PDA

View Full Version : To all you non native English speakers.

jincast90
December 2nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
I was wondering if you use English or your own native version of Ubuntu, or do you do something else?
I myself run the English version of Ubuntu.
Why?
Well for the first I just think an operation system is suppose to be in English. Also because guides are much easier when you don't have to translate what it says into your native language.

PrinceArithon
December 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Spanish and English are both native to me as I have known both since I was a child. For me it's easier to just have it in English because everything is usually defaulted to English anyway, plus if I'm talking about computers with someone in Serbia, we will be using English and trying to work through any computer problems in English.

So mine is set up in English

ZuLuuuuuu
December 2nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
I use English because of the reason you mention: Support. For example, if I get a warning, I can copy and paste it into Google so that I can find the solution. But if I translate it into English with my own words then it may not match exactly.

Also it is good to improve my English :)

patagonik
December 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
I don't know why, but for me computers and all that stuff speaks English, so every electronic device speaks English to me. Like this i can keep learning the language of the empire ;) Next default language: Chinese??? Let's learn!!!

English though

cos4
December 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
I use ubuntu in my native language(german). Thats no problem because the errors of programs are in english anyway. I thought about switching to the english version but well, maybe I'll have a try afaik its kinda simple cause its all based on locals not on different programversions(like its on windows).

MedivhX
December 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
I use it now in English, but before I used ubuntu in Serbian but it looked stupid, and when I needed a tutorial how do do something, and in that tutorial u use sysem menu, I get confused, so I'm on English version now...

Kimm
December 2nd, 2006, 11:55 AM
I used to use the Swedish version, but when I upgraded from Warty to Hoary I changed it to English. Why? Tutorials work better, its easier to describe things to other people and it gives me a chance to practice my English.

iPower
December 2nd, 2006, 01:23 PM
mine is in Swedish (not my native language)

Sluipvoet
December 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
I use my native language version of Ubuntu(Dutch).
But if I have a problem I just log out and start an English session, so I can easily find a solution with Google.

xopher
December 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
I use the default, English language for my Edgy. I've had a windows which was swedish once, It was nice and all, but not really necessary. And as someone already pointed out - when reading how to's or giving advice to other people, it's so much easier when you have the English version.

Klaidas
December 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I use english. The translation of programs is too funny to be able to work normally.

Christmas
December 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
I always use the English language in all my applications and Ubuntu (well, Kubuntu in my case). That's because my native language is Romanian, which is a great language, but most of the terms in English that are not neologisms in Romanian don't sound quite good. It's the English language used to develop applications, it's the international language, it's the most complex and flexible in my opinion. The hardware and software manufacturers all develop with the English language so it's the first language that has all the terms. Now I'm using the EN_GB language (well that's just because I'm a fan of some British rock bands).

I also think that Romanian (it's the only language I know except English - not that I know too much English) or maybe any other language could be used successfully, but only if they were the languages used from the beginnings of the IT until now, which is not the case. However that way those languages would be used widely and would have the biggest vocabulary regarding IT terms.

Dual Cortex
December 2nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
My native language is Spanish, but I feel as comfortable in English (and probably more too) than in Spanish.
And, yeah, I can imagine it's also better because of support issues, etc.

engla
December 2nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
The Swedish version works fine and I appreciate all parts that are in swedish, even man pages. Looking around you can see that translations produced by the debian project are usually really good. I even wish more man pages were localized (currently only dpkg, apt and those tools have man pages in swedish).

LLRNR
December 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Ever since I started using computers, I used English. There's no other way... to be honest, I saw a few times OSs in my native language (Romanian) and certain other apps, but I was literally incapable of finding my way around. Sorry, I don't want to offend the translators, but for me in particular non-English IT-stuff don't sound good at all.

I also think that Romanian (...) or maybe any other language could be used successfully, but only if they were the languages used from the beginnings of the IT until now, which is not the case.

Maybe it's just me being stupid and all... but, Christmas, did you ever see, let's say, MS Office in Romanian ? :shock:

LLRNR

Christmas
December 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
LLRNR, salut :-) No, thank god I didn't see, I wouldn't want to get horrified, however what I wanted to say was that English, being the language which most of the software is developed, accumulated lots of new terms related to IT, from IRC abbreviations to many more used now in common technical English language. Notice, new terms. So I think the same could be available if Romanian, or any other language would be the language in which everything is developed. It would gain new terms, in Romanian, that would probably have Latin etymology. It's just a simple hypothesis, not a provable one.

