PDA

View Full Version : Video of Stallman picking stuff off his bare foot and eating it

greggh
December 2nd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Stallman really is a strange guy. I was watching a video of a speech he gave at a University in Calgary, and about 3/4 into the speech he sits down, takes off the shoe and sock of his left foot, starts picking at his foot, and starts eating whatever he was picking... all while continuing to take questions from the audience.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6390784544771380326

He sits down, takes off his shoe and sock, and begins picking at his foot at 1:38:00

He begins eating the stuff he picked from his foot at 1:39:42

slimdog360
December 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
I can see why people like bill gates. I almost threw up when I saw that. He chews on it for ages.

pichalsi
December 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
lol what the...? that was disgusting...

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Not many people take a barefoot hippy seriously, especially when they eat from their feet. And this is the chairman of GNU... what a joke.

delfick
December 2nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
wtf?????

i'm confused now........

wtf...WTF!!!!!!...OMG, that is odd.......

wtf??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????

i'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight, i'm just gonna keep seeing this image of a hippy eating it's foot.....

i'm scared now....WTF!!!!!

Titi
December 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
hahaha, and the other guy keeps on asking his question. i would burst into laughing!

Dr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
I wonder what he stepped on. Broken Windows maybe?

Christmas
December 2nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
465 MB. I'll laugh in two hours.

Ubunted
December 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
The nice thing about Google Videos is you can fast forward and it will start loading from whatever point you select.

Dual Cortex
December 2nd, 2006, 06:10 PM
:shock:

http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/images/smilies/puke/vomit-smiley-006.gif

Christmas
December 2nd, 2006, 06:14 PM
The nice thing about Google Videos is you can fast forward and it will start loading from whatever point you select.
It's blank in the place where the video should be, I can only hear the voices. I'm using Konqueror 3.5.2 and Flash 7, I'll try in Firefox/Opera too.

Super King
December 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
K, I'll just take everyone's word that this is gross so I don't have to watch this :D

PrinceArithon
December 2nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
That's just purely disgusting.....you can imagine he's not getting any dates anytime soon

jincast90
December 2nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Yuck!

deanlinkous
December 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM
Yes, the only good ideas come from nice clean people with proper manners. We should dismiss anything someone with a *disgusting* habit says. Has anyone ever read/studied Thomas Edison? You think einstein looked GOOD?

I think he is doing it to gross people out... I think he is faking it. :D

Personally I value peoples ideas regardless if it is the $20 ho or Mr. Well Dressed dude. Actually, I find that people who are a bit weird and have been thru a lot in their lives and are on the *bad* side of life often have better perspective on life in general.

LLRNR
December 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Alright, that's not quite delicate... errr... anyway I still think he's a great guy ! :D

I value people for their character, ideas, goals and achievements - these are the things that last; it's something like a general rule, that "great brains" have "weird habits".

It's possible that he might be doing this just to freak off people, just as Deanlinkous suggested.

LLRNR

Kernel Sanders
December 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
OMFG! :???:

What a fool!

He should resign over this!

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
The geniuses of technology and technology-related businesses nearly always have some mental disabilities, usually Asperger's or a mild case of autism. Both Stallman and Bill Gates are strongly suspected of ``suffering'' from it. I put suffering in quotes because their great accomplishments come from this same ``disability''. Asperger's has even been labelled as the ``geek syndrome'': http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html

I am pretty sure that I'm an aspie myself, because I have nearly 100% of symptoms, both good and bad. You shouldn't laugh at the strange behaviour of aspies, just like you shouldn't laugh at blind people walking into walls.

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
The geniuses of technology and technology-related businesses nearly always have some mental disabilities, usually Asperger's or a mild case of autism. Both Stallman and Bill Gates are strongly suspected of ``suffering'' from it. I put suffering in quotes because their great accomplishments come from this same ``disability''. Asperger's has even been labelled as the ``geek syndrome'': http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html

I am pretty sure that I'm an aspie myself, because I have nearly 100% of symptoms, both good and bad. You shouldn't laugh at the strange behaviour of aspies, just like you shouldn't laugh at blind people walking into walls.
Did you ever see Linus or Bill Gates eat from their feet at a conference?

DoctorMO
December 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
It's not weather they eat they're feet but if they put their foot in their mouths.

Go personal grooming!

deanlinkous
December 2nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
OMFG!

What a fool!

He should resign over this!

Why he has been doing *nasty* stuff like this for a long time.
From nasal sex with plants to the bulgarian folk dance and so forth.

People offended by Stallmans actions are often looking for something to be offended about. Most cannot stand that he throws professionalism out the window and is a down to earth REAL guy instead of all these buisness suit blow hards.

I think some around here are not as familiar with him as they seem to imply. :)

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
Did you ever see Linus or Bill Gates eat from their feet at a conference?

I've never seen videos of Linus talking for long periods of time, so I can't say. But if you watch videos of Bill Gates, you'll notice very strange behaviour, and Microsoft employees who have personally spoken with him describe even stranger things. He would sit at an important conference, where the future of the company is being decided, and instead of listening and talking would just play with and chew the leather strap of his watch. Then he would suddenly interrupt the speech and give some very insightful comment.

angkor
December 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Why he has been doing *nasty* stuff like this for a long time.
From nasal sex with plants to the bulgarian folk dance and so forth.

