PDA

View Full Version : Anybody played Fizzball yet? Nice game.

futz
December 2nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
http://grubbygames.com/

Fizzball is a breakout variant. Nicely done. Inexpensive.

So cute it'll make ya puke, but fun to play.

loell
December 2nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
well, its not free , but is the trial cool enough?

futz
December 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM
well, its not free , but is the trial cool enough?
It's short, but fun.

loell
December 2nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
indeed it is fun, i wouldn't say it is short, i made a video clip Fizzball demo (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5004950449003406369&hl=en)

the demo is a bit long, and i can't capture its sound effects, so i just played an mp3 classical music in the background :mrgreen:

Super King
December 2nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Sweet, I love Breakout and this game looks bizarre but fun. Downloading the trial now.

futz
December 2nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
indeed it is fun, i wouldn't say it is short, i made a video clip Fizzball demo (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5004950449003406369&hl=en)

the demo is a bit long, and i can't capture its sound effects, so i just played an mp3 classical music in the background :mrgreen:
Hey! You're not using your fans. Hit the right mouse button for fans that blow the fizzball around. Helps in getting combos. The fans deplete quickly, but recharge while not used.

I bought the game last night. I've always loved breakout type games. It's the price of a case of beer or 1-1/2 pizzas. Cheap for that much entertainment! :mrgreen:

loell
December 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
lol, i never thought right click had some use, trying it now :-D

futz
December 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
This game is good enough for a Sunday morning bump. BUMP! :D

~LoKe
December 3rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Haha, not bad!

msak007
January 2nd, 2007, 02:09 AM
I just "stumbled" on to the game using StumbleUpon. I got to a site that had a list of the top 10 independent games of 2006, and I immediately searched for Linux in the list and this was 1 of 2 in the list. I downloaded the demo and it's very fun, and I'm about to buy it. Definitely the most original and fun implementation of Breakout I've ever played. It reminds alot of PopCap type games, and is recommended for the casual gamer. We really need more games like this in Linux to attract the casual gamers who buy the PopCap games.

Lord Illidan
January 2nd, 2007, 02:24 AM
Quite fun.

msak007
January 2nd, 2007, 03:11 AM
I just tried GrubbyGames' other game (Professor Fizzwizzle) and I must say it's even more fun than FizzBall, albeit a different type of fun. It's an incredibly fun puzzle game if you like thinking type games. I'm buying both of them. Two thumbs way up for GrubbyGames :D.

Frak
January 2nd, 2007, 03:25 AM
Great game!

banjobacon
January 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM
Linux users buying software?! :shock:

(Just kidding.)

msak007
January 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Linux users buying software?! :shock:

(Just kidding.)Sarcasm aside, that's one way to show software companies that commercial software can succeed in Linux. Yes we can get almost anything for free (I prefer it that way), and most of it rivals commercial software, but we need to dispel a myth that we won't buy anything at all. So far, I've only found the need to buy games for Linux. Open source games are fun and all, but I've only played a few that rival commercial games.

P.S. When I first read your name real quick, I thought it said banjonobacon lol. I thought you had something against Jono :).

banjobacon
January 2nd, 2007, 04:35 AM
Sarcasm aside, that's one way to show software companies that commercial software can succeed in Linux.

I agree. I'm just kind of surprised nobody dismissed this game entirely for not being open source, which seems to be the case quite often.

But I don't want to drag this thread off topic.

I just played Fizzball, and it is really fun. I remember playing Prof. Fizzwizzle before and enjoying it. The trial is probably enough for me, though.

msak007
January 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Well for anyone that is considering buying the game, I contacted Grubby Games and inquired about their licensing for multiple OSes. I was advised that if you do run multiple OSes, you can buy the game for your desired platform, then email them for links to the downloads for the other OSes you run. So if I buy it for Linux and I dual-boot Windows, I can email them and they'll send me the link to the Windows version for free as well.

K.Mandla
January 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Wow! What a great little game! Thanks for pointing that one out! :D

Frak
January 7th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Way ahead of you, have it on all my computers, but I bought multiple licenses, didn't think of asking... I don't care, its an awsome game!

K.Mandla
January 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Just a note: I put Fizzball on a 300MHz Pentium II with a 2Mb NeoMagic video card, and it ran fine (although I couldn't get all the weather effects :roll: ).