LLRNR
December 2nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
Christmas, you're right, I agree with what you say, it could be so in a hypothetical system... still I'm GLAD it isn't so, thank God all IT development started in English ! :rolleyes:

LLRNR

shining
December 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
I'm currently using localized apps. I think it's important to keep its own language when possible.
That also allows me to check the status of the translation (quality and quantity). It's actually pretty good, and it'll hopefully stay this way.
People with difficulties in English should still have access to open source softwares.

dbbolton
December 3rd, 2006, 12:53 AM
i'm a native english speaker, but run ubuntu in german :/

dann0
December 3rd, 2006, 01:12 AM
I use the Swedish version. Perhaps I'll change it now when I've started to hang on English speaking forums.
I often give support to my non geek friends that doesn't understand/want to understand English.
However do I usually change the interface in OpenOffice.org to English.

Somenoob
December 3rd, 2006, 01:58 AM
My native language is crap when it comes to technical matters so i choose the English version. Which is also my preferd language.

tallman9
February 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
english, english and one more time english!
but russian to my newbie friends who never use their pc as much as I do.

total wormage
February 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
I use english. The translation of programs is too funny to be able to work normally.

copy that ;]]]]

i feel sorry for people who can't read English and try to read how-to's, wiki or just use their operating system.
the translations could get far more better, for instance in the dutch wiki there are sentences who switch from language .. that's a bit odd and not very helpful

karellen
February 23rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
english is the best language for describing technical terms, including those used in operating systems, computer science. all the os I used were in english and I've never thought of changing this, even if (of course!) english is not my native language. I'm very used to it, especially in computers

bullgr
February 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
I use my native language (Greek) everywhere i can and if it's easy to configure...

karellen
February 23rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
I use my native language (Greek) everywhere i can and if it's easy to configure...

well...it may sound a little weird, but I'm curious about Greek. can you say exactly the same thing in Greek? I want to see how it sounds like...:) (in fact how it's writen :D)
sorry if you find this awkward

total wormage
February 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
well...it may sound a little weird, but I'm curious about Greek. can you say exactly the same thing in Greek? I want to see how it sounds like...:) (in fact how it's writen :D)

lol, did you think the Greek language stopped developing after ancient Greek? :]]]]

BrokeBody
February 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
I just think an operation system is suppose to be in English.

:roll:

jocheem67
February 23rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
And why is that?

I think that English is an okay way of communicating throughout the world..however, the anglo-saxon culture ( sort of...) is already too prominent. Please let people be proud of their own language.
I'm Dutch and maybe it's funny to know that there's a project that's trying to translate ubuntu in "Fries" which is a language spoken by a minority in Holland. Let's say about 2 million people are using this language.
I think it's a good thing to keep OS'ses diverse.

hoagie
February 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM

I'm greek too and if you are talking about the part you quoted here you go:

Χρησιμοποιώ τη μητρική μου γλώσσα (Ελληνικά) ώπου μπορώ αν είναι εύκολο να την ρυθμίσω...
The last part "and if it's easy to configure" is a bit hard since I can't be sure about what he meant. I mean is it easy to configure the system or maybe something else? I still translated the full sentence.

Now back on topic. I use the English as my system language, I never tried my native language before.

karellen
February 23rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
:) no, I was just curious. an impulse, nothing more :D

EdThaSlayer
February 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Although my native language might be dutch, when living in other countries you kind of get used to english. Just to say this, I prefer english,and my english at the moment is much better than my dutch.

Kateikyoushi
February 23rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
I use the english version not that I am so good with that but can help out more easily in the forums.

xpod
February 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Well a dinnae ken if theres ever gonna be a version wae the Scottish dialect but um fair peeched muself an feeling just a wee bit peely wally the noo so uh just couldnae be daein it muself:lolflag:

Aye aye:rolleyes:

Imagine us Scots had done them English properly back in the day??????....THEN your how to`s would be fun eh..lol

karellen
February 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
thanks hoagie :)