People offended by Stallmans actions are often looking for something to be offended about. Most cannot stand that he throws professionalism out the window and is a down to earth REAL guy instead of all these buisness suit blow hards.

I think some around here are not as familiar with him as they seem to imply. :)

I'm not offended at all. I think it's hilarious! It doesn't have any impact on the way I feel about what he's saying / thinking though.

ps. I'm a REAL guy and I don't eat stuff of my feet neither in public nor in private. ;)

angkor
December 2nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
I've never seen videos of Linus talking for long periods of time, so I can't say. But if you watch videos of Bill Gates, you'll notice very strange behaviour, and Microsoft employees who have personally spoken with him describe even stranger things. He would sit at an important conference, where the future of the company is being decided, and instead of listening and talking would just play with and chew the leather strap of his watch. Then he would suddenly interrupt the speech and give some very insightful comment.

No disrespect. But you cannot diagnose people unless you are a professional knowing what to look for and spending at least some time examining the 'patient'. What you described is pure speculation.

deanlinkous
December 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
I'm not offended at all. I think it's hilarious! It doesn't have any impact on the way I feel about what he's saying / thinking though.

ps. I'm a REAL guy and I don't eat stuff of my feet neither in public nor in private.
I don't either but I don't care if someone else does. And if I felt like it then I would. Be yourself.

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
No disrespect. But you cannot diagnose people unless you are a professional knowing what to look for and spending at least some time examining the 'patient'. What you described is pure speculation.

It's not speculation, but an example. I didn't come up with the idea that Bill is an aspie; there are many many experts that feel the same way.

DoctorMO
December 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
and we know it.

Lay off us weird guys ok, it's not our fault you normal types are so stuffy and concerned about such ridiculous things.

deanlinkous
December 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM

Speculation is what you do on a forum....I thought.

angkor
December 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
It's not speculation, but an example. I didn't come up with the idea that Bill is an aspie; there are many many experts that feel the same way.

I'm sure there are. But unless one of these experts has actually spend some time with the guy to be able to diagnose him in stead of claiming it after seeing him on tv, it's nothing more than a good guess. There could be numerous possible explanations for his behavior.

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
I'm sure there are. But unless one of these experts has actually spend some time with the guy to be able to diagnose him in stead of claiming it after seeing him on tv, it's nothing more than a good guess. There could be numerous possible explanations for his behavior.

That is true, and I've never said that I am certain that Bill or Stallman are aspies. However, there is a very strong possibility of this given the way their brains seem to work, the way they act in public, how they describe their childhood and their own opinions (Stallman actually says that he is an aspie in his biography.)

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
If you take yourself and others seriously you do not do that stuff while you are at a conference. You will not accomplish anything with it, at least not in a positive way. It's disrespectful too.

angkor
December 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
Speculation is what you do on a forum....I thought.

Of course you can speculate. But I don't think it's fair or wise to label someone with an illness without knowing for sure, like I understand some experts are doing with Bill Gates.

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
If you take yourself and others seriously you do not do that stuff while you are at a conference. You will not accomplish anything with it, at least not in a positive way. It's disrespectful too.

This is another reason I believe the two have Asperger's syndrome. Do you honestly believe that Bill Gates and Richard Stallman haven't been told to stop acting this way at conferences? Do you think they are really trying to be disrespectful? Do you think they want people to think they are weird? Especially Bill Gates, whose behaviour at a conference can completely destroy Microsoft --- do you think he hasn't been lectured over and over by public speaking professionals on how to behave?

Of course you can speculate. But I don't think it's fair or wise to label someone with an illness without knowing for sure, like I understand some experts are doing with Bill Gates.

And it is fair to laugh at the social problems these people are having just because at their disability was almost never diagnosed at the time they were children?

deanlinkous
December 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Thats right. We should all ACT professional. What does he NOT accomplish then?

As I said, people looking to be offended will ALWAYS find something to be offended by.

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
This is another reason I believe the two have Asperger's syndrome. Do you honestly believe that Bill Gates and Richard Stallman haven't been told to stop acting this way at conferences? Do you think they are really trying to be disrespectful? Do you think they want people to think they are weird? Especially Bill Gates, whose behaviour at a conference can completely destroy Microsoft --- do you think he hasn't been lectured over and over by public speaking professionals on how to behave?

Then they should find someone who can replace him... like they replaced Bill Gates.

angkor
December 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM

You could be right of course, we cannot be sure. I'm reading up on Asperger, it's very interesting.

On a humorous side note: What about the behaviour of microsoft's current ceo at conferences? What syndrome would he have...Then again that's probably just drug induced. ;)

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Thats right. We should all ACT professional. What does he NOT accomplish then?

As I said, people looking to be offended will ALWAYS find something to be offended by.

That's not how stuff works in the real world. And I'm not looking to be offended. Why would I?

Edit: He does not acomplish people taking him seriously.

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
Then they should find someone who can replace him... like they replaced Bill Gates.

