PDA

View Full Version : Did AMD get shafted by ATI?

Beamerboy
December 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Well, if I was an AMD exec today, I would be on the phone to the former chiefs of ATI and screaming them a new ear. Looks like ATI pulled a fast one against AMD and settled the merger just before the DOJ was due to commense anti trust investigations against the graphics chip/card manufacturer.

See http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~114493,00.html

For AMD's official press release.

AMD will now have to face any legal issues raised as a result of the DOJ investigation, just 1 month after they bought the graphics giant that everyone loves to hate.

Paladine

mips
December 3rd, 2006, 03:54 PM
You are making assumptions that this is targeted at ATI although it could just as easily be AMD.

Usually when you buy out a company you do your homework. There are usually also legal issues wrt full disclosure of current & pending legal atction etc.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. If anything it should be aimed at AMD seeing they are kinda cornering a market, words to the effect of anti-trust comes to mind. It's just an investigation anyway, not a legal trial.

halfvolle melk
December 3rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Well, I'm not sure offcourse, but this does look like to an investigation in ATi and nVidia. But we'll hear all about it in a bit.
http://news.com.com/Justice+Dept.+subpoenas+AMD,+Nvidia/2100-1006_3-6140041.html?tag=nefd.top

Beamerboy
December 3rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
You are making assumptions that this is targeted at ATI although it could just as easily be AMD.

Usually when you buy out a company you do your homework. There are usually also legal issues wrt full disclosure of current & pending legal atction etc.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. If anything it should be aimed at AMD seeing they are kinda cornering a market, words to the effect of anti-trust comes to mind. It's just an investigation anyway, not a legal trial.
I am not making any assumptions, the investigation is specifically aimed at ATI as mentioned in multiple press articles on the subject :)

I do do my research thanks.

Paladine

taurus
December 3rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Just try to be civilized on this because if this gets out of hand, flamewar, the thread will be locked...

mips
December 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Well, there is no more ATI as a company, it's now an AMD brand. The subpoena will be served on AMD.

Do you really think ATI was privy to the pending investigation by the DOJ ??? Somehow I think not and you cannot predict what the DOJ will do in the future. If people could predict the future then we would avoid most issues.

This is not just directed to AMD but also nVidia, why Intel has not been included is kinda weird.