PDA

View Full Version : Is Hoary beeing shipped?

steffengrundsoe
May 1st, 2005, 11:15 PM
I have searched the forums but i don't think i can find the answer.

Are the Hoary release CDs currently shipping? I've registered a long time before April, and there is still no CD's in the history in the shipit system.

TravisNewman
May 2nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
ditto. It takes them a while to make the cds after the release, so expect some delay. I haven't seen any concrete dates when they'll ship, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

defkewl
May 2nd, 2005, 08:29 AM
What do you expect from gratis? :))

Gandalf
May 2nd, 2005, 08:37 AM
well it isn't because it's gratis, but on high demand it can take a while you know!!!! specially it's not even a month since hoary has been released so expect a while!!!

Jussi Kukkonen
May 2nd, 2005, 12:37 PM

Well, 'expect' is maybe too demanding, but it would be great if there was even just a one-line note somewhere (like We've started shipping or Temporary difficulties, check back in two weeks).

I'll probably end up installing Fedora on my laptop since I have FC CDs right here, and don't know if/when my Ubuntu CDs will arrive... Too bad, I would have liked to test it.

DoubleDangerClub
May 2nd, 2005, 02:12 PM
I'll probably end up installing Fedora on my laptop since I have FC CDs right here, and don't know if/when my Ubuntu CDs will arrive... Too bad, I would have liked to test it.

Seriously, whining that you'll install Fedora won't make your CDs magically appear. Why don't you ask if someone can send you one, or get a friend to download it and burn it for you? It really seems lazy to just expect Ubuntu to be like, "OMG, I have to get these out right now because they don't have a burner or the internet!"

I don't mean to be rude, but come on, try a little if you're really interested.

DDC

Jussi Kukkonen
May 2nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
It really seems lazy to just expect Ubuntu to be like, "OMG, I have to get these out right now because they don't have a burner or the internet!"

Hmm, if this is what my message sounded like I need to apologize.

I was trying to politely point out that the Ubuntu web site and these forums seem to be missing an important (possibly easily obtainable) piece of inormation. My point was not to 'threaten' anyone with Fedora (as if that was even possible :)), it was just an anecdote explaining why the piece of information could have been useful. I definitely was not implying that someone must do as I say: At least I tried to start the message as politely and non-imperatively as possible.

I apologize for failing to deliver my message appropriately.

DoubleDangerClub
May 2nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
No worries. I'm excited for the CDs to be released too. In the meantime, if you need a copy of the CD, private message me, I can burn one off and send it out. :)

DDC

Jussi Kukkonen
May 6th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not exactly next door from Oklahoma. . . I'll bug a friend like you suggested if I really really want to get Ubuntu before shipit.ubuntulinux.org send me one.

By the way, the shipit FAQ has changed. It now says We are currently mailing CDs first to people who did not receive Warty Warthog CDs. Once we have finished with these, we will mail people who have come back and updated their orders.

[Edit:] My CDs have arrived in the nick of time -- tomorrow was my scheduled install day! I'm writing this from the live CD distro, which means that Ubuntu works out of the box with my ancient HP laptop. Impressive.

If someone is still anxiously waiting for the CDs, here is my "order info": I ordered the CDs around the middle of March (Preview Release time) and I live in Finland.