Bill Gates resigned, he was not replaced. His different way of thinking managed to make a monopoly out of a company that never even had a superior product. And Richard Stallman started a movement which is responsible for the operating system you are currently using.

Aspies aren't worse than ``normal'' people. In certain fields they are actually much better, which is exactly why Bill and RMS have had such success. All innovation starts from an unusual thought, and if you replace all the unusual thinkers, you will end up with no innovation.

That's not how stuff works in the real world.

So the great success of Bill Gates and RMS are just fiction? Did it happen in another world?

But he has accomplished founding and making popular the GNU project, which is being taken very seriously these days.

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Bill Gates resigned, he was not replaced. His different way of thinking managed to make a monopoly out of a company that never even had a superior product. And Richard Stallman started a movement which is responsible for the operating system you are currently using.

Aspies aren't worse than ``normal'' people. In certain fields they are actually much better, which is exactly why Bill and RMS have had such success. All innovation starts from an unusual thought, and if you replace all the unusual thinkers, you will end up with no innovation.

Ever heard of working behind the screen? Let him do the thinking and someone else do the talking.

greggh
December 2nd, 2006, 10:18 PM

You mean with somebody like this?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6987983111018701231

deanlinkous
December 2nd, 2006, 10:19 PM
That's not how stuff works in the real world. And I'm not looking to be offended. Why would I?

Aww lawdy, the REAL world. That is funny. People said the same thing when I refused to get up in front of class and do my presentation and took a D on what would of been an A. They were all mortally shocked and amazed and offended. I basically told them that I do not choose to make myself unhappy or uncomfortable in this world and nothing will ever change that. Same as my sweatpants and t-shirt compared to their business casual dress for a class.

I take him seriously. You can take him seriously if you wish.

Heck, look at they way he chews on that - THAT is dang serious if you ask me. He put some effort into that!

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
You mean with somebody like this?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6987983111018701231

haha yeah... I never said they made a good choice with Balmer as a replacement.

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Ever heard of working behind the screen? Let him do the thinking and someone else do the talking.

But people don't want to hear some special designated ``talker''. They want to hear the one who's doing the thinking and giving the commands, no matter how strange he may be. Look at the previous pope (RIP): at the end of his days, he could barely say two words, but people wanted to see him, not some bishop who could have given a much better speech.

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
But people don't want to hear some special designated ``talker''. They want to hear the one who's doing the thinking and giving the commands, no matter how strange he may be. Look at the previous pope (RIP): at the end of his days, he could barely say two words, but people wanted to see him, not some bishop who could have given a much better speech.

Well, I do not think Stallman is all that popular, except for the GNU people of course.
If you want Linux to take off, it should be marketed well.

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Well, I do not think Stallman is all that popular, except for the GNU people of course.

This is exactly Stallman's current role: a motivational speaker for the GNU people. He does a good job at it, inspiring many.

I you want Linux to take off it should be marketed well.

Why don't we leave that to the CEOs of RedHat, Canonical and SUSE?

macogw
December 2nd, 2006, 10:33 PM

I'm not even blind and I walk into walls. Okay, so I'm legally blind, but I walk into walls while wearing glasses.

Uh, anywho, I'm pretty sure eating foot-crusties isn't a symptom of aspergers.

Stallman's just rather weird though. A friend witnessed him running around, high on acid, naked.

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 10:33 PM
This is exactly Stallman's current role: a motivational speaker for the GNU people. He does a good job at it, inspiring many.

Why don't we leave that to the CEOs of RedHat, Canonical and SUSE?

Sure. That doesn't mean I cannot have my own opinion about it.

Malikith
December 2nd, 2006, 10:34 PM
Oh dear god, if I was asking him questions and he started picking crap off his foot and eating it, i'd stop my questions and just ask him what the hell he is doing, thats just nasty hehe.

PatrickMay16
December 2nd, 2006, 10:34 PM

I was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome and at least I understand that picking crap off of your feet and eating it is incredibly disgusting and something you just don't do around people. Maybe Stallman is worse than me or something, I dunno.

greggh
December 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
As Ubuntu users we should not forget what Mark Shuttleworth recently had to say about Stallman on his blog...

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/67

Richard Stallman is the man I admire most in the free software world. Nobody else has so clearly articulated, so beautifully argued for the freedom to change your own software and the freedom to share it. I’m absolutely convinced it is free source, not “open” source, which is at the heart of the innovation that will carry free software to ubiquity. Developers are inspired and motivated to climb in and make Gnome or KDE better *because* they have the right to do so, and they know their work will form part of something big and beautiful.

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
Uh, anywho, I'm pretty sure eating foot-crusties isn't a symptom of aspergers.

Actually, any expert on the subject will tell you that it is. This is especially true if the person doing it does not understand that it's wrong or abnormal, which Stallman clearly doesn't.

I was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome and at least I understand that picking crap off of your feet and eating it is incredibly disgusting and something you just don't do around people. Maybe Stallman is worse than me or something, I dunno.

I also would never do such a thing, because I maintain very strong control over myself and logically think through every little movement I do. Normality for me is not intuitive but a learned behaviour, in which every step has to be deduced logically. However, there are various degrees of the syndrome and some have less control over themselves than others.

