PDA

View Full Version : Making Emoticons

_simon_
December 2nd, 2006, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know if there is any emoticon making software for linux?

Or an online one?

KuriKai
December 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM
I speak only for myself and maybe some others aswell when I say "Emoticons are horrid and should never have been invented"

MedivhX
December 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
I speak only for myself and maybe some others aswell when I say "Emoticons are horrid and should never have been invented"
And Why? I don't agree...

steven8
December 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM

Don't beat around the bush, KuriKai. Tell us what you REALLY think! :-)

In response to Simon, though, I'm sorry, I do not know if any such software. Sorry.

delfick
December 2nd, 2006, 12:23 PM

i would dissagree...(especially since most of all my posts are filled up with :D:D:D:D: :p:p) type smileys :D

to simon, i don't know either, sry :D

_simon_
December 2nd, 2006, 12:25 PM
lol to be honest I'm not that keen on them but my other half loves them, I was enquiring on her behalf ;)

steven8
December 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM
The term Emoticons makes me think of one of those kids shows based on a toy. Emoticons! They transform before you very eyes!!

xopher
December 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
Does anyone know if there is any emoticon making software for linux?

The get back on track -- Inkscape ;) It's a very good app to create icons with. It's easy too, just takes some time getting used to, and getting to know all features. But when you know how to use it, it's a really powerful tool.

jingo811
December 2nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
testing 123

_simon_
December 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
The get back on track -- Inkscape ;) It's a very good app to create icons with. It's easy too, just takes some time getting used to, and getting to know all features. But when you know how to use it, it's a really powerful tool.

I was hoping for something specifically designed to make emoticons. I know there are a few that run under windows that basically give you a database of "parts" and you just stick them together.

I've tried running them under wine but had no luck.

IYY
December 2nd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Even on Windows I always designed my emoticons using the simplest programs, like Gimp and MS Paint (the only reason gimp is needed is to save as PNG with transparent background, or select the exact number of colours that go into a GIF). If you use special software, your emoticons will never look as good.

DoctorMO
December 2nd, 2006, 09:33 PM
I've always used gimp and/or inkscape to make emoticons. reason being is that with those windows suites your talking about; someone else has copyright on those drawings and it greatly limits what you can legally do with the finished results.

You should instead concentrate on improving your artistic abilities with drawing tools.