PDA

View Full Version : Firefox vs. Opera vs. ...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Tamil
October 26th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Opera, small & fast.

Troutman
October 26th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Another vote for Firefox.

Why? All of the great extensions. :D

SirPecanGum
October 26th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Opera. Of course!

I've used it since about version 3. The only aspect of it that I don't use is the email client.

Demio
October 26th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Swiftfox 2 :D

jdong
October 26th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Firefox -- it works great on all my systems and I've been quite satisfied with it.

Konqueror is my next preferred browser... In KDE I use it a lot... it's snappy and lightweight and integrates very well with the rest of KDE. Rendering is almost flawless, but overall compatibility with websites is not as good as Firefox.

Opera would be next in line... I use it on systems that aren't beefy enough to handle Firefox / Konqueror... I've been having to use it much less recently. It's hard to explain, but I'm just not used to the UI and am having a difficult time familiarizing myself with it.

I have used Epiphany for some time, especially when Firefox at one point was unacceptably slow. Nowadays I really don't use it much. To me it's been too simplified GNOME-style, and I need more in my web browser than what Epiphany provides.

Finally, there's Dillo and links. They're great for all those corner-cases when a full-fledged browser is not appropriate.

Cyraxzz
October 26th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Opera 9.02

fuscia
October 26th, 2006, 03:44 AM
firefox. i never really warmed up to opera.

nyinge
October 26th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I have both on my system. Firefox as my main browser. I use Opera when I want to check out what unusual stuff they've been innovating.

Kateikyoushi
October 26th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Recently use opera on the forums, the newest version suits my needs better and uses less resources than ff, for browsing around use links.

chickengirl
October 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I have both, but I use Firefox as my primary browser.

zanglang
October 26th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Feature-packed and fully customizable with all sorts of extensions - Give me Firefox 2.0 any time! :D

rocknrolf77
October 26th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Both. But ff 2 is at least faster than 1.5. When I know I'm going to have a lot of tabs open opera is my choice. Still fast. Like konqueror too. Has a lot of nice features. Why be a fanboy when you have the choice to use whatever you want to use after your needs at that time? :)

Cynical
October 26th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Firefox

After applying a skin the Opera gui can look pretty nice, the only problems I have with the browser are its download manager being embedded as a tab (gets in the way of browsing for me) and its lackluster ad-blocker. The adblock plus and filterset.g extensions do such a good job on firefox that its hard for me to overlook this flaw in Opera.

gookie
October 26th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Epiphany gest my vote, it's like Firefox, but with the speed of Opera.

_simon_
October 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Opera for me :)

miceagol
October 26th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I prefer and use Opera, but I also use Firefox now and then. Opera has a bunch of nice features that I can't live without, and best of all, it's Norwegian. :D

kopilo
October 26th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Firefox for now, ice weasel when it is released.
Reason:
extentions, web interface (try 'about:config' and 'about:mozilla' in the address bar of FireFox) and the fact that it has many similar off shoots which I use on different computers. Such as K-melon on the computers at uni.

rocknrolf77
October 26th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Walked past the opera headquarters today, had to bring my camera to shoot their pretty nice sign. 8)

http://bildr.no/thumb/16526.jpeg (http://bildr.no/view/16526) http://bildr.no/thumb/16532.jpeg (http://bildr.no/view/16532)

Starchild
October 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Swiftfox

gasparov
October 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hi guys,
yesterday i made a simple test to compare firefox and opera and i posted on my blog if anyone is interested,test is about timings.(cold start,worm start,rendering css ,rendering table).
This test is about "how long does it take to" and nothing else ...
http://gas.tranza.it./2006-opera-902-vs-firefox-20-final/

The results:

Cold Start
Firefox:
real 0m17.279s
user 0m6.901s
sys 0m0.327s
Opera:
real 0m8.692s
user 0m2.454s
sys 0m0.352s

Warm Start
Firefox:
real 0m10.521s
user 0m6.867s
sys 0m0.284s
Opera
real 0m7.283s
user 0m2.419s
sys 0m0.269s

Rendering CSS
Firefox: 1814ms
Opera: 880ms

Rendering Table
Firefox:11.31s
Opera:4.12s
The Test Bed

grizzly
October 26th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Opera obviously! Once you get used to Opera's sheer UI/shortcuts customizability, every other GUI in Linux would look clunky and slow and stupid.. except FVWM ;)
Besides I can't run ff even if I wanted to on my PIII - 7-8 tabs and it chokes

AndyCooll
October 26th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Firefox. No real reason why, it comes as the default in Ubuntu and I've always been happy with it. When I use Windoze I also use FF.

In truth I've never tried Opera, simply because I've always been happy with FF.

:cool:

miceagol
October 27th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Walked past the opera headquarters today, had to bring my camera to shoot their pretty nice sign. 8)

http://bildr.no/thumb/16526.jpeg (http://bildr.no/view/16526) http://bildr.no/thumb/16532.jpeg (http://bildr.no/view/16532)

Hehe, business with humor. Like it! :mrgreen:

miceagol
October 27th, 2006, 09:23 AM
In truth I've never tried Opera, simply because I've always been happy with FF.
:cool:

Just like all the IE7 users out there. :p

Minyaliel
October 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I've got both installed, so it depends what I'm doing. I guess I use Firefox 55% of the time, but that's mainly because I haven't made a link to Opera from the panel yet...

Christmas
October 27th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Both Firefox and Opera are two great browsers, it's too bad their interface is slow on Kubuntu. I use Konqueror most of the time, and Firefox and Opera equally but rarely.

kopilo
October 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I may be wrong but there doesn't seem to be a explicit 64 bit version of Opera where there is a 64 bit version of FF and yes you do notice the difference in opening times between 32 bit Firefox and 64 bit Firefox.

So unless there is a 64 bit version of Opera, I'd put my money on Firefox 64 being faster on a 64 bit system.

:-|

kopilo
October 27th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Opera obviously! Once you get used to Opera's sheer UI/shortcuts customizability, every other GUI in Linux would look clunky and slow and stupid.. except FVWM ;)
No offence but if it chockes on a PIII system then I'd day you have some poor configuration or something, I have a PII system (128 MB RAM) that can handle 6-10 tabs (in Mepis (KDE)) fine.

ronacc
October 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Opera

dpaint4
October 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I use both Opera and Firefox, and also Flock.

Being something of a novice, all this "DON'T UPDATE FIREFOX" and "DO A SEPARATE INSTALL IF YOU WANT TO UPDATE FIREFOX" talk around the forums really puts me off. One thing I really like about Firefox on my non-Linux computers is that it stays really separate from the operating system and other applications, and can be updated immediately while remaining self-contained.

I get the impression that this is not the case with Ubuntu, so I have to wait for official updates to trickle down. [-(

Opera, on the other hand, has a self-installing .deb package for Ubuntu, and can be installed immediately upon release from Opera's own site.

So that's a big "plus" for Opera in my opinion.

chickengirl
October 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I use both Opera and Firefox, and also Flock.

Being something of a novice, all this "DON'T UPDATE FIREFOX" and "DO A SEPARATE INSTALL IF YOU WANT TO UPDATE FIREFOX" talk around the forums really puts me off. One thing I really like about Firefox on my non-Linux computers is that it stays really separate from the operating system and other applications, and can be updated immediately while remaining self-contained.

I get the impression that this is not the case with Ubuntu, so I have to wait for official updates to trickle down. [-(

I also dislike having the ubuntu devs control my Firefox experience. It gets in the way when I use alpha/beta builds, or just the official mozilla version instead of the one the ubuntu people have been messing with.

SunnyRabbiera
October 27th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I am mainly an Opera user nowadays despite several things I dont like in it like the embedded download manager.

maia
October 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Firefox :KS

Jessehk
October 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I absolutely love Opera with the Tango theme. It has 99% of the features provided by Firefox extensions naively while at the same time being extremely efficient (both in terms of size and memory usage) as well as fast and customizable.

jørgen
October 28th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Why does everyone use Firefox rather than Opera? Opera is faster and it has more features, but still they only have a very smal market share... All the new features in Firefox 2 has been in Opera for ages

GStubbs43
October 28th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Extensions. ;)
And some use it because it is Open source, some use it because it just comes as default with Ubuntu. Some do use Opera though, as well as Konqurer, Epiphany, Flock etc.

Engnome
October 28th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Why does everyone use Firefox rather than Opera? Opera is faster and it has more features, but still they only have a very smal market share... All the new features in Firefox 2 has been in Opera for ages

Indeed Opera deserves more credit than they get.

http://digg.com/tech_news/Opera_says_We_re_owed_some_credit_in_browser_war

Cyraxzz
October 28th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Opera should become Ubuntu's default browser.

Engnome
October 28th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Opera should become Ubuntu's default browser.

That would be nice but won't happen as Opera is not libre software. Adding it to the commercial repo is as far as Canoical will go.

anti-net
October 28th, 2006, 01:24 AM
It won't be inside ubuntu because it is _NOT_ open source it is closed source software, unless Opera open up there browser which I doubt they will it will not be bundled in as default.

Tamil
October 28th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Why opera has small market and what needs to be done- Results of small informal survey among friends (http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=158430)

Mr. Picklesworth
October 28th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I like Opera's speed, but I despise its ugly interface.

It is a great web browser for my lesser computer, though :)

I use Firefox wherever it will run, because I prefer its more unified, open feeling design.

aysiu
October 28th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Opera may start out with more features, but Firefox has hundreds of extensions.

Antman
October 28th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Opera may start out with more features, but Firefox has hundreds of extensions.

Bingo....

aysiu
October 28th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Merged with an older Firefox v. Opera thread

I will concede that Opera is faster. I've tried Fasterfox and all sorts of about:config tweaks... even Swiftfox. Opera has always been faster--Windows, Linux, Mac.

Still, I prefer Firefox. It's not slow. It's fast enough. Opera is just faster. And with tabbed browsing, speed doesn't matter much anyway. Pages can load in the background while I read the current page.

indigoshift
October 28th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I've been an Opera user since around 1998 (1999?), and I absolutely love it for one reason: speed.

No, not loading or rendering speed. I'm talking about the speed I can go forward, back, open new tabs...that kind of thing.

Need to open a link you've copied to your clipboard? Ctrl+N for new window; Ctrl+D for Paste and Go, and you're there!

Need to go back a page? Z

Forward? X

Need to go back to the beginning of the site you're visiting? Shift+Z

Scanning through tons of Google results? Keep hitting your space bar. It'll happily burn through the pages, one right after another.

I've always turned off the mouse gestures (I use a trackball), but the "rocker" forward and back movements are great, too.