OffHand
December 2nd, 2006, 10:40 PM
As Ubuntu users we should not forget what Mark Shuttleworth recently had to say about Stallman on his blog...

Although I really appreciate Shuttleworth I do not follow his opinion blindly.

sophtpaw
December 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
how about diet pepsi for de man?

JurB
December 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
The guy is a bit different... so what?

RAV TUX
December 2nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Although I really appreciate Shuttleworth I do not follow his opinion blindly.

Thanks for the link and interesting read.

#12: Consistent Packaging (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/66) #10: Pervasive presence (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/68) »
#11: Simplified, rationalised licensing (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/67)

This is one post in a series, describing challenges we need to overcome (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/62) to make free software ubiquitous on the desktop.
Richard Stallman is the man I admire most in the free software world. Nobody else has so clearly articulated, so beautifully argued for the freedom to change your own software and the freedom to share it. I’m absolutely convinced it is free source, not “open” source, which is at the heart of the innovation that will carry free software to ubiquity. Developers are inspired and motivated to climb in and make Gnome or KDE better *because* they have the right to do so, and they know their work will form part of something big and beautiful.
But my voice is only one of many, and I recognise in this world that there are lots of reasonable, rational positions which are different but still, for some people, appropriate. Thus I think it’s normal that we have the BSD-style licences as well as the GPL family of licences, and it’s also normal that there be a few licences in the mix from companies like Microsoft - witness their “Shared Source” initiative.
The result of those reasonable-but-slightly-different positions has been a plethora of licences, most of which fall into a few broad categories, and a few of which are… thpethial. The diversity of them adds nothing to our cause. If anything it makes it harder to build cohesion in our world, and harder to reap the benefits of both collaboration and competition. There are two major desktop environments in Linux partly *because* of these differences.
So what can be done? Well, I turn for inspiration to the work of the Creative Commons. They’ve seen this problem coming a long way off, and realised that it is better to create a clear “licence space” which covers the various permutations and combinations that will come to exist anyway. Hence we have the various options of the CC licences, which allow organisations to specify their INTENT using a few, high level ideas. And as far as I can see we have neatly sidestepped the potential fragmentation or balkanisation of the open content licence space.
By being willing to represent the whole movement, and not just one square on the board, the Creative Commons has saved us from a very messy death by a thousand paper cuts. It is reasonable for me to dream of whole swathes of compatibly licenced educational content, from hundreds of different owners, being combined to create new works of breathtaking scale.
Here’s the hard edge. The OSI needs to decide if it wants to continue to be a driver of fragmentation, or if it wants to lead towards unification and integration. The FSF, much as I am happy to wave their flag, will always remain aligned with a single-minded set of values, and that’s the right place for them to be. They are not an appropriate forum for talk of the whole movement. OSI, on the other hand, while they have much to earn back in the way of credibility with the free software camp, might just be able to pull this off.

Zenmind
December 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
He should have at least dipped his 'foot skin' in some honey mustard sauce with his pinky raised!

Personally, that was strange! If he does have a problem than those close to him should do something about it and not just let him go off into the world on his own.

a new item on the sushi list: foot skin in wasabi

Christmas
December 2nd, 2006, 11:44 PM
I don't know what to say, if he did it intentionally or just because he was used to that. I think we all have some curiosities, but at a conference...

PrinceArithon
December 3rd, 2006, 12:18 AM
I think that everyone is getting a bit off topic here. The idea of this post is the man picked something off of his foot and then he started eating it.

It's funny, it's nasty, and we are all having a great time laughing about it...at least I hope. Hell I know if I got caught doing something like that, I'd expect people to laugh at me LOL

So enough with the heated convos!! Lets laugh at the insanity, because to be honest, all of us who use computers and delve into them for hours no matter if we are using Windows, Linux, Mac, or whatever are messed up.

Malikith
December 3rd, 2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah hes probably a decent guy, but he does need to be a bit more professional in those types of conferences and keep his wierdness to himself hehe. Thats all. Wouldn't stop me from questioning him if he was doing it though, I would ask him nicely to stop and say its rude. I don't care what the guy does privately, thats his business but in public, you have to represent.

GameManK
December 3rd, 2006, 01:18 AM
I also would never do such a thing, because I maintain very strong control over myself and logically think through every little movement I do. Normality for me is not intuitive but a learned behaviour, in which every step has to be deduced logically. However, there are various degrees of the syndrome and some have less control over themselves than others.

So, sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but so if a person can think for himself rather than automatically molding into "normality", that means he has a "disorder" called aspergers? The latter sounds like more of a disorder to me.
I read the article that was linked and it was fascinating, but I still feel like it's just a label applied to certain personalities that a) give "normal" people an excuse to look at those groups of people as abnormal and b) gives pharmaceuticals something to research and make money on.

DoctorMO
December 3rd, 2006, 01:19 AM
professionalism is taking personal behavour into the business world. it's a slippery sloap too.

I am me and I'll be damned if I'm going to be something else in order to _ACT_ professional just so some people can feel some weird sense of social normality in a business setting.

