neither should be acceptable by this community.

Therefore I strongly suggest that we support open source browsers.
I am not active in the open source community but I admit I admire the effort those ppl put in to the software and I think that the least I can do, to show my appreiciation, is to use their software.

so yes deathshadow, I do use Firefox for its open sourcesness.
there is nothing wrong with having ideals!

sagarhshah
June 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Why would a company develope a web browser?
the only reasons I could see are:
1. Get a loyal market share, and then to hope that the hooked up ppl will buy the browser when it is no longer free.
2. sell ads in the browsers.

1) Well one used to have to pay for opera. Then it became free. Seriously I cannot see it going back to asking people to pay for it.
I would glady pay for it. The day I discovered opera and tabbed browsing I was up and over the moon.(way back in 2001)

2)It no longer has ads in its browser. It stopped doing that from around september 2005. If you still have ads in your opera you still probably have the old version with the ads. I suggest you uptdate your opera.

I dont see why people fuss over firefox so much. ok I know theres the extensions and all but how many pages do I have to scroll through before I find an extension i want(I lost count).

Everytime I make a new installation of an OS i would have to go through the same ol routine of adding the necessary extensions to firefox.just too long.

Opera has the extensions I want by default so I dont have to mess around adding extensions etc. I just have to install it fire it up and surf my way through the cyberspace!!
I guess firefox is good for those who like customise their browser but Opera has to be the definitive all round browser (although their email application could do with a bit of sorting out)

Firefox has a lot of potential but its going to take a while before it replaces opera on my desktop!!

kroiz
June 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM
sagarhshah, a commercial company does not do stuff for free or with out a plan for commercial future.

and no, I never even tried Opera, I dont care It might be better.
Firefox does the job for me. and is getting better at it all the time.

thecdn
June 6th, 2006, 12:26 PM
and no, I never even tried Opera, I dont care It might be better.

Well that's a pretty close minded attitude to take. There would be lots of progress if everyone thought that way.....

At least I can say I used firefox for over a year before switching to opera.

kroiz
June 6th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Well that's a pretty close minded attitude to take. There would be lots of progress if everyone thought that way.....

At least I can say I used firefox for over a year before switching to opera.

you just dont get me. my mind is not closed, my mind is set on open source.

missmoondog
June 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM
in windows it's definitely opera all the way. in ubuntu (dapper), firefox seems to be pretty snappy. i have to admit, i'm usuaully anti firefox (fanboyism), especially on windows, but it might be worth a try on dapper!

here is the world's easiest way to install opera, in dapper. (i used automatix, in breezy). even i did it right on all 5 of my machines!! :)
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=177449

in termainal

wget http://www.artfiles.org/ubuntu.com/archive/pool/main/x/xorg/xlibs_6.8.2-77_all.deb

wget http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/Weekly-315/intel-linux/opera_9.0-20060602.6-shared-qt_en_etch_i386.deb

TheRingmaster
June 27th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I use opera because it is a suite and has all I need.:rolleyes:

please if your browser is missing from the above list, just post it in your message.

RAV TUX
June 27th, 2006, 05:27 AM
I use opera because it is a suite and has all I need.:rolleyes:
I use both. You left off the third and fourth option of:

3. Both
4. neither/other

I pick option # 3

both.

Sheinar
June 27th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Other.

Edit: Specifically, SeaMonkey.

x64Jimbo
June 27th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I use both. You left off the third and fourth option of:

3. Both
4. neither/other

I pick option # 3

both.
Ditto

basketcase
June 27th, 2006, 05:49 AM
I usually use FF, but I have since found that Opera seems CONSIDERABLY faster on my 6.06 install, so I think I might switch.

GuitarHero
June 27th, 2006, 05:50 AM
I dont like the linux version of opera so i use good ol firefox.

skull_leader
June 27th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I like the speed of Opera... but I just can't live without my Firefox extensions.

I <3 Firefox.

Cyraxzz
June 27th, 2006, 06:03 AM
I use Opera, I find it faster and more comfortable

siimo
June 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
not using firefox is like a timebomb waiting to explode ^^ lol i was assuming ppl that don't use it use IE. I don't like Oprah cause it doesn't "fit" well into gnome if you know what i mean - e.g. its menus etc look different

_simon_
June 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Used FF for years but Opera 9 has converted me!