I've recently started using Firefox (for Google Docs & Spreadsheets), and couldn't stand it until I installed a configuration plugin to change the keyboard shortcuts to match Opera's. Even then, it's not as responsive. And I'm almost always in a hurry.

Firefox is cool, but it always felt to me like a clunky version of Opera. Kind of like how, back in the Cold War, you could compare the sleek U.S. F15 fighter jet to the clunky U.S.S.R. version. They looked about the same, and did the same thing, but one was obviously sleeker (better?) than the other.

With that said, the "Version 4.anything" years in Opera really SUCKED. I even briefly switched back to IE during that period. Man, Opera was a mess through version 4! It was embarassing.

Opera 9, though...like candy. I love it. New skins, customizable up the wazoo, widgets (both useful and utterly goofy)...love love love.

It really bugs me when the FF people rag on Opera, and the Opera people rag on FF. What's the point? You're not using IE. You've already won the game!

Can't we all just get along? ;)

indigoshift
October 28th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Opera. Because I've been using it since version 3.

And because it's awesome. :D

ice60
October 28th, 2006, 04:36 AM
i normally use opera, i've added userjs (like google suggest) and bookmarklets ('search this site', 'netcraft' for the page i'm on, and others) to add things i want, and i have the web developer toolbar which adds 100s of things, like right-click 'make tinyurl' 'whois' etc etc. and page validation stuff.

but, i've recently started using firefox about 50% of the time :D

does flash 9 work with opera? it doesn't work for me. i aksed on IRC and someone said he thought it doesn't work with opera/linux :(

Bloch
October 28th, 2006, 05:03 AM
mplayer plugin worked for a couple of weeks in Opera, until it got updated . . .
Opera misses out for me because I can't get it to handle embedded video. I expect to be able to play audio / video on a website and I wasted hours and hours trying to get opera to deliver.

Now I use opera when I am using online dictionaries for translation, but otherwise it's firefox.

SunnyRabbiera
October 28th, 2006, 06:38 AM
i normally use opera, i've added userjs (like google suggest) and bookmarklets ('search this site', 'netcraft' for the page i'm on, and others) to add things i want, and i have the web developer toolbar which adds 100s of things, like right-click 'make tinyurl' 'whois' etc etc. and page validation stuff.

but, i've recently started using firefox about 50% of the time :D

does flash 9 work with opera? it doesn't work for me. i aksed on IRC and someone said he thought it doesn't work with opera/linux :(

It works partially, 4/10 times it will work.

dada1958
October 28th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I used Opera as my default browser, it was fast and pretty. It started to crash when I put a SB SE sound card in my PC so I was forced to discover Firefox. I love the inline spellchecker!
Overall behavior of my PC improved after putting the sound card in the outer PCI slot and yesterday I gave Opera another shot but it felt slower then Firefox, maybe because there still isn't a package for Edgy.

jørgen
October 28th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Why did you bring back a 3 month old thread.
Never do that again.

This thread was created yeasterday.....

muep
October 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Firefox is free as in speech. I know many others do feel differently about this, but for me, Using Opera as my primary browser isn't acceptable when I can use the other great, free browsers.

I don't want to depend on a proprietary product. Using one isn't bad in itself, but I don't want to get accustomed to using it routinely. And if I don't want to get used to using Opera, I might as well not use it at all.

GStubbs43
October 28th, 2006, 02:08 PM
This thread was created yeasterday.....

No, there was a thread created yesterday that got merged with this one. The thread he was reffering to was made in February, he posted that comment in May. :p

Rhapsody
October 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
There are two big reasons I don't use Opera.

First, extensions. I currently have 10 Firefox extensions that I like very much. I've found no other browser that has all of these features or can have all of them added.

Second, it's proprietary. I came to Linux as one more step in my movement towards more free software being in my life. Switching to a proprietary browser would just be a backwards step in that movement.

If Opera ends up being licenced under some sort of free software licence, then I'll reconsider. Otherwise, Opera is out of the running by default.

chaosgeisterchen
October 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Why not konqueror? Starts up in 1 sec and copes with everday surfing easily.

Rhapsody
October 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Why not konqueror? Starts up in 1 sec and copes with everday surfing easily.

Not having 'Close Left Tabs' and 'Close Right Tabs' options or the ability to move tabs drove me crazy after a few days using Konqeuror. There's some other things, but that was the main stuff I couldn't live with. If there's a solution for that, I'm listening.

chaosgeisterchen
October 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM
It really depends on what you expect from your browser to do. I tweaked Konqueror around a little bit, hiding the tabbar-buttons, making it possible to middle-click-close tabs and having the tabbar at the bottom but nothing more than that. I simply love that Konqueror gives me the opportunity to both use it for file and webbrowsing. Embedded applications are the reason why I chose it.

missmoondog
October 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM

i'll tell you why. it's because of all the brain dead individuals who can't make a decision on their own and have to do as others (fanboys) do. ](*,)

they just can't help themselves to make an intelligent decision on their own!

otherwise, anybody with any real intelligence knows opera rulez!! especially on windows.

in linux, opera isn't quite as noticeably faster, but it still blows away firefox!

jdong
October 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I may be wrong but there doesn't seem to be a explicit 64 bit version of Opera where there is a 64 bit version of FF and yes you do notice the difference in opening times between 32 bit Firefox and 64 bit Firefox.

So unless there is a 64 bit version of Opera, I'd put my money on Firefox 64 being faster on a 64 bit system.

:-|

64-bit Firefox does not benchmark significantly faster than 32-bit Firefox in rendering time or javascript benchmarks... and it uses a bit more RAM than 32-bit Firefox due to larger intrinsic sizes...

midwinter
October 28th, 2006, 04:01 PM
If Opera was free, could use the extensions I like and adopted my GTK theme I guess I would be using it. Maybe...

mahy
October 28th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Opera. Smaller, faster, no need of extensions. Ok, i can imagine having some added functionality in Opera (particularly "Remember Mismatched Domains" extension from Firefox), but i can live without it. Frankly, this extension hype is giving me a headache. I use it because i know i'm using a state-of-the-art browser that'll probably never be a target of viruses and worms. Firefox for windows is slowly becoming a target.

While i'd love Opera to become open-source, i understand it'd undermine its design philosophy. Keeping the code closed is the best way to avoid software bloat and stick to the KISS principles.

kopilo
October 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Jdong:
Well on my system the difference is very apparent and I'd hope a 64 bit program would use more resources then a 32 bit.

Mahy:
I think you're right, at the end of the day this is probably like sponge cake with cream, chocolate and a choice of fruits to go on top (firefox) vs fruit cake (opera), both are acceptable as long as they meet each person's needs and wants.

Extensions are ok but only if you use them and only if you can't do the same thing any other way, they do put extra load onto your system. They aren't the be all and end all.

katgfan
October 28th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Well extensions are not needed by most well written programs

Flamekebab
October 28th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Flock.

mustang
October 28th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Been using opera more lately. Still I miss adblock + whitelist from firefox :/

Tamil
October 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Been using opera more lately. Still I miss adblock + whitelist from firefox :/Don't you use content blocker? You can add whitelist manually under [include] in urlfilter.ini file in your profile.

jpkotta
October 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Whoa, you hit the nail on the head. Opera is part of the reason I use FVWM.

One night several years ago, someone showed me Opera and Knoppix. I was using Mozilla at the time (this was before FF), but tried Opera and fell in love with it. Later, when I got my own computer, I tried Mandrake Linux.

Opera has the most comfortable UI by far of just about any program. It's so good, it got me thinking about UIs in general, and what I like and dislike about them. I decided to optimize my desktop, found FVWM and it's infinite flexibility, and drew some inspiration from Opera.

My only complaint is that Opera spoiled me. I get frustrated to no end with IE or an un-extended Firefox.

shining
October 28th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Opera is really amazing, it's certainly the best browser overall.
Though firefox is pretty decent also, and the fact that it's open source is a huge advantage. It's already my main browser, but if it was as fast and light as opera, that would be the perfect browser for me.
Konqueror is ok, it's maybe slightly faster and lighter than firefox, but its interface and rendering seem less polished than the two others, I don't find it as mature.

mahy
October 28th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Opera is really amazing, it's certainly the best browser overall.
Though firefox is pretty decent also, and the fact that it's open source is a huge advantage. It's already my main browser, but if it was as fast and light as opera, that would be the perfect browser for me.
Konqueror is ok, it's maybe slightly faster and lighter than firefox, but its interface and rendering seem less polished than the two others, I don't find it as mature.

To be fair i've gotta say Firefox does much better in plugins. Not extensions: plugins. Wmv, quicktime, flash, pdf ... can be a nuissance in Opera. It's partly because among influential people, no one likes Opera much. Opera was the last one to receive gzipped google search results, the only one to be blocked from msn.com and so on...

Buzzygirl
October 28th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I have Firefox and Opera, but find I don't use any of the FF extensions. I like Opera 9.02 and use it pretty much exclusively.

kuja
October 28th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Opera is nice, a definite win when it comes to speed. It also has the best caching options of any browser out there by far, so it's also my choice if I have to work with slow and/or high latency connections. I use Konqueror more often lately though just because it starts faster and integrates better.

ice60
October 29th, 2006, 12:10 AM
It works partially, 4/10 times it will work.
thanks, i've started using the old version again. :|

hansheng
December 2nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
thanks, i've started using the old version again. :|

you can try weekly build, now is 9.10
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/
choose opera_9.10-20061201.6-shared-qt_en_i386.deb

please make sure that backup home/.opera/wand.dat before upgrade. because the wand data is stored in a new format.

./
yes, I just using Opera, a safe browser, and nice function for me. maybe for you too. ;)

olejorgen
December 2nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Opera with dapper skin (http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=4236)

jincast90
December 2nd, 2006, 06:10 PM
In their default setup I think Opera is soo nice! But I must say the biggest and probably only reason for me to use firefox is its addons.. I love the addons! :D If they were not present I would probably use Opera.

Btw. Why not make a poll?

addicted68098
December 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
For some reason I enjoy using Firefox more in Linux, although I didn't give opera much time, but in windows I use opera 99% of the time.

adka
December 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera
It works partially, 4/10 times it will work

I havent ever had proplems with flash. Opera has good compatibility with FF plugins.

Also opera works fine rendering msn.com. note you can mask it has firefox.