IYY
December 3rd, 2006, 01:32 AM
So, sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but so if a person can think for himself rather than automatically molding into "normality", that means he has a "disorder" called aspergers? The latter sounds like more of a disorder to me.
I read the article that was linked and it was fascinating, but I still feel like it's just a label applied to certain personalities that a) give "normal" people an excuse to look at those groups of people as abnormal and b) gives pharmaceuticals something to research and make money on.

Having Asperger's syndrome does not just mean being abnormal. There are many sorts of abnormalities, some of which are just `thinking outside the box', some are learning disabilities like ADHD, some are mental retardation, some are Autism, and some are Asperger's (which is also a form of Autism).

Being an aspie means more than just being abnormal, but is an entirely different way of seeing the world. There are some youtube videos of people trying to explain what it feels like, but I don't know how effectively they manage to communicate it.

However, many aspies (myself included) believe that calling this a disorder or a disability is incorrect, and trying to cure it (and some people actually are trying to cure it) is wrong. I strongly disapprove of any pharmaceutical solution to this condition, unless it becomes a true burden on an individual (currently, antidepressants are often prescribed.)

PrinceArithon
December 3rd, 2006, 01:34 AM
Yeah, this is no disorder, this is just someone being plain nasty!! LOL

Somenoob
December 3rd, 2006, 01:56 AM
Stallman may have some extraordinary habits but i guess all genius programmers have

PrinceArithon
December 3rd, 2006, 02:01 AM
As I said anyone who is heavily into computers does weird stuff, there is no doubt

ciscosurfer
December 3rd, 2006, 02:06 AM
I personally prefer my toe junk with a little wing sauce.

But hey, to each his own, I always say.

deanlinkous
December 3rd, 2006, 02:30 AM
I thought it looked more like he was chewing a good toenail. Or maybe just some dead skin he peeled off?

ciscosurfer
December 3rd, 2006, 02:49 AM
I thought it looked more like he was chewing a good toenail. Or maybe just some dead skin he peeled off?Either way, he recycled it, the way a GNUed hippie should.

Rhapsody
December 3rd, 2006, 03:09 AM
I actually have Asperger's Syndrome myself (diagnosed by a psychiatrist many years ago) and I've decided to list some of my weird behaviour here, perhaps to add some perspective.

I find it very hard to sit and think about things. If I think about something, I tend to pace around, talk to myself, and play with my hands.

My keyboard holder, computer chair, old mouse, old PS2, and various other objects have been destroyed by my 'meddling hands'. My current mouse was chosen partially because it's a 'block' design that just won't come apart, and I've made myself promise never to try and open my new PS2 without full knowledge of what I plan to do and how to put it back together.

I wash my hands up to (and sometime beyond) 10 times a day, with cold water and soap. Each trip can have three or four repetitions. I also have sensitive skin. My knuckles are currently about as dry as the Gobi Desert.

I rarely leave my own room. I close the curtains because I spend most of my time on my computer and I hate the glare. I should get a glare filter.

I hate silence. After a few minutes, I have to turn on the TV or some music (and people wonder why Amarok is always open on this PC). It's actually easier for me to concentrate with some background noise than total silence.

I never stop typing like this. Even in IRC, my spelling and grammar fall only marginally. It's harder and slower for me to type with poor spelling and grammar than like this, since I've conditioned myself so well.

Although I type slowly (touch-typing just didn't come to me), I write even more slowly (joined-up writing also just didn't come to me) and with particularly illegible handwriting. I'm a very fast reader though.

My sleeping patterns tend to rotate, with me being awake in the day at the start of a week, and awake at night at the end. I have my KDE Clock applet configured to show what day of the week it is at all times since I tend to lose track very easily.

I proof-read every message I make here, and tend to make at least five draft revisions before the final.

I remove my own nails when they're too long by chewing and pulling at them, on both my hands and feet (I rarely wear shoes, so my feet don't usually stink). I used to eat the nails, but then I got worried about my teeth, and I throw the nails away now. I haven't had my nails cut this century.

PrinceArithon
December 3rd, 2006, 03:26 AM
Dude I don't really think you are too different from most people who don't have this syndrome. I always have Amarok going, just because I can't stand to be without music.

As for playing with things and talking to yourself. Plenty of people do it. I often play with things just because doing something like that can actually help you focus to think. It's like that for a lot of people.

Now as for the hand washing, the sleeping rotation, and proof reading..yes that is a little farther from what mostly everyone else does.

OH and as for the nail biting, a lot of people bite their nails.

I honestly don't think you have a really drastic case of the syndrome except for the sleeping thing...I feel bad for you on that...my GF has a sleeping disorder and I feel horrible for her on those nights she can't sleep.

As for our foot picking buddy, I think he just does something disgusting, I doubt he really has any problem other than being nasty lol.

BarfBag
December 3rd, 2006, 03:26 AM
!!!!!!!!!