I love the wand lol

Engnome
June 27th, 2006, 01:15 PM
When I realised that IE sucked hard (years ago) I decided to switch. Opera was by far the best back then, FF has been playing catchup for some time now, mostly by copying Opera :rolleyes: They are still not quite there though. In FF 2 they will start having the X for close tab on the tab instead of out in the corner for example. Hopefully FF will catch up one day so i can switch to a FOSS browser.

Opera is the only "I can do everything app" that I really like. Otherwise i prefer simple programs.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Neither, where's the neither option, not to mention the both option?

Footissimo
June 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I have both, though I use Firefox 95% of the time. Opera 9 is really very good, but all my extensions are set up how I like them in FF and it'll play everything that I come across routinely (except flash 8..grr!) thanks mostly to the mplayer-mozilla plugin. It's also a FOSS thing...

FISHERMAN
June 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I use Ff on Ubuntu
and opera on WinXP.

BWF89
June 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Theres other browsers besides Opera or Firefox.

But I prefer Firefox, I tried to use Opera a couple of weeks ago and the thing was just so bloated with features and options I coudn't stand to use it. Even with my 11 extensions installed on Firefox it's not anywhere near as complex as Opera is out of the box.

ollesbrorsa
June 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I use firefox for my browsing needs.
I too love my wand, however... ;)

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers lists a few more than 2 web browsers. I was a vote for "Neither".
Similar to below, I use Epiphany 100%.

frodon
June 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I use epiphany 95% and firefox 5% only for video streaming.

fuscia
June 27th, 2006, 01:52 PM
on my old machine, firefox dragged. i ended up using a patched version of dillo instead and loved it. now that i have my zippy new laptop, firefox is very fast, as fast as dillo on my old machine. firefox was my introduction to open source and i'm quite happy to be able to use it again.

BWF89
June 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM
In FF 2 they will start having the X for close tab on the tab instead of out in the corner for example.
I dont like having an X for every tab, and you can install extensions that give you an X for every tab instead of in teh corner of you want.

mcduck
June 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
In FF 2 they will start having the X for close tab on the tab instead of out in the corner for example.
Get the Tab Mix Plus extension and you'll get option for that, and a lot more..

I use Firefox (and links sometimes). I've tried Opera couple of times, first when they gave avay some registration codes for free and then again when it was released completely free, and again copule of times after that. And even when it was nice, it never felt right and I missed some features I can get in FF with some selected extensions..

I've also tried Epiphany (very nice now, and fit's very nicely in Gnome, but I hated the bookmarks system in it, and it also lacks some features I've got used to with FF) and Galeon (fits nice in Gnome but that's pretty much it).

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I've also tried Epiphany (very nice now, and fit's very nicely in Gnome, but I hated the bookmarks system in it, and it also lacks some features I've got used to with FF) and Galeon (fits nice in Gnome but that's pretty much it).
Which version was it? Its bookmarks system was rubbish prior to 2.14, but now it is brilliant. It is like the what was to be Firefox 2.0 "Places" feature.

mcduck
June 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Which version was it? Its bookmarks system was rubbish prior to 2.14, but now it is brilliant. It is like the what was to be Firefox 2.0 "Places" feature.
What's the version in Dapper? That's what I tried..

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM
What's the version in Dapper? That's what I tried..
Oh well, I find it wonderful, it's 2.14.2.1 now. Topic tagging of bookmarks is what I'm referring to.

mcduck
June 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Oh well, I find it wonderful, it's 2.14.2.1 now. Topic tagging of bookmarks is what I'm referring to.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about too.. I guess it's a matter of taste. I prefer to manage my bookmarks myself..

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about too.. I guess it's a matter of taste. I prefer to manage my bookmarks myself..
I don't trust myself to create a decent hierarchy. It would just get all messy.

Engnome
June 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Get the Tab Mix Plus extension and you'll get option for that, and a lot more.