Opera features some of the nicest security, ui and tabbing. Note that Opera has featured tabbing and a custimized search bars since vs3/4? thats some 4 years. Opera is very slick and has very fast rendering abilities. It has been a mature browser for quite some time

I test FF every once in a while as i am interested in the abilities of each browser. However, for the last 4 years opera has provided the best features to me. Also note with every new release of FF it has become more and more similar to Opera. ect. search and tab bars

Some interesting pluses for FF are its community, regular updates and fixes, and its rapid development. It will most likely surpass operas speed and other features in the near future, as Opera only gets updated every year or so. Then theres 64 bit...

One problem with opera is it has some scripting errors. ex. in ebay.com

jdhore
December 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
i've used both Firefox 2 and Opera 9 in the past couple of months...i personally think Firefox is better in every possible way...it's open, it's got kick-*** extensions, it's missing some functionality of Opera (bittorrent client, mail/news reader, etc.), but Opera doesn't do those things very well anyway...Opera's OK, but for now, Firefox FTW!!!

ragnar_123
December 2nd, 2006, 11:50 PM
firefox!!

it's open source..

dbbolton
December 3rd, 2006, 12:44 AM
firefox wins out on customisation.

opera wins out on functionality.

iPower
December 3rd, 2006, 04:23 AM
Firefox

Bloch
December 3rd, 2006, 04:30 AM
I'm puzzled that no-one mentions the big downside of Opera for me: the poor ability to play streamimg media. I once tried to get mplayer plugin working and had to give up - from looking through the forums other people have difficulties too.

So do people using Opera not bother with streaming video? It's not a crucial feature for me, but occasionally I like to watch a trailer etc. If opera could do that I'd use it all the time.

How many Opera users have mplayer plugin working?

aysiu
December 3rd, 2006, 04:48 AM
Just adding a poll to this thread and merging it with some history.

By the way, I prefer Firefox, even though Opera is much faster.

Tipo
December 3rd, 2006, 04:55 AM
Firefox, hands down.

It really allows me to go back and forth between Mac/Linux/Windows and hot have to use different programs for browsing

aysiu
December 3rd, 2006, 05:01 AM
Firefox, hands down.

It really allows me to go back and forth between Mac/Linux/Windows and hot have to use different programs for browsing
While I agree that Firefox is a great choice (and I prefer it over Opera), I hope you know that Opera is also available on all three major platforms (Mac, Linux, and Windows).

SunnyRabbiera
December 3rd, 2006, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera
It works partially, 4/10 times it will work

I havent ever had proplems with flash. Opera has good compatibility with FF plugins.

Flash is off and on in my opera, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
Even when I change my browsers ID it doesnt work.
I have the same issue with java apps.

kuja
December 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Definitely Opera ... some of its interfaces are rather unintuitive, but once I have it set up I'm good to go. It's the fastest browser out there, with the best caching options, and as such saves me a lot of time. The wand, fastforward, and rewind things are very nice too.

maddog39
December 3rd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Firefox by a long shot. Especially in Turbo Mode (e.g. about:config tweak) on FF 2.0. Man this thing leaves tread marks all over my screen. :D

[Edit]
GNOME's Epiphany Web Browser is pretty dang fast as well, and so in Konqueror. Although I dont really use KDE.

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
I prefer Firefox to Opera, because Firefox is Free Software. Even with the trademark issues between Debian and Mozilla, Firefox to me is still Free. However, I have used Opera before, and I love it for two reasons:

1) EVERYTHING opens in ONE window. Downloads, preferences, etc. Sure, I can open a new window, if I want, but I can also keep EVERYTHING in ONE window.

2) Opera 9 is Acid2 compliant. I look forward to Firefox 3, due May 2007, for this reason.

aysiu
December 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
1) EVERYTHING opens in ONE window. Downloads, preferences, etc. Sure, I can open a new window, if I want, but I can also keep EVERYTHING in ONE window. Since you prefer Firefox but also like this feature, you should know there is an extension called Tab Mix Plus that allows you to have a single-window environment in Firefox.

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 09:00 AM
Except for editing preferences, viewing page source, and the download manager. Changing preferences (even Tab Mix Plus) will open in a new window. For me, I prefer Opera's way of handling windows. I would like ANYTHING I open to open in a separate tab. I can do this with the download manager with the Download Manager Tweak extension, and same with a view page source extension, but I would like to see it enabled by default. Also, I'd like to be able to size my tabs in the window, rather than all full-screen. IIRC, you can do this in Opera. I could be wrong about that though.

Malta paul
December 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM
Opera is certainly fast, but my choice is FIREFOX because of its features and available plug-ins.

aysiu
December 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Ah, I didn't know that's what you meant. I stand corrected.

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Ah, I didn't know that's what you meant. I stand corrected.

No problem. :) Maybe we'll see it in 3.0. I think the Mozilla devs could learn a lot from the Opera devs, and vice versa.

ezsit
December 3rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
I've been using Opera since the BeOS days back in 1996 when Opera was the only decent browser for BeOS. I then used Opera under OS/2 and Windows. Opera was the only good browser for QNX when I played with that operating system. I have used Opera for far longer than Mozilla (except the old Netscape browsers/suites).

I like Mozilla suite and Seamonkey, but Firefox always made me cringe. I never liked having to install a seperate email program. Mozilla already had the suite, why split the thing up and produce buggy versions of the browser-only?

I keep firefox around for a backup, but Opera is the sh*t for me.

PS - I've learned to install K3B (which will pull in the base KDE libraries) and libstdc++5 before installing Opera, it goes much smoother that way.

aysiu
December 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
No problem. :) Maybe we'll see it in 3.0. I think the Mozilla devs could learn a lot from the Opera devs, and vice versa.
Actually, the Opera devs have learned a lot. I just tried out the newest Opera, and it's pretty sweet feature-wise. It had more advanced cookie handling, and it had content-blocking (similar to Adblock).

I have to say I'm impressed... but I'll still keep using Firefox for NoScript, FireFTP, Mouseless Browsing, and a whole bunch of other extensions.

ezsit
December 3rd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Plus, Opera can allow you to view the web as it started, in text mode!!! HaHaHa...

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 09:35 AM
Plus, Opera can allow you to view the web as it started, in text mode!!! HaHaHa...

Isn't that what text-based browsers, like Lynx is for? :cool:

ezsit
December 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM
Isn't that what text-based browsers, like Lynx is for?

Sure, but this way you can switch back and forth in the same app. I only mentioned it because I thought it might be amusing.

Polygon
December 3rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
opera is fine, but it isnt open source =/

I prefer firefox better cause it has cooler extensions and the themes are wayyyy better then the ones for opera.

but id use opera and firefox equally if i had to. Nothing wrong with opera, just a preference :D

mushroom
December 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
After deciding that having to reload a page over and over again to get it to render correctly in Konqueror was unacceptable, I went for Opera. Wow. Definite wow. It's damned zippy. I lost the integration with KDE, but hey, if it makes my web experience that much better, then it's a nice trade-off.

SunnyRabbiera
December 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
I prefer Firefox to Opera, because Firefox is Free Software. Even with the trademark issues between Debian and Mozilla, Firefox to me is still Free. However, I have used Opera before, and I love it for two reasons:

1) EVERYTHING opens in ONE window. Downloads, preferences, etc. Sure, I can open a new window, if I want, but I can also keep EVERYTHING in ONE window.

2) Opera 9 is Acid2 compliant. I look forward to Firefox 3, due May 2007, for this reason.

Actually I think number 1 is opera's biggest flaw, the thing is that I dislike leaving my browser open for very long and for large downloads I rather use another browser that has a seperate download manager that I can leave idol.
This is where i think firefox is better.
Other then that Opera is a great browser these days, for proprietary software its top notch but i do wish it had better intergration with linux

daz4126
December 3rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
Firefox. Because of the massive choice of plugins and themes ... and it's open source. It is the reason I moved to Linux and is doing a great job of introducing the masses to open source software.

DAZ

ice60
December 4th, 2006, 01:01 AM
i like opera best, it feels very solid and stable to me whereas firefox feels abit rickety - like it would fall over in a breeze lol.

opera is always ahead of the crowd with standard compliance, security and innovations. plus i have my opera heavily customised - i've added 100s of extra features like being able to click a picture to maximise it, bugmenot button, site checking - DNS, site search (site:sitename.com at google) go to google cache, go to archive.org for the page i'm on, make tinyurl for a link/page, fastforward to the next page and 100s more \\:D/

Nameless_one
December 10th, 2006, 10:40 AM
That's the spirit. Go Opera!

We'll re-take back the web some day, you'll see.

slimdog360
December 10th, 2006, 10:47 AM
konqueror

linuxfrk
December 10th, 2006, 12:46 PM
for me Firefox is better

Lord_Freelancer
December 10th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Firefox, for the addons and extras

xopher
December 10th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I tried Opera out a few weeks backwards, it was nice - but I soon started to miss all the extensions and the easy configurability I had with firefox.

The extensions are the main reason I can't live without fx anymore. I mean, Opera was good, but firefox is what I need ;)

Magnes
December 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I use Firefox. I don't even consider Opera - it's close source app.

tchoklat
December 10th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I use SwiftFox optimised for my AMD processor!

tchoklat

dld
December 12th, 2006, 12:02 AM
I prefer SeaMonkey, but run Firefox and Opera. Opera is only run to display
a couple of pages that I monitor continuously, and that Firefox does not
display or displays incorrectly.

cvmostert
December 12th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I have never used Opera, aside from the fact that I am an Opera Singer! Ha ha! so i will install Opera browser today and explore the technical side of Opera, NOT the artistic side :-)

matchstich
December 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Does anyone here have experience using Firefox on myspace? Because I've heard a few people saying that their FF browser crashed on myspace a lot. I've never had that problem, but I was just curious as to if it was a commonly occuring thing and I"m just lucky or if there was something else up with firefox.

this has happened to me a few times.

matchstich
December 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM
i upgraded to ff 2.0 and am having problems with text size. so, i went and got opera. its ok, i guess. at least, now i can read the text.

glotz
December 12th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Never tried Opera, never will. Ok, when they GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) it, then I will try it!

katgfan
December 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Opera all the way for me. I use everything it has to offer and im satisfied.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
December 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Firefox baby!

daniminas
December 20th, 2006, 11:31 PM
FF 2.0 Rocks! ))

neaolin
December 20th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Opera is sooo coool and fun to use. However, I find that Firefox works for the vast majority of sites I go to. Firefox is my browser of choice.

agurk
December 21st, 2006, 12:11 AM
I wouldn't want to populate my shiny new free operating system with proprietary applications where it could be avoided. Firefox fits in nicely with the rest of the package, while Opera doesn't. It's admittedly a good browser though.

TheRingmaster
December 21st, 2006, 01:29 AM
I prefer SeaMonkey, but run Firefox and Opera. Opera is only run to display
a couple of pages that I monitor continuously, and that Firefox does not
display or displays incorrectly.

