PDA

View Full Version : If you had the power to destroy the world...

hk_2999
December 2nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
If you had the power to destroy the world, would you do so?

ComplexNumber
December 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
no. i would use it somehow to do good for the world.
what a strange question.

Titi
December 2nd, 2006, 04:06 PM
yeah, use it as leverage to achieve noble goals :)
i guess you could rule the world with such a power. so, what would you do if you could rule the world?

delfick
December 2nd, 2006, 04:07 PM

probably :D would you ??

delfick
December 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
so, what would you do if you could rule the world?

eat my feet....o wait, that's stallman http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311042 *shudder*

no....i would have my own outdoor cinema to replace my computer monitor..........it makes sense to me :D (and probably some other things as well :p :D)

somuchfortheafter
December 2nd, 2006, 04:29 PM
I would, if I succedded I would have many of the answers I search for.

viper
December 2nd, 2006, 04:49 PM

Strange question !!!:confused:
Would you?

hk_2999
December 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
It's a psychological question actually... the answers to it predict whether you are realistic, pessimistic, optimistic, doubtful, pretentious or just follows what society is doing.

Now back to the question, if you were given the power to destroy the world, would you do so?

viper
December 2nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
No

halfvolle melk
December 2nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
I have this power and I've already destroyed the world many times in countless parallel universes.

Beamerboy
December 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
It's a psychological question actually... the answers to it predict whether you are realistic, pessimistic, optimistic, doubtful, pretentious or just follows what society is doing.

Now back to the question, if you were given the power to destroy the world, would you do so?
No. Neither would I use that power to rule the world through fear.

Paladine

PrinceArithon
December 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'd destroy the world because I hate most of humanity, and an existance with like only 10 people would suck, and living alone for the rest of my days would suck too, so I'd just get rid of the sun, and the sun would get rid of the rest of the planets, and that would be the end for this remote solar system...GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Damn that sounds so...evil lol

drphilngood
December 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
...Damn that sounds so...evil lol

Yes, it does...:confused:

matthew
December 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Uh, no.

Chimes
December 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Depends how I get to destroy the world.

If it was just like a meteor or a thermonuclear bomb or something, I'd be like "naw, those humans ain't that bad. We doing pretty good. Kind of."

But if it was like, something really unexpected and kickass like the earth turning into a giant banana, that would be pretty neat. I'm not sure if it would be neat enough to merit the sacrifice of six billion people... but... I don't know... bananas are pretty neat.

And like, if the earth was going to fly around mars, and then get slingshotted into the sun at like 0.5 AU per second, that'd be so cool. Of course, it'd have to accelerate pretty slowly, just so the people could stay on.

Actually, maybe we could infest the world with troll-men who ate like, everything, including rocks, and used it to make more magical evil trollmen. That sounds like good material for a bad fantasy novel. And at least humans would go out in a romantic, heroic way -- fighting to the end against oppression and evil. Better than just letting everyone die from just cutting and burning and using up our planet just because we're all so desperate to move around this "money" stuff we've created. That'd be pretty pathetic and shameful... it'd be embarrassing really, in an ironic way. A species that died off because it was just so goddamn selfish.

Peepsalot
December 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
I would use my power to destroy other distant uninhabited worlds. Because it would probably be pretty cool to watch. Like a really badass fireworks display.

bobbybobington
December 2nd, 2006, 09:02 PM
No, i wouldn't. I'd probably carry on normally, and if some macho guy wanted to fight me, I'd just laugh at him.

I may threaten to use my power if it would help, or to give mankind a reason to start to colonize mars. Generally speaking, its not wise to play God.

smoker
December 2nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
hme! thought i did that yesterday! what's it doing still here?

DoctorMO
December 2nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
No I couldn't, I love the world too much to destroy it.

If I had the power to destroy worlds, then should I have the power to do other things as well?

Or if it was a question of: 'Would you destroy the world, or let yourself die which would it be?'

final curtain stuff

Peepsalot
December 3rd, 2006, 12:12 AM
No I couldn't, I love the world too much to destroy it.

If I had the power to destroy worlds, then should I have the power to do other things as well?

Or if it was a question of: 'Would you destroy the world, or let yourself die which would it be?'
Uh, but if you destroy the world wouldn't you die anyway? Or are you saying you would stay safe in some space capsule all by yourself?

fuscia
December 3rd, 2006, 12:21 AM

i do have the power to destroy the world, so get me a beer.

ComplexNumber
December 3rd, 2006, 12:33 AM
i do have the power to destroy the world, so get me a beer.
would that be a Carlsburg or a Buddweiser, oh master?

dbbolton
December 3rd, 2006, 12:46 AM
many of us already do. it's called, the american lifestyle.

sure, it might take 50 years and the collective apathy of everyone in the country, but we can do it.

dann0
December 3rd, 2006, 01:29 AM
I liked the banana.
How about changing the world into a giant banana, and keep everything alive?
just for the fun of seeing peoples reactions?

slimdog360
December 3rd, 2006, 04:17 AM
I am actually prince of the sayain race and used to be feared by all as I could destroy entire worlds easily. But lately since I had to team up with kakarot to defeat freezer and then after turning super sayian and saving the world serveral times, I have lost this passion to kill everyone and other worlds.

I think I have gone from geek-cool to geek-uncool just now.

slimdog360
December 3rd, 2006, 04:18 AM
I liked the banana.
How about changing the world into a giant banana, and keep everything alive?
just for the fun of seeing peoples reactions?

I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.

fuscia
December 3rd, 2006, 04:26 AM
would that be a Carlsburg or a Buddweiser, oh master?

newcastle, if you would be so kind.

Frak
December 3rd, 2006, 06:46 AM
I would do it only if we were being attacked like in Enders Game, but without the feeling of sympothy at the end and the long drawn out conclusions of the sequals Speaker of the Dead and Xenocide, and hope that the alien race wasn't refered to as buggers, and destroy their home world not ours, (duh) we still have a little while before the ozone is completely gone.

kuja
December 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM
I would use my power to destroy other distant uninhabited worlds. Because it would probably be pretty cool to watch. Like a really badass fireworks display.
OOh, and whaddaya know, I've got front row seats :D

If I had the power to destroy the world, I'd let everyone know, and take full advantage of it! But I likely wouldn't destroy the world ... unless I needed too. Hey, this could even be used to further free software and obtain a working government, if one applied pressure to the right places! hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

3rdalbum
December 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
If you turn the world into a banana, that would finally lower the price of bananas in Australia :-)

delfick
December 3rd, 2006, 01:32 PM
If you turn the world into a banana, that would finally lower the price of bananas in Australia :-)

amen to that :D

shining
December 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM

I would if everyone was as sad as you.

EdThaSlayer
December 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
I guess I would use that power to rule the world and fund Linux. I would sit on my throne next to the great feet eating monster*hint hint* who is, in fact, a very important advisor to me, the Linux King.

syrleb
December 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
yes i would....sounds like something to do on a lonely night

hk_2999
December 4th, 2006, 03:05 AM
I would if everyone was as sad as you.

Hey - ...
I just found the question on this website:

http://www.cut-the-knot.org/do_you_know/falsity.shtml#notto

To quote:

Writing about a friend of his in his Autobiography, Bertrand Russell recollects the following episode:
I once devised a test question which I put to many people to discover whether they were pessimists. The question was: "If you had the power to destroy the world, would you do so?" I put the question to him in the presence of his wife and child, and he replied: "What? Destroy my library? - Never!"

And thought - wonder how other people would react to this question.