No doubt FF can be made to function as I want it to (like Opera that is ;) ) but why does it have to take +5 plugins? I've tried FF, gave it an hour where i tried to add all the features I like in Opera but gave up not even close to my goal.](*,)

nuvo
June 27th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I use Firefox most of the time (I've used it since the first release and I used Mozilla Suite before it).
Opera 8 killed my PC (XP) after a few hours for some reason or other (which is why I would never pay for it, I just got a free registration code when they handed them out), but Opera 9 under Ubuntu seems a fair bit better.
The only thing I wanted from Opera was tab saving, and I have that in Firefox through the SessionSaver extension.
I don't see any point in Opera widgets and they don't even work properly for me (alpha transparency is goofed).

On the subject of other browsers, there should be more options even though a majority of browsers are based upon Gecko or KHTML under Linux.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM
No doubt FF can be made to function as I want it to (like Opera that is ;) ) but why does it have to take +5 plugins? I've tried FF, gave it an hour where i tried to add all the features I like in Opera but gave up not even close to my goal.](*,)
Ach, extensions are overrated, I like my stock python epiphany-extensions.
I would like to see an option in Epiphany to use KHTML! (just for fun really)

jimcooncat
June 27th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Epiphany on linux
K-Meleon on windows

Wish they would make one of these cross-platform (preferably Epiphany)!

I like my browsing experience snappy!

zenwhen
June 27th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Firefox here. It has always done exactly what I want it to do. I love extensions. I use about 8 to get Firefox how I like it, which is nowhere near how Opera functions.

I won't go point by point because browser debates suck.

joe_lace
June 27th, 2006, 11:34 PM
It seems that there are lots of people complaining about their browser not being on the poll. My understanding was that the thread starter was interested in finding out how many people preferred Opera over FireFox and vise versa. That is why he said to put your browser in your post if it is not listed.

CronoDekar
June 28th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Opera here, since I find that pretty much that I can get all the functions I want in a speedy browser. Of course, I have primarily been using Opera since before Firefox came on the scene, so "what I want" a lot of the time became "what Opera offers" (though I did want adblock and easy editable search keywords, which fortunately were added in Opera 9) . Still though, it has a lot, and once you edit the layout to get it how you want it it can look really minimalist.

Though I do have to say, I have a lot of respect for Firefox, and when I recommend a browser to others I typically recommend Firefox. Mainly because 1) it's simple right out of the box, and 2) there's less sites/features that disagree with Firefox than with Opera.

TheRingmaster
June 28th, 2006, 02:32 AM
It seems that there are lots of people complaining about their browser not being on the poll. My understanding was that the thread starter was interested in finding out how many people preferred Opera over FireFox and vise versa. That is why he said to put your browser in your post if it is not listed.

finally someone understands me and my posts

richbarna
June 28th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Firefox with my beloved ubuntuforums extension :)

Buffalo Soldier
June 28th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Neither. Using Epiphany here.

Ted D.
June 28th, 2006, 03:22 AM
I use both. I do find Opera quicker

Zoolook
September 5th, 2006, 05:42 AM
I have never really considered Opera as a serious browser before, but under Ubuntu it seems to be a realistic option.

Forefox appears to render some sites very poorly under Ubuntu and crashes a lot,(as opposed to under windows), whereas Opera seems to do a lot better.

Try IGN.com for a start and other heavy sites.

Do people here have a preference? I am torn, because I really love Forefox and have used it within Windows since version 0.4 almost exlisively. I am suprised the GNU/Linux version appears to have so many bugs and rendering issues and bugs.

drtvasudevan
September 5th, 2006, 06:15 AM
people should use the s/w that they are comfy with.
went to the site you mentioned and did not see anything amiss in firefox.
so far i haver not had anything that was not ok in firefox.
what version are you having? i have 1.5.0.5

Parama
September 5th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I have never really considered Opera as a serious browser before, but under Ubuntu it seems to be a realistic option.

I have been using Opera on both Ubuntu and WinXP for quite some time now. I did, of course, try to trick myself into use Firefox, but I was just so very surprised with Operas page rendering speed and general efficiency :eek: To my experience, there's no other browser that nearly matches Opera at the moment. The built-in mail/IRC/torrent clients are just working - and everything so very fast.
Well, I could go on for days about how happy I am with Opera, but I'll leave it with this: Did you notice, in Opera, that when you right click some selected text and select "Speak", it simply downloads 10MB voice control / speech engine, and then it reads the text out loud :-D
Also notice the page thumbnails that pops out when hovering over the page tabs.