I to like the idea of a browser suite. seamonkey is probably the best for that. If opera was gpl'd then maybe I would use that more.

neemz
December 21st, 2006, 01:51 AM
Whats not to love?

TheRingmaster
December 21st, 2006, 05:11 AM
Whats not to love?

the fact that it is not under the GPL license

tebibyte
December 21st, 2006, 11:39 PM
According to http://popcon.ubuntu.com 106 (8.5%) of users who submit their info to popcon use Opera while 946 (76%) use Firefox. 24 (2%) use Epiphany. 368 (30%) used Konqueror. 1240 people submitted their info. It doesn't equal 100% because people can have more than one browser installed.

BarfBag
December 21st, 2006, 11:47 PM
Firefox. Has better plug-ins.

Onyros
December 22nd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Opera is far, far superior to Firefox... in Windows. Its memory usage, footprint is unbeatable.

Plus, it's an IRC client, email client, torrent client, fully customizable, the most secure of all web browsers on any platform save, probably, dillo. Even so, due to its very wide array of possibilities in terms of customization, it can be THE most secure of all.

In Linux, Opera's memory usage is still somewhat lacking, but it's still superior to Firefox's, and feels overall snappier than the Fox.

Other than that, it's just a matter of taste, really. People who claim Opera is not as customizable as Firefox just haven't taken the time to find out.

Opera is the superior product in my opinion, and one of the very few pieces of software I couldn't imagine my online life without.

mdsmedia
December 22nd, 2006, 12:13 AM
I started using Opera back in the dark ages (Windows) at v's 4-6 IIRC. At v7 I couldn't find the free version (not sure if it stopped being free?) and I can't remember whether I went straight to Mozilla or what.

I used Opera because it wasn't IE and it had the option to masquerade as IE, so I think the Mozilla suite might have been what I moved to.

I liked the idea of a separate email client so when Firefox and Thunderbird arrived I was sold. I think I was using Eudora for email.

When I switched to Linux last year and Firefox was the default browser in Ubuntu it was a perfect fit.

During the football world cup I spent a fair bit of time on the official world cup website. During the final I was having problems in the website on Firefox...probably overloaded servers, but I thought I'd try it in Opera. It worked fine, for about 5 minutes, then Opera crashed. I went back into Firefox and it worked fine.

So I'll stick with Firefox.

AND Firefox is open source.

aysiu
December 22nd, 2006, 12:24 AM
Other than that, it's just a matter of taste, really. People who claim Opera is not as customizable as Firefox just haven't taken the time to find out. Why should we take the time to find out? Firefox's customizability is quite obvious. All you do is go to the extensions page, browse the extensions, and click to install the ones you want.

I have yet to find a Bloglines notifier in Opera, a built-in Ubuntu packages search engine in Opera, the ability to open selected links in new tabs in Opera, an FTP client in Opera, or easy Javascript handling like NoScript (yes, you can have site-specific settings but not toggled with one click). Firefox's Adblock is more flexible than Opera's (can isolate particular elements or use wildcards--Opera's content blocker seems to try to think for you). Can you show me the easily installable IETab for Opera?

I'm sorry but the list just goes on and on--Opera is a wonderful browser even without extensions, and it's super, super fast on Windows, Linux, and Mac... but it is nowhere near as extensible as Firefox.

Next time you make a claim like that, back it up.

scojo
December 22nd, 2006, 12:40 AM
I like the way Opera handles RSS feeds, but I'd have to give the nod to firefox overall. Seems like the plug-ins work better. Like flash, java, etc. Just my $.02. And it's open source.

TheRingmaster
December 22nd, 2006, 04:00 AM
I like the way Opera handles RSS feeds, but I'd have to give the nod to firefox overall. Seems like the plug-ins work better. Like flash, java, etc. Just my $.02. And it's open source.
they have been working on this problem with the plug-ins as of late. seems to have been fixed for the most part. (on version 9.10)

TheRingmaster
December 22nd, 2006, 04:02 AM
Why should we take the time to find out? Firefox's customizability is quite obvious. All you do is go to the extensions page, browse the extensions, and click to install the ones you want.

I have yet to find a Bloglines notifier in Opera, a built-in Ubuntu packages search engine in Opera, the ability to open selected links in new tabs in Opera, an FTP client in Opera, or easy Javascript handling like NoScript (yes, you can have site-specific settings but not toggled with one click). Firefox's Adblock is more flexible than Opera's (can isolate particular elements or use wildcards--Opera's content blocker seems to try to think for you). Can you show me the easily installable IETab for Opera?

I'm sorry but the list just goes on and on--Opera is a wonderful browser even without extensions, and it's super, super fast on Windows, Linux, and Mac... but it is nowhere near as extensible as Firefox.

Next time you make a claim like that, back it up.
opera really doesn't need many of the extensions that firefox has because they are built-in, but if you need them opera's widgets are nice.

EdThaSlayer
December 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
I prefer Opera now. The reason being that everytime I run Firefox(2.0) it crashes with a "bus error (core dumped)" problem. Opera also seems to have a better response rate(I click on another tab and it just appears, compared to Firefox's lag in changing tabs)

Onyros
December 22nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Why should we take the time to find out? Firefox's customizability is quite obvious. All you do is go to the extensions page, browse the extensions, and click to install the ones you want.

Next time you make a claim like that, back it up.Hehe, exactly what I had waited for... Firefox seems to do this to people, but I hadn't expected any kind of zealotry towards a piece of software, especially from someone like you, aysiu.

Anyway, even though it is quite pointless, a Bloglines Notifier Widget (http://widgets.opera.com/widget/5030) for Opera, even though I would never endorse an FTP widget, add-on or whatnot, there's obviously one (http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4009) that I know of for Opera as well; Javascript handling is actually another of Opera's shining features, and you can read about it right here (http://my.opera.com/hallvors/blog/show.dml/11218); and I surely would expect you to back up your quote regarding Firefox's extra flexibility when it comes to ad-blocking as well, otherwise my faults become your faults as well: for Opera's excellent built-in ad-blocking (yes, with particular elements filtered, wildcards and all you can think of) take a look here (http://operawiki.info/BlockAdvertisements).

As for an IETab for Opera? What for, really? Especially when one doesn't even have IE installed (is it available for Linux, yet, other than that IE4Linux project? Can you run IETab on Opera, under Linux, to open up IE in Wine?)

Lighten up, aysiu. It was obviously an opinion; actually, my personal opinion in finding Opera the superior product. You see and read lots of opinions out there that are not dissected thoroughly or even well defended, why the particular stab at this one?

BTW, there's much more to customizability than just adding extensions; I had actually meant being able to customize the web browser's built-in functions to your needs. I'll give you a quick example: there were friends of mine complaining they couldn't customize the toolbars exactly to their needs, just like they did in Firefox... They found out, in the end, they hadn't taken the time to find out about Opera's customizability ;)

aysiu
December 22nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
I followed your links, and I have no doubt that eventually you can find some kind of functionality similar to Firefox in the respects I've mentioned, they don't seem as easily attainable. For example, when I clicked on the "download" link for the Bloglines notifier widget, it took me to the download page for Opera, even though I already have Opera installed. And the instructions for setting up Javascript handling look complicated. In Firefox with NoScript, I just click the NoScript icon and can select what elements to unblock--blocking is the default.

IETab is useless in Linux, of course, but both Opera and Firefox are cross-platform, so that's a strike against Opera in Windows.

I do, as I've mentioned before, find Opera a superior product in a couple of ways (speed being the major one), but I just don't see it being as easily customizable as Firefox (I'm glad to see there are widgets, but maybe I've just become so used to the way Firefox does stuff that these Opera widgets just make no sense to me).

Edit: Never mind. I'm an idiot. It asked me to download Opera because I was using Firefox to visit the page (*smacks forehead*). One thing I have to say I'm very impressed with Opera about is its new cookie handling (similar to Konqueror), where it asks what you want to do with the cookies as you get them. You know, I'm going to explore these widgets a bit more. I doubt I'll switch from Firefox--just because I'm more familiar with it, and it's hard to break out of a certain mindset once you're used to it--but the widgets thing has me intrigued.

Okay, again, maybe I'm a moron, but why aren't he widgets part of the browser? They appear to be their own floating windows. Is there a way to integrate them with the toolbar?

Chemist
December 22nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
firefox all the way for me

jimcooncat
December 23rd, 2006, 03:53 AM
OK, I'm jumping because I don't know any better. And I haven't kept up with the latest developments, so enlighten me, please.

I used to love Opera, but I didn't have access to free software at the time. The precursors to Firefox annoyed me with a lot of their "features". When Firefox came out, I switched for freedom's sake. Opera then became ad-free, but I was too far gone by then.

But in the last year, I've pretty much switched to K-Meleon and Epiphany. They both seem to "get" the desktop environment that surrounds them. I love the way they're so snappy, and both have huge potential in the ability to customize them.

But it's been unrealized potential, because I don't see any new stuff being written for them. And they're a little tough to get used to -- or you gotta tweak them to behave like you're used to.

I realize there are ways to make Firefox snappier and more in tune with the desktop. I'm just lazy when it comes to deep browser customization. And I'm tired of installing extensions that aren't updated when the browser is.

Am I really missing out on something here? Am I taking a hard road with Firefox? Has Opera become a friend of the free software world? Won't someone please write some nice scripts for alternative browsers?

foxmulder881
December 23rd, 2006, 04:00 AM
I used to use Opera. But when I migrated to 64bit I found that Opera don't have a 64bit version available. When I emailed Opera Labs and asked when they would release a 64bit version, they told me that there were no current plans to in the future. They claimed 64bit technology was too new for them at present. C'mon, pull the other one! 64bit has been available for years now and is well and truly mature on the desktop. So due to Opera's laziness, I switched to Firefox and admire their efforts with building a 64bit browser. Just a pitty that Adobe, Sun and Opera can't catch up. Corporate laziness.

RAV TUX
December 23rd, 2006, 06:08 AM
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6308/perspectivegl7.png (http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6308/perspectivegl7.png)

oyvindaa
December 23rd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Firefox, of course. Been using it for a few years now.

I've tried Opera but it just doesn't do it for me.

exjinn
December 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I love that comic its sums up so much about the bickering. Thanks for that.

Jorge32
December 26th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I love Opera, I think I've been "married" with it for 3 years or something like that.... It's faster, easier, with more functions, and it runs better on my pc.

infol
December 27th, 2006, 08:25 PM
firefox gets my vote, mainly because opera still uses Qt which makes it really ugly on my gnome enviroment.

robconscient
December 27th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I've been using Phoenix, er, Firebird, sorry - I mean Firefox since the 0.2 or 0.3 days. Of course that was on Windows, but still, it's the only browser I use these days unless I am forced to use another.