Developers Developers Developers Developers

Tomosaur
December 3rd, 2006, 03:56 AM
I think a lot of people 'with Asperger's Syndrome' are misdiagnosed. I was very nearly diagnosed with it (or just Autism, I don't remember) as a child, it was just never 'official', if you could say such a thing. My family has a bit of a history with mental disorders and stuff of that nature, and in fact my cousin (younger) has been diagnosed with Asperger's. It's very obvious that he has it when you talk to him, but it's frustrating to me when people who don't understand the condition come into contact with him, because they can be insensitive and whatnot. He reminds me a lot of what I was like as a child, so I don't know whether or not I have the condition myself and just learnt how to cope with life in a 'normal' manner, especially since he's receiving special education, and it seems like this is giving him lots of encouragement and improvement. I do find myself exhibiting symptoms of Asperger's/Autism, but like I said, this could well just be me being weird. I have bigger fish to fry right now anyway, so I'm not too concerned.

Anyway, despite Stallman's foot-eating, he has still done a lot for linux and free software in general, and we probably wouldn't have Ubuntu without him. It looked a bit odd, but there are weirder people out there!

PrinceArithon
December 3rd, 2006, 04:00 AM
Good call on that one. Plenty of people do weirder things than him...thank goodness I don't see it on video though lol.

3rdalbum
December 3rd, 2006, 04:02 AM
EDIT: I didn't see Tomosaur's message - he posted while I was still writing mine.

I've believed for a long while that many people are diagnosed with things they don't have.

I've seen a list of symptoms of autism, and someone I know who's been diagnosed with autism does not have a single one of those symptoms. In fact, with one of them ("lack of imagination"), he's got the exact opposite. It seems like doctors think "Well, you've got slightly strange behaviour, it must be autism. Here's a prescription for drugs."

In some parts of the world, including my part, the official rate of autism in children is very low compared to the UK, and the official rate of ADHD is very high in comparison. Obviously, doctors in at least one of these countries are misdiagnosing!

I have always had things that I do out of habit that others would consider strange. For instance, I absent-mindedly knot up the hair on my legs and then yank it out. Other than that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with me. Admittedly, I found Richard Stallman's little smorgasboard to be much more disgusting and inappropriate.

deanlinkous
December 3rd, 2006, 04:55 AM
knot up the hair on my legs and then yank it out

OOOOOOWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Tipo
December 3rd, 2006, 04:59 AM
heh... some people just do weird things. Some people are brilliant...

Stallman shows both those traits ;)

PrinceArithon
December 3rd, 2006, 06:29 AM
LOL you got a point on that...the thing is I never really wanted to see him be weird, and I don't know why I even decided to watch it...

Macintosh Sauce
December 3rd, 2006, 07:35 AM
That is absolutely and incredibly disgusting. Yuck! No wonder I cannot stand RMS...

unlokia
December 3rd, 2006, 07:38 AM
@deanlinkous He is indeed a great person!.

I think all you critics and nitpickers should take a lie down, and a little bit of self criticism and honesty wouldn't go amiss.

We are all human beings, and for goodness SAKE, you are talking on UBUNTU FORUMS... "Ubuntu" = "Humanity to others"... think about that a little!!.

He has done more for all the cynics and hypocrites on here, than is likely that ANY of you could ever comprehend doing. So what if he is deep in thought and yeah, maybe it wasn't THE most
normal thing to do, but if you were listening to the guy and you agree with his excellent ethics, then you'd let a HUMAN BEING off, for not being as 'perfect' as all of you.

Well done Stallman - go man go!!!. The guy is a true saint and he inspires me so so much. I'm sure we ALL have worse habits.... SO WHAT?!?!

That is absolutely and incredibly disgusting. Yuck! No wonder I cannot stand RMS...

How nice of you.... one day, we can all aspire to the perfection that is evident within you, oh master!

grte
December 3rd, 2006, 08:15 AM
You could be right of course, we cannot be sure. I'm reading up on Asperger, it's very interesting.

On a humorous side note: What about the behaviour of microsoft's current ceo at conferences? What syndrome would he have...Then again that's probably just drug induced. ;)

<Homer>I'm a rageaholic! I'm addicted to rageahol!</Homer>

greggh
December 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
As to whether or not RMS has Asperger's Syndrome, here is Stallman's own take on it from an interview with Richard Poynder, published in March of this year. It's a PDF doc.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/parade/df04/Richard_Stallman_Interview.pdf

Richard Poynder: Sam Williams also talks about the difficulties you had connecting with people as a child. He speculates as to whether you had Asperger's Syndrome, and says that you got very frustrated that others did not seem to think clearly enough. Is that correct?

Richard Stallman: Well, it was clear that I had trouble getting along with people; but there were many reasons and I can't say I know what they all were. It is quite clear I don't have Asperger's Syndrome, but I have sometimes speculated that I have a slight, "shadow", version of it. (Some say that many people within the "normal" range have mild, "shadow" versions of various serious conditions).

user1397
December 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Stallman really is a strange guy. I was watching a video of a speech he gave at a University in Calgary, and about 3/4 into the speech he sits down, takes off the shoe and sock of his left foot, starts picking at his foot, and starts eating whatever he was picking... all while continuing to take questions from the audience.