Forefox appears to render some sites very poorly under Ubuntu and crashes a lot,(as opposed to under windows), whereas Opera seems to do a lot better.

Try IGN.com for a start and other heavy sites.

IGN.com works fine for me in both Mozilla and, as expected, a little bit faster in Opera. But no crashes for me in Firefox AFAIR.

Do people here have a preference? I am torn, because I really love Forefox and have used it within Windows since version 0.4 almost exlisively. I am suprised the GNU/Linux version appears to have so many bugs and rendering issues and bugs.

Though I've done several serious attempts, I never really fell for Firefox. But Opera sure did it all for me at once :) - Both in Windows XP (years) Fedora (months) Ubuntu (weeks).

I've heard a lot from other web programmers about Opera in the old days (ver 6. and older) rendered pages very poorly and besides that being non-free. But today it's the only browser that passes the Acid 2 test (http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/).
I actually don't understand why so many people seem to looooove the Firefox and never even give Opera a chance, but maybe somebody can clarify that :)

/regards

Zoolook
September 5th, 2006, 06:49 AM
I think there is some romance attached to FF and, to be fair, if it wasn't for Firefox Opera would probably not be free and IE7 would be IE6 with more holes, instead of less.

I think FF deserves some credit for those things.

manojvekaria
September 5th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Opera claims to be the world's fastest browser. i totally agree with that.
Its mouse gestures, and other features really make it a good browser.

I give opera a five.!!!!

On the other side opera, doesn't have all those add-ons that firefox has!
the ad-blocker. No ads when going to hotmail!!!

Thats the greatness in firefox.
another good add-on i like is gftp. it makes google mail into a huge 3Gig storage device, for your online backup.

DrMilo
September 5th, 2006, 07:02 AM
The only problem I've seen with FF is that it seems to lock up after viewing several Flash vids. Not one, not other types of vids but several Flash ones. Maybe I should give Opera a whirl. Anyone know if importing Bookmarks is fairly easy?

grte
September 5th, 2006, 07:14 AM
If you like the gecko engine, you may also want to look into epiphany.

navneeth
September 5th, 2006, 07:17 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu, and also seriously considering Opera. Of course, in Windows I'm a crazy Firefox'er. I also have Opera, but use it only ocassionally. Opera does have it's advanatages, but its default version is "bulky". I think there is at least one extension for Firefox for almost every feature of Opera, but you can add these when you want them, whereas in Opera, they are all stuffed with the basic package. Mouse Gestures, for example, I never understand that. I once installed that extension for Firefox, and then forgot about it!

Amablue
September 5th, 2006, 07:41 AM
And speaking of mouse gestures, I find that the mouse gestures in FireFox's "All-in-one gestures" extention to be way more intuative than Opera's defaults.

_simon_
September 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I was a long time firefox user even in windows.

I now prefer Opera simply for:

The wand
Bookmarks automagically open in a new tab

--------

It's appearence is just as configurable as FF as well.

Here's mine:

I have the menu on right click.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/snewberry1980/Screenshots/September/th_September01c.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/snewberry1980/Screenshots/September/September01c.jpg)

manojvekaria
September 5th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Opera looks very user friendly compared to firefox. Coz my speed is near dial-up. What firefox takes ages, opera can open it up in seconds.

The only problem i find with opera is that, it can't open my hotmail's correctly. i always have to use the basic version.

M beggining to hate all microsoft services now. !!!:twisted: ](*,)

calvinthomas
September 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I often try Opera out but always switch back to Firefox because there are still odd sites that don't work in Opera, such as Online Banking that I do with Natwest.