Firefox is open source, is massively customizable, and has always been free, as in beer.

I tried Opera once, a couple years ago when the choice was to either pay up or see ads. I didn't like it then, and haven't found a compelling reason to give it another try.

That being said, I am always up for a better browser - maybe I will give Opera a try sometime.

Mateo
December 27th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Use Firefox.

Switched to Opera for a while. If it was up to me, I'd use it always. but they have failed to make a good plugins/extensions system that encourages developers, the way Firefox has. So all of the addins that you get with Firefox are simply not there for Opera. The Opera ad-blocker is a shadow of Firefox's. The bookmark synchronizer is a shadow of Firefox's (and requires additional software, last I checked).

Until Opera adds better extensions/plugins, I'll (unfortunately) be sticking with Firefox.

ahaslam
December 27th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I really like both Opera (8&9) & Firefox (1.5&2.0). I would probably use Opera full time if it didn't use qt themes (no consintency in a gtk environment) and if Evoloution wasn't so good ;)

Tony.

Hex_Mandos
December 27th, 2006, 11:07 PM
FF, because I support FOSS and use several extensions. I would've tried Opera on Windows, but when I wanted to move over from IE it was still a paid browser. Why should I pay when I can use FF for free?

A big plus for Opera is that it's fully standards compliant, while FF falls short. Still, FF 3 will pass the Acid2 test, so IMO Opera's biggest selling point will be down.

However, I do recognize Opera is a pretty good browser, and I use it to test my websites.

Praxicoide
December 28th, 2006, 08:10 AM
I'm using Epiphany.

Frak
December 28th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I like Firefox and will remain with Firefox. The reasons being:

1. Firefox is opensource
2. I like the interface more than Opera's.
3. It does not give me any problems, so why should I change??
Bug #X
X - Being the reason to use something else, when what you have works perfectly.

RomeReactor
December 29th, 2006, 01:29 AM
I love both browsers; Firefox is faster and there's not much need to fiddle with plugins to make it work the way i want it to though 2.0 seems a little bit too buggy for my taste; Opera seems more robust to me, it's lighter on my resources, offers a much more complete experience, and since i do a lot of web searching, i like the way Opera integrates sites' search engines (just a couple of clicks away), and yes, i'm one of those weird people who likes it's appearance, gnome-integration or not. And i finally solved my java issue (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=289330&page=2&#post1941530)! So, to summarize, i like and use both, though i find myself using Opera more... :mrgreen:

Max Roswell
December 29th, 2006, 12:23 PM
For some reason, Firefox has been crashing on me a TON lately...like 3 or 4 times a day, so I just started using Opera, and I must say, I like it a LOT. The features are cool, it loads pages wicked fast, and so far, I think I like it better than FF.

[L2G] Slapshot
December 30th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Never used Opera, I first used Firefox when on ( Close your eyes lol ) Windoze and consequently installed it on Kubuntu. :-)

Jacko

darkmatter
December 30th, 2006, 08:56 PM
A heavily modded and always beloved,

E-P-I-P-H-A-N-Y

MeduZa
January 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
seamonkey, for web and email

Quillz
January 24th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Do you prefer Firefor or Opera as your browser with Ubuntu?

I love Opera but I am still having trouble with the Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
What I am looking for is other Opera enthusiast.:mrgreen:
But if most of you are Firefoxers then I might have to switch so I can be on the same page as most. Gotta run with the crowd you know:rolleyes:
Overall, I prefer Opera 9.1 to any other browser, but the lack of extensions annoys me. Also, while Opera is no doubt customizeable, I just find it's harder to move the UI around, whereas it's very easy in Firefox.

Canis familiaris
January 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I like Firefox, Opera and Konqueror.
Since I'm a football freak I prefer Firefox due to the Footiefox extension.
I could stay up-to-date with international leagues with that. 8-)

beanco
January 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I am a newbie to this whole linux thing but lvoiong so far and I love Opera but am having problems with it.

I have FF too, but do not like it as much.

Opera has a nice email lcient. i find it easy to use and does what I want.

I really like the fact that I can have Opera open as it ws when I closed it.. ie. i can have a bunch of window or tabs open and just close the whole thing... go aobut my day, come back, boot up and open opera, continuing where I left off...

robi

Quillz
January 24th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I am a newbie to this whole linux thing but lvoiong so far and I love Opera but am having problems with it.

I have FF too, but do not like it as much.

Opera has a nice email lcient. i find it easy to use and does what I want.

I really like the fact that I can have Opera open as it ws when I closed it.. ie. i can have a bunch of window or tabs open and just close the whole thing... go aobut my day, come back, boot up and open opera, continuing where I left off...

robi
Firefox 2 saves your sessions, as well. You just need to enable it in Preferences.

beanco
January 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
so help this neophile get FF2 from a command line.

robi

Quillz
January 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM
so help this neophile get FF2 from a command line.

robi

sudo apt-get install firefox
If you're using 6.10, it will install Firefox 2 by default. If you're using 6.06, you need to run a script to associate "firefox" with Firefox 2. If not, it will be using Firefox 1.5.

beanco
January 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I am running 6.06

so which is better to start running 6.1 or

to run the script to get FF2?

and how do I do either?

Robi

aysiu
January 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM
It's much better to run the scrip than to upgrade your entire OS for one application:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox has the script.

wert613
January 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
i certainly prefer opera as it only takes 1 second to load a page whereas firefox takes 17...

energiya
January 24th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I use Swiftfox (and voted for Firefox becouse Swiftfox is Firefox)

EmilyRose
January 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I was an avid Opera user in windows and am planning on getting it for ubuntu here in the next day or so... my question is, should I just download it off of the opera site?? Or is there a better/easier way to go?

picpak
January 25th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I was an avid Opera user in windows and am planning on getting it for ubuntu here in the next day or so... my question is, should I just download it off of the opera site?? Or is there a better/easier way to go?

You can go to Applications > Add/Remove, check "Show commerical applications", and download Opera from there.

jeffc313
January 25th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I prefer firefox to opera, but I use konqueror, it integrates with KDE so nicely

dsegarra
January 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Opera. I think its faster plus I love the wand feature which manages all the user/passwords that you want to keep.

EmilyRose
January 25th, 2007, 05:09 PM
You can go to Applications > Add/Remove, check "Show commerical applications", and download Opera from there.

I don't see a checkbox or anythign for commercial apps... do I need to be root?

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 05:37 PM
have you enabled extra repositories?

if not click the third link in my signature and follow the instructions

afterwards open a terminal

and type

sudo apt-get install opera

that should install opera try it by doing

alt+F4
or F2 i dont remeber but when it opens a dialog box type

opera and it should run

hope this helps

EmilyRose
January 25th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Hey that worked, thanks a bunch!!

jclmusic
January 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM
firefox all the way, baby!

Enverex
January 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I'm starting to get sick of Firefox. It's far too crash happy (just likes to occasionally close itself for no reason, especially with lots of tabs open). Opera has toolbars that look like Windows 98 and generally feels rather unpolished. So to be honest I kinda don't like either anymore but don't really have much choice so I use Firefox in the hopes that it'll work better in the future, but the fact it's become slow, heavy and crash happy (everything that everyone originally liked about it, or rather than it wasn't, which everyone liked, has now gone out the window) makes me wonder why many still use it.

Clouseau
January 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I tried Opera on XP and it worked fine. Something different than the Juggernaut IE... however, I agree that the Firefox interface is better to deal with. Also, being the newbie green-bean, its easier to get help from you guys.:mrgreen:

Happy_Man
January 26th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I really do find myself agreeing with Enverex on this one. Opera on Windows is absolutely top-notch, however on Linux it's kinda...lame. Firefox, then, is ridiculously slow for a guy who just come off of Opera on Windows, and it's eating up too much memory. I'd rather see something that combines the best of both. Perhaps that will come in Firefox 3.0?

Cannaregio
March 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
I can understand people comepelled to use the MSIE crapola at work, poor sods.

But why, oh why people use Firefox instead of Opera beats me too.

I mean, Firefox is not bad at all, and with a lot of work and adding extensions like a collectionist, you CAN configure Firefox so that it is almost as good as Opera out of the box, but it still remains much sloooooower.

Only reason I can think of, and even slightly relate to, is that Firefox is real open source, whereas Opera is proprietary. Ok: but then you shouldn't even use Ubuntu at all and go over to Gnewsense or other 'pure' distros...

Trust me. If you think Firefox is good (which it is indeed) try Opera INSTEAD of Firefox and gasp in awe at the speed.

maniacmusician
March 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
(referring to 74% using Firefox)

I wish I could force feed people a good dose of Opera. Show them the light. I'd like to get that number down to 35%.
I agree, Opera is a much better browser as far as aesthetics and speed go. I love using it whenever I have the chance. However, most of the time, I stick with Firefox. I don't really like it (it's slow, crashes often these days, takes up a crapload of memory), but I really am in love with the extensions. some of the usability ones just make it worth having, despite all of it's flaws.

If Opera had a better extensibility system, and some more users to make those extensions, I think it'd be miles ahead of Firefox right now. The rest of it's code is certainly superior.

Firefox could probably get better if it ditched XUL; but then all the extensions and fun things would go too, so that's not going to happen. I guess they could improve the bloatiness of XUL, but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

FyreBrand
March 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
I can understand people comepelled to use the MSIE crapola at work, poor sods.

But why, oh why people use Firefox instead of Opera beats me too.

I mean, Firefox is not bad at all, and with a lot of work and adding extensions like a collectionist, you CAN configure Firefox so that it is almost as good as Opera out of the box, but it still remains much sloooooower.

Only reason I can think of, and even slightly relate to, is that Firefox is real open source, whereas Opera is proprietary. Ok: but then you shouldn't even use Ubuntu at all and go over to Gnewsense or other 'pure' distros...

Trust me. If you think Firefox is good (which it is indeed) try Opera INSTEAD of Firefox and gasp in awe at the speed.Opera is a fine browser, but I'm not sure if it can do what I want it to. Even if it can I don't really want to relearn how to do everything. Why? Firefox is easy to use and that is an important feature for a lot of people. After Firefox I would rather use Konqueror anyway.

The deal breaker for me is the Google extensions and functionality I have with Firefox.

I agree with maniacmusician that it's kind of a sluggish beast. I don't get many crashes, but I do see it sucking up memory.

aysiu
March 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
I've tried Opera and find it hard to use. Its speed is undeniable. But with tabbed browsing and a broadband connection, that little fraction of a second is practically meaningless to me.