He sits down, takes of his shoe and sock, and begins picking at his foot at 1:38:00

He begins eating the stuff he picked from his foot at 1:39:42wtf........

fuscia
December 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM

he suffers from assburger's syndrome. though they rhyme, the two are unrelated.

yabbadabbadont
December 3rd, 2006, 09:14 AM

:D Good one.

newbie2
December 3rd, 2006, 09:31 AM
maybe before this meeting in Calgary's university he stepped on a field with violets :p -->

In Brussels I had a chance for the first time to try Marcolini's chocolates. They were both creative and delicious. Imagine a chocolate whose center is a liquid with the flavor of violets--or Earl Grey tea. I liked them so much that I decided to return the next morning, taking a bus and rushing back before flying out, to get more that I could share with the people I would see in subsequent visits.
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/entry-20050802.html

DC@DR
December 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
This is ridiculous :-s

darkninja
December 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Well at least it's not like RMS had an awful lot of respect to lose :-)

jbtito03
December 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Oi...

BLAH... digusting to me...

but...

... it has nothing to do with RMSes knowlege or my respect to him.

The only thing i would not do with him is live with him as maybe he would not prefer to live with. Diversiti is good. :D

If he likes to eat whatever its his choice.;)

Cheers

JB

Wight_Rhino
December 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
Oi...

BLAH... digusting to me...

but...

... it has nothing to do with RMSes knowlege or my respect to him.

The only thing i would not do with him is live with him as maybe he would not prefer to live with. Diversiti is good. :D

If he likes to eat whatever its his choice.;)

Cheers

JB

Yeah, that's fine I'm sure some of us do have Bad Habits, But, and here's where some folk are missing the point; a fully functioning Person doesn't do things like that In Public!](*,)

greggh
December 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that's fine I'm sure some of us do have Bad Habits, But, and here's where some folk are missing the point; a fully functioning Person doesn't do things like that In Public!](*,)

Really? And as a fully functioning person yourself, have you accomplished something that has affected as many people in a positive way as RMS has?

argie
December 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
My cat used to do that too. The licking self part, not the answering the audience part.

kinematic
December 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
i don't see what the big deal is.....my wife and i groom each other like that all the time.
we eat from each others feet and pick each others noses and ears :D

JAPrufrock
December 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Could be indicative of an ego problem. Doesn't help Linux, to put it mildly.

BWF89
December 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
I didn't watch the video because I'm going out to eat in a couple hours but WTF? This guy is one of the most powerful people in the Linux world? Truly a scary thought.

xpod
December 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
i don't see what the big deal is.....my wife and i groom each other like that all the time.
we eat from each others feet and pick each others noses and ears

WHAT.....In front of a hall full of people???

Aint there a word for that behaviour;)

fuscia
December 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~primates/aunti_rose.jpg

EdThaSlayer
December 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Picking your nose I can bear watching, but picking your feet in public in front of everyone and then eating whatever you pick...yuck!

greggh
December 3rd, 2006, 05:50 PM
Picking your nose I can bear watching, but picking your feet in public in front of everyone and then eating whatever you pick...yuck!

Hmm, I don't know, it's a tough call. I think I prefer to watch eating foot skin to nose cooties. But it really depends on my mood at the time.

deanlinkous
December 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
we eat from each others feet and pick each others noses and ears :D

I am sure you and your wife do more *nasty* stuff than that. Just depends on what someone calls nasty. :)

The question is, do you have a audience when you'll act nasty? :D

deanlinkous
December 3rd, 2006, 06:03 PM

Looked like toeburgers to me...

deanlinkous
December 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM

Stop fooling yourself, it will make your life a lot more happy. NOBODY is fully functioning, hiding it and suppressing it just make you uncomfortable so go ahead and be yourself.

deanlinkous
December 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Best Thread Ever!!!!!

greggh
December 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Best Thread Ever!!!!!

What would make it even better is if RMS himself would pop on over and post. I wonder what he would write...

deanlinkous
December 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Probably something like this....

STALLMAN DOES DALLAS
http://www.stallman.org/articles/texas.html

This is a good article
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/lf/view/73273/
and talks about Stallmans weird behavior.

greggh
December 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM

STALLMAN DOES DALLAS

This is a good article
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/lf/view/73273/
and talks about Stallmans weird behavior.

Haha. That's good stuff. It's the weird people that make the world go round.

Klaidas
December 3rd, 2006, 07:39 PM
*Bookmarks and gets ready to paste in anti-MS, anti-Bill and anti-Steve threads.*

JurB
December 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM

STALLMAN DOES DALLAS
http://www.stallman.org/articles/texas.html.
:lol:
I said in that RMS vs. Linus thread i favoured Linus as a person, but i think i'll have to look back into the matter now.

ciscosurfer
December 4th, 2006, 01:27 AM
We are all human beings, and for goodness SAKE, you are talking on UBUNTU FORUMS... "Ubuntu" = "Humanity to others"... think about that a little!!
[...]
How nice of you.... one day, we can all aspire to the perfection that is evident within you, oh master!And to think, I thought you were trying to spread the humanity to others. Oh well. :(

Albi
December 4th, 2006, 03:53 AM
I thought about this, and the unexpected size of the check. "I think that you have some other reason, that you aren't telling me, why you don't want to do business with me. Were my lectures unsatisfactory?"