Calv

Edward The Bonobo
September 5th, 2006, 11:19 AM
What (if any) configuration is needed to get Opera to handle on-page media? With Firefox in Ubuntu, you have to add various plugins. Is there a HowTo for Opera?

calvinthomas
September 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I have been using Opera on both Ubuntu and WinXP for quite some time now. I did, of course, try to trick myself into use Firefox, but I was just so very surprised with Operas page rendering speed and general efficiency :eek: To my experience, there's no other browser that nearly matches Opera at the moment. The built-in mail/IRC/torrent clients are just working - and everything so very fast.
Well, I could go on for days about how happy I am with Opera, but I'll leave it with this: Did you notice, in Opera, that when you right click some selected text and select "Speak", it simply downloads 10MB voice control / speech engine, and then it reads the text out loud :-D
Also notice the page thumbnails that pops out when hovering over the page tabs.

IGN.com works fine for me in both Mozilla and, as expected, a little bit faster in Opera. But no crashes for me in Firefox AFAIR.

Though I've done several serious attempts, I never really fell for Firefox. But Opera sure did it all for me at once :) - Both in Windows XP (years) Fedora (months) Ubuntu (weeks).

I've heard a lot from other web programmers about Opera in the old days (ver 6. and older) rendered pages very poorly and besides that being non-free. But today it's the only browser that passes the Acid 2 test (http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/).
I actually don't understand why so many people seem to looooove the Firefox and never even give Opera a chance, but maybe somebody can clarify that :)

/regards

How did you get Voice working, I can't get it working and it says its not supported in Linux on the site?

Calv

Miademora
September 5th, 2006, 12:06 PM
If i could use the miriad of addons for firefox in opera id give it a try

gabhla
September 5th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Opera! Been using it for years - even in Windows. It's great.

Colonel Kilkenny
September 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Opera should be able to use same plugins as Firefox.

If Firefox has problems Swiftfox can be the answer.
Although I still prefer Opera and recommend it to everyone. It just works. Maybe the biggest con with firefox is Gecko, it just can't match Presto, which is able to do some nifty tricks with ERA.
Also I've had enough with that spreadfirefox-****. I wouldn't use it because of that spreadfirefox-spam even if Opera would not exist.

edit. And calvinthomas, voice is not possible with linux-version. (yet)
edit#2. And Opera isn't the only browser to pass ACID2.

calvinthomas
September 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks Colonel, thats something to look forward to in the future! thanks to this thread i've given Opera another go and i'm gonna stick with it, the mail client in it is nice and now i've tweaked the interface a little bit i'm happy with it! I've managed to replace Evolution and Firefox with Opera and sunbird and it does all that I need. I'll keep firefox on for the odd websites that I can't access through Opera. If I get positive responses to my other questions (seperate thread) i'll be a very happy chappy!

Calv

toasterofirony
September 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I'm using Flock which is based on Firefox (lots of neat little extras to it, though) but I was horrified that it fails the Acid2 test. I feel dirty, though it doesn't render it as badly as IE on my Pa's computer ;) Interestingly, though Konqueror (the browser I poo-poo'd the minute I saw it) handles it perfectly, which is nothing if not impressive.

I might be tempted to play with Opera now, though. It has posed an interesting question in my mind though: Is it better to have the bells and whistles or to have the best rendering?

[edit] Of course if Konqueror did ActiveX (I like gmail) it would help :\

Dinerty
September 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Definetely prefer Opera 9, I prefer the way each tab has its own close button and the "new tab" button is perfectly placed, prefer the speed of Opera and find it rarely ever crashes like Firefox does.

Mr Green
September 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Opera has an built in adblocker. Just right click any page and select Block content.

bruce89
September 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Opera has an built in adblocker. Just right click any page and select Block content.

So does my favourite, Epiphany. Tools>Extensions>Ad Blocker.

bluenova
September 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Well I would say between Opera and Firefox 1.5, Opera wins hands down. But I'm now using Firefox 2 beta 2, which has a lot of the features of Opera, and support for things like Ajax which Opera really sucks at.

:edit: to add:
The speed difference is a big thing to note as well. Firefox 1.5 is very slow, but with Firefox 2 it's as just as quick as Opera.

mustang
September 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I oscillate back and forth. Opera is definitely faster than firefox, especially on heavy duty sites like the original poster noted.

But a lack of a GOOD adblocker is what kills Opera for me. It's too time consuming to go on websites and block ads everytime I see them. The Adblock + whitelist extensions for firefox are much more better.