I like the search engine in Firefox (not the search key letters in Opera). I like the extensions I have in Firefox, and I don't believe Opera has them implemented in the way I like--NoScript, Adblock, Bloglines, Tab Mix Plus. I can't figure out the point of widgets or how they work. For example, the Bloglines widget only appears when I explicitly click for it to appear--and then it's some floating icon instead of part of the browser. In Firefox, the Bloglines symbol is always in my status bar and just gets a little red dot on it if I have any updated RSS feeds.

One thing I do like better in Opera, in terms of implementation, is cookie handling--where you can be prompted for every cookie you get (sort of like Konqueror). In Firefox, there's nothing like that. If anyone knows of a good extension to handle cookies that way in Firefox, please let me know. I browsed addons.mozilla.org but couldn't find anything.

Some of the annoyances I have with Opera are actually specific to its behavior with certain websites. For example, at work, there's a website I have to use every day that has annoying drop-down menus that Opera simply does not display (probably because they're not W3C-compliant), and those menus are nice to have. At home, the Ubuntu Forums with Opera tabs from the Quick Reply box to Go Advanced, but with Firefox tabs from the Quick Reply box to Post Quick Reply. If I'm typing a quick reply, I want to submit it quickly. I don't want to go advanced.

I also don't like the tab closing behavior in Opera. I oftentimes open a whole bunch of tabs. Some of them I close right away. Others I keep open and want to come back to later... much later. But in Opera, every time I close any tab (not necessarily the one next to that first tab I kept open), the focus will keep returning to that first tab. In Firefox, it won't return to that first tab until I Control-Tab to it. I like that. That might annoy other people, but Firefox behaves the way I want it to behave.

That's the bottom line: use what works for you. Yes, Opera is fast, but fast isn't all that matters... at least to me.

fuscia
March 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
i've become an opera junkie. aside from the speed, i love that wand thing. it allows me to decide if i want to enter my login info, or not, and it keeps track of all my usernames and passwords, including yahoo (which i always found odd that firefox did not). also, having recently turned my right hand into a dead fish from using my mouse too much, i'm loving operas keyboard shortcuts. i'm using the mail thing, too. i like it. most of my emails are casual, so i feel no lack of function.

Khaos
March 23rd, 2007, 04:57 AM
@Aysiu - try using CookieSafe; it handles my cookies well and lets me behave the way I want them to. ^^ You can deny setting cookies globally and just click the small cookie at the lower right portion of the browser to allow your box to save the cookies for the website your visiting.

At first, I was really enjoying Opera becausw of the said speed and efficiency of the browser. In the long run, I just missed my extensions because I was very used to how I control how my browser behaved.

Another thing with Opera that I never figured out is sometimes it takes a long long time to load pages. I would click a link and it would just not open :/ But yeah it all boils down to what works best for you. ^^

aysiu
March 23rd, 2007, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try CookieSafe, actually, but I kind of like being asked every time (even though it's annoying at first). Sometimes you're not sure what cookies you're getting and if they're the kind you'd want to keep or not.

LookTJ
March 23rd, 2007, 06:08 AM
Number 3. The problems with the profiles.. How many times have I lost my default profile with all the bookmarks and thingies in it?

For bookmarks, have you ever heard of the delicious addon (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1532)?

It saves your bookmarks to your delicious account online so you don't have to lose them.

TheRingmaster
March 23rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
For bookmarks, have you ever heard of the delicious addon (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1532)?

It saves your bookmarks to your delicious account online so you don't have to lose them.
foxmarks, is what i use for bookmark remembrance.

RAV TUX
March 23rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
I voted for Other, specifically: SeaMonkey (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/) I just love the animated SeaMonkey Icon with bubbles.

Cannaregio
March 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Opera is a fine browser, but I'm not sure if it can do what I want it to. Even if it can I don't really want to relearn how to do everything. Why? Firefox is easy to use and that is an important feature for a lot of people. After Firefox I would rather use Konqueror anyway.

The deal breaker for me is the Google extensions and functionality I have with Firefox.

I fail to understand that: Firefox first and Konqueror second? Does not make much sense to me.
You see: Konqueror is running in a different (retarded) context.
The game is just between Firefox and Opera, everybody else is far behind.

Opera is EASIER to use as Firefox (that is indeed a fine and easy to use browser) because you don't have to install/add/extend nothing at all.
Everything you need is already there, well integrated and quick, quick, quick (really quick, try it).

Please come back to earth and to GNU/Linux users. They usually choose appz personally, mostly by trial and error (as opposed to just buying/slurping whatever some idiot in Redmond thinks is good for you). So do the same, try things out. Allow sufficient time to simmer, choose the best for you, not the trendy for the slavemasters.

We are speaking about BROWSING for Godzilla's sake...
it's (again and again) mostly, not only, yet mostly, duh, a matter of SPEED.

Hence:
Why do we use a browser at all?
To get info
To download stuff
To access sites
To break into databases (eventually)
To have some pseudo-anonymity
To cover our tracks
To see/hear/watch/check/search/find whatever on the deep web...

So: the quicker, the better.

Opera gives you SPEED (and functionality... and SMALLER footprints... and "out of the box" usability, but especially SPEED). The advantage is speed (and everything's there, so you don't have to fiddle with extensions when you upgrade version/system, whatever... and this is also no minor advantage either, come to think of it).

Downside of Opera: it is not opensourced (yet), alas. But it is free, no strings attached, no ads attached.

It's up to you: and any GNU/linuxer chooses what's best for him... right so!
But I'll repeat it again: firefox is a good fine... how should I say? "politically correct" browser, but slow and boring... about sheer speed, not overbloated "codeness" and functionality Firefox has still QUITE A LOT to learn from Opera.

Again: MSIE, epiphany and Konqueror are not running in this context at all. With all due respect, they are second-tier browsers.
Lynx, if ever, for speed. But Opera is still quicker :-)

If you are serious about web-browsing, then, frankly, Opera has no rivals. Should you trust what I say just coz I say it?
Not at all.

Try Opera and then judge by yourself: it costs nothing, will (I bet) save your browsing life.

dspari1
April 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM
I fail to understand that: Firefox first and Konqueror second? Does not make much sense to me.

Opera is EASIER to use as Firefox (that is indeed a fine and easy to use browser) because you don't have to install/add/extend nothing at all.
Everything you need is already there, well integrated and quick, quick, quick (really quick, try it).

Please come back to earth and to GNU/Linux users. They usually choose appz personally, mostly by trial and error (as opposed to just buying/slurping whatever some idiot in Redmond thinks is good for you). So do the same, try things out. Allow sufficient time to simmer, choose the best for you, not the trendy for the slavemasters.

Hence:
To get info
To download stuff
To access sites
To cover our tracks

Opera gives you SPEED (and functionality... and SMALLER footprints... and "out of the box" usability, but especially SPEED). The advantage is speed (and everything's there, so you don't have to fiddle with extensions when you upgrade version/system, whatever... and this is also no minor advantage either, come to think of it).

Downside of Opera: it is not opensourced (yet), alas. But it is free, no strings attached, no ads attached.

But I'll repeat it again: firefox is a good fine... how should I say? "politically correct" browser, but slow and boring... about sheer speed, not overbloated "codeness" and functionality Firefox has still QUITE A LOT to learn from Opera.

Again: MSIE, epiphany and Konqueror are not running in this context at all. With all due respect, they are second-tier browsers.

If you are serious about web-browsing, then, frankly, Opera has no rivals. Should you trust what I say just coz I say it?
Not at all.

Try Opera and then judge by yourself: it costs nothing, will (I bet) save your browsing life.

You are dead wrong when you call Konqueror a second teir browser:
1. Firefox 2 does not pass the Acid 2 test; Konqueror does pass the Acid 2 test.

2. Firefox for Linux is not as compatible with sites; try looking at www.foxnews.com and www.abcnews.com flash videos. Konqueror is able to play them, why can't Firefox?

3. Konqueror is able to spoof its id giving you more anonymity.

4. KMPlayer browser plugin for Konqueror has both the mplayer and xine engine integrated; thus giving the user more compatibility. The totem plugin for firefox is nice, but it's not as compatible (check out the streaming videos at www.gamespot.com)

5. The only site that I have ran into where Konqueror has fallen shorter than Firefox is www.msnbc.com

With that said, I'm not saying that Konqueror is better or even on par with Opera(I still have to test it), but it definately isn't second rate if you compare it to firefox.

Galoot
April 22nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
This thread's still going two years later? Heh.

I switched to Firefox a couple of months ago, after being an Opera zealot since the 5.x days. I still think Opera's faster and sleeker, but its built-in extras (RSS, Bittorrent, IRC, etc.) just stopped being good enough. They get the basic job done, for sure, but the same can be said for Windows WordPad. After a while, I wanted more power and options. I found myself running more programs than I used to run, using Opera only for its core browsing capabilities.

It was FF's Web-Dev toolbar that finally won me over. After that, I found other extensions which added functionality Opera never had. Knowing I can write my own extensions should the need arise was the final deal-maker.

Having FF as my full-time browser took some getting used to, and there are still some Opera features I miss (mail foremost), but I'm satisfied overall. There's more support out there for FF than for Opera, and I'm enjoying the break from trying to convince site owners to support Opera despite its tiny market share.

I would still heartily endorse Opera to anyone who might be happy with the basic built-in stuff, without hesitation. It's just no longer what works best for me.

stimpack
April 22nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
With that said, I'm not saying that Konqueror is better or even on par with Opera(I still have to test it), but it definately isn't second rate if you compare it to firefox.

You are completly correct, Konq is top-class, non-kde users tend to assume that konq is equivalent to 'their' inbuilt browsers, it is not, it is fully featured Grade A browser that has *many* advantages over firefox.

However, I use Linux/OS X and Windows, I need a cross-platform experience, which Konq isnt :).

Like many people, I admire Opera *greatly* in so many ways it blows FF away. But I use firefox..... too many extensions I now rely on for day to day uses.

If opera could use firefox's extensions, I think we would have a winner. (feature and use wise, I realise it is closed and therefore not suitable for all).