"No, your lectures were good. It was the people who had dinner with you. Both evenings they were very uncomfortable with you. They said they didn't want to have you around any more."

"Uncomfortable? But they didn't say so. Did they say why?"

read from that point on... i don't think i should post it on the forums though @_@

i lol'd

ciscosurfer
December 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM
read from that point on... i don't think i should post it on the forums though @_@

i lol'dDo you have link to the what we're supposed to read? Which site/post are you referring to?

jpkotta
December 4th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Do you have link to the what we're supposed to read? Which site/post are you referring to?

[LOL]

hk_2999
December 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
No wonder a foot is the official logo of GNOME.

earobinson
December 4th, 2006, 06:18 PM
thats stalman for you

dca
December 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM
...bon appetit'...

fuscia
December 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM
No wonder a foot is the official logo of GNOME.

and that's why there's one toe missing.

omns
December 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM

greggh
December 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I was looking for some more videos of Stallman and came across these two...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6502696231837859029 French

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1211899929322064533 Spanish

The guy is fluent in French and Spanish.

H.E. Pennypacker
May 12th, 2007, 05:38 AM
There's nothing wrong with eating something off your foot as long as you do it in private.

samjh
May 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Lovely. :popcorn:

Chilli Bob
May 13th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Dirty Hippie!

use a name
May 13th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Ignorance is bliss...

lisati
August 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM
It's not weather they eat they're feet but if they put their foot in their mouths.

Go personal grooming!

Dentapedology?

Aspies rule, OK?

forrestcupp
August 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
I'm glad you guys brought this thread back. That was well worth watching.

I about puked in my mouth.

jrusso2
August 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM

He sits down, takes off his shoe and sock, and begins picking at his foot at 1:38:00

Oh, like you have never done that. :)

MianoSM
June 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
One of my most favorite videos on YouTube. To this day. = )

Maheriano
June 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Stallman gave a speech here? How did I miss that? I was living here in 2006.

forrestcupp
June 11th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I'm glad to see that this video is not forgotten. May we never forget.

Someone needs to buy him a Ped Egg (http://www.pedegg.com/). Maybe he could sprinkle the shavings on a salad or something.

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
single + hermit

forrestcupp
June 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
single + hermit

+ until the day he dies

days_of_ruin
June 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Haven't watched the video but that is just nasty @_@

swoll1980
June 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Ahh, a classic. I forgot about this one. Who says thread necromancy is bad?

sydbat
June 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Stallman gave a speech here? How did I miss that? I was living here in 2006.Me too! Actually all 43 years I've been alive!

In a way, I am REALLY glad I missed THAT event...

Viva
June 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Dear God

mxboy15u
June 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Ok I have never heard of this before and I had to wikipedia his name but that video is disgusting to the max. What the hell?!

gn2
June 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Surprised it was Calgary, Poughkeepsie would have been a more obvious choice.

starcannon
June 11th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Oh man, he's snacking on his foot; nom, nom, nom, nom...

speedwell68
June 11th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Whilst Richard Stallman is obviously very intelligent, he is also a complete loony. But most true geniuses are.

izizzle
June 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
It's actually a new flavor of a very long-lasting bubble gum. You chew, and chew, and chew.........

Phreaker
June 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
OMG, this is equal to 2girls1cup (OMFG)
Someone should make a reaction video

zmjjmz
June 11th, 2009, 10:57 PM
This is definitely some sort of shock video.

hatten
June 11th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Lol, seriosly, my mom does do this! And no, i am not lying, when watching TV she rips off "hard skin", small pieces at a time, and sit and chew on them. I can fortunately say that i don't watch TV very often and that i know of nobody else doing it. (Except for RMS). I might even show her this video to see her reaction =D

Pogeymanz
June 11th, 2009, 11:35 PM

I know what you mean, but I have to disagree. The whole point of a disorder diagnosis is that the patient is suffering. Usually that means that the "abnormal" person is having trouble functioning in "normal" society and wants that to change. You'll notice that Bill Gates and RMS have not been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome- that's because they haven't sought help- they are doing just fine.

I have a very close friend who has Asperger's Syndrome and he was diagnosed when he was having problems dealing with High School.

dragos240
June 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I know what you mean, but I have to disagree. The whole point of a disorder diagnosis is that the patient is suffering. Usually that means that the "abnormal" person is having trouble functioning in "normal" society and wants that to change. You'll notice that Bill Gates and RMS have not been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome- that's because they haven't sought help- they are doing just fine.

I have a very close friend who has Asperger's Syndrome and he was diagnosed when he was having problems dealing with High School.

I have asperger's...... and I don't do that, also ADHD and bipolar :D

pwnst*r
June 12th, 2009, 12:02 AM
OMG, this is equal to 2girls1cup (OMFG)

not even close.

Chemical Imbalance
June 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I would love to see Ballmer's reaction to this video
(you know, like the reaction vids on youtube to 2girls1cup).

He would probably put it in a new "I'm a PC, I'm Linux" commercial and forever doom linux :D.

dmizer
June 12th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I really don't think that this needed to be brought back from the dead.

Thanks for participating.