Plus there are a lot of little annoyances for ex-firefox power users. Getting a Google I'm Feeling Lucky search in the address bar working with spaces in between words doesn't seem to work. The interface is kind of cumbersome--is it even possible to get the personal bar below the address bar? Opening multiple tabs, going to a tab, then closing that tab returns you to the page where you originally opened all the tabs. In Firefox, closing the tab automatically moves you to the rightmost tab.

I try and get used to Opera behavior every so often but I find myself returning to firefox. Right now I'm on one of those Opera spurts--hopefully I'll last longer this time ;)

calvinthomas
September 5th, 2006, 06:23 PM
My impressions after a day of play with Opera:

The Good:

1) Its quicker but I find that kind of irrelevant as I have a 4Mb connection anyway so most things load fast anyway.

2) I like having a toolbar on the left for Mail, Contacts, Notes etc, feels like an all-in-one app that truely is all-in-one and actually works

3) Feeds work MUCH better than firefox 1.5, several feeds didn't recognise in firefox 1.5, version 2 beta does correct this however I still like the link with Mail in Opera better.

4) I like the transfers tab where I can see previous transfers, retransfer etc.

5) I like the trash to recover previously misplaced webpages.

6) Notes are fantastic! Probably my favourite feature at the moment, I really like the copy to notes, being able to edit etc, its like having a built in wordpad and thats useful.

7) I like being able to add bookmarks to the panel, that essentially gives the possibility of essentially having a built in word processor or if I could find one that works (Google Calendar not supported in Opera) a calendar/organiser

8 ) I like the thumbnails, hovering over tabs.

9) I like the access to Top 10, home, bookmarks from the address bar.

10) Mouse gestures

The bad:

1) Some pages don't render, Google Calendar and Natwest online banking i've noticed so far.

2) Widgets, I don't see any point or use for them, if there are any useful ones, please let me know!

3) Lack of Voice, text to speech, I don't like that it works in Windows and not Linux!

Note: I know most of the good can be accomplished by firefox extensions and sometimes better than in Opera, i.e. Mouse Gestures.

Calv

bluenova
September 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Google calendar does work in Opera, but as with all ajax services it runs very slowly in Opera.

jonathan21
September 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM
i personally use both browsers.where opera fails firefox makes up and vice versa i have not used IE since.and to be honest i feel they both are gonna be always a step a head of internet explorer

skymt
September 6th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Opera shouldn't be slower than Firefox at AJAX applications. In fact, it should be much faster (http://celtickane.com/projects/jsspeed.php).

D_frag
September 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Ok i have been using FireFox for some Time and i was really disappointed with it's support for 64 bit processors .. Does Opera Resolve this issue ??

bruce89
September 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Ok i have been using FireFox for some Time and i was really disappointed with it's support for 64 bit processors .. Does Opera Resolve this issue ??

No, Opera is not provided in a 64 bit version at all.

By the way, Firefox is not written in CamelCase.

EdThaSlayer
September 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I prefer firefox because well...Firefox allows these extensions(i know opera has something like that too but doesnt have...useful ones ^_^)

Firefox also has the coolest themes.

Lod
September 14th, 2006, 08:04 AM
I was a long time firefox user even in windows.

I now prefer Opera simply for:

The wandWhat is the difference between the wand and saving passwords in other browsers?

I have the menu on right click.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/snewberry1980/Screenshots/September/th_September01c.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/snewberry1980/Screenshots/September/September01c.jpg)That is very nice, how did you do that?

I like Opera for its speed and the mail-client. I have the same frustration Mustang has about the tabs. You can change the way Opera behaves when closing a tab by changing it to use the taborder. But then it will go back to the first tab. It will take a long time before I get used to that.
And for some reason I can't get embedded multimedia to work.

katgfan
October 25th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Which one do you prefer? The freeware on the openware. Why?

Personally I like Opera.

tageiru
October 26th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Neither, Epiphany suits me better.

chaosgeisterchen
October 26th, 2006, 12:02 AM
I use Opera for a certain browser game, it's fully laid out to only be used for it.

95% of the time I use Konqueror. So my answer is: Neither.

rfruth
October 26th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Firefox !