Khaled Khalil
May 3rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
but where is konqueror ? it is the best browser of all non-opera

but really i appreciate firefox, when you make a fresh install of ubuntu you only had firefox and w3m, frankly, i prefer firefox over w3m to go to http://www.opera.com/download/

gtr225
May 13th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I have been using Firefox since it was a beta and before that I was using Mozilla but it seems the Opera is indeed faster than Firefox on Ubuntu. So for now I'll use Opera until (hopefully) that day comes that Firefox is fast again.

cotcot
May 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I voted Opera. It is fast and I appreciate the email function inside the same program. I am happy that opera installs well now. (that was not the case with older versions; but that was due to the transition from a payed version to free version)..

goumples
May 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Opera is by far my favorite. After trying it, I cant bring myself to use any other browser.

beanco
May 14th, 2007, 08:33 AM
out of curiousity... jus thow important is your vesion of Ubuntu, i.e dpaper, edgy or fesity

to the way your opera and-or firefox work?

I have said it before that I like opera because it ixs fast, it has a mail client it saves sessions.

FF does not, well FF2 does save sessions but try getting it to run in dapper...

robi

gtr225
May 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I think it's important because the version of Ubuntu you have can indicate what version of other programs you have that the browser might depend on.

Frak
May 14th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Versions of Dependencies and whether they are there or not. I.E. Python is usuallly the culprit.

xmido
May 15th, 2007, 01:28 AM

Hence:
To get info
To download stuff
To access sites
To cover our tracks

Not at all.

i agree

GS2
May 15th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Wrong license on Opera a very good reason not to use it !! Prefer konqueror - but then I use KDE

earobinson
May 15th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Firefox For The Win

crimesaucer
May 15th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Opera's not for me...

Firefox + userChrome.css + the fact that it uses whatever xubuntu gtk theme I use when in the default classic skin + extensions + about:config + best compatibility for most web pages = better then Opera for my enjoyment.

Opera is very fast and stable, but I hate most of the themes, and the widgets suck. I miss certain extensions, and don't feel like messing with the userscripts for things like Google thumbnails and or gmail skins, and I prefer Xine-ui to mplayer, so having the mediaplayer extension on Firefox always kept me using Firefox.

So I un-installed Opera for a while.

misfitpierce
May 15th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Opera without a doubt here

tehkain
May 15th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Firefox for now. Epiphany when I get session restore and spell check with corrections. I want to try opera but I am looking for a gtk app.

joe.turion64x2
May 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Firefox all the way. It has all the features I want it to have and is entirely free. I really don't care it is a little more heavy than other browsers since my computer has power to spare.

Joe.

davbren
April 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hey, I've always been a firefox fan, but recently I've had to use some old hardware so I decided to try Opera, I must say I was most impressed. Especially with the mail app inside it. I'm bemused that a lite thunderbird hasn't been inegrated into firefox...

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hey, I've always been a firefox fan, but recently I've had to use some old hardware so I decided to try Opera, I must say I was most impressed. Especially with the mail app inside it. I'm bemused that a lite thunderbird hasn't been inegrated into firefox...

Firefox is meant to be "just a browser", however, it is (or was, if Fx3 works) a memory hog. Opera has a much better cache system and is faster because of it.

I believe the Mozilla suite was all one thing, but was split up into individual apps.

If you do IRC, Opera's IRC client is pretty good and easy to use as well. I used to use it, but use irssi now.

tgrisier
April 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Firefox used to be my favorite browser but lately Flock has been seeing a lot more use on my computer.

Frak
April 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Firefox used to be my favorite browser but lately Flock has been seeing a lot more use on my computer.
Flock is just Firefox with more extensions and an interface-lift.

dslater
September 22nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I don't like ads on pages, I sure didn't want them in my browser.
Like Rikostan I abandoned Opera (for Netscape) back in the 90's, but haven't tried it since, hence no vote yet. That older non-free Opera wasn't noticeably faster in whichever Windows I was running at the time (as best I recall '98SE), nor did it compare well with IE on the Mac (System 7, I believe).

Now that I've moved from Ubuntu under vmware on XP to vice versa, I really ought to retry some of my abandoned browsers just to see how they stack up these days. I've long since become a Firefox fan, so I doubt I'll change my default browser no matter what I find, but in fairness I really ought to take a look. :)

aaamos
September 26th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I really like the little globe-humper, but when it comes to all-round browser supremacy, nothing comes close to Opera for me.

I keep FF around for some things, but my main gripe with FF is that in order for it to be a really great browser, it needs lots of extensions, and maintaining those extensions when new versions come out always turns into a bit of a nightmare, not to mention extensions biting each other... whereas Opera works great out-of-the-box and can be customised just the way I like it, and those customisations aren't lost everytime I upgrade to a newer version.

It'll get interesting when Chrome becomes a bit more mature and usable. The idea of running tabs as separate processes seems great, I wonder when Opera and FF will adopt them (Chrome has adopted so many of Opera's and FF's innovations...).

Bottom line for me: as long as Hindernet Exploder keeps losing market share, be it to Opera, FF, Konqueror, Safari, Chrome, or whatever else is out there, the web will benefit and become a better place, for web developers as well as for the general public.

Hackermaster
September 26th, 2008, 06:38 AM
what about chromo

LaRoza
September 27th, 2008, 03:13 AM
what about chromo

On Ubuntu ;)

steveneddy
September 27th, 2008, 03:22 AM
konkourorer (er) is too weird, Opera is clunky, epiphany is slow and feels buggy

I like FF because of the add ons and the skins.

It just feels like a moldable piece of software to do what I want it to do.

LaRoza
September 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM
konkourorer (er) is too weird, Opera is clunky, epiphany is slow and feels buggy

I like FF because of the add ons and the skins.

It just feels like a moldable piece of software to do what I want it to do.

Or you are used to it?

I feel Fx is clunky. Opera has all I need and more built in without eating up ram, corrupting the cache, or crashing.

Canis familiaris
September 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Or you are used to it?

I feel Fx is clunky. Opera has all I need and more built in without eating up ram, corrupting the cache, or crashing.

+1.
The only downside of Opera is few web sites do not tend to work with it, inspite of it being a standard compliant browser.

mc4100
September 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Or you are used to it?

I'm skeptical that Opera doesn't crash once in a while. ;)

My browser of choice is Firefox, simply because it's the fastest browser for me, and I can further tweak it to perfection in about:config.

Edit: Also, as of 3.1b1pre, it likes to hover at ~50 megs of memory, and I've never seen it go above 150. And is lightning fast, and super stable. uh-oh, I think I'm coming over like a Mozilla freak, but the minute they slip and things go downhill, it's bye-bye Firefox.

techmarks
September 27th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I like Opera best, it's designed nicer than the other ones.
Looks better.

But it has one issue for me, my online banking web site doesn't look right in Opera (only in Opera)

LaRoza
September 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I'm skeptical that Opera doesn't crash once in a while. ;)

Sometimes a flash site will cause it to have issues, but Fx seems to have issues by itself. If it doesn't crash, the cache gets get messed up.

mc4100
September 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Sometimes a flash site will cause it to have issues, but Fx seems to have issues by itself. If it doesn't crash, the cache gets get messed up.
Is there a bug report? I'd be happy to try and reproduce it on 3.1 b1pre -- if only to find out what happens when the cache gets corrupted.
I've had almost zero issues with Flash since upgrading to a newer PulseAudio, a Flash 10 release candidate, and Firefox 3.1 b1pre.
So Flash, for the first time, is crash-free for me.
But that is not to say there is no issues in general: Digg.com currently doesn't work, except when in safe-mode (but I expected issues when I forced incompatible Add-ons), and Flash Video does stutter on Vimeo (but doesn't crash :)).
I recommend you have a look at Firefox 3.1 in a few months; it's going to receive a huge JS boost from TraceMonkey, and reduced memory. Then again, if you're set on being an Opera fan, I do understand.

Actually, I was actually thinking of running some speed tests, can you recommend an Opera version (beta's are fine)?

Patto77
September 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Opera with firefox like add-ons and you'd have a clear winner.

I only stick with FireFox now because of the add-ons.

gunnar123
September 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Actually, I was actually thinking of running some speed tests, can you recommend an Opera version (beta's are fine)?

Yes, I am using 9.5.2 on Ubuntu 8.04, an advantage it does less I/O so it's leaner on the eeePC where I am typing this.

Check it out, the new tab solution for defining and retaining favourite tabs is really usability enhancing. However it insists on operatng as a bit torrent client as soon as it's fed a torrent file, it should hand it over to Transmission instead.
:guitar:

Seventh Reign
September 28th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Avant and Orca!

Too bad they're not available in Linux .. I dont believe.

doorknob60
September 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Firefox. But, when I can get my hands on a Qt4 AMD64 Ubuntu build of Opera, I might reconsider :)

OutOfReach
September 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I have just tried Opera and it is now my default browser. :) Everything is just faster (including scrolling!).
BTW can a fellow Opera user tell me how to get something like AdBlock Plus and NoScript?

LaRoza
September 28th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I have just tried Opera and it is now my default browser. :) Everything is just faster (including scrolling!).
BTW can a fellow Opera user tell me how to get something like AdBlock Plus and NoScript?

Right click.

Block Content (warning, not as flexible as AdBlock, but if you are going to places with complex ads, you'll have to deal with them yourself).

For NoScript, Opera has that built in.

Tools->Quick Preferences.

You can also right click and go to Page Preferences.

doorknob60
September 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Right now I'm giving Konqueror a second shot at becoming my default browser (it's always been a secondary browser). It's looking good. It blends in better than Firefox, it loads fast, and it just works. Oh yeah Flash is a lot more stable too :) I'll try out Opera too, but not having an AMD64 QT4 version means it won't look so good... EDIT: Yeah, Opera's working fine, but it just doesn't blend in, it looks out of place, even compared to Firefox.

OutOfReach
September 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Right click.

Block Content (warning, not as flexible as AdBlock, but if you are going to places with complex ads, you'll have to deal with them yourself).

For NoScript, Opera has that built in.

Tools->Quick Preferences.

You can also right click and go to Page Preferences.

Ah thank you. I really am loving Opera.

LaRoza
September 28th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Ah thank you. I really am loving Opera.

As well you should :-)

meho_r
September 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Yes, I am using 9.5.2 on Ubuntu 8.04, an advantage it does less I/O so it's leaner on the eeePC where I am typing this.

Check it out, the new tab solution for defining and retaining favourite tabs is really usability enhancing. However it insists on operatng as a bit torrent client as soon as it's fed a torrent file, it should hand it over to Transmission instead.
:guitar:

You can disable it at least (about:config and disable BitTorrent option).

I like opera much, but it has some problems worst of which is incorrectly displaying some pages (it is probably not up to Opera itself but creators of the page but the fact is: in Opera I can't see page in its "real shape/display"). Most obvious examples are Google Docs and Yahoo mail. Beside that it requires extra tweaking to get fonts displayed correctly on some pages.

But still, I use it often and like it a lot...

L815
September 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM
With the exception of chrome (on windows), Opera is the least clunky browser out there. The interface is sleek, and fits well.
Has just enough features.

I like firefox, but I only use 2 addons whiche Opera already has -_-.
I use a browser to browse, not to live. I don't need X amount of plugins just because I want to view a website or two...

TenPlus1
September 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Both Firefox and Opera are good browsers and each has it's own good and bad points... Opera is really fast when browsing and has many built-in features like adblock, torrent, email, irc chat... Firefox has plugins available to do that too and the movie plugin works great... Both handle flash and java...

doorknob60
September 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Changed mind again. I found a fix for my Flash problems in Firefox, and I also found a skin for Opera that looks pretty good (not as good as Konqueror still). The dealbreaker was that Flash stopped working well in Konqueror. Every time I load a page with Flash, I gotta click refresh before anything shows up (I can right click where it should be and the menu shows up, but just blank white till I refresh). Anyways, I'm gonna use Opera for now, but I simply can't get Java to work (I'm using the AMD64 build). Java works in Konqueror, and it doesn't work in Firefox or Opera, so that's a big plus there, but Flash and looks matter most to me (they're all fine when it comes to speed). Anyone got a fix for my Konqueror FLash issue? I'm on Intrepid AMD64 using the flashplugin-nonfree (which installs a Flash 10 beta from like July??), and I tried manually installing a more recent RC (which worked in Debian AMD64), but then it doesn't work at all...any ideas? EIT: I'm gonna give swfdec another shot now :-D

Skorzen
September 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Firefox!

olejorgen
September 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Did I mentioned this annoying thing firefox does sometimes? (I have never experienced opera doing it I think)

Go to: http://eztv.it/index.php?main=showlist
Scroll a bit down an click on of the shows.
Go back. Firefox does not remember where on the page it was. I've seen a couple other sites where this is a problem too.

voteforpedro36
September 29th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Opera, but Flash is not performing well for me on it, so I'm using Fx for that.

olejorgen
September 29th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Me too. or.. actually flash performes bad for me everywhere (and bogs up the parent browser) so it's mostly to keep it separate from my main browsing.

Another thing I depend on in opera is fit-to-width. It's amazing how many pages that can't be displayed with 860 horizontal pixels. Unless firefox get something like that, I could never switch.

Edit: Btw: don't be scared of by the horrible new opera skin. Tool->Appearance->Find more skins will give you a selection of ok skins.

LaRoza
September 29th, 2008, 01:34 AM

I use Flash 10, with little issues.

Canis familiaris
September 29th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I keep Flash Disabled...generally.

P.S. It's funny I had voted for Firefox...I suppose I voted on this thread some time ago...

Frak
September 30th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I keep Flash Disabled...generally.

P.S. It's funny I had voted for Firefox...I suppose I voted on this thread some time ago...
I voted for Opera at the time, but now I like Fx.

Proves not only that opinions change over time depending on the person, but it was also a loooong time ago.

billgoldberg
October 2nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
I prefer firefox (3).

If I couldn't use it for some reason, I would use Epiphany.

Opera is a "no-go" for me for various reasons.

Frak
October 2nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
I prefer firefox (3).

If I couldn't use it for some reason, I would use Epiphany.

Opera is a "no-go" for me for various reasons.
Same. I would use Epiphany-Webkit though.

medic2000
October 3rd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Althoug Opera seems faster than Firefox in many ways, i still prefer Firefox for it's free software and open source...

ESE150
October 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Firefox.

Opera fans argue that their browser is faster, but speed isn't all that matters. Firefox' add-ons make it much more customizable and useful, capable of fitting any type of needs you might have.

With the exception of chrome (on windows), Opera is the least clunky browser out there. The interface is sleek, and fits well.
Has just enough features.

I like firefox, but I only use 2 addons whiche Opera already has -_-.
I use a browser to browse, not to live. I don't need X amount of plugins just because I want to view a website or two...
No offense, but... that's a ignorant thing to say. Just because you don't need most of the features offered by the add-ons, it doesn't mean that they are useless or "too geeky". That's like saying that the Programs menu in Ubuntu is useless just because it isn't essential, nevermind the fact that it makes your life easier.
I've got about 30 add-ons installed, and all of them serve their purpose, like:

-Making the browser more secure (like NoScript, WOT, etc.)

-Making web browsing easier and more practical, and allowing you to do faster whatever you want (like FireGestures, which makes your life much easier once you master it)

-Making some functiones more efficient (like LiveLink, which alerts you when there's feed, or TabScope and Ctrl+Tab which makes it much easier to switch tabs and find what you're looking for, or Second Search which makes it so that using different search engines isn't a pain in the ***)

-Speeding up downloads (DTA)

techmarks
October 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Althoug Opera seems faster than Firefox in many ways, i still prefer Firefox for it's free software and open source...

Why is that so important then?

Both are good, I prefer Opera.

Opera is nicely designed.

The little button you click for a new tab is nice in FF you have to do two clicks. when Opera is resized the pages looks better than resizing FF. Lots of little refinements like that add up to a better user experience.

ESE150
October 4th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Why is that so important then?
Because thanks to that, there are over 1000 add-ons for Firefox, which make it the most customizable and versatile browser there is, and the one with most features.

in FF you have to do two clicks.
No, you don't. You just have to do a single middle-click.

If you want to open a link in a new tab, then middle-click it.
If you want to open a address that you wrote in a new tab, then simply middle click the arrow in the address bar after writing it.
If you want to open a search in a new tab, then simply write whatever you want to search in the search bar, then middle-click on the search button (or, if you have the proper add-on, you can middle-click on a auto-popup menu that lists all the installed search engines, so that you can choose the one you want to use without wasting time switching it).

when Opera is resized the pages looks better than resizing FF. Lots of little refinements like that add up to a better user experience.
If you check http://addons.mozilla.org/, I'm sure you will find many stuff that is unique to Firefox, so it's not like Opera is the only one with advantages.

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Firefox.

Opera fans argue that their browser is faster, but speed isn't all that matters. Firefox' add-ons make it much more customizable and useful, capable of fitting any type of needs you might have.

No offense, but... that's a ignorant thing to say. Just because you don't need most of the features offered by the add-ons, it doesn't mean that they are useless or "too geeky". That's like saying that the Programs menu in Ubuntu is useless just because it isn't essential, nevermind the fact that it makes your life easier.
I've got about 30 add-ons installed, and all of them serve their purpose, like:

Sorry, but Opera is (in my experience) more configurable than Firefox. First, the UI can be completely customized. For example, the status bar on the bottom of the Firefox window is impossible to customize. In Opera, I can treat that just like any other toolbar, and I have a 'search in page' box, zoom settings, and much more down there. Opera can also be totally customized using user javascript. There are userscripts for almost everything (including NoScript). When I want to use a custom stylesheet in Opera, I just put it in the appropriate folder and I can switch on the fly. In Firefox, I have to either modify userContent.css and restart my browser, or install yet another extension.

Could I customize Firefox to match Opera's functionality? Sure. However, I would need to add so many addons that it would run like a dead armadillo. For me, Opera does the job and still runs fast.

EDIT: Also, could you explain how to change keyboard shortcuts in Firefox? Lat time I checked, you have to install another memory-grabbing extension. In Opera, that configurability is built in.

Mulenmar
October 4th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Personally, unless for some reason I absolutely require Flash plugins on a website, or somesuch ridiculousity, I use Dillo. Fast and light, what more can I say? DSL even uses it.

I've never had a problem with Firefox, but then again I haven't used it a lot.

olejorgen
October 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by medic2000
Because thanks to that, there are over 1000 add-ons for Firefox, which make it the most customizable and versatile browser there is, and the one with most features.
No, this does not require that firefox is open soucre. Lot's of closed source application offers versalite plugin solutions.

emshains
October 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Does anyone think that the Spreadfirefox guys are slightly over-zealous?

I mean, prancing around with the picture of a fox painted on your face, or on a t-shirt doesn't sound very sane to me..

And the browser, well, I know it is a free product, and it is very good, but compared to Opera 8, I think it has a few problems.

Number 1. It is slow to load. Opera is almost instant.
Number 2. It freezes sometimes, when loading a lot of tabs.
Number 3. The problems with the profiles.. How many times have I lost my default profile with all the bookmarks and thingies in it?

IE is definitely worse than Opera and Firefox but it loads faster than Firefox. I don't know why FF is so sluggish, but I think it should be resolved. Who agrees?

Are you kidding me ? Firefox is faster than opera, atleast for me. On my old scrap-box with 1.6ghz/768mb ram it takes longer to load an website, while I am playing WoW in Opera, than I do in firefox. Also, firefox is open-source, that means it will always be free, but any time at operaHQ they can decide, for no particular reason, to charge people for using it. And the support for linux in FF is much more reliable than in Opera, when I try to access a website with flash all around it, opera doesn't run them (because it hasn't got flash in linux), but still slows down, it runs even slower than FF at that point, as if it would be using flash. FF does that faster and it is more memory-friendly.

On the other hand, Opera has a great starting page, with the 9-loaded pages already waiting for you to open them. That is something I'd love to see in FF.

BTW, have you ever heard of songbird ? Its a library based music player, which has Firefox implemented. I don't understand why isn't it implemented in ubuntu yet, but it screams quality and business all around, and its a lot more resource-friendly than firefox and rythmbox opened at the same time. Plus it has cool skin-managment system and a load of plugins to choose.

aysiu
October 4th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm not going to lie. Opera has a great set of default features (no extra plugins necessary), and it is lightning fast. It's the fastest normal browser I've seen (so don't talk to me about Dillo or Lynx).

I still prefer Firefox, because it behaves the way I want it to.

Opera makes having a save-for-later tab annoying, because every tab I close always brings the focus to the save-for-later tab. Firefox will go back to that tab only after I've closed all the other tabs. Opera fans, please don't preach to me--I've already tried every single tab behavior option Opera offers. The behavior remains the same and doesn't fly with how I work.

It's possible to add the "I'm feeling lucky" search to Opera, but it'd take me longer to figure out and Google properly than I care to put the effort into. In Firefox, it's a lot easier to enable that behavior.

Since an Eee PC is my main computer, I don't have a middle-click button, and I do a lot of opening tabs in the background. In Firefox, the way to do that is Control-click. In Opera, I have to press Control-Shift-click. Having to do a double-key combination and then click is annoying to me.

So I admire Opera's speed and its speed dial and its tab previews and all that, but ultimately Firefox behaves the way I want it to, and so I will continue to use Firefox. Since I usually load tabs in the background anyway, rendering speed doesn't have too much